Max Brenner - Philadelphia
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 2153448150
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 11:30am - 11:00pm
Fri - 11:30am - 1:00am
Sat - 11:00am - 1:00am (brunch is served from 11:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private area of our restaurant for large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Applegate 8779253053
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music playlist.
A word from Max Brenner - Philadelphia
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Max Brenner - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (97)fit for foodies (86)special occasion (80)good for groups (68)great for lunch (57)late-night find (47)neighborhood gem (43)great for brunch (42)hot spot (36)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014All of our food was excellent with the exception of the waffles and fruit. Service was great. Would go here again. A fun place for the family.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundExcellentDined on 10/11/2014Our party of 6 decided on apatizers and one entre to share then dessert. It was perfect. The lobster Mac and cheese was amazing and all the apps were very good. The service was very good. Our server was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet DelightDrewDined on 10/11/2014Great food and there are lots of choices for yummy sweats.Special Features:
- Chocolatejd2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food here is good, but really, go for the chocolate! Dessert, drinks, everything.Special Features:
- OverdoneFoodieDined on 10/10/2014The food was ok, but I thought it was not worth all the hype. Even the dessert was only so-so. The restaurant was so loud and the tables crammed together that when the server spoke we could hear about every fourth word. To top off our evening, one of the servers (not our main server) spilled an entire glass of soda on my daughter. Although she apologized profusely, nothing was done to compensate us. We were on vacation in Philly so we had no way to do laundry. It really made for an unpleasant night.Special Features:
- not all its cranked up to befoodie4lyfeDined on 10/6/2014Poor customer service place was empty and i still felt ignored.. food was over priced for basic dishes. Probably better to go if your looking for just a dessert.Special Features:
- Go for the ChocolatecuddlykoalaDined on 10/5/2014The food at Max is good but nothing special. Its the dessert that you stay for. Anything and everything off of the dessert menu is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedKimmy1905Dined on 10/4/2014We were excited to go to Max Brenner because of the novelty. We were greatly disappointed. The restaurant was very noisy and we could not carry on a normal conversation, the portions were small and the price was high. The food tasted ok but it was not worth the money.Special Features:
- IluvchocolateDined on 10/3/2014It was my first time there and i loved it. The food was amazing the service was great, i already told atleast 10 people about it i cant wait to go back and try more things on the menu, everything sounds and looked awsomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationwackywillyDined on 9/30/2014Truly helped forge a beautiful birthday memory. From the food to the service. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suburbanite9Dined on 9/28/2014Fun for children if they like chocolate, but overpriced. Understaffed and waitress also bused tables. Would return only at request of children.Special Features:
- Great time on my 13th Birthday!CosieDined on 9/27/2014Really enjoyed the service, food, and and company on this special night. Thank You for making it so rememorableSpecial Features:
- Delish.CR821Dined on 9/27/2014Great ambiance, delish food, outstanding service equals a return for me! If you're second guessing visiting a Max Brenner location, just make a reservation and enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014This restaurant is better for lunch than dinner. It's got a good bar food/snack type of menu and the execution is good. POur waitress was attentive. Probably better for the under-40 crowd than the over-60 group.Special Features:
- Worst Service/ExperienceAverageDinerDined on 9/20/2014Let me start by saying we made a reservation for 5 a week in advance at 4pm. We arrived at 3:45 and the restaurant was pretty much empty. The hostess led us to a table for 4 right between the waiter station and main walkway. I will not go into all the details about the worst waiter ever, but to sum it up service was awful, attitude was worse, we waited long periods of time before even seeing him, orders came out wrong, had to grab water from waiter station our-self (good thing about the table), no condiments, no ice, told us he was getting snippy because he was at end of his shift, saw him eating with other waiters a few tables away while we were waiting, etc....Long story short, the food was great but service ruined the dining exp.
- Not the best food selection for meLoverofallthingsFoodDined on 9/19/2014The atmosphere and service was very good, esp considering it was restaurant week. But my Salmon was very dry, the dirty rice wasn't very flavorful at all! The wings were very good . The fondue was fun for my daughter especially. The hot chocolate was delicious, I had traditional . Out of 10 overall I would rate 6.5. I must say the menu chosen for restaurant week was a good choice , it just wasn't very flavorful for me. The servers were very accommodating to myself and my family. The service get a 9 rating . I appreciate good service. It was very crowded yet I nvr waited long for anything . The server gave me time to look over the menu, I nvr felt rushed to make a choice and I know she was on skates due to the crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The chocolatey drinks and desserts are out of this world! This is a great spot to go to the bar and enjoy those items. The other menu items are lighter fare with a hefty price tag. It was a great night but we will skip the food and hang in the chocolate bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Restaurant Week!FoodLoverDined on 9/19/2014I went here with my friends for restaurant week because I had heard great things about it. It was a 3 course meal for $35 a person. The meatball appetizer was the best course I had. For my entree, I had the cheesesteak/waffle sandwich which was good but not great. The dark chocolate fondue for dessert was also delicious. Definitely worth a visit!Special Features:
- Good for Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I decided to try restaurant week here with a friend since I have visited before not during restaurant week and thought it was extremely over-priced. The items on the restaurant week menu were delicious and dessert was definitely the best part. I ordered a chocolate martini and a girl who was not our waitress brought it out. The martini had a strawberry covered in nuts in it (this was not on the description on the menu) and I have a nut allergy. So I told the girl and asked for another one. She was very snobby and rude about it even though it was not my fault the menu did not mention this. The restaurant should be more aware of nut allergies and attitudes of employees. I would not say the service was poor because our waitress who was nice.Special Features:
- marangvicDined on 9/19/2014It was ok, I thought the salmon was a little bland, it could have had more seasoning on it. I learned to realize, when you come to a restaurant tha specializes in something, stick with what they specialize in. But my daugther did enjoy her mac and chees and we did enjoy the fondue.Special Features:
- Decentmusicman9292Dined on 9/19/2014I went here for lunch the previous day and came back with different friends for the restaurant week menu. The food and service were better the day before, the crowdedness of the restaurant affected the plating of the dishes. The lunch food was decent, the waffle fries which are usually delicious were a little overcooked. Favorite part was definitely the 80's milkshake, their milkshakes are always delicious.Special Features:
- ServicelovetoeatDined on 9/18/2014Customer service sucked!! My server Josh was the worst. I sat there for 25 mins before my order was even taken. And I had to go ask another waitress to get him so he could take my order! I got a burger with the fries it was good so was the fries. I had a chocolate martini it tasted like chocolate milk. I tasted no alcohol.Special Features:
- DisappointedLalalovelyDined on 9/18/2014My best friend and I are foodies my nature so naturally we participate in restaurant week every year. We decided to try something different and come to Max so we made reservations a week in advance. When we arrive we have to wait 20 mins to be seated when there were numerous open tables. Also the two hostess at the front wee far from friendly. On the bright side the food was lovely and our waitress was a gem. I have very mixed feelings about this place but I'd be open to give it another try.Special Features:
- All about chocolateaj8114Dined on 9/18/2014The food is excellent here, but the main reason to attend is the chocolate. This restaurant never disappoints. It is a bit pricey though, so restaurant week is a good option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert OnlyPhillyDine215Dined on 9/18/2014Max Brenner is definitely a stop you need to make in Philadelphia for dessert. Obviously they're known for their chocolate and that's what they should stick too. Dinner was just ok... our service was the norm but that's all fine because their dessert made up for it all. Banana Hazelnut Crepe was out of this world. I'd say try a different spot for dinner and stop at Max Brenner for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too crampedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The set up of our table was entire too close to one another. There were a few instances where the other diners on either side of us knocked into our table/food.
- Not What I thought it would be.blkluvDined on 9/18/2014Service with the food was extremely slow. Getting greeted at a table was very slow too. Overall food was bland. The dry rubbed wings were really BBQ wings topped with scallions. Good but not as described per the menu. THE waffle cheesesteak was not as expected. The meat was very good but the waffle was like an ego waffle. Not impressed the chocolate fondue was great but there was nothing spectacular about the quality of the chocolate. For all i know it was Hershey chocolate melted. chocolate martini was ok. Too much $ for something that tasted like chocolate milk. This is not a place I would go back to. It's over priced for what is served and the food was ok. the description of the food was better than the food itself.
- If you're going to go, be indulgentMegala10Dined on 9/18/2014Went for lunch for restaurant week. We got spicy meatballs and spinach artichoke dip for appetizers, which were both quite good. I tried to order light and got a salad over a waffle for a main course and wasn't overly impressed, but my boyfriend got the chicken pesto panini with waffle fries which was all really really good. As expected, dessert was the highlight (banana and chocolate hazelnut crepes… mmmmm) . I'd definitely recommend the restaurant, but I'd probably just accept that you're not going to eat healthy and order something indulgent.Special Features:
- Lunch during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014We tried reataurant week early for blush when barely anyone there. Service not too good maybe because there were 3 servers for whole place. Food stayed up under hot lamps for long time. Do not feel like their menu for restaurant week is anything like their special items except for dessert. Spicy meatballs just ok and spinich dip was not great and not even warm when we got it. Our burgers were Burt and as we looked around the burger tops on others were as well as we looked around.Special Features:
- Max Brenner Restaurant WeekJules5688Dined on 9/17/2014I went with 3 friends to Max Brenner for restaurant week recently, and was not disappointed at all in the food! Really interesting and delicious choices for the restaurant week menu. The service was pretty good--sometimes getting drinks was a little bit slow, but I can imagine that with more volume than usual the bar was pretty busy. I'd never been before, and would certainly recommend it, and will also go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicegritsDined on 9/16/2014We waited about 10 mins til I finally made eye contact with the server. She brought us water and took our order. 15- 20 mins later my boyfriend asked to speak with the manager. Our drinks haven't come out yet. After speaking with her I witnessed her going behind the bar and making our drinks. Right after our appetizers came out, 1 right 1 wrong, but cold. Our entrée came out this time hot. Our server never asked if we were ok, if we needed anything she never checked. She never asked if we wanted another drink. We could have had one but we're afraid it would have taken another 20 mins. We asked to speak with the manger again. We explained to her why we were unhappy with our service. Simple things a server does she didn't do.
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Worst service I ever received. Took over 1 hour 45 minutes to receive main course without an apology from the waitress or the manager. Will not be going back or recommend. When I left a man from another table followed us out the door to see how our experience was and we both agreed it was the worst service.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014Burger was huge and delicious, as were the fries. Waffle salad was so unique. Dessert crepe was to die for. If you love chocolate , this is a place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal but......CityGirlDined on 9/15/2014My daughter and I decided to try Max Brenner's for dinner during Restaurant Week. The food was excellent and came quickly but we had to ask the server not only for napkins but flatware as well. The place is also very noisy and this was on a Monday evening. I cannot imagine what it would be like on a Friday or Saturday night. Overall, the food was great, the chocolates were absolutely delicious, the server was very friendly but a bit absent-minded.Special Features:
- Not for Restaurant WeekBookboyDined on 9/15/2014We dine out quite often and aren't just "restaurant weekers." To that end, I love Max Brenner's for their creative dishes that offer new ways to consume chocolate. However, I recommend going there when it's not restaurant week. Their menu choices were actually insulting. Three ordinary appetizer choices, four entrees (sandwiches and mac and cheese) and two dessert choices, in fairness, the fondue sounded delicious. Sadly, we left without dining because the choices were so limited and it was no bargain for $35.00. Moreover, the server was slow to greet us and there were only two other tables in the place. Overall, we were disappointed in the choices.
- Noisysss93Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was extremely noisy and the service was terrible. Waitress rarely came to our table to check up on us and brought the wrong dinner item to the table.Special Features:
- Chocolate is the reason to goRussDined on 9/13/2014Went to Max Brenner on a busy Saturday night during restaurant week. We were seated promptly at our 7 PM reservation tie. Service was prompt and atteetive despite the place being very crowded. This is also a very noisy place, perhaops partly due to several bachelorette parties going on. Lots of interesting cocktails (including several chocolate varieties. My wife's hamburger was very good and the accompaying fries (dusted with chocolate) were outstanding. My salmon was overcooked, but adorned with a good arugala salad. Dessert was a chocolate/fruit fondue and was excellent.Special Features:
- Great as always!NowayNoeDined on 9/13/2014This is my third time going there and it's just as great as the first time! We even got the same waiter that we had over a year ago! We were so excited and the our party of 6 enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- MagicalwackywillyDined on 9/13/2014Words cannot express how perfect my evening was due to the great service and food provided by Max Brenner.Special Features:
- Felt overall inefficientDebbVIPDined on 9/13/2014If the host staff knew how to seat people at a table they would be prepared with menus and silverware instead of plunking us down and never bringing menus until we flagged staff down Our grand child liked all the chocolate The hot chocolate was bland As far as the food goes my son relieved a black hamburger and my daughter in law received undercooked chickenSpecial Features: