City Place, 185 Asylum St.
Hartford, CT 06103Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxdowntown.com/
- Phone: 8605222530
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Hunter Morton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two rooms, one can accommodate 48 and the second, 26.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Abrams 8605222530
A word from Max Downtown
Max Downtown is one of Hartford's premiere restaurants located in the center of the bustling business and cultural district. Under the careful guidance of owners Richard Rosenthal and Steve Abrams, Max Downtown provides outstanding food and trend-setting atmosphere for over three hundred patrons daily. Max Downtown's innovative cuisine includes Pacific Rim inspired dishes as well as a superb selection of traditional Chop House classics. An experienced staff of over forty people provide an in depth knowledge of Max's unique menu and extensive wine list. The sophisticated Max Downtown garnered a three star rating from the New York Times, and a 26 rating from Zagat's Survey for three consecutive years. The Hartford Courant's Northeast Magazine bestowed Max Downtown with its highest four star rating. For lighter yet equally exciting fare, as well as world famous martinis, a stop a Max Downtown's Tavern is essential.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max Downtown - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Max Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (170)fit for foodies (123)notable wine list (105)romantic (103)hot spot (63)good for groups (62)vibrant bar scene (50)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (18)great for brunch (6)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food, good ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014Nice restaurant in center of Hartsford. Will be back if I am ever in Hartsford, CT againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014They had a bad night. We had an 8:00 reservation. Arrived at 7:30 for a drink at the bar and did not get our main course until 9:30. Maybe they ran out of the fresh food by then.
- Business lunchkrccbDined on 10/24/2014Great variety of food choices, excellent service. We had people arrive late, the wait staff was very attentive, gracious and took excellent care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.HartfordctdinerDined on 10/22/2014Great for business lunch. Perfect atmosphere. Service is excellent and you are never rushed.Special Features:
- Great Music & FoodLucyDined on 10/19/2014We found Max Downtown while searching for a place that included music/Jazz with the dining experience. We sat in the tavern side so we could enjoy the Jazz band and we were offered the Tavern menu or the restaurant menu. The homemade pastrami was exceptional. The wait staff were very friendly and attentive. The band was very very good. We had a very nice evening and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Pastrami sensation"chocluverDined on 10/18/2014Sat at bar for about 1/2 hour prior to sitting for dinner. Friends from Monroe NY were visiting...Max's was my preferred place to showcase. Friends enjoyed the ambiance and appetizers; loved the pumpkin soup and remarked "best ever had"; the pastrami appetizer was wonderful! Swordfish was nicely prepared yet I have personally prepared swordfish many times and felt mine was tastier and fresher?! Braised short ribs were very tender- busy week for all of the Hartford restaurants but Max's Downtown still performed to meet quality (food) and service was impeccable- Alyssa was our server and she was friendly and spot on for all of our requests! Took the desserts to go - and enjoyed at midnight- so yummy! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This was my first time having dinner at Max downtown. The food and service was great. I would recommend Max downtown to anyone looking for a great experience in Hartford.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatHols10VIPDined on 10/17/2014I absolutely love this place. abeen coming for years but this time encountered my first very poor waitress. It was a great disappointment. She was almost silent when at the table, made us wait for 20 minutes before we got our menus. We managed to have fun without her but I hope she finds somewhere else to work.Special Features:
- The bestJamesODined on 10/16/2014It is a favorite among favorites. Great food. Unique. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Outstanding AgainfishboneDined on 10/13/2014I have never had a bad meal at any Max Restaurant. 5 Stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualHusk28Dined on 10/12/2014Had an anniversary dinner on a Sunday night and the food and service were great as usual. We moved to NY last winter but make the trip back to CT to go to dinner at Max Downtown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatGMGPDined on 10/11/2014We are frequent visitors to all of Max's restaurants. Max's Downtown is one of the best restaurants in Hartford/Western Mass, consistently great food and drinks and, except in the "back room," great ambience. The steak (we had filet and rib eye) is as good as you'll find in any steakhouse anywhere, perfectly prepared. The truffled tater tots were a big hit at our table too! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars in every category is that service was slow, almost to the point of negligence, during this visit and we got stuck in the dreaded "back room." However, don't let this deter you, this is a first class dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in every wayRiverNorthJeffVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great follow up experience to Hartford marathon. Craved best steak in Hartford. And I got it. Riveted was fabulous. Dessert of flour less chocolate cake was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itMikkiDined on 10/8/2014I love all the Max Restaurants! Very romantic and mature. Perfect for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in downtown HartfordLabattDined on 10/7/2014I ate here on a business trip and was very pleased -- the meal was remarkable. It was an easy walk from the Hilton Hartford. The food is excellent and the service was impeccable, a very good, fine-dining choice.Special Features:
- Liked better than it tastedDavethedinerVIPDined on 10/6/2014Looked very high end and the food presentations were impressive but the taste was bland - seasoning in the flat iron was supposed to be coffee but it just tasted like unsalted meatSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinner for my wifebdaynight1Dined on 10/3/2014Took my wife here for her Birthday and after a less than stellar beginning at the bar while waiting on our table to be readied, we were quickly seated. Food was outstanding and our server Melissa was AWESOME! Very friendly, knowledgeable about the menu and specials and.energetic. The assistant manager Rachel came over later to be sure all was well and then drove home the point on why Max Downtown is the benchmark. Had the chef prepare an awesome birthday desert with champagne for my wife and I yo close out the night, as well as personally singing happy birthday to Jen. Will be back a few more times.during the year because of the two of these awesome employees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite up to snufftravelwithcousinsDined on 9/30/2014One of our party ordered the bone-in filet, one of the restaurant's specialties. He requested it medium, which usually signifies pink-to-red center. The steak was far over cooked, even burned on one side. The waiter was apologetic, but it was sad to see such a fine piece of meat ruined. We expected much more of Max Downtown.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2014As always, great food with strong service. Perfect for the business lunch that was held.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningCharlieTDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful evening at Max Downtown on Saturday, September 27, 2014. As Usual the ambiance, food and service were outstanding. I brought my daughter, son-in-law and wife and they were thrilled. Each time we dine at Max Downtown we wonder how they keep all services consistently excellent. I tip my hat to Steve and his professional staff for the outstanding work they do. Keep it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Personl attention.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Waiter to owner took great care and the food was the best in town for us and our guest from Santa Monica.Special Features:
- Disappointed for the first timeDagatasDined on 9/26/2014We are big fans of max downtown and normally have a fantastic experience. I'm not sure why but this time the food was not at all up to the usual standards. I normally get the filet, in fact was here two weeks ago and had it where it was fabulous. This time it was very dry, slightly overcooked and lacking flavor. My sister chose the scallops and the rice they were on was cold. It won't prevent us from going again because dozens of previous times we had superb food. Something was very off this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NHavenMaxjunkieDined on 9/26/2014My review is very simple. I have been lucky to patronize restaurants throughout the state on a very extensive basis for over forty years. I do have a number of restaurants that are special and that I am fond of. Among the small group that I place in my pantheon, Max Downtown is my single favorite restaurant in Connecticut. Period. Having moved to New Haven five years ago from the Hartford area, my number one great culinary wish is that the Max Group open a Max Downtown like restaurant in downtown New Haven. I believe it would be a knockout and instantly be No 1 in an already vibrant and robust restaurant market. (I should also add that Max Amore, Max Fish, and Max Oyster Bar are in my top 15.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful and OutstandingCharlieTDined on 9/24/2014As always the food is superb, service is excellent and the ambiance was wonderful. Our niece was in from Knoxville, Tennessee working at Travelers this week training sales personnel so we decided to treat her to Max downtown. We enjoyed our evening together but as I stated this is an exceptional restaurant. We are returning September 27, 2014, with my Daughter and Son-in-Law for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Downtown Only the BestBobBasketballVIPDined on 9/20/2014Max has never disappointed. Whenever we have attended the theater or a sporting event the perfect cap after the event is going to Max's Downtown. The ambience is excellent and very professional. The personal greeting by management makes the environment even more special. I would recommend Max to any discerning diner.Special Features:
- Great foodmurphDined on 9/13/2014It was TREMENDOUS the food was great as was the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary time3timesacharmDined on 9/11/2014The dining experience was enjoyable, our server was excellent. She was very helpful from our appetizers to the Entrees. The ambiance was nice. This was our first dining experience at Max Downtown; it will not be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable dining experienceelogan80Dined on 9/6/2014We only go to Max Downtown for special occasions, so we don't get there often, but it never disappoints. The service (specifically Peter) is amazing and the food is always cooked and flavored perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014We hadn't been to Max Downtown in a while and it just didn't seem as good as it used to be!!
- The bestCaschuVIPDined on 9/6/2014We went for our anniversary, and mentioned it to the server when he asked. Shortly into the appetizer we figured out that the dental procedure that my spouse had had would make it far too painful to eat a full meal. We asked for the check. The server brought us a lovely plate that said "Happy Anniversary" with mini cheesecake and small servings of wine to go with it. He turned an evening that was disappointing, through no fault of the restaurant, into one that was memorable and touching. We have been to Max Downtown many times. The service is exemplary, the food is delicious. It is this kind of special service that makes them superb. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIGHTANGLE1Dined on 9/4/2014It was a pleasant evening out on a date and our floor staff person Samantha "Sam" was a gem. A major asset to your organization. I 'm in the food industry and can easily sense someone phony or genuine. They don't come better than her. Your restaurant is quite lucky I feel to have her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- darleneDollDined on 8/30/2014This was my second time dining at MAX Downtown. The food as usual was excellent, the service great and the ambiance superb. I am becoming addicted to dining at MAX Downtown because I am made to feel comfortable and appreciated by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HabibiDined on 8/29/2014This is my favorite restaurant, great ambiance and excellent service. but the special Labor Day weekend dinner of lobster was disappointing because it was not up to the usually high standard of MAX Downtown. However, I am looking forward to the next occasion to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasions CelebratedPittsburghandHartfordDined on 8/26/2014Max Downtown is my favorite restaurant in Hartford and our visit there yesterday confirmed all my previous experiences. The food was excellent, the service was impeccable and our server even suggested a birthday dessert for the one celebration that we had. We had great celebrations that were both relaxing and sociable thanks to Max's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Max in HartfordDoomsdayPeppersDined on 8/23/2014I took my girlfriend there for our 5 year anniversary and we had a fantastic meal. If you like steak and lobster, please shell out the extra cash for the "Oscar" which is a lobster crusted filet mignon (what I had). She had the regular Filet Mignon and stated it was the best filet she has ever had. The plates were spaced out perfectly, giving us plenty of time between our salads and entrees to talk and enjoy the night. Overall, the experience was great. They even gave us a free desert and wrote "Happy Anniversary" on the plate, just because the hostess/manager asked us what we were there for when we sat down. Pricey place, but I think its worth it. Definitely recommended for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant!!!LovelabsDined on 8/23/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate my daughter and son-in-law's wedding anniversary. They live in Palmer, Ma and we live in New Hartford. I thought it would be a great halfway restaurant and it came highly recommended by my bosses. It was everything I thought it would be. Great food and service. Comp dessert and wine for the celebration. I could not have picked a better place. Thank you for making the evening special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as good as nycDrG18Dined on 8/16/2014I have dined at Max Downtown several times and have never been disappointed. The seafood tower is excellent and the steak is as good as Sparks or any quality NYC steakhouse. Similar prices but less driving and valet parking is a deal.Special Features:
- great lunchoutstandingVIPDined on 8/14/2014Met a friend for business lunch. Food and service were very good. I have a gluten intolerance and the waiter was able to ensure that I was accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max DowntownfabulousdinnerDined on 8/13/2014A fabulous dining experience. Greeted warmly at the door. The waiter (Jared) was attentive and extremely helpful. The food choices were plentiful. The food quality was top notch. We had 5 delicious different entrees. Max was the perfect choice for a joyful celebration.Special Features:
- Another excellent ding experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Exceptional food and service as usual. Always a pleasure to dine at Max Downtown.Special Features: