Max Gill and Grill
1052 S. Gaylord St
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Gill and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxgillandgrill.com/
- Phone: 303-722-7456
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (Bar opens @ 3pm for Happy Hour)
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (3pm for Happy Hour)
Bar Open Nightly Until 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Rafael Najera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Max Gill and Grill
Specializing in the freshest seafood and raw bar along with the finest spit roasted and grilled cuisine, Max Gill and Grill serves really great liquids amid praiseworthy food. In addition to our nightly specials we will also have Soft Shell Crab Specials every friday!!!! Check out our website at www.MaxGillandGrill.com for all updatesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Max Gill and Grill - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Max Gill and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (100)vibrant bar scene (46)great for outdoor dining (38)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (28)good for groups (26)hot spot (20)romantic (20)kid-friendly (19)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (12)late-night find (11)notable wine list (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- great fish!!LoveColoradoVIPDined on 7/25/2014Go to Max Gill and Grill for the freshest, most well prepared fish in Denver, at a reasonable price. The bamboo steamed mahi mahi was so moist and delicious. My husband had the salmon, also great. We rarely eat everything on our plates, but we did Friday night. My only complaint was how freezing cold the restaurant was, but the staff tried to remedy that, and it was much more pleasant later. We had Key Lime pie which was a great end to an outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CriticismDissatisfiedDined on 7/25/2014Altho' we arrived on time we had to wait for our table 15-20 min. There were 5 of us and we were told the restaurant only had 2 tables for 5...BUT, 2 four top tables could have been shoved together. While we waited a good number of couples were seated.Special Features:
- Land locked Seafood JointBuckyVIPDined on 7/24/2014If you want the closest thing to a beachside seafood joint, Max G&G is the place. Nicely prepared seafood , reasonably priced, and racous atmosphere may this the casual neighborhood Wash Park spot. Lots of seafood choices prepared anyway one could want. Service a little spotty but the management is more than happy to get your meal the way you like. Don't forget nightly specials that are great. I had the all you can eat pork ribs that were fall off the bone delicious for $16. It should be called all you can wait for ribs. Frustrating to wait for refills so I gave up after the initial batch. A family favorite for good food at a reasonable price. Favs goat cheese,pear, & garlic,steamed mussels/clams & cioppinoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Living up to its reputation...CorkerDivineDined on 7/23/2014From the frontline greeting to the "see you again soon", Max's GandG simply and exquisitely provides for its guests. The Gaylord community of restaurants are all good. What makes Max's go from good to great is the desire to please and make the evening perfect. I have never had a bad experience here. Each aspect of the dining was a custom-fit. Service. Food. Ambience. Nice.Special Features:
- Quality has gone down considerablyswaynewilsonDined on 7/20/2014We celebrated our son's 19th birthday several years ago at Max Gill & Grill. The food was wonderful and matched by equally great service. I wish I could say the same for this time. The service was quite poor even though the restaurant was only about 1/3 full on a Sunday night. My wife's salmon was overcooked and dry and my steak oscar was also dry. My entree was served on a chipped plate. We will not be going back, there are far too many great restaurants in Denver to waste our time with mediocre food and poor service.
- SusanVIPDined on 7/18/2014Best lobster roll ever, & they let me substitute asparagus for fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of homewashparkthDined on 7/13/2014I grew up in Mystic, Connecticut and regard Max Gill as my seafood home away from home. They have the best lobster roll outside of the shacks in my old hometown! Their oysters are always super fresh, as well. When it comes to seafood, freshness is paramount and Max Gill always has great fish. Be prepared to speak up when talking to your dining partner, as the place is always jumping and everyone is having a great time.Special Features:
- Consistent good food - poor servicenene722VIPDined on 7/12/2014We live close by so we head in occasionally for the oysters and selection of fish. We would frequent more often if the staff at the bars were more friendly. If you are sitting at a table in the dining room the wait staff is generally friendly and attentive. The front and back bars are a different story. We were recently in on a Saturday around 6:30 with a party of 8. We had a reservation for 6 but had two added at the last moment so we were told to go to the back bar. The bartender and staff were sitting around the bar and not pleased to see a large group come in (???). We had to move the tables to accommodate our group and the bartender was not friendly in serving or assisting us. The oysters are great...Special Features:
- AnniversaryNewplaceDined on 7/6/2014Great place to come for a seafood dinner. Wife had rainbow trout and was outstanding. Also very mindful of folks who are gluten free. Prime rib was okay. Have had better elsewhere. All in all, will be back and bring friends. Prices also in line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scallops were deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Everything the 4 of us ordered was great except the fried calamari was dry and we would have liked more of the peppers - the best part of that appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gggrrreeeaattt!!!!BecfulDined on 7/5/2014This was our first time at the restaurant. We loved it. The crab legs and salmon and polenta was scrumptious. The service was excellent and the ambience nice. Will go there again.Special Features:
- BettyVIPDined on 7/5/2014We frequent this restaurant, especially during happy hours during the week. We had dinner Saturday evening which was a nice evening, however our wait person was unattentive, got some things wrong and it just wasn't what we were used to. Possibly she was new. She smiled a lot and tried very hard, but not what we are used to.Special Features:
- Girls NightstephalynnDined on 7/2/2014We love this place for their sangria and tacos. Always friendly service and a great atmosphere with food perfect for sharing and catching up over.Special Features:
- Love this placeReedVIPDined on 6/29/2014It's consistently good! So glad they brought back the chocolate cake. It's awesome!Special Features:
- Food was decent, but not terrificRunner02Dined on 6/28/2014We tried Max GIll & Grill using a Groupon voucher. It was a decent enough meal in a sports-bar type atmosphere. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to boast about either (except our son said the fries were really great). I had the grilled Copper river Salmon and vegetables (both could have used a bit more flavor...but they were OK). My husband had the Mahi Mahi and commented that his was about the same. The dessert serving (a chocolate cake) was HUGE (both my son and husband shared and we still had about 1/2 left over). The service was very good and atmosphere energetic.Special Features:
- Such a fun evening!datenightersDined on 6/28/2014We had a great meal at Max's Gill and Grill, starting with some of the best raw oysters I've had in a long time. They were so fresh and delicious, and a great bargain during happy hour. Our dinners were really good, the clam chowder was very tasty, and my lemon drop martini was just what the doctor ordered. I love the Old Gaylord neighborhood as well as the atmosphere of Max's. Service was exemplary. Quite a treat.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodKellySDined on 6/27/2014We ordered from the raw menu, a grand seafood tower and enjoyed everything. The "king crab legs" were not large like we have had before, so we were a little disappointed in those, but everything else was fantastic. I am not usually a fan of the fried seafood, but my boyfriend ordered a couple of fried oysters and they were amazing! A very light and crunchy batter with sesame seeds. OMG! Delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine experience.lhowVIPDined on 6/27/2014Good selection of oysters and the seafood was delicious and well prepared.Special Features:
- fish--fresh and fabuloussarahagnesDined on 6/25/2014excellent food, friendly and patient waiter, crisp wine--everything we wantedSpecial Features:
- oscar11oscar11Dined on 6/21/2014This is a fun, friendly spot to dine with friends. Our food was delicious and our server was pleasant and attentive. I made reservations through Open Table and our booth was ready when we arrived. Great experience!Special Features:
- Great Place!GetTacosDined on 6/18/2014I was referred by a friend to come to Max. It's great! By word of mouth, I'm spreading it around to everyone else to come. Wednesdays are our favorites b/c of dollar tacos. We spend more on alcohol there than tacos anyway. What a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Beat the Lobster!jerryVIPDined on 6/14/2014Saturday nights Max serves PERFECTLY prepared succulent Maine Lobster for $19.99. The presentation is awesome. Drawn butter and corn on the Cobb complete the perfect, cozy and casual date night with my wife. In winter we snuggle up by the fireplace. Good Filet Mignon (minus blue cheese butter) which I ask them not to slice. The clams in white wine and garlic are delicious! I haven't tried anything else because there is NO NEED. :-)Special Features:
- Good Food, Super ServiceStacheCacheDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I really enjoyed a pre-summer Friday night dinner on the back patio. Our server, Kristen, was upbeat, knowledgeable and just plain delightful. We felt completely welcome! Our dinners were very good, our bottle of Rose perfect for a pre-summer outdoor meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my Denver faves!PhillyGirlDined on 6/13/2014Coming from the a East Coast and a bit of a seafood snob... Max's Gill & Grill feels and tastes like home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveVIPDined on 6/11/2014This is a great restaurant. The seafood is fresh with large selection and the atmosphere reminds one of a restaurant on the beach of North Carolina. A terrific bar happening scene. Outstanding happy hour with great prices and terrifically priced appetizers. Wednesday night is taco night --highly recommended. I look forward to my return to Denver so I can revisit this eatery. One last point. The appetizer of grilled calamari is probably the best presentation I've had anywhere. I travel extensively and this is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gemMAKNebraskaDined on 6/7/2014Very nice hidden gem tucked in a great neighborhood and with quaint streets and shops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly cooked HalibutMissKittyDined on 6/6/2014We visit Max Gill and Grill often, and are usually very happy with our meals, but unfortunately, on this visit I ordered Halibut, which was on the specials list, and it was way over-cooked. The server had them redo it, and by the time it came back out, everyone else was almost finished eating, and I was pretty full from munching on fries. Also, the second time around was not much better, and still quite dried out. Halibut must be cooked with care, especially on the grill, so it seems like if you are going to feature it, especially on the specials list, you should take care to make sure it's done right... I adore grilled halibut, and it was really disappointing... oh well, live and learn - won't be ordering that at Max's again :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014THE FOOD WAS GREAT AND SO WAS THE SERVICE. THE NOISE LEVEL IN HIGHSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great grillfoodfetishDined on 5/23/2014Great local spot, with tasty food, Ltd. Friendly, and outstanding ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly; yet unattentiveBW00VIPDined on 5/18/2014Service was that odd 'good yet horrible' experience. When our server was interacting with us, she came across as very genuine; however, we saw very little of her - or any other wait staff for that matter. Extremely long for initial water, then much longer wait for drink order. Service experience for food cut from the same mold. We actually considered getting up and walking next door to the MANY other restos in the same vicinity that 'get' customer service.
- BBQ ribs nightlyt150Dined on 5/15/2014We were seated at 2ppl table that was WAY, too small by fireplace For All our food to fit :( there were booth avail But she was never suggested that we could Move when she clearly saw we had no Room to eat. Dinner was uncomfortable! Therefore we did Not take full advantage of the all you can eat ribs:( there was no room to eat!! :( also place was not busy at all and still felt ignored by the waitress:( Just Sad all around!! Last but not least my friend was here from Puerto Rico and was not pleased at all :(Special Features:
- Consistently Great!JillyVIPDined on 5/14/2014I love the grill, especially taco night (Wednesday). Great staff and fun environment. Mathew is a terrific waiter and bartender, upbeat and positive energy.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Lived in Denver my whole life and this place is a gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placekristinDined on 5/9/2014Great neighborhood restaurant Delicious food, fun atmosphere & great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SupriseBeargirlDined on 5/2/2014We have been meeting friends for dinner (or the science lounge) every month or so for about 5 years now and we have had some very nice dinners, some average dinners and some that were...enough said. This restaurant ranks up at the top. The food was REALLY good and we loved the atmosphere. It is hard to describe... you have to experience it for yourself. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. The only downside is parking, but we found a place about 2 blocks away and we had a nice evening walk before and after dinner!Special Features:
- What fun!OkobojibelleVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is a fun place to have dinner. There is lots of energy, a great mix of families and couples and groups. The wait staff were attentive. The food was good and I had some special requests and they were more than accomodating. We will be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentdeboVIPDined on 4/19/2014Their lobster roll would make you think you're in Maine. Salmon was prepared very well. Great service keep up the good workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad servicemikeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Slowest service ever. Made the whole experience bad.
- Great dinner with familyDisappointedDined on 4/17/2014We had some out of town family with us to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. They absolutely loved the restaurant. Such a great menu with diverse offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualRonNDined on 4/14/2014The food was excellent as usual. We have neve had a less than great dish here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.