Max Brenner - Union Square
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 6464678803x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 9:00am - Midnight
Fri - 9:00am - 2:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 2:00am (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - Midnight (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Management 2123880030x
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
A word from Max Brenner - Union Square
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Union Square - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Max Brenner - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
598 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (290)special occasion (274)good for groups (273)fit for foodies (258)great for lunch (208)hot spot (207)great for brunch (186)romantic (141)late-night find (137)neighborhood gem (125)vibrant bar scene (21)scenic view (16)great for outdoor dining (9)notable wine list (4)Show More
- What could be wrong with chocolate?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Had an out of town friend who didn't want the usual touristy spot to eat. This Union Sq hot spot was the perfect location. He thought it wasn't a touristy place (hehe) and I finally had an excuse to go and experience waffle sandwiches! The service was so great and timely. Everyone was kind and patient. I'd go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014The food was just OK, and the service was just OK. The chocolate pizza is very good. My daughter wanted to go for the novelty factor, but if I was selecting a place for myself I would go elsewhere. I have been quite a few times in the past, and feel like the food is going downhill. Although the restaurant was not busy, it took some time to take the order, and get served. Nothing strikingly bad, just mediocre.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We went to Max Brenner with my daughter and 10 of her friends to celebrate her 15th birthday. It has a great NY feel--- lots of energy. The food, especially the desert was fantastic. everyone had a blast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I've been here a couple of times already and all the times I've came i haven't had anything to complain about. The service is great. Most employees are friendly and on point with making customers happy! The food is amazing i love their B.A.L.T its my #1 pick. The desserts are just mouth watering. Everything is great. Point blank :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friedly service!Harp28VIPDined on 10/26/2014A lot of hype. Cute concept but overpriced for very average quality but staff is very friendly. Great for young kids and teenagers. Parents not so impressed.Special Features:
- Love Chocolate by the Bald Man!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Max Brenner's is a perennial favorite; basically my only complaint happens when they're so busy that you have to wait to enjoy the delicious food and decadent chocolate options in the fun atmosphere (of course, reservations obviously help avoid that issue). Great for families, especially compared with many places in the city! If you haven't been, you should - it has a whimsical Charlie and the Chocolate Factory vibe, so it's best for those who don't take themselves too seriously - come in the mood to have fun and dig in to a yummy chocolate-covered-whatever! Their savory food, brunch in particular, is also delicious - I give Max Brenner's two (chocolate covered) thumbs up!Special Features:
- Great place for chocolate loversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014It's a great place, I would definitely recommend it! The best chocolate fondue ever!! Also had an omelet and that was great too!Special Features:
- Good Food/Service Could Use WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food was excellent!! Everything came out at about the right time and it was all delicious. However, we had made a reservation for 8:15 but still had to wait an extra 15 minutes to be seated, while many others were being seated before us. I know that this is not a large amount of time to have to wait but still, I believe that if a reservation is made, a table should be secured and cleared before that particular time. Other than this, the food was amazing as always.Special Features:
- Not as good as it looked.oliveoilDined on 10/25/2014Geat presentation, but the food didn't taste as good as it looked.Special Features:
- We had a reservation, but waited 1hOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We had a reservation and arrived on time. Still, we had to wait for almost an hour before they gave us a table...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Brought friends visiting from CA for pre-show dining. They LOVED the unique dishes and were still talking about how amazing their dinner was two days later.Special Features:
- Fun placeBroadwayBobDined on 10/21/2014Hostesses were confused and confusing, otherwise a fun place.Special Features:
- Desserts are the attraction!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Skip lunch and go straight to the desserts! Lunch was very industrial, not very good quality. Dessert was much better and of course that's what Max Brenner's is known for. Our waitress was outstanding--very friendly and attentive--and the rest of the staff was lovely too. Overall a good experience but I may not be back to eat, just shop at the chocolate shop.Special Features:
- Delicious TreatabcdefgVIPDined on 10/19/2014Max Brenner's is a fun place to go for brunch. The egg skillets are delicious and there are lots of fun chocolate creations.Special Features:
- a little disappointingVickiroVIPDined on 10/18/2014The average age in here at 1:00am was about 16. Noisy, not a great selection of drinks and they changed waiters on us 3 times in 35 minutes. food okSpecial Features:
- horrible wait time with reservationnycfoodieDined on 10/18/2014Had to wait almost 45 mins even after reservation a table. Not sure if I will ever reserve a table here again. Some people who were walkins got their table before us. They need to re evaluate their system.Special Features:
- Always a good timeoccasionalindulgerDined on 10/18/2014Always love going to this restaurant Great ambiance that both children and adults can appreciate. Can get packed, but great on time accommodations with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationschocolateloverDined on 10/17/2014I reserved a white chocolate cake to surprise my spouse on our 4th year anniversary and we did not receive it nor did the waiter ever mention it. On the site it clearly said "all requests will be accommodated" but that was a complete lie. He removed our menus way to fast and i couldn't get his attention to get it back being that i wanted to try other things since we waited an hour to be seated. I hate that the place is small and always crowded they would benefit a lot from moving to a bigger space and carrying more staff. The noise was loud but the ambiance was good. I love the food but from now on i will always get take out and never dine in, at least not the one in NYC. I do recomend it but i cannot guarantee anyone a good service.Special Features:
- Space and friendliness issueChocoholicDined on 10/17/2014I am a regular and this was by far the worst experience I've had thus far. First of all, it is so crowded in there and they pack the tables together too closely and we literally had no room whatsoever. I don't know how they expect us to eat like that. We were all average size I can't even imagine how someone overweight would eat in there there's just no room because of the tables. And our waiter was not even friendly he was actually pretty miserable. He wouldn't smile he would barely say anything and when we would say thank you he would not even respond. I used to be a regular but now I don't know if I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChocolateNickDined on 10/17/2014I enjoyed my food very much, but the most exciting part was the fondue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelent de food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Falta menu en espanol para ser amigable con los turistas que no entendemos bien el ingles. La comida excelente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Greatest place!!!!!KathiaandStalisDined on 10/16/2014If you LOVE chocolate this is the right place to be!!! The chocolate fondue is the best ting ever!!!! We can recomend the burger and waffelfries too!!!We'll come back for sure next time we're in N.Y. :DSpecial Features:
- Sweet Tooth!TatianaRDined on 10/15/2014I love this place cause I have a sweet tooth. The food was great especially the tiramisu which I tried for the first time. The one thing I didn't like was that my friends and I felt a bit rushed towards the end of our dinner. The restaurant is open late and there were at least 10 other tables seated, so I don't see why we were rushed. I didn't even finish my dessert and the check was already on the table. I work in a restaurant so I wasn't going to sit at the table for long because I know how it feels to wait for that one table to get up. I just felt like they could have been a bit nicer about it. I literally felt rushed off of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!HoneymoonersDined on 10/15/2014Went there just for dessert but would return for dinner bc menu looked awesome. This is the place for chocoholics! Don't miss the chocolate shot. A bevy of desserts to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent.BenjaminDined on 10/15/2014Had a decent experience here however felt the service was a little slow especially since it was a Wednesday evening and it wasn't that crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for kidsTFGNYCVIPDined on 10/14/2014Would I suggest this for any night? No. But if you have kids and want to give them a sugar rush? Yes. The chocolate is great, regular food is fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJasminaDined on 10/13/2014I had an early dinner at Max Brenners w/ a close friend on Colombus day. Service was geat we were seated in less than 5min. Our waiter Miguel was genuine and very attentive. And ofcourseeeee the food AND the classic chocolate martinis were superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILLY WONKA IN NYCVirginiaNYDined on 10/12/2014I took my daughter there for dessert, so we didn't eat anything off of the regular menu. She ordered what looked like a chocolate lava cake that came with chocolate sauce and a shot of flavoured milk on the side. The cake was very dry. I ordered the churros, which which came with raspberry, caramel, and a chocolate sauce (that was very thin, almost to the point of being watery.) Also, the small tables for two were practically on top of each other. I had to move the table away from our neighbors to get up to leave, and it strikes me as dangerous because many people have a flaming pot of fondue on their tables. Still, we loved the decor and it will try it again. The chocolate bars that they sell in the gift shop are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ally2014Dined on 10/12/2014Cool restaurant but service was not great. Ordered specialty coffees along with regular coffees for table and they arrived cold among other issues. Manager was great about fixing the issues. Great place for chocolate lovers, have some really neat menu items. Do not order the waffles, they are horrible.Special Features:
- Great for our daughter's 15th BdaySuzeDined on 10/11/2014Great spot for our daughter's 15th birthday dinner with friends. Staff did a nice job putting both of our tables not too far away from each other. However, even with a reservation there was a bit of a wait. I would definitely recommend this spot for chocolate lovers and kids/teens.Special Features:
- Excellent overall!!FoodiebriDined on 10/11/2014We were told about Max Brenners by a NYC'er while standing in line at Serendipity the day before. I am a chocoholic, so I was intrigued. So the next day of my mom and i's stay in the city, we went to max brenners for dinner. We got there around 5, and I made reservations just in case. Our waiter was very friendly and sweet. We ended up ordering the thai chicken skewers and lobster Mac and cheese, both which were delicious and for dessert we got the s'mores sundae, which was to die for and had so many different sweet delights in one dessert! Right as we were leaving, it began to get very busy (around 6:30), so we had gotten there just in time! I definitely recommend max brenners as a tasty and fun restaurant!Special Features:
- AwesomeKartchocolate444Dined on 10/11/2014I really enjoyed going to max brenner with my family it was a great experience. The waitor we had was outstanding, he was really helpful ! And the food was just excellent knowing that it is a chocolate bar you would think only the chocolate would be amazing but the pastas and pizzas were so good !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful---again!ketaVIPDined on 10/11/2014My husband & I took our kids/spouses/grandkids to NYC (10 of us) and we had a reservation at Max Brenner's. It was a complete success! The kids absolutely loved it! I loved it again, as usual. And, our waitress was one of the best waitresses we had in the whole city. I wish I knew her name so I could mention her in this review. We were seated upstairs at a long table at the back of the room which was nice. Also, one of our grandkids spilled something and they were on it like lightening and cleaned it up for us with an attitude that was just great and made our granddaughter feel OK about her 'spill'. We ate at a lot of GREAT restaurants while there but the kids like this place the best! I WILL be back, with or without kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will impress your guest(s)jimik3567Dined on 10/10/2014For someone that loves chocolate, this place will impress. Be prepared to wait if you don't have a reservation, and seating is cramped at tables for two. Regular food is good also, but you are coming here for the chocolate based foods and desserts. Wait staff and busboys are always at your table for great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the hypeGautamDined on 10/10/2014It was my first time at the restaurant and I fully expected it to be very good on the "sweet" stuff which indeed it was and all the chocolate dishes exceeded my expectations. What was a pleasant surprise was that the savory food was so good and delicious. Cannot wait to go back and take my entire family.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014My family, 3 adults 2 children, really enjoyed our visit. The service and food were both phenomenal. It was a bit loud, but that did not take away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date!!!pacman162Dined on 10/8/2014This was my 3rd time here within the past few months... I love this place... Just wish it were a bit quieter... The food and chocolate desserts and chocolate drinks are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayKevinTorres13thDined on 10/7/2014Came in on a Tuesday afternoon. The weather was calm, the sky was clear, and I was hungry. I had gone to MB with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. It seemed slow at the time but I found that to be in my favor. Seating was immediate and service was delightful. In light of my girlfriends birthday, I had asked for a dessert to be brought to us after our meal. The waiter understood my remarks when he had asked us about desert. All I said was surprise us. Overall, there was good food, pleasant service, and the smell of chocolate everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Great service, the food was amazing and the fondue & urban s'mores were amazing they bring you the flame to toast yourself. But we were seated so tightly next to others they engaged in our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet treat spotTemisw33theartDined on 10/6/2014Perfect spot for lunch. Great variety of chocolates, nice bar, great desserts! Me and my friend enjoyed it. I wouldnt mind coming here even for Valentines Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.