Max Brenner - Philadelphia
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: (215) 344-8150
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 11:30am - 11:00pm
Fri - 11:30am - 1:00am
Sat - 11:00am - 1:00am (brunch is served from 11:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private area of our restaurant for large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Applegate 8779253053
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music playlist.
A word from Max Brenner - Philadelphia
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Max Brenner - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (115)fit for foodies (98)special occasion (91)good for groups (90)great for lunch (72)great for brunch (60)late-night find (51)hot spot (50)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (46)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Max BrennerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014I've been here many times. It is the perfect place for brunch or a romantic dessert. Max Brenner has amazing chocolate delicacies including hot chocolate, crepes, milk shakes, waffles, fondue, and more. I suggest making a reservation before you go and keep your group size to 6 or less, but I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service has really gone down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014The hostess staff was not very friendly. We had a reservation for 7:30 and had to change the number of people when we arrived. Ended up waiting another 25 minutes after the reservation and were squeezed onto a 2 top with 3 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 3rd expierenceBruceVIPDined on 11/22/2014We took our daughter there for the first time this was our 3rd time there. The service was good lunch was good and fun. We asked our waitress which of 3 deserts she would suggest and we went with her suggestion. We were not happy with it at all although we did not complain, when she came over and asked how it was we told her we were not happy and disappointed with it and she just said that is FAIR. I would have hoped that since we did not like it she would have either offered to get us something else or take it off of our check. NEATHER HAPPENED. We left her 20% tip and paid our check. Leaving though we would not be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014For a place that wants to make a new chocolate culture, they really don't do anything to make it special. The tables are too small to accommodate anyone. We had to ask our server for utensils, plates, and napkins since they are not automatically provided even if you get pasta. Glad I went to see what the hype was about but there's nothing really special about it. You're better off going to the Cheesecake Factory or The Melting Pot.Special Features:
- Not so kid friendly, food...ehPKDMDined on 11/16/2014I made reservations for 3pm on a Sunday. I brought my brother and my 12 yr old niece. My brother asked to order brunch (served until 4pm) but the waitress told him "No" bc it stopped at 3pm. We had to show her the menu saying it stopped at 4pm. He ordered an egg omelette and loved it. Me...not so much. I ordered the cheese steak waffle sandwiches. The waffles were to soft for my liking and the steak had tough pieces clumped together, smothered in cheese. My niece ordered chicken fingers (obvi). We also ordered the fondue. It was terrifying. They put a small stone-like pot on the table and lit it on fire. The flames were shooting out of the sides. I had to constantly remind my niece to "be careful" and "watch your arm." It seemed completely unsafe for a child. The restaurant claims to be fit for kids. I disagree. I saw a lot more adults eating there than children. I would NOT recommend the fondue if your kids are a little clumsy like my niece. To finish it off, the total bill was around $100 (includes tip). Way over priced! I wish we went somewhere else! Oh well, you live and you learn. Good Luck!
- What a night!ChocolateAWESEOMSAUCEDined on 11/15/2014Max Brenner offered my date and I an incredible experience packed with chocolate, vibrant conversation, and more energy than we could have anticipated! The place was absolutely packed, yet our server was on top of things. We came mostly for dessert, but next time we'll definitely give the normal menu a try. This is definitely one of my new favorite spots in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeMikitaDined on 11/15/2014A fun place and a little different with all the chocolate and serving sandwiches on waffles. Huge burgers. Save room for dessert as they have big portions and are really good. On the expensive side so be prepared. We called for reservations and they said they weren't taking them, but they took them through OpenTable with no problem. And were seated right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for dessert, not for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/15/2014I've always been curious about Max Brenner's. There always seems to be a crowd of people waiting for a table, so one day I decided to go with some of my friends. First, service wasn't great - our server wasn't particularly attentive. I had to get the hostess seating another table to find our waiter so we could order, and when our waiter arrived, she said "oh, you want to order. let me take care of another table first" and walked off. Second, the food wasn't particularly good - my table ordered a few of their more notable items (the cheesesteak waffles, one of the mac and cheeses, the pulled pork burrito with chocolate mole sauce), and none of us were impressed. I will say that the desserts are decadent, and totally worth going for. Would highly recommend eating elsewhere and just getting dessert at the restaurant... but I leave it up to you how long you're willing to wait for dessert...I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014Excellent service and food was great! Terrific for kids and chocolate lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Foodfanatic5Dined on 11/14/2014I went here for my birthday with a few of my friends and we were in awe. Just the smell in the place is enough to rate this 10/10! Lol. We got amazing entrees that were very aesthetically pleasing and planned to share some desserts but ended up just sharing some smores fondue...it was beautiful. This would be ideal for Valentine's Day or a first date!! Very romantic but not overwhelmingly, still great for groups and even familiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert and Wine are a Wonderful Pair.KeepItSimpleDined on 11/14/2014I really enjoyed Max's. The waffles were delicious and the chocolate was not overly sweet. I liked the noise level, because I did not have to yell to carry on a conversation. We actually had to tone the volume on our laughter a few times. This is a just a good place to eat chill. it's laid back, open, and the staff are nice. I am taking my daughter...when she finds time to hang with Dad. *Smile*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place for kidsamybkDined on 11/9/2014The food was ok, my son, on the other hand LOVED IT! The dessert we ordered was also just ok. Again, my son LOVED his!! It's a great places for kids, they will enjoy the whole experience. Probably a better place for dessert than the whole meal.Special Features:
- Hit or MissOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014This place is great for dessert but super packed! Definitely need a reservation and a chocolate craving!Special Features:
- Nice Ending to our day!stephanieDined on 11/8/2014We took our family to the aquarium in Camden and wanted to take them somewhere kid friendly for dinner. It was a quick ride into town. We were seated promptly, ordered, food arrived quickly. The kids loves the paint brushes that came with their meal. They had a ball painting their chicken wand fries with ketchup. Great touch! Our burgers were great. The dessert menu was amazing and so hard to choose from. The kids all ordered the Chocolate shot. Of course they thought that was the best thing ever! Cant wait to bring them back.Special Features:
- Fun place for friendsntrunkDined on 11/8/2014Noisy but cute place. We did not try any of the chocolate items but the food was good. Perfect place to grab a bite with friends. Food was good but nothing incredibly different.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Fun place for chocolate lovers. Lots of chocolate desserts and drinks. Kids loved it.Special Features:
- ExcellentLove2eatDined on 11/7/2014Food was great, dessert was great, and service was great! No complainants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014My family and I went here for a birthday dinner, we chose the restaurant because we heard it was kid-friendly. Our 5 year old loved the atmosphere, the food, and the chocolate. However, she grew very impatient while waiting for our food and kept asking "where are the crayons?" Definitely, the ideal kid-Friendly atmosphere, but crayons would be a great idea to optimize the kid-friendly atmosphere. All in all, hands down, one of the best kid-oriented Restaurants in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Loved the serviceDaFoodDudeDined on 11/4/2014We reached the restaurant just about half an hour before closing. Not only did we get our order quickly but the waitress also immediately brought out a new coffee when I mentioned that the one I got was not hot enough for me. This was inspite of the fact that they were getting ready to close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014A fun menu and great variety. Creative choices and awesome chocolate !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre theater dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/2/2014Very convenient to the Academy of Music. Good food and reasonable price.Special Features:
- Max BrennerEwoodford26Dined on 11/2/2014I was surprised how busy it was on a Sunday at 3:30PM but so thankful I had a reservation. The S'more Crepe is absolutely amazing - go item to share because it is so rich. The chocolate martini is also a must! I highly recommend a reservation at any time just to be safe because it gets busy very quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnerStephDined on 11/1/2014Not a whole lot of dinner options (most was standard American cuisine but with their own twist). Waitress messed up a few minor things in our order, but nothing too bad. I had the chicken flatbread and the steak and mushroom quesadillas. The quesadillas were incredible! We skipped dessert, but that seems to be more of what they're known for.Special Features:
- Great place for dessert.KikiDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I went to celebrate a birthday. The place is small but had some fun decor, I would say it is very kid friendly, loud and the seating is tight. We loved the desserts and the 80's milkshake was amazing!! The food however wasn't as great. My husband had the cheesesteak on a waffle, the portion was very small and the waffle had no flavor. I got the Cobb salad, the citrus dressing didn't suit the salad and the flavor was terrible. The toasted bread on top wasn't edible, The avocado was delicious so at least there was that!! I absolutely recommend this place for desserts but not for a first date or intimate date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentshanlynDined on 11/1/2014We were celebrating our anniversary with our daughter. it was delicious and our waitress was WONDERFUL! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- GreatKindSirDined on 11/1/2014Great food, great service. Sweet smell of chocolate, and great decor. Been here multiple times and it is always good.Special Features:
- Perfect pre-show mealBellaLukeDined on 10/29/2014Close to the Academy of Music & Kimmel Center so it is great for a meal before the show. The food is good & the desserts & specialty cocktails are fantastic. We were seated right next to the exit so every time someone left we were hit with a gust of cold air. The server was very nice and attentive. All in all (except for the seating) a nice experience. Great spot for kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience at maxMonkey1202Dined on 10/28/2014Everything was perfect at max Brenner's environment, food, and service was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Willy Wonkamomof2boysDined on 10/27/2014We ordered the mac and cheese, which was great, but pricey for mac and cheese. I went here based on reviews that it was a "kid-friendly" restaurant and that it is known as the "Willy Wonka" of today. I was hoping my kids would enjoy the experience and just love the desserts. So really we came for the desserts, but they were a disappointment. My kids really could of cared less. The kids ordered the chocolate mess, and it really was nothing like it was described in the menu. Overall the food was good and my crepe dessert was good, but it did not live up to my expectations of the "Willy Wonka" of today.Special Features:
- Reservation not ReservedHangryDined on 10/25/2014We made reservations at 8:15, and showed up for it promptly at 8:15. The hostess acknowledged that we were there for our reservation but I guess decided that actually keeping that was optional. There were 3 or 4 other couples waiting as well so I figured we would be waiting for 5 or 10 minutes. After 20 minutes and 3 other groups of people walked in and were seated before us, I asked the hostess what had happened. She said "oh just 5 more minutes"...15 minutes later we were finally seated. Our server was nice and the food was good, but the fact that we had to wait as long as we did for our reservation and were basically made to feel like they forgot about us means that we will not go back here again.Special Features:
- Boyfriend loved it!BestfransDined on 10/25/2014I brought my boyfriend to Max Brenner for his first time and he absolutely loved it! We started off by getting drinks - or at least he did. He got the Max's White Russian and thought it was absolutely divine. For dinner, we ordered the Cheesesteak Waffle and the Pesto Chicken Flatbread. Even though the place was packed, our food came out within 10-15 minutes. Great service, beautiful restaurant, delicious food, couldn't ask for better. Max Brenner never seems to disappoint.Special Features:
- go for dessertphillyfoodie21Dined on 10/25/2014Desserts are fantastic but can pass on the regular food - nothing special and overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, POOR ServiceLeslieVIPDined on 10/25/2014I have been to Max Brenners several times. The food is very good, but the service is consistently bad. Tables are not bussed for 30 minutes, the place always seems disorganized. I had a reservation and checked in. My table was nearly given away to a walk in. If this happened once, no big deal, but it happens every time I am there! It is a great place. PLEASE FIX!!Special Features:
- Family Concerts at Kimmel CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014We started going to Max Brenner after the Family Concerts when it first open because it was a treat for the children. Over the years more and more attendees of the concerts are going there for lunch. I think it would be wise for the restaurant to find out when these concerts are scheduled and be prepared for a surge. I always make reservations but still have to wait for a table although I can see empty tables. This week the service was really slow (10 minutes waiting for our drinks) because they were not prepared.Special Features:
- Fun experiencenicedessertDined on 10/21/2014Fun atmosphere, delicious chocolate!! Engaged personnel who seem to take pride for doing a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014Food was displayed nicely but very overpriced. It was not especially enjoyable or tasty.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Max Brenner's is a fun place to go, especially with the kids in tow. Although its a little loud and cramped the fun menu and opportunity to be surrounded in swaths of chocolate make up for the less than ideal atmosphere. Our server was attentive and kind throughout the meal and impressed us with her ability to remember each and every thing we asked without having to write anything down. The main course meals were solid although not extraordinary, but that's not what you go to Max Brenner's for. The desserts really shone and the fun of the fondue pots was what this 3-generatins experience was alls about. Not for every week, but a fun special occasion place!Special Features:
- Happy birthday to me!owlteam6Dined on 10/19/2014I was excited to go to Max Brenner for dinner after having a fantastic milkshake there mid-shopping excursion. Highly recommend. Milkshakes are fabulous. My family all really enjoyed their dinners, including the pork burrito, a burger, lobster mac & cheese, and a waffle cheesesteak. For my birthday I was served a single square of chocolate filled with chocolate truffle, on a plate with a special spot for a candle. Very cute. At any other place, I would have hoped for more...but I couldn't imagine eating anything else after my entree, so it was the perfect little bonus of sweetness. Service was great and we had a nice time.Special Features:
- Great place!mrsbDined on 10/15/2014Everything I have gotten from Max Brenner has been great...but I love the chicken wings!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014All of our food was excellent with the exception of the waffles and fruit. Service was great. Would go here again. A fun place for the family.Special Features: