Max Gill and Grill
1052 S. Gaylord St
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Gill and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxgillandgrill.com/
- Phone: (303) 722-7456
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (Bar opens @ 3pm for Happy Hour)
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (3pm for Happy Hour)
Bar Open Nightly Until 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Rafael Najera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Max Gill and Grill
Specializing in the freshest seafood and raw bar along with the finest spit roasted and grilled cuisine, Max Gill and Grill serves really great liquids amid praiseworthy food. In addition to our nightly specials we will also have Soft Shell Crab Specials every friday!!!! Check out our website at www.MaxGillandGrill.com for all updatesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Max Gill and Grill - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Max Gill and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (90)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (35)vibrant bar scene (32)special occasion (27)hot spot (26)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (16)romantic (16)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- Don't Let Them Cook Anything (just go w/ oysters)FoodCriticVIPDined on 11/25/2014Nice place with good ambiance - seemingly a cure neighborhood place in Wash Park. However, dear Lord their chef is utterly lacking in talent. Appetizers and meals were less than mediocre - the only thing which was worthwhile was the oysters (and the cocktails were good as well). Service is very good, the place has a good vibe, but seriously why does the food have to be so bad? Very disappointing.
- Great ExperienceSammyDined on 11/24/2014I really wish I could remember our servers name, but I can't. She was wonderful. My friend was running late, but I told our server that when my friend gets here that she'll have an unsweetened iced tea with a LIME. And she remembered the lime (most people forget and do a lemon out of habit...which is understandable). She was attentive and nice. Both my friend and I's phones died during the meal and we stayed past the close of the restaurant, but our server was very sweet about it. (As a former server, I know it's annoying when people stay past closing hours). Thank you for serving us well and being gracious when we stayed too late. Oh and the food was soooooo amazing. I had the lobster and shrimp pasta dish...as a New Englander who misses being by the ocean it was nice to taste big pieces of lobster in my dish. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Max Gill every time we go!zuukmanDined on 11/23/2014The ambiance reminds me of an old boathouse in Maine, romantic and quaint, with consistently good service and food. We started the evening at one of the two bar tables near the front windows, but as it was cold out, the air was quite chilly there. The hostess then nicely moved us to one of the tables near the fireplace. Our waitress was pleasant and conversant, and very experienced with the menu choices, deftly answering all of our questions. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and service, food disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014We have always loved the atmosphere and the service at Max's, however the last few times we have gone, we have been disappointed with the food. We ordered Alaskan King Legs with asparagus and potato wedges. Instead of receiving just asparagus, we also received brocolini. There was more brocolini on the plate than asparagus. The potato wedges seemed to be only half-way cooked. The King Crab was delicious, however the portion seemed small, and we were each give a huge claw, which I'm sure made up a lot of the weight limit allowed per serving. The claws don't have near as good meat and they are very difficult to get into. By the time we were done with our meal, we felt that we were just wetting our appetite with the crab, and then it was gone. We still love the atmosphere, but will probably go somewhere else to eat King Crab Legs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite restaurantDisappointedDined on 11/13/2014Great food, great staff, great neighborhood.....could you ask for anything more? We came for dinner and were so pleasantly surprised with the treatment from when we walked through the door. We came in from subzero weather, and although there was a nice table fairly close to the front, was told that every time the door opened, it would get very cold. The hostess then seated us closer to the middle of the restaurant. The lighting was perfect, the smells amazing, the warmth of this place was like your living room with a bunch of old friends and family. I was there with my 14 year old, self professed, foodie daughter. Our server, Julie, made us feel like we were the most important people in the room, as I saw her treating everyone. Even a couple that hadn't been to the restaurant in a long time, she remembered special things about them. The food was amazing! I had the surf and turf with an incredible sauce, while my daughter had the swordfish with sauces chosen from a list of flavors. Usually a surf n turf plate would be lacking in anything else, and you would be left wishing for more food, but there was a salad, fingerling potatoes, not made to fill you up, but rather, to make a very appealing plate. I went to work the next day, telling all my coworkers about this place. We will be coming back for their prime rib night, and any night we want that friendly, neighborhood feel....kind of like those wonderful after ski places we Coloradans all love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food relaxed atmosphere in Wash ParkGreatVIPDined on 11/11/2014A great neighborhood restaurant. Service is friendly and helpful. Food is good and you never feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualRonNDined on 11/8/2014Although our favorite waitress Kristen was not there, we had an excellent waiter who took care of everythingSpecial Features:
- birthday celebrationdeboVIPDined on 11/8/2014I celebrated my birthday and had the Sat.night lobster special. Very good. Tim did a great job serving us and making wine recommendations and describing some of the dishes. Best clam chowder in town! and I've tried lots. Thanks for keeping up the consistency and quality of your product. It is certainly appreciated. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Great food, excellent service, good neighborhood location.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Overall busy neighborhood bar. Ambience choice of fireplace, bar adjacency good. Could get a bit noisy, it appears to have good outside dining. Parking a huge plus with valet! Actually because of valet parking I would go again, the food I would say is average, lobster bisque good. I had lobster roll, a little bland but plenty of lobster,Special Features:
- Great AgainJennifetVIPDined on 11/4/2014Max has been a favorite seafood place for me. The meal is always very fresh but reasonably priced. Our waiter was wonderful and very honest by letting us know that the kitchen was backed up and our meal would be a bit coming out behind schedule. We understood. These things happen and appreciated him letting us know. Look forward to our next visitSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Not as good as it has been in the past and especially for the price.
- OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I had never been to Max Gill and Grill but I'd read the reviews on the internet so we made a reservation for 6:00pm. This place is so popular that I'd definitely recommend a reservation, and was very crowded. We were hoping for a booth so adjourned to the bar for wine and oysters during the happy hour, and ended up with a great table instead as we had a show to catch downtown. Oysters were delicious, service impeccable both at the bar and at the table. Don't miss the lobster bisque which had been raved about in the reviews. So delicious. We had lobster, crab cakes for appetizer, and blackened salmon. Wonderful key lime pie. All spectacularly prepared. Don't miss this place.Special Features:
- 26OCTDined on 10/25/2014we always enjoy Max... this place is where we go when we want good food a nd service.Special Features:
- Great as usualRonNDined on 10/18/2014Kristen is a great server and the food was excellent as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014We needed a place close to DU fore a pre-event meal. This place suited the bill. Parking is an issue but other than that, we got it, we ate and got to the theater on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Max Gill & GrillHpy2bmeDined on 10/11/2014It was a very pleasurable dining experience, everything we ordered was outstanding (presentation, taste & temperature). Allie was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTED!!!!!JankossVIPDined on 10/7/2014We have dined here many times and have a,ways been happy. This visit was an exception. The menu has changed and my husband's favorite dish was no longer offered. He decided to order a tenderloin steak. When delivered it was clearly not acceptable and another was brought. It was also not a good piece of meat. In their favor, the staff at the restaurant did their best to rectify a bad situation, but this left a bad taste in our mouth. I will say that the other 3 orders were good and that one person has food issues that were well taken care of.Special Features:
- Food just fell shortEatingAsAnExperienceDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I both selected a daily special. We were quite excited as she had the Alaskan King Salmon which the sauces were full of flavor and very good but she ordered the salmon to enjoy the great natural flavor of the salmon itself. The meat was almost tasteless. It seemed the sauces were there to mask the very ordinary piece of fish that was on her plate. For me I had a squid ink pasta dish with baby octopus and shrimp. The pasta was cook well and had good texture. I was most interested however in the flavor of the octopus which similar to the salmon fell short in flavor. They were flavorless little nuggets of rubber. I have to say the creativity of the dish was what excited me just the flavor over all fell short in both dishes.
- LovesvolleyballDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic menu. Our server, Rob, was instrumental in helping us select the proper cooking technique and sauce parings for our choices. DELISH!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and ReliabeeatoutalotVIPDined on 9/27/2014This spot has been a neighborhood staple for years. It's never going to blow the doors off in the culinary department but the food is decent and reasonably priced, the atmosphere is fun and welcoming. This is not your spot for "fine dining"...think Key West patio fish fry! But the fun people....That's what keeps us coming back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!YummyVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is the second time I've been here and both times, I have really enjoyed Max's Gill and Grill! The staff was very friendly, the food excellent! I would highly recommend this restaurant to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic find.RilesDined on 9/24/2014Looking for great food and 5 star service, this is the place. We were only in Denver 2 nights and after our first meal at Max Gill and Grill, we decided to look no further and returned second night. Our server was Rob and he did a fantastic job both nights. They prepare the food the way you want it and you can substitute sides to suit your taste. This is a must try restaurant.Special Features:
- Avoid the steak oscar1234VIPDined on 9/17/2014We live relatively close to Max Gill and Grill, and stop by for dinner or appetizers once a month or so. It was very busy for a Wednesday, and the noise level in the front room made it almost impossible to talk. This time, we decided to have the Steak Oscar - what's not to like about a steak with a crabcake? Max does great crab cakes, and this time was no exception. Moist, tasty - melt in your mouth. But the steak was a really bad cut of meat - tough, hard to cut even with a steak knife. The chipotle hollandaise was also a bit strange -- the texture was all wrong for hollandaise. It was more the consistency of mashed sweet tomatoes. I would steer away from this combination and just get the crab cakes by themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencejohnandmicheDined on 9/6/2014My fiance and I are definitely foodies and very discriminating about where we dine. Max Grill serves sensational food and their service is excellent. My intended is from New Orleans and is used to exceptional food. We both were certainly not disappointed at this star restaurant. Not only is the seafood great, we also tried their barbecue as an appetizer. Wow! We have dined at Max Grill twice within 30 days, and plan to eat there again soon.Special Features:
- Always the best seafood in Denver!SeafoodfanaticVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is the Hurd time we have spent our anniversary at Max Gill and Grill. We could go somewhere else fancier, or closer to our home in Arvada, but we always come back to Max! The Cioppino is scrumptious. The service is always impeccable. We love sitting out on the patio under the lighted trees where it is private and relaxing. Everything we have eaten there is excellent and we will be back, many times over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodGonrossVIPDined on 8/31/2014We dine here often. Food is consistently very good. Something for everyone. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TasteVIPDined on 8/30/2014Nice waitress, friendly warm place, good ribs, and oysters were fresh and tastety.Special Features:
- Excellent SeafoodAllysonKDined on 8/29/2014The service at Max was excellent. We were immediately taken to our table and the waitstaff was very attentive even thogth the retaurant was busy. The crabcakes made a nice appetizer. The swordfish and cioppino were coolked perfectly. Only complaint was the 12 hour lamb was way underseasoned.Special Features:
- Good meal--definitely going backDTCdinerDined on 8/28/2014We gave Max a try during Restaurant Week, and had a pretty good meal. Everything was high-quality, and the atmosphere was laid-back. Our server was excellent, and very on top of things without being intrusive. He gets bonus points for not asking that awful question, "How's everything tasting for you?" Between the three of us, we had the macadamia trout, asian tuna salad, and a burger, and all were executed nicely and tasted great. If you don't like noise, stay away from the front room and ask to sit in one of the rooms back near the bar. We were in the room next to the patio and probably would have asked to sit there if it hadn't been rainy.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseneighborhoodcriticDined on 8/27/2014First visit. Food and service were first rate. We had the Lobster Bisque & Clam Chowder as part of the meal---both were excellent. Would return there for those items alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week Meal!AnyonomousDined on 8/26/2014Great restaurant week options - the Lobster Bisque is fantastic!
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My Husband and I really enjoyed Max Gill and Grill. The food and service was wonderful. Great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealjohnandmicheDined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful evening at Max Grill. The food was great as well as the atmosphere. Dessert was decadent and worth it.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemGaryVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was a great find! First time diners and not yet familiar with this neighborhood, but this one is a keeper. Interesting cocktails, great menu, and impressive friendly service from Julie. I'll be back! Excellent value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Value, good foodSuperZinetteDined on 8/16/2014Where else can you find a very fresh and tasty lobster for 19.99? That's the Saturday night special. Other nights offer specials on oysters, crayfish, etc. Good, fresh seafood in Denver at a reasonable price is so appreciated. Set in the fun and happening Wash Park Gaylord neighborhood.sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Relaxing CelebrationDRRDDined on 8/15/2014Excellent. Brought my parents here while they were in town. They absolutely adored the atmosphere and the food was perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedJesZDined on 8/15/2014Had family in town and wanted to take them to a place that had a little bit for everyone. Arrived at 6:00 place a drink order and shortly after placed our food order. 7:00 hits and our food has yet to come and our waitress hasn't even stopped by to fill our water glasses. Finally, our food arrives. Fish is overcooked and lukewarm (if that). Our waiter was clearly avoiding us which made me even more upset. This isn't the most expensive place around, but paying $26 for entrees we can't enjoy is more than enough reason not to try this place again. I'll be back for happy hour, but will not be coming by for dinner.
- lighthouseladyDined on 8/14/2014Thought it was a little pricey for what you got - taste was good.Special Features:
- Awesome Place!GetTacosDined on 8/13/2014I love going to Max Gill and Grill, especially one Wednesdays for dollar taco night. I took a school group there just recently and we all loved the venue, food, and service. This is definitely a place I'll go back to. Thanks!Special Features: