Max Brenner - Union Square
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 6464678803x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 9:00am - Midnight
Fri - 9:00am - 2:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 2:00am (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - Midnight (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Management 2123880030x
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
A word from Max Brenner - Union Square
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max Brenner - Union Square - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Max Brenner - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
612 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (305)good for groups (274)special occasion (271)fit for foodies (252)great for lunch (212)hot spot (200)great for brunch (195)romantic (137)late-night find (136)neighborhood gem (114)vibrant bar scene (18)scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (9)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Good food, not good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014When we are n NYC, we try to get to Max Brenners. The service there seems to be continuing to go downhill. The servers never write down your order, but they also rarely get it right. And the food rarely comes out together. While we do enjoy the food and the chocolate, it was annoying to be there this last time. And, the hostess was downright rude.
- GreatBksaladDined on 9/27/2014Very crowded on a Saturday night but with the reservation we skipped the 40+ min wait. Service was good considering the overwhelming amount of people. Waffle salad was fine except for the waffle which was dry and did not pair well with the salad. Also the salad's name was quinoa-chickpea but there was barely a sprinkling of quinoa but there was the equivalent of an entire can of chickpeas. Dessert was excellent (half of a marshmallow covered chocolate pizza). Bathrooms very clean. I am from New York but I still make the trip to this restaurant every once in a while. Overall satisfied with the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014I made a reservation at 9:15am, but i went in about 45min later. I mean i understand that the restaurant is busy and all, and i'd understand if she said it nicely. However, the hostess was so rude about the wait. I asked her politely for the first time, but she'd give me attitude and answer.Special Features:
- Too crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I understand it's Saturday night in Union Square, but wow... tables are way too close to eachother... way too many people waiting up at the front. Very loud. Need to remove a good number of the tables, and manage the people waiting better.Special Features:
- not just for Chocolate LoverstsnycDined on 9/27/2014We were quite surprised at how tasty our food was. We had the waffle turkey sandwich and the Margerite panini. All was very good the salad as well was fresh and tasty. The sharing fondue was excellent! Yummy as well was a dark chocolate, granita milkshake. Our server was efficient and very personable and the bus staff was great! Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- A must do with kids in NYC!Travel123Dined on 9/27/2014Aside from the fun that the chocolate atmosphere brings, the food was delicious! We ordered the chocolate fondu and it came with fried bananas which were the family favorite. The waffle sandwiches were a hit as well! We are always looking for fun things to do with the kids when we hit the city and Max Brenner is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!!!MMMdelishDined on 9/26/2014It is like being in chocolate heaven. Tip: make reservations or you will be waiting atleast one hour for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome foodf2ftgcfDined on 9/25/2014The foods awesome, and creative, and very tasty. Nothing bad I could say of the food. The tables are a little on the small side, but I was a little bummed that our waitress stopped refilling our water cups after the third time and brought us our check without asking if we wanted anything else, making us feel like we over stayed our welcome. I don't like the rush this place provides, its Good for a quick and dirty but not something ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold foodFoodieDined on 9/25/2014Our burgers took incredible 30 minutes to arrive at our table. The restaurant was not packed - I have been there during busier hours - and yet, it took so long. Brenner Burgers are delicious, so are the waffle fries that come along. But this was a sad experience. Besides taking forever to arrive, the Burgers were no longer hot, and the fries were cold. What a disappointment! I love Max Brenner and often take friends there because it is a special attraction in the city. But after this experience, I will seriously consider taking them for a burger somewhere else.Special Features:
- First time there and...JessnycDined on 9/22/2014I went to Max Brenners for my birthday and they have the best chocolate martinis. As far as food goes I had the pulled pork burrito and it was ok, nothing I would order again. Overall the experience was nice, pleasant atmosphere, it wasn't noisy, service was good, server was friendly, prices are good. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to dine at.threebananasDined on 9/22/2014It was my wife's birthday and it the staff and ambiance made it a fun place to go to. The food was good and our waitress was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualSue72Dined on 9/21/2014Their deserts are the best. And I also love their drinks and waffles fries. I highly recommended going here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!SimplydessDined on 9/20/2014I went there with my boyfriend for my birthday. Our server unfortunately i cannot remember his name, was great it was my boyfriends first time there so he was very nice and explain everything to us, and made it a really fun environment. My boyfriend isnt a fan of sweets but everything was so amazing that now he wants to go for HIS birthday. He claims hes giving chocolate a second chance lol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseConflictedDined on 9/20/2014Despite its touristy reputation...I was very pleasantly surprised by the food I had here. The waffle cheesesteak was perfect and I loved the chocolate coffee milkshake also. I would definitely come back to try other dishes. No complaints!Special Features:
- Not the samecrollVIPDined on 9/20/2014We have beengoing there every year as an annual girls trip but the change in menu really through us off. And we heard this from other patrons too. People were asking for their favorites. Waitress was impatient and my order was wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max Brenner-all to Maximum!!AlyonkaDined on 9/19/2014Marvelous food A very unique experience X-llent mood is guaranteed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Work DinnerbklynfoodieDined on 9/18/2014As always I was not disspaointed with the service or food at max brenner. Our waiter was very attentive and the food was exceptional.Special Features:
- LOVE THE CHOCOLATE BALD MANAWESOMEDined on 9/18/2014THIS IS A MUST GO PLACE FOR EVERYONE! Everytime I go, its like like my first time. LOVE IT! WOrds cant describe how awesome everything is! I recommand everything especially their dry rubbed wings and the chocolate fondue!Special Features:
- Chocolatiest birthday!Amanda13Dined on 9/17/2014I went to Max Brenners with my roommates to celebrate my 18th birthday and it was so nice! The place was beautiful and there were a lot of people in there as well. The food was amazing! I got very cheesy Mac and cheese with bacon and tomatoe and it was so good and crispy! For dessert my roommates got the fondue for two which looked awesome and was huge! They also got the banana marshmallow pizza which was great! I got the chocolate lava cake and it was so good! This is definitely a place for chocolate lovers! Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great FunRetreatownerDined on 9/17/2014Awesome Crunchy Chicken Mac and Cheese flowed by the Chocolate Pizza. Oh not to forget, for starters we had the Intoxi Cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service! Goood food!NanaVIPDined on 9/16/2014Max Brenner has always been a favorite of mine. However, the service was amazing this time around. The waiter was always around asking if we needed anything, and in the end taped up an Opentable check I accidentally ripped up for me. We ordered the wings and the waffle steak, as well as the Chocolate martini and they were all great. The service gets better every time I stop by and I will continue to do so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing placebarbieDined on 9/15/2014Enjoyed my time here. My daughter requested I bring her here for her 20th birthday dinner and I am pleased she did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service has declinedLainDined on 9/14/2014Have been going here for quite some time and on this recent visit, we were the only ones there that had a reservation yet 6 couples and 2 groups were all seated before us (that came after us). When we were eventually seated, we were given an awful table by the door that had no space to sit OR eat. Sad considering I sent a special note requesting a good table for my husband's birthday. I had hyped this place up so much to him, and was thoroughly embarassed afterwards. Our waitress was rushed and rude and we couldn't keep her attention long enough to order. We are very happy and patient people but our nerves were shot. Even the store section doesn't seem to be like it used to-missing many of my favourite items.Special Features:
- greataaLiDined on 9/14/2014Love the place each time I visit with new friends who fall in love with it as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!NikkiMDined on 9/14/2014The food here is awesome it's not just yummy desserts perfect for a lazy brunch on the weekends :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist Trapsi12Dined on 9/13/2014Overpriced and extremely packed. We had a reservation but still ended up waiting.Special Features:
- Our ServerRYM2010Dined on 9/13/2014I took my wife and four year old daughter to Max Benner this past Saturday evening. We both have enjoyed Max Benner over the years, but his past experience was far the worst because our server has so rude and unwelcoming that it made our dinner experience so terrible. He did not introduce himself or say welcome to. All said are you ready and looked at us as if he was so mad at us. WOW that is horrible service. I should asked for a manager which was my error for not doing so. This server is a tall man and worked the upper floor that evening. A serious retraining would certainly help him and Max's reputation.
- LOVE IT!!LoriDined on 9/13/2014Great FOOD and chocolate martinis!!! My favorite place to eat and drink!!!Special Features:
- Raves for chocolate, service too!suzg44Dined on 9/13/2014Fabulous lunch. chocolate desserts were truly decadent and delicious. Will be back, service was great and the server was delightful, knowledgeable and personable(Theresa)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocoholics rejoice!JulesDined on 9/13/2014This was my second visit to Max Brenner, Union Square, and it was as wonderful as the first time! The menu is unusual and varied, and quite tasty. We went for brunch as there were no tables available in the evening for a few days; so if you want to do dinner, be sure to make reservations well in advance. At 11:45am there was no problem getting a table. There's also a chocolate shop with loads of fun gifts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodleeniex3Dined on 9/11/2014Good food, good service. Too full to get dessert this time but make sure to get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Jaenyc77Dined on 9/10/2014Took my 5 year old for his birthday. We enjoyed EVERYTHING! No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ghy1VIPDined on 9/8/2014Clean the ladies bathrooms, they were totally dirtySpecial Features:
- Great placemercerDined on 9/7/2014Always enjoy coming here with my family. A+++++++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chocolate cocktails but..KtmoranDined on 9/6/2014The hostesses are absolutely horrible, young, rude teenage girls. The manager doesn't seen to care either because they keep pretty busy. Waiters abd waitresses are great but who wants their first impression to be awful? I've experienced this about 10 different times and won't be returningSpecial Features:
- Decent Food, Bad ServicerickjlimDined on 9/6/2014The food was decent and the dessert was great! I brought my friends here to celebrate a birthday and boy was the waitress awkward. Long story short, the waitress was horrible at making us comfortable. I couldn't thoroughly enjoy my food since the waitress never came back to refill my water and fill in any other orders.Special Features:
- nice and affordablehobieDined on 9/6/2014the decor was nice and the desert and chocolate shop were great. the food was good but not great or anything to write home about. overall the service was great and the chocolate was great. also its affordable.Special Features:
- GreatDenisaDined on 9/5/2014It was just amazing. We enjoy it everytime we go there. If you have a table reserved and you have to wait a couple of min, they txt you when it's ready. The service was great and the food delicious. The desert, well I don't think I need to say more. You just have to go thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious but Crowdeddanalee48Dined on 9/1/2014My mother and I had a wonderful time at Max Brenner. The restaurant was beautiful with lots of candlelight and dark, chocolatey decor. The savoury options that we chose were phenomenal (I strongly suggest the Ultimate Mole Burrito), and the chocolate desserts were delicious, as expected. Our server was extremely helpful and doting. He also had a charming way about him which made our experience at the restaurant all the more worthwhile. We didn't sit at the chocolate bar but that area of the restaurant was extremely cool. It had a certain mature whimsy about it, almost like a room for adults at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. My one, and only, complaint about the experience is that the restaurant was quite crowded. Overall: 4.5/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent desertFoodhunterVIPDined on 9/1/2014Food is good, desert is unique. Service could be better and the tables be a bit more distant one from the other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.