Max Brenner - Union Square
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 6464678803x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 9:00am - Midnight
Fri - 9:00am - 2:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 2:00am (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - Midnight (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Management 2123880030x
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
A word from Max Brenner - Union Square
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max Brenner - Union Square - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Max Brenner - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
658 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (323)special occasion (298)good for groups (285)fit for foodies (250)great for lunch (226)great for brunch (224)hot spot (195)romantic (148)late-night find (148)neighborhood gem (116)scenic view (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (10)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Max BrennersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014A fun place , love chocolate but the Food was disappointing. Stick to the burgers.Special Features:
- Had high hopes... fell shortKimberlyZDined on 8/25/2014Max Brenner is a genius in marketing. His website draws you in to the story and the magic. The "live" experience falls short of the expectations, however. The kangaroo cup, the hug cup, the plates overflowing with sweet goodness... the whole idea behind having a magical experience in chocolate heaven fed to us through the elaborate website falls disappointingly short in real life. Sure, the chocolate pancakes with pecans and bananas are good and the cappuccino looks phenomenal in the kangaroo cup with the 2 piece of chocolate melting slowly from the heat of the liquid, but is it worth a detour and the hype? No. I've had better tasting chocolate in places like Paris and Montreal. All in all, we had an enjoyable brunch, but nothing special.Special Features:
- this is willy wonka's homeimperialguyDined on 8/23/2014What an amazing ambience. Slight drizzle outside and some warm chocolate inside. I ordered some chicken wings with blue cheese. Absolute heaven. And then there's the mocha madness - it's kinda like a chocolate martini - careful, it's very very sweet. It was a festive atmosphere and just the right amount of music to keep things lively.Special Features:
- Enjoyable ExperienceMaurie57Dined on 8/23/2014I am so glad I made a reservation ahead of time. It was a Saturday night and people were being told they would have to wait 1 1/2 - 2 hours for a table. After about a 20 minute wait, we were seated. The food choices are of a diner quality. My friend had the chocolate martini and loved it. There are many desserts to choose from. We had the fondue which was nice. Overall what made the night was our waiter. He was a very nice Asian boy who seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm for his job. I would go back but probably just for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestACOSDined on 8/23/2014I've been living in New York for almost 2 years and that's my favorite restaurant. I`ll miss it when I leave.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Went as a family with 2 teenagers. Everyone had a pleasant time. Reservations a MUST! Was very crowded, but we were seated within minutes of our arrival. Cozy atmosphere but very lively. Gourmet chocolate goodies in gift store too pricey for kids though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014The Chocolate was outstanding!! Waiter was fun. Place was great! Will go back and will recommend it!Special Features:
- Bday Celebration:)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014I took my daughter here for her 14th birthday celebration with a few of her friends. The place was everything we expected, fun, hip and enjoyable! Our waitress was amazing, not only did she provide us with great service but she gave us little stories behind our drinks and food. It was a big hit with the girls and I thoroughly enjoyed my time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nancie66Dined on 8/23/2014The food and the wait staff are excellent. The wait staff is competent, accommodating and cheerful, fitting well with the setting. I have been here four times with 5 people. Each time we have been seated at a table comfortable for 4, and uncomfortable for 5. The fifth person's chair is really in the aisle, and three people are sharing a tabletop fit for 2. It's uncomfortable, and clearly an intended practice from the many other guests who were similarly stacked. It makes me think about going elsewhere when there are five in the party. If this weren't a special birthday request to eat here from one of the guests we would have dined elsewhere. At the prices in this menu that practice is not acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love chocolate...slc4200Dined on 8/23/2014I have been to Max Brenner's in Boston and NYC did not disappoint. The wait staff was extremely attentive and although the draw here is the chocolate, their food is very good. Our party all enjoyed our lunch fare and I would recommend Max Brenner's for lunch or dinner. In addition, my daughter has nut allergies and the staff was very educated as to what items to avoid.Special Features:
- great food!foodie4lifeDined on 8/23/2014the guilt-free omelet was AMAZING!!! i substituted the swiss cheese for the goat cheese, and i am glad i did. it was the BEST omelet i ever had in my LIFE!!!! i am not a big fan of chicken sausage (i dont eat pork, so i always go for the alternate meat) and it was DELISH!!! large portion. maybe share an order of sausage. the only downfall was i had to flag down my waitress too many times to refill my water, and usually when i do brunch the mimosas are unlimited. these drinks were pricey, and not unlimited. overall, i would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun - fit for chocoholics!ChefmomVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is the second time we have been to the restaurant - our food was just so, so - the dinner menu is really not why you come here. The dessert menu is fantastic, outstanding, and lots of fun - and it tastes as good as it looks. We had $12 pudding - which was a bit outrageous, but it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ExperienceMorelDined on 8/21/2014First time here and it was wonderful. My boyfriend enjoyed celebrating his birthday here. We will be returning and encourageing others to experience the wonderful time we did.Special Features:
- I would return againJellybeanDined on 8/21/2014The desserts are amazing. Some are better than other sure but everyone has their favorite. The portions are pretty small but overall satisfying. I'm picky with wine and haven't tried many so I can't review much on that. I can say the frozen lemonade is good :). I want to definitely come back and try their crepes. I want to try a few more thing too so I'll definitely come back. I went for dinner and it's cute for a one on one and be intimate with one another. I would like to see how it is for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbaplantDined on 8/21/2014Staff is friendly and very helpful. Food comes out quickly and is delicious every time.Special Features:
- Awesome, as alwaysReviewer1Dined on 8/19/2014This place is my go-to. They never disappoint.. I've been here millions of times and every meal I've had has been amazing. Also, it's not too expensive for what you get! It a great place to take out of statersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodislifeDined on 8/19/2014I love chocolate and have been wanting to go to Max Brenner for a while. I was not disappointed. I wanted to eat everything!! I was so full after leaving that I could barely walk. The dessert menu is just as appealing as the dinner menu! I will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Max BrennersoupersandiDined on 8/19/2014My daughter requested to go for a last hooray before going away to college. We had tix to see a show in the evening and tight schedule to get back to Radio City. Came early before our reservation and staff accommodated. The waitress was pleasant and answered questions about the menu. Thought initially the service was quick despite some reviews, entrées and my daughter's shake came sooner than expected. However due to our time crunch, put our dessert order for "pizza," as soon as we were ready. That's were the problem was, we waited a very long time for the dessert which was only a half order. I had a hard time understanding this discrepancy and staff didn't stop by to address why it was taking so long. It was before dinner and not crowded.Special Features:
- Excellent food but stomach achesEyechocolateDined on 8/17/2014Both my friend and I got the lobster Mac n cheese and it tasted amazing. However, we both got stomach aches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- choco foodiesmangiatimeDined on 8/17/2014If you love chocolate, then this has to be on your restaurant bucket list!!! Vibrant scene. Desserts out of this world!!! food was very good and service as well. Great for families, but also a fun date night.Special Features:
- Something different for lunchGSD53Dined on 8/17/2014Good spot for lunch. Great if you love chocolate and desserts. I would rate the non dessert foods as good, not great. Enjoyed the 80's Shake. Attentive, friendly service. Nice spot for a change of pace.Special Features:
- FunTable42Dined on 8/17/2014The food was great. Especially the waffle sandwiches. And the Desserts were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality has decreasedAmiraDined on 8/16/2014The food quality has decreased. I've been going to the Union Square & Philly Max Brenners for years and this vist was not great. The pasta was very underdone and not big on flavor. The bathroom wait was extremely long. Seems like its becoming a tourist trap.Special Features:
- Tasty MorselsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Dessert was what we went for , the fondue for 2 was enough for 4!!! Fun evening, good chocolate !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good desserts but OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014food was not very tasty, I felt it was expensive for what you receive. The desserts were good though.
- AmaizingJossDined on 8/15/2014Went here with three of my friends, to celebrate her wedding and just to new begginings and had a wonderful time. Our servers name was Maria she was really friendly and gave good tips on what was good. We all enjoyed our time and our food for sure!!! Lets not forget the desert everything was good... (Lobster mac & cheese, burger, panini, pulled pork sandwich)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For chocolate loverslanefoodieDined on 8/15/2014It was hard for me to pick something from the menu, because I wanted to eat at least 5 different desserts. I ordered the chocolate pizza and my mom had the cookie with ice cream. The pizza was very good, but the cookie was even better!Special Features:
- Oh mama!!!ketaVIPDined on 8/15/2014I love this place! I try to eat here as much as I can. The food is great & the desserts are to die for! Besides a wonderful dessert, you must try the waffle fries!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint PlaceyummyVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was great! Max Brenner is great for kids and groups who want an interactive dessert experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Portion size did not equate to the price. Very disapointed. Total ripoff especially the chocolate fondue for $25.
- One hour waitWaitingtoeatDined on 8/11/2014I made reservations for a friends birthday. We waited for more than an hour for a table for 3. Food was great but that wait screwed with all the other activities we had planned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we booked ahead..loveopentableDined on 8/10/2014Decided to try this popular place and it did not disappoint! But then again, the restaurant revolved around good CHOCOLATE!!! Went here with my husband and two girls for dinner. From the time we checked in for our reservation, it took less than 10 minutes to be seated. The restaurant stays pretty busy-- the noise level is high, so be prepared. Not a place for a quiet, romantic meal, but rather for a fun time with friends and family. Good kids' menu options, but a little on the high side (price-wise) for the portions of food you get on the adult menu. Excellent chocolate drinks and dessert menus! Got the chocolate hazelnut banana crepe for dessert (huge!) which was to die for!Special Features:
- Chocolate heaven!LorivDined on 8/10/2014My sister and I took my two nieces there for lunch. We had lunch food as well as dessert. Everything was delicious. The desserts are out of this world. We tried three different deserts including the fondue, the s'mores, and the heart-shaped chocolate cake. So yummy!! The downfall was that our server was horrible. Our food took a long time, and then our desserts took equally as long. We sat and watched as tables around us came and went and for some reason our food was held up. She never explained why it took so long, or even offered anything complementary. She definitely knew we were upset. If and when we are back there again we will just be sure to request a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Different Kind of RestaurantDrRobinVIPDined on 8/10/2014I had received a gift card to Max Brenner and the restaurant in my city closed so, since I was traveling to NYC, I decided to use it there. A group of four went there on a Sunday for breakfast. The thought of chocolate and breakfast was a little odd at first, but the amount of chocolate with our meals was very palatable. Most of the items were a little too spicy for us. Would really recommend the Vidalia Onion rings with the chocolate aoeli sauce. The black and tan batter was light and did not overpower the onion. The sauce just added enough of a kick.Special Features:
- Comfort foodkOfDelandDined on 8/9/2014The description of the menu as being comfort food oriented is correct. Everything was good and surprisingly they had a good variety. The air is thick with the smell of chocolate (dessert was amazing) so not the place if you are avoiding sweets!Special Features:
- chocolate dreamOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014loved it but felt very rushed through my appetizer and dinner.Special Features:
- Chocolate lovers paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The food and drinks were fantastic. My favorite was the decadent chocolate martiniSpecial Features:
- DevineYaddiraa16Dined on 8/8/2014The food was so delicious it was great! I literally loved it so mich it was so awesome! Especially the dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014I took my 10 and 12 year old daughters to Max Brenner's for lunch and dessert. We had a great time, they loved the dessert and I liked that there were good options on the menu for a casual lunch. The staff was great as well, I would recommend this spot for a fun lunch with children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Went for late night dessert and discovered a delicious macaroniSpecial Features: