Max Brenner - Philadelphia
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 2153448150
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 11:30am - 11:00pm
Fri - 11:30am - 1:00am
Sat - 11:00am - 1:00am (brunch is served from 11:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private area of our restaurant for large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Applegate 8779253053
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music playlist.
A word from Max Brenner - Philadelphia
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Max Brenner - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (109)special occasion (79)fit for foodies (72)good for groups (61)great for lunch (61)great for brunch (45)neighborhood gem (42)late-night find (38)hot spot (30)romantic (27)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- poor servicegritsDined on 9/16/2014We waited about 10 mins til I finally made eye contact with the server. She brought us water and took our order. 15- 20 mins later my boyfriend asked to speak with the manager. Our drinks haven't come out yet. After speaking with her I witnessed her going behind the bar and making our drinks. Right after our appetizers came out, 1 right 1 wrong, but cold. Our entrée came out this time hot. Our server never asked if we were ok, if we needed anything she never checked. She never asked if we wanted another drink. We could have had one but we're afraid it would have taken another 20 mins. We asked to speak with the manger again. We explained to her why we were unhappy with our service. Simple things a server does she didn't do.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014Burger was huge and delicious, as were the fries. Waffle salad was so unique. Dessert crepe was to die for. If you love chocolate , this is a place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal but......OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014My daughter and I decided to try Max Brenner's for dinner during Restaurant Week. The food was excellent and came quickly but we had to ask the server not only for napkins but flatware as well. The place is also very noisy and this was on a Monday evening. I cannot imagine what it would be like on a Friday or Saturday night. Overall, the food was great, the chocolates were absolutely delicious, the server was very friendly but a bit absent-minded.Special Features:
- Noisysss93Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was extremely noisy and the service was terrible. Waitress rarely came to our table to check up on us and brought the wrong dinner item to the table.Special Features:
- Chocolate is the reason to goRussDined on 9/13/2014Went to Max Brenner on a busy Saturday night during restaurant week. We were seated promptly at our 7 PM reservation tie. Service was prompt and atteetive despite the place being very crowded. This is also a very noisy place, perhaops partly due to several bachelorette parties going on. Lots of interesting cocktails (including several chocolate varieties. My wife's hamburger was very good and the accompaying fries (dusted with chocolate) were outstanding. My salmon was overcooked, but adorned with a good arugala salad. Dessert was a chocolate/fruit fondue and was excellent.Special Features:
- Great as always!NowayNoeDined on 9/13/2014This is my third time going there and it's just as great as the first time! We even got the same waiter that we had over a year ago! We were so excited and the our party of 6 enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- Felt overall inefficientDebbVIPDined on 9/13/2014If the host staff knew how to seat people at a table they would be prepared with menus and silverware instead of plunking us down and never bringing menus until we flagged staff down Our grand child liked all the chocolate The hot chocolate was bland As far as the food goes my son relieved a black hamburger and my daughter in law received undercooked chickenSpecial Features:
- WORST SERVICE, but great food.BrittMaureenDined on 9/12/2014The only reason I would recommend this restaurant is because the food was delicious, however their service was THE worst I've ever experienced. Once we were seated a half hour after our reservation we had to ask for silverwear, napkins, and water. Waiting over an hour between our apps and entrees even though we ordered everything at the same time. We asked to speak to the manager but he refused to leave the kitchen in fear of "throwing off the flow of things." Not once did we get an apology from anyone. Ordering food to-go (if that's even an option) would be the ideal way to ever try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The menu sounded interesting but the food was mediocre. The macaroni and cheese lacked flavor and cheesiness. The prosciutto cheese and apple waffle sandwich had far too much prosciutto. Less prosciutto of a better quality would be an improvement. The drink with expresso, Kahlua and chocolate tasted like chocolate milk. There was no expresso or Kahlua flavor at all. Our waiter was very good.
- Delicious Food, Great Atmospherekjer26Dined on 9/12/2014I went to Max Brenner for lunch during Restaurant Week and the food was outstanding! I'm not usually big on appetizers, but I highly recommend the spicy meatballs (don't worry, they're not very spicy). It can get a little loud inside the restaurant so I wouldn't recommend it for an intimate meal; it has more of a fun and funky vibe. Definitely great for lunch with friends or a fun date night!Special Features:
- Service unusually badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Our waitress may have been overwhelmed because it was busy but she was not attentive. She never asked how our meal was, and when we asked for things she took a while to bring them to us. It was busy because it's restaurant week, but that is to be expected and we should have still had a good dining experience. That service sucked, but we are nice people so we still tipped because we all have bills to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSMT4Dined on 9/11/2014The food here was great, especially the dessert, and the waitress was very nice. Food did not take long after we order either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Success!TableforfiveDined on 9/11/2014Our entire party had a superb time during restaurant week. Everything was great, the food was delicious, the service was great and we truly enjoyed ourselves! The meatballs and chicken wing appetizers were oh so good! (as was everything) Save room for the fondue with the milk chocolate ...Special Features:
- Horrible Service and Customer CareFoodieDined on 9/10/2014Had a 12:45 reservation for 3. Used the Restuarant Week menu. While place was busy, there were still several tables open. They seated us and took our order pretty quickly. Got there early and still didn't get our first course for almost an hour later. One person had to leave and the other two of us waitied another 20 minutes---We ended up having to have the entire meal boxed to go and went back to work hungry. We mentioned several times that it was taking very long to get even the first course and we were on our lunch hour. Never did a manager come over and no once did they apologize for 3 guests leaving without having a chance to take a bite of food. So, $25 each and didn't even get to eat.
- Worth going back for the dessertJessDDined on 9/10/2014Went for restaurant week and was happy with the food choices (this was my first time dining here). Service was pretty slow even though the restaurant didn't seem crowded at all, so that was a bit frustrating. If I went back again, it'd probably just be for the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Very SlowTerriDined on 9/10/2014Food was very good. Server was nice but really slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for DessertsFoodieFoShoDined on 9/9/2014If you love chocolate you'd love this place. Great for uniquely prepared/presented drinks and desserts. Food is ehh, but entrees aren't the focus of this place anyway.Special Features:
- A total gem.sweetstarlingDined on 9/9/2014Our first visit was to enjoy the Restaurant Week menu, and we will definitely be back to explore and enjoy the regular offerings. Service was outstanding, the food was amazing, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Perfect Girl's LunchBabygDined on 9/9/2014This was my first time at Max Brenner's and I had only heard great things. I went for lunch during restaurant week with my best friend. I had the spicy meatballs - which were to my surprise my favorite part of the meal. We both got the burger, which was good, but not as good as the cocoa dusted waffle fries. The chocolate theme is definitely something I can get down with. I chose the espresso with truffles for dessert, and it was wonderful. Our waitress was very sweet and perceptive - as a good waitress should be. I would definitely recommend Max Brenner for a lunch where you want to enjoy fun, yummy food and talk - the music wasn't too loud, but it was loud enough that we couldn't hear those around us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for chocolateDaveDined on 9/7/2014The food was ok. But their chocolate desserts and drinks... THOSE were excellent! Come here for their chocolate stuff, not for the food. The entrees were mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate loversCathyDined on 9/7/2014It's great for chocolate lovers, lunch, or casual meal. Very reasonable prices. Come here for the beverages and treats! Our waitress last visit was not tentative, but I'm sure they are not all like that. The food made up for it, overall a fun place to dine.Special Features:
- SweetsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014My girlfriend and I came here on a Sunday afternoon and we were seated right away. Our server was on point, answered our questions and our food was brought out in a timely manner. We ate here to sample the menu for restaurant week. However, their courses were not samples but full servings. We ended up packing half of all three courses to take home. Really good food and desserts. We didn't try the adult beverages this time around but will be heading back another time to do so.Special Features:
- Horrible Service!ChuChoofDined on 9/6/2014By far, this was the worst service I have ever received. After moving to Philly I was very excited that there was a Max Brenners here. However, much to my dismay, it was awful, especially compared to the ones in NYC and Boston. The lava cake was overcooked to the point that the edges were slightly burnt, and the server did not even bother to care. She simply said that this was how it was supposed to be! Then, she brought the check and dropped it on our table, without even asking if we wanted to order anything else......WoW......
- gathering with my grandchildrenverydisappointedDined on 9/6/2014I met my son and his family for lunch and a treat. The food and drinks were great. I, myself , am on a diet. It certainly not the place to go when dieting. LOL. I will be retur ning with my daughter and her family to enjoy it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loves itsarapiesDined on 9/5/2014Our experience at Max Brenners was fantastic. The food, the environment and the server were excellent. My friends drove from an hour away and said it was well worth it! Such a fun, unique and chocolatey dining experience.Special Features:
- Good chocolate; expensive burgers.foodtravelerDined on 9/2/2014Limited lunch menu. Great for dessert overpriced burgers.
- SweetsSethVIPDined on 8/30/2014id you want something sweet, and love chocolate, this is the place to visit. I would not reccomend dinner.......Special Features:
- chocolate restaurantSubtleSandyDined on 8/30/2014If you are a chocoholic or adore chocolate, this place is for you. I am not so my review is more neutral. COmplete menu of chocolate desserts, drinks, fondue and savory snacks. Great service, tightly packed seats, entire restaurant smells like chocolate and I'm sure that is a huge bonus for some! I would only come here for dessert. Reasonably priced for dessert and coffee. Will take my niece for her birthday but for me you really need to love chocolate to enjoy this place.Special Features:
- Chocolate is the best medicineFoodieDined on 8/29/2014This is my favorite restaurant. I highly recommend the Margharita panini and tiramisu dessert. The milkshakes and cocktails are also out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A chocolate lover's dreamcctvmeDined on 8/28/2014We came to Max Brenner for pre-football dinner. The place was empty at 5pm although we had a reservation. Our server, Dave, was EXCELLENT! He knew the answers to every question we had and cheerfully explained the idea behind the "hug mug" and other drink glasses. He was super accommodating to my wife's gluten-free requirements. Although there are not many options if you are gluten-free, Dave did his best to make sure she had what she wanted. The food we ordered was prepared and delivered quickly. It was DELICIOUS! Portion sizes were adequate, because you must leave room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkJamieDined on 8/24/2014Great for dinner or dessert with a very fun and unique menu. Wasn't thoroughly impressed with brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinksJoshDined on 8/22/2014Food was very good, and the chocolate themed drinks were outstanding. We had a show to catch, and told our server we had about an hour. She served us 2 rounds of drinks, appetizers, and our main course, with check in hand in 45 minutes. Job well done Max Brenner!!Special Features:
- Great for a Sweet ToothOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014We went to dinner for our 14 year old daughter's birthday. The appetizer and main courses were solid, but it is the desserts why you go here. The service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A chocoholic's fantasy come true!!!ShesaidDined on 8/17/2014Everything was amazing! I felt like I was walking into a very grown up Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. The ambience was amazing; from the decor to the lighting to the music. And smell!!!! Absolutely intoxicating. Our waiter was very pleasant and attentive, service was fast, and the food was delicious. I ordered the tomato and mozzarella flatbread which was easily one of the best I've ever had, and for dessert the chocolate chip cookie "quad". It was a giant cookie with mini bowls of homemade whipped cream drizzled with raspberry sauce, a strawberry and blueberry mix, and a little magic potion type bottle filled with decadent molten chocolate. Each part was a joy, but the magic bottle of chocolate was nearly naughty!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014A Chocolate Lover's dream, for breakfast, lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great Dessert!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014We went here before for just dessert, but decided to have lunch too this time. Although the food was good, it was WAY over priced. The bill came to $91 for a sanwich and 3 kids meals plus dessert. The desserts are good and fun, so I would suggest just going for that. Very good service! There are too many better places to eat in the area for a meal.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestLysadVIPDined on 8/10/2014While the chocolate desserts are excellent, the rest of the menu is just ok. Beyond that, this place is FILTHY, and it was freezing throughout the whole restaurant. This was the most disappointing experience in Philly in a long time. Skip it -- there are plenty of places with great desserts, a better menu that aren't so dirty and tired looking.
- Decent at bestnotimpressedDined on 8/10/2014The best part of this restaurant is the environment. The restaurant is cozy and it smells incredible. However, the food & desserts are average and I feel I could make the same or better in my own home. The chocolate cake was extremely dry and the hot chocolate was overly sweet. For a chocolate restaurant, I think the chocolate desserts should be exceptional; they were not.Special Features:
- Good foodLLRNDined on 8/9/2014Max Brenner was able to keep our reservation (a group of 6) even though we were 30 minutes late. So props for that. Definitely a kid friendly place which is a plus for us. Very noisy though. Food was pretty good. Shakes were tasty. I actually liked the food more than our dessert. The strawberry crepe was actually disappointing. Crepe was thick as a pancake almost. It was nothing special considering the price. Overall a good experience. Would go again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- YumYumVIPDined on 8/8/2014Was excited to try this restaurant for dessert. The service was good at best and dove straight into the treats. The milkshakes are good and the banana pudding was a bit better. Overall, nothing lived up to the prices which were extremely high. Didn't feel it was worth the cost and wouldn't return. It is a neat restaurant to see but better to pop in and move on to eat somewhere else.