City Place, 185 Asylum St.
Hartford, CT 06103Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxdowntown.com/
- Phone: 8605222530
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Hunter Morton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two rooms, one can accommodate 48 and the second, 26.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Abrams 8605222530
A word from Max Downtown
Max Downtown is one of Hartford's premiere restaurants located in the center of the bustling business and cultural district. Under the careful guidance of owners Richard Rosenthal and Steve Abrams, Max Downtown provides outstanding food and trend-setting atmosphere for over three hundred patrons daily. Max Downtown's innovative cuisine includes Pacific Rim inspired dishes as well as a superb selection of traditional Chop House classics. An experienced staff of over forty people provide an in depth knowledge of Max's unique menu and extensive wine list. The sophisticated Max Downtown garnered a three star rating from the New York Times, and a 26 rating from Zagat's Survey for three consecutive years. The Hartford Courant's Northeast Magazine bestowed Max Downtown with its highest four star rating. For lighter yet equally exciting fare, as well as world famous martinis, a stop a Max Downtown's Tavern is essential.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Max Downtown - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Max Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (175)fit for foodies (118)notable wine list (117)romantic (106)good for groups (66)great for lunch (49)hot spot (48)vibrant bar scene (48)neighborhood gem (34)late-night find (18)great for brunch (10)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- darleneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This was my second time dining at MAX Downtown. The food as usual was excellent, the service great and the ambiance superb. I am becoming addicted to dining at MAX Downtown because I am made to feel comfortable and appreciated by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HabibiDined on 8/29/2014This is my favorite restaurant, great ambiance and excellent service. but the special Labor Day weekend dinner of lobster was disappointing because it was not up to the usually high standard of MAX Downtown. However, I am looking forward to the next occasion to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasions CelebratedPittsburghandHartfordDined on 8/26/2014Max Downtown is my favorite restaurant in Hartford and our visit there yesterday confirmed all my previous experiences. The food was excellent, the service was impeccable and our server even suggested a birthday dessert for the one celebration that we had. We had great celebrations that were both relaxing and sociable thanks to Max's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Max in HartfordDoomsdayPeppersDined on 8/23/2014I took my girlfriend there for our 5 year anniversary and we had a fantastic meal. If you like steak and lobster, please shell out the extra cash for the "Oscar" which is a lobster crusted filet mignon (what I had). She had the regular Filet Mignon and stated it was the best filet she has ever had. The plates were spaced out perfectly, giving us plenty of time between our salads and entrees to talk and enjoy the night. Overall, the experience was great. They even gave us a free desert and wrote "Happy Anniversary" on the plate, just because the hostess/manager asked us what we were there for when we sat down. Pricey place, but I think its worth it. Definitely recommended for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant!!!LovelabsDined on 8/23/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate my daughter and son-in-law's wedding anniversary. They live in Palmer, Ma and we live in New Hartford. I thought it would be a great halfway restaurant and it came highly recommended by my bosses. It was everything I thought it would be. Great food and service. Comp dessert and wine for the celebration. I could not have picked a better place. Thank you for making the evening special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as good as nycDrG18Dined on 8/16/2014I have dined at Max Downtown several times and have never been disappointed. The seafood tower is excellent and the steak is as good as Sparks or any quality NYC steakhouse. Similar prices but less driving and valet parking is a deal.Special Features:
- great lunchoutstandingVIPDined on 8/14/2014Met a friend for business lunch. Food and service were very good. I have a gluten intolerance and the waiter was able to ensure that I was accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max DowntownfabulousdinnerDined on 8/13/2014A fabulous dining experience. Greeted warmly at the door. The waiter (Jared) was attentive and extremely helpful. The food choices were plentiful. The food quality was top notch. We had 5 delicious different entrees. Max was the perfect choice for a joyful celebration.Special Features:
- Another excellent ding experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Exceptional food and service as usual. Always a pleasure to dine at Max Downtown.Special Features:
- Outstanding as Always!majmomDined on 8/8/2014Once again Max Downtown does not disappoint! The food and service were exceptional with a special "shout out" to our server Jack. His extensive knowledge of the food and wine is top notch and his suggestions always spot-on - so much so that we hardly ever pick anything ourselves at Max's anymore - we ask Jack for suggestions and go with them - and we are always glad we did! The stuffed veal chop, bone in prime rib, striper and of course seafood tower appetizer were all superb and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Needless to say we will be back!Special Features:
- Great steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Great steak! New York strip to die for, (the New York strip au poivre a bit less stellar). Good wine but not outstanding, OK dessert, espresso so-so. Nice ambiance, a place where you can actually carry out a conversation without shouting over the music or other patrons' noise. A very nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having lived in CT now for 10 yearsChocluvDined on 8/4/2014I have not dined much in the Hartford area however learning about the Max's Group. I didn't realize that Max's Downtown was just down the street from Theatreworks and Hartford Stage! This is a wonderful restaurant with great ambiance. I like the high ceilings and spaciousness of the dining area. The server, Alissa, was friendly and answered many of my questions about the menu. I felt relaxed and not rushed. I was especially honored to meet Steve and Rachel! The food was delicious from appetizers (local & Canadian Oysters) to the mussel dish, the bread with the Hawaiian salt and my steak was seasoned perfectly. This is a special place- I think I may try lunch next and the come to Jazz night. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- Poor PolicyShortsBanVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food & svc was great, however, we were forced to sit in the LOUD bar b/c one of our guests was wearing shorts. He was better dressed that half the guests in jeans and polo shirts. Not sure why a Hartford restaurant thinks they can compare to The Hamptons but unfortunately will not go back The food & staff were great! The waitress overheard me telling my party why we were forced to be seated in the bar and agreed it was an outdated policy. They did a great job with trying to make up for this poor policy by offering us complimentary champagne, side dish, and 3 different desserts for our bday guest which was greatly appreciated! My only complaint is with the policy. The $400 we spent on 4 ppl will be gladly taken elsewhere next time.
- not impressed in any wayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014The food was not good we actaully went to Max Downtown because it was Taste of Hartford and liked the menu listed on the web site, to say my food was not good was an understatement. My bake stuffed lobster tail was mostly stuffing of some sort I really could not tell the ingredients it was not good, the lobster meat tough. It will be another several years before we try it again if ever!
- Taste of hartford menuLuandavDined on 8/3/2014Delicious dinner and outstanding service. Taste of hartford event a plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eyes on the TasteWizardDined on 8/3/2014Fantastic place to unwind and have a special meal. The meal was presented with flourish, flavor explosion and color. The fig salad was a great taste and texture surprise. The stuffed lobster had all the flavor you need. Fresh fruit desert filled in the circle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrmuffin27Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent dinner! Food us always wonderful there! Always enjoy any of the Max's restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Portions were good sized and food was good, but husband order wild Alaskan salmon and got sockeye. We wanted a special bottle of wine that they had on sale, but they said they didn't have it. So loud we couldn't even hear the waitress.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014I've eaten at Max Downtown many times this was the first time I was disappointed. Dry swordfish. Hard white beans. Just a bad meal all around for me. James Czahur
- 311mbVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went to max during restaurant week. Even though the special menu was limited, the choices were excellent. Lobster tail was great and flavorful. The managers came to each table to see about satisfaction.The only thing was the seating. As is true with other max restaurants, when you go with 2 or 3 women you are always seated in the back of the place. Why is that ?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Food was incredible as usual. This is our favorite special night out place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- House Champaign is fantasticRheaDined on 8/1/2014Be sure to have the sommelier saber the bottle for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenumfuryhopDined on 8/1/2014The food was delicious and the service was absolutely wonderful. However the noise level from surrounding tables was a bit high for it to be romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining ecperienceluvgoodfood1Dined on 8/1/2014The food, drinks and atmosphere were great. Our waitress was unattentive. She seemed as though she was forced to wait on us. Other staff were friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Max Downtown was a lovely experience. You enjoyed a perfectly cooked, delicious meal with a piano player singing songs of Elton John & Billy Joel. The food was fantastic! I never tasted such a delicious stuffed lobster. We were treated like royalty!Special Features:
- Always impressedhappycoupleDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I have been dining at Max Downtown for nearly 15 years. The food is always excellent and the service exceptional. It is number one on our list for special occasions and for a romantic night out. I recommend that everyone try Max Downtown at least once. More than likely, you'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little frazzled by GF & DFNYCLadyDined on 7/31/2014We are gluten-free, diary free and our waitress was so frazzled by our requests it took 15 minutes to get water. Then, when I would requests a GF roll, they would bring me one. Given that I ate 4 (special treat) I had to keep asking for them and waiting 15 minutes for them to heat them up which was annoying. Why not put 2-3 on the table and call it a day? I ordered the salmon, which normally is superb, but it was a tad bit dry and overcooked this time. They did a good job accommodating my needs on dessert and had a great wine selection. Manager was super friendlySpecial Features:
- RW dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014The place is nice and the service is good. However the food was so so not what I expected for a high end restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014We dine at Max Restaurants often, and always have wonderful food and great service. Max Downtown is our favorite spot for fine dining or a drink and a bite to eat at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Go WrongcttwinDined on 7/29/2014Whenever there is a Hartford Restaurant Week the first place we choose is Max Downtown. You just can't go wrong. It is out of our budget as a regular dinning spot so we look forward to any incentive to encourage us to come to Hartford. The food is always excellent as is the service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Taste of Hartford - 2014caelplVIPDined on 7/29/2014What a great way to see/taste what Max DT is cooking up in their kitchen! Loved all (3) courses!Special Features:
- What a Special Lunch!dawnlogancushDined on 7/29/2014I convinced 4 of my colleagues to come here for the Taste of Hartford celebration, and they all walked away extremely happy! The service, as always, was impecabble, and it begins the moment you walk in the door. Our waiter was extremely professional and took our 5 orders without pen and pad. The food was outstanding! Two of us had the filet mignon, two had the lobster rigatoni, and one had the salmon-crab cakes. Everyone loved their meal. By the way, the mashed potatoes were the best I've ever had! The only mis-step was that the servers gave me my colleague's medium-rare filet, and he got my rare. No big deal, we merely switched plates. Forgetful me forgot to give the waiter my Max Advantage card, but no big deal. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuloutnaboutDined on 7/28/2014Everything including the food, service, wine, and surroundings were great. We enjoyed both the NY strip, which was phenomenal, as well as the chicken. The figs with prosciutto and cheese - killer. And the desserts (if you have room) are also fantastic and fresh: personal favorite was the fresh berries parfait. Service was very accommodating and attentive, but not stifling. To sum up - great experience.Special Features:
- Always good!fun2eatDined on 7/28/2014Food and service is consistently good. Great locally sourced, seasonal items on the menu. Very creative with old standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekFoodieFindsDined on 7/28/2014I recommended you this morning! I talked about the food and how inventive and fresh it is. The staff was very attentive. It made you want to make this a part of your regular experiences. We frequent Max Oyster all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrateCelebrateDined on 7/28/2014Two seniors celebrating a quiet, elegant birthday lunch, enjoying the TOH menu, excellent service and wonderful food, along with other apparent business lunch patrons. The salmon-crab cakes were large and delicious, crisp on outside, moist inside with identifiable pieces of the seafood. The gazpacho was a bit chunkier, than I prefer, but tasty. The chocolate and cherry brownie was spectacular in presentation and taste. Unsweetened iced tea was served in individual pitchers, to pour over ice - a nice touch. My espresso came with both a lemon twist and two brown sugar cubes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatExigenteDined on 7/27/2014My party enjoyed the Taste of Hartford special, served with the same flair and detail as the regular menu offerings. Service was attentive and prompt, and the meals were delicious. This particular Sunday evening was very quiet, a definite plus for us.Special Features:
- Food was amazing as alwaysSavorySMGDined on 7/27/2014The service wasn't the best but I wouldn't say it was bad either. The food is awesome though. We did the tasting menu and between the five of us we had everything on the menu. I of course tried each dish and was not disappointed. I would go back any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious eveningTripletmomDined on 7/26/2014Despite having an 8:15 reservation on a Saturday night, we were not seated until close to 9 Pm; and even then, with no apologies. After that though, thing steadily improved. The service was good and the food and drinks, excellentSpecial Features:
- Lovely Birthday Dinnermmperr2Dined on 7/26/2014I had wonderful birthday dinner with family on Saturday evening. The food was outstanding, service excellent, as always. The lobster bisque was terrific but the special salad with figs & burrata was incredible.Special Features: