Max Brenner - Philadelphia
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 2153448150
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 11:30am - 11:00pm
Fri - 11:30am - 1:00am
Sat - 11:00am - 1:00am (brunch is served from 11:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private area of our restaurant for large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Applegate 8779253053
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music playlist.
A word from Max Brenner - Philadelphia
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Max Brenner - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (112)special occasion (79)fit for foodies (65)good for groups (52)great for lunch (50)great for brunch (48)late-night find (38)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (29)romantic (28)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great for a Sweet ToothOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014We went to dinner for our 14 year old daughter's birthday. The appetizer and main courses were solid, but it is the desserts why you go here. The service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A chocoholic's fantasy come true!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Everything was amazing! I felt like I was walking into a very grown up Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. The ambience was amazing; from the decor to the lighting to the music. And smell!!!! Absolutely intoxicating. Our waiter was very pleasant and attentive, service was fast, and the food was delicious. I ordered the tomato and mozzarella flatbread which was easily one of the best I've ever had, and for dessert the chocolate chip cookie "quad". It was a giant cookie with mini bowls of homemade whipped cream drizzled with raspberry sauce, a strawberry and blueberry mix, and a little magic potion type bottle filled with decadent molten chocolate. Each part was a joy, but the magic bottle of chocolate was nearly naughty!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dessert!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014We went here before for just dessert, but decided to have lunch too this time. Although the food was good, it was WAY over priced. The bill came to $91 for a sanwich and 3 kids meals plus dessert. The desserts are good and fun, so I would suggest just going for that. Very good service! There are too many better places to eat in the area for a meal.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestLysadVIPDined on 8/10/2014While the chocolate desserts are excellent, the rest of the menu is just ok. Beyond that, this place is FILTHY, and it was freezing throughout the whole restaurant. This was the most disappointing experience in Philly in a long time. Skip it -- there are plenty of places with great desserts, a better menu that aren't so dirty and tired looking.
- Decent at bestnotimpressedDined on 8/10/2014The best part of this restaurant is the environment. The restaurant is cozy and it smells incredible. However, the food & desserts are average and I feel I could make the same or better in my own home. The chocolate cake was extremely dry and the hot chocolate was overly sweet. For a chocolate restaurant, I think the chocolate desserts should be exceptional; they were not.Special Features:
- Good foodLLRNDined on 8/9/2014Max Brenner was able to keep our reservation (a group of 6) even though we were 30 minutes late. So props for that. Definitely a kid friendly place which is a plus for us. Very noisy though. Food was pretty good. Shakes were tasty. I actually liked the food more than our dessert. The strawberry crepe was actually disappointing. Crepe was thick as a pancake almost. It was nothing special considering the price. Overall a good experience. Would go again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- YumYumVIPDined on 8/8/2014Was excited to try this restaurant for dessert. The service was good at best and dove straight into the treats. The milkshakes are good and the banana pudding was a bit better. Overall, nothing lived up to the prices which were extremely high. Didn't feel it was worth the cost and wouldn't return. It is a neat restaurant to see but better to pop in and move on to eat somewhere else.
- AngyDined on 8/8/2014Great food and price for a chocolate bar. More than just chocolate. Fantastic drink selections. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Max BrennerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Tables are very close together, it's very noisy, the wings were too chewy and my waffle fries were fried very hard! Don't know if I would go back or recommend Max Brenner to anyone.
- YumYumclassicKaitDined on 8/5/2014Although my friend and I only made reservations for dessert, we were impressed with nearly everything about this restaurant, from the decor to the service to the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great theme and great for kids...WhyGo2PhillyDined on 8/5/2014I took my family to Max Brenner. The kids loved the place. The theme was very cool. But the service was meh. And the food was just "good". We ordered three of the waffle sandwiches. Cuban and cheesesteak were good. The prosciutto and apple wasnt. Mole burrito and the Mac and cheese were the best dishes on our table. I expected the desserts to be out of this world. But the milkshake was thin and the chocolate cake was a bit dry. The sweet waffle with Bannanas was great, but needed more than a thimble-sized scoop of ice cream. My socks are still on. : /Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMichaelDined on 8/3/2014We have been there before and had a great time and this time was no different. The food items are whimsical and delicious at the same time. The wait staff was professional and didn't push us out as soon as our food was consumed. We went there to meet friends we hadn't seen in over 20 years and the staff gave us the time and privacy to let us rekindle the friendship.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than we ever expected!JAMIE2414Dined on 8/2/2014A family member came from another country and we decided to treat her to a cool place in the city. She has heard of Max Brenner, but never been. This was an amazing experience for her and for us. The place smelled like toasted marshmallows when you walk in. We all got something different and shared. The entire time the sounds coming from our table were either "oh my god" or "this is too good". The service was fantastic. The server made some recommendations as the menu was very generous and everything she suggested was a hit! We will absolutely be back!Special Features:
- Max Brenners - AmazingPickyeater0803Dined on 8/2/2014Everything was absolutely amazing, from the food to the desserts. It was a great time and anyone in Philly should go and enjoy themselves at Max Brenner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dessert.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014This place is built for dessert. Dinner was an afterthought and tastes that way.
- reviewTrinkyDined on 8/1/2014It wasn't bad, it was no big deal. the way a friend describe it, it was incredible. I wouldn't not recommend it but it wouldn't be the 1st place. We had the fondue for 2
- Good for dessertStephanieLee4022Dined on 7/30/2014Great for dessert, but if you go for a meal get something small because most of the portions are huge. The waffle sandwiches are fantastic, the wings were phenomenal. Dessert, holy cow, huge portions! Overall really good but the noise level was off the charts for only maybe 8 parties in the resturaunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with my TeenDutchNJDined on 7/29/2014He loved his burger and the pizza was delicious! We shared a fondue for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexBVIPDined on 7/26/2014Overall, a decent place to go, they really do have a great children's menu. It's fun for kids of all ages, a huge menu of speciality drinks (that they can 'spike' if you choose). I sort of wish the waffle fries had a bit more chocolate/chili powder on them. I had a salted caramel milkshake which was pretty good, and split the pillow panini (because you have to save room for dessert). Ended up with the smores crepe, which was pretty good also. The waitstaff was fairly attentive. I'd go back with kids again, or maybe the tail end of a date for a late-night dessert.Special Features:
- Atmosphere better than foodSamKGDined on 7/25/2014Place is neat, but the food was so-so. (We only had dessert but isn't that the main thing?) Way over-priced. Not a place I'd go back to.Special Features:
- Overpriced food, amazing dessertsFoodFirstDined on 7/25/2014We had a good time. Food prices did not correlate to portion sizes. Everything was well thought out and tasted good, just would not go there for a meal again. The drink and the dessert options where excellent. We had the Classic fondue. Yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate loversOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014Menu for dinner was so-so. Dinner itself was not bad tasting, but some weird combinations. Chocolate fondue was a bit if a letdown. Chocolate wasn't even that great. Service was slow. Ok for a first time visit, but not a regular spot to frequent. Kids would have enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Just OKbertalinskiVIPDined on 7/20/2014Took niece and nephew for meal and thought the food was just so-so. The staff left something to be desired, but everyone should try it once - with kids.Special Features:
- Best Chocolate RestaurantLaLaDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant had very good service and the most delicious food ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to philasheriVIPDined on 7/19/2014All was perfect Food was surprisingly good Ambiance is funSpecial Features:
- Great FindMrsAlstonDined on 7/19/2014A friend told me about Max Brenner and I have wanted to go for about a year. I decided to take two of my granddaughters and they cannot stop talking about it! I am sure this will be a memory they will treasure for a long time. It is a chocolate lover's paradise. The food was very tasty and the presentation was over the top! The best hot chocolate you ever will have in a lifetime. I plan to take all of the grandchildren together so they can experience wonderful taste of chocolate!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageBirdspicksDined on 7/12/2014Place is cute and fun-the cake was so dry. The cookie and mini-milkshake were pretty good.
- Delicious meals anytimeDissapointingDishVIPDined on 7/12/2014Just read they will update their menu. It is pretty old, since day 1...needs new dishes Any dish in the chocolate family is terrific.. hot chocolate a must & all the desserts Flatbread pizza is my favorite...& they make it to your order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!Artemis664Dined on 7/11/2014We shared a salted caramel chocolate shake, which was outstanding! We also had the s'mores plate, which was very yummy and lots of fun. Definitely a great place to grab chocolatey dessert!Special Features:
- Did it onceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Trendy place with unique food offer. Food was just okay.Special Features:
- Great place to eat at.3sistersVIPDined on 7/11/2014As soon as you walk in, you smell chocolate and what a wonderful smell it is. Went there for lunch, and the food and service were great. The entire staff was very friendly and inviting. I can't wait to visit there again. They are actually on 15th, not Walnut. The building's address they are in is 1500 Walnut st.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for out of town guestsmarsbarsDined on 7/5/2014We brought Canadian guests here and they loved every bite! Nothing like this in Canada. Food was great and lots of fun Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Fun fun fun and yum!JulBurkartDined on 7/5/2014My children, husband, inlaws and I had a memorable dinner full of yummy food and loads of fun! Great, friendly service! We will stop again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not very cleanStunaDined on 7/4/2014My wife and I ate here at 5pm on a Friday and our table wasn't even wiped down. There were tons of tables with dishes still on the table as well. The bathrooms were poorly kept as well. This did take away from the dinning experience a little but the food was very good. For the price we were paying I would expect cleaner conditions. The drinks were good and the s'more crepe was so good. I recommend the Philly cheesesteak waffle such a great recreation of a Philly classic in a waffle bun. I will give this place one more chance but if the cleanliness is not up to par next time it will be my last time dinning no matter how good the food is. If the dinning room is this dirty I don't want to know what the kitchen looked like.
- Good for kidsMaribaDined on 6/29/2014My kid loves this place. The service was good but the table and the menus were dirty, which is kind of gross. I had to ask the hostess to clean the table we were sitting at and when she kind of swiped at the sticky stuff on the table, I had to take the towel from her and scrub it off myself. Also, we got a fondue for two and it came with three marshmallows and three brownies (in addition to other things). Difficult to divide three things to share with two people, and really? Three marshmallows is chintzy for a fondue that costs $25. Throw in a few more marshmallows and give an even number of brownie pieces.Special Features:
- Great time had by allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I needed a break from being a caregiver for my mom while being on hospice. My friend flew in from Chicago and took my kids, my husband and I here. It was definitely what I needed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun informal nightkimmybDined on 6/26/2014Max Brenner's was a yummy restaurant that I went to after work one day. I met up with a friend who was getting out of school. We were dressed pretty casually and that was just fine for this place. The food was tasty; we both got pasta dishes and we split a banana split on a waffle for dessert. YUM!
- DID SOMEBODY SAY CHOCOLATE?DiamondDined on 6/23/2014What can I say except chocolate makes everything better! Thanks for even existing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeidiHeidiVIPDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant attracts a lot of families and is great for young kids. I have teenagers and young adults and they love this restaurant for the huge portions, great milk shakes and fabulous desserts. It's fun!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2014We loved the food and our waiter, but the tables seem very close together. Getting in and out of the table, we had to move the table so I could get out and the table next to us had to do the same. I also had to wait a long time for the bathroom as there were only two bathrooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.