Max Brenner - Union Square
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 6464678803x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 9:00am - Midnight
Fri - 9:00am - 2:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 2:00am (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - Midnight (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Management 2123880030x
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
A word from Max Brenner - Union Square
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Union Square - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Max Brenner - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
613 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (297)special occasion (275)good for groups (269)fit for foodies (258)great for lunch (214)hot spot (205)great for brunch (186)romantic (143)late-night find (137)neighborhood gem (123)vibrant bar scene (19)scenic view (18)great for outdoor dining (11)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Delicious TreatabcdefgVIPDined on 10/19/2014Max Brenner's is a fun place to go for brunch. The egg skillets are delicious and there are lots of fun chocolate creations.Special Features:
- a little disappointingVickiroVIPDined on 10/18/2014The average age in here at 1:00am was about 16. Noisy, not a great selection of drinks and they changed waiters on us 3 times in 35 minutes. food okSpecial Features:
- Always a good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Always love going to this restaurant Great ambiance that both children and adults can appreciate. Can get packed, but great on time accommodations with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I reserved a white chocolate cake to surprise my spouse on our 4th year anniversary and we did not receive it nor did the waiter ever mention it. On the site it clearly said "all requests will be accommodated" but that was a complete lie. He removed our menus way to fast and i couldn't get his attention to get it back being that i wanted to try other things since we waited an hour to be seated. I hate that the place is small and always crowded they would benefit a lot from moving to a bigger space and carrying more staff. The noise was loud but the ambiance was good. I love the food but from now on i will always get take out and never dine in, at least not the one in NYC. I do recomend it but i cannot guarantee anyone a good service.Special Features:
- Space and friendliness issueChocoholicDined on 10/17/2014I am a regular and this was by far the worst experience I've had thus far. First of all, it is so crowded in there and they pack the tables together too closely and we literally had no room whatsoever. I don't know how they expect us to eat like that. We were all average size I can't even imagine how someone overweight would eat in there there's just no room because of the tables. And our waiter was not even friendly he was actually pretty miserable. He wouldn't smile he would barely say anything and when we would say thank you he would not even respond. I used to be a regular but now I don't know if I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChocolateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I enjoyed my food very much, but the most exciting part was the fondue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelent de food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Falta menu en espanol para ser amigable con los turistas que no entendemos bien el ingles. La comida excelente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Greatest place!!!!!KathiaandStalisDined on 10/16/2014If you LOVE chocolate this is the right place to be!!! The chocolate fondue is the best ting ever!!!! We can recomend the burger and waffelfries too!!!We'll come back for sure next time we're in N.Y. :DSpecial Features:
- Sweet Tooth!TatianaRDined on 10/15/2014I love this place cause I have a sweet tooth. The food was great especially the tiramisu which I tried for the first time. The one thing I didn't like was that my friends and I felt a bit rushed towards the end of our dinner. The restaurant is open late and there were at least 10 other tables seated, so I don't see why we were rushed. I didn't even finish my dessert and the check was already on the table. I work in a restaurant so I wasn't going to sit at the table for long because I know how it feels to wait for that one table to get up. I just felt like they could have been a bit nicer about it. I literally felt rushed off of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!HoneymoonersDined on 10/15/2014Went there just for dessert but would return for dinner bc menu looked awesome. This is the place for chocoholics! Don't miss the chocolate shot. A bevy of desserts to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent.BenjaminDined on 10/15/2014Had a decent experience here however felt the service was a little slow especially since it was a Wednesday evening and it wasn't that crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for kidsTFGNYCVIPDined on 10/14/2014Would I suggest this for any night? No. But if you have kids and want to give them a sugar rush? Yes. The chocolate is great, regular food is fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJasminaDined on 10/13/2014I had an early dinner at Max Brenners w/ a close friend on Colombus day. Service was geat we were seated in less than 5min. Our waiter Miguel was genuine and very attentive. And ofcourseeeee the food AND the classic chocolate martinis were superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILLY WONKA IN NYCVirginiaNYDined on 10/12/2014I took my daughter there for dessert, so we didn't eat anything off of the regular menu. She ordered what looked like a chocolate lava cake that came with chocolate sauce and a shot of flavoured milk on the side. The cake was very dry. I ordered the churros, which which came with raspberry, caramel, and a chocolate sauce (that was very thin, almost to the point of being watery.) Also, the small tables for two were practically on top of each other. I had to move the table away from our neighbors to get up to leave, and it strikes me as dangerous because many people have a flaming pot of fondue on their tables. Still, we loved the decor and it will try it again. The chocolate bars that they sell in the gift shop are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ally2014Dined on 10/12/2014Cool restaurant but service was not great. Ordered specialty coffees along with regular coffees for table and they arrived cold among other issues. Manager was great about fixing the issues. Great place for chocolate lovers, have some really neat menu items. Do not order the waffles, they are horrible.Special Features:
- Great for our daughter's 15th BdaySuzeDined on 10/11/2014Great spot for our daughter's 15th birthday dinner with friends. Staff did a nice job putting both of our tables not too far away from each other. However, even with a reservation there was a bit of a wait. I would definitely recommend this spot for chocolate lovers and kids/teens.Special Features:
- Excellent overall!!FoodiebriDined on 10/11/2014We were told about Max Brenners by a NYC'er while standing in line at Serendipity the day before. I am a chocoholic, so I was intrigued. So the next day of my mom and i's stay in the city, we went to max brenners for dinner. We got there around 5, and I made reservations just in case. Our waiter was very friendly and sweet. We ended up ordering the thai chicken skewers and lobster Mac and cheese, both which were delicious and for dessert we got the s'mores sundae, which was to die for and had so many different sweet delights in one dessert! Right as we were leaving, it began to get very busy (around 6:30), so we had gotten there just in time! I definitely recommend max brenners as a tasty and fun restaurant!Special Features:
- AwesomeKartchocolate444Dined on 10/11/2014I really enjoyed going to max brenner with my family it was a great experience. The waitor we had was outstanding, he was really helpful ! And the food was just excellent knowing that it is a chocolate bar you would think only the chocolate would be amazing but the pastas and pizzas were so good !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful---again!ketaVIPDined on 10/11/2014My husband & I took our kids/spouses/grandkids to NYC (10 of us) and we had a reservation at Max Brenner's. It was a complete success! The kids absolutely loved it! I loved it again, as usual. And, our waitress was one of the best waitresses we had in the whole city. I wish I knew her name so I could mention her in this review. We were seated upstairs at a long table at the back of the room which was nice. Also, one of our grandkids spilled something and they were on it like lightening and cleaned it up for us with an attitude that was just great and made our granddaughter feel OK about her 'spill'. We ate at a lot of GREAT restaurants while there but the kids like this place the best! I WILL be back, with or without kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will impress your guest(s)jimik3567Dined on 10/10/2014For someone that loves chocolate, this place will impress. Be prepared to wait if you don't have a reservation, and seating is cramped at tables for two. Regular food is good also, but you are coming here for the chocolate based foods and desserts. Wait staff and busboys are always at your table for great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the hypeGautamDined on 10/10/2014It was my first time at the restaurant and I fully expected it to be very good on the "sweet" stuff which indeed it was and all the chocolate dishes exceeded my expectations. What was a pleasant surprise was that the savory food was so good and delicious. Cannot wait to go back and take my entire family.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014My family, 3 adults 2 children, really enjoyed our visit. The service and food were both phenomenal. It was a bit loud, but that did not take away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date!!!pacman162Dined on 10/8/2014This was my 3rd time here within the past few months... I love this place... Just wish it were a bit quieter... The food and chocolate desserts and chocolate drinks are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayKevinTorres13thDined on 10/7/2014Came in on a Tuesday afternoon. The weather was calm, the sky was clear, and I was hungry. I had gone to MB with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. It seemed slow at the time but I found that to be in my favor. Seating was immediate and service was delightful. In light of my girlfriends birthday, I had asked for a dessert to be brought to us after our meal. The waiter understood my remarks when he had asked us about desert. All I said was surprise us. Overall, there was good food, pleasant service, and the smell of chocolate everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Great service, the food was amazing and the fondue & urban s'mores were amazing they bring you the flame to toast yourself. But we were seated so tightly next to others they engaged in our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet treat spotTemisw33theartDined on 10/6/2014Perfect spot for lunch. Great variety of chocolates, nice bar, great desserts! Me and my friend enjoyed it. I wouldnt mind coming here even for Valentines Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely place but !!lovelythinkingDined on 10/6/2014we actually loved the place and I would recommended to my friends but the reason I put three stars is my order was a penne alfraido and it was too oily and not that good and when I told the waitress about it she didn't do anything and I just ate a little of it and I left it. Otherwise, everything else was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONE WORD , AMAZING!!FoodloverDined on 10/5/2014This place was just awesome. It was our first time ever and the food was amazing (lobster mac suggested by waitress was out of this world) we got two kinds of mac and a Brenner Burger which was ridiculously good. Our waitress was just a pleasure to have the entire time ! Dessert was banana tempura and a fondue for two (which was sufficient for four) and it was just as amazing as the food. Hands down one of the best dining experiences we've had by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest dining experienceLovetoeatDined on 10/5/2014This location has the best service I've ever had. The food was amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingPotterDined on 10/5/2014Although busy and noisy, excellent food & fast and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014A must experience in New York City. the place was booming on the Saturday night. Our server was pleasant and patient especially when the kids could not decide from all the choices. Even my 11 year old said--WOW we got our food fast! But dont forget to make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as the original one :)MaxIsTheBestDined on 10/4/2014Knew from beforehand in Israel how wonderful max brenner is, and actually here the menu was a little bit different and more suitable for the american society, and it was marvelous. The design even of the place was better than in Israel. More crowded though and very busy (thankfully Iv'e oredered reservations in advance) but it was worth every moment. And the ahop there is amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disapointement !!!!not4usDined on 10/4/2014I made a reservation on line for lunch and a vanilla birthday cake for my niece's 15th at 1:30 on 10/05/14. Upon arrival, nobody knew about it.We had lunch and a long wait. I had to explain again the request to the outstanding waiter (Sean). An other long wait, we were served a tiny chocolate cake with a scoop of ice cream and a candle on the top (around 15$) no apologies for the wait or the change of the cake's flavor. I didn't want to make a fuss, not to spoil the celebration and paid 150$ for the whole lunch. We were very disappointed as we expected the place to be special. My niece is a chocolate lover and this was supposed to be my surprise birthday present for her. We won't come back and won't recommend the place to my friends.
- Delish!FoodieDined on 10/3/2014I really enjoyed the Tutti Frutti Waffles but I think I'll stick to my ususal, Margherita Pannini OR the pasta or mac and cheese. This location is much larger than Philly but not as large as the one in Tel Aviv. The server wasn't very attentive, though.Special Features:
- BeautifulSamA6969Dined on 10/3/2014Best desert ever. This place has THE BEST waffle I have ever had. Get the Munchies waffle!!Special Features:
- Good experienceChocolover29Dined on 10/3/2014The place was rather noisy, but the food and service was great. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for my first time!AlexisDined on 10/3/2014My party arrived 20 minutes before our reservation time and we were seated immediately, which makes me very happy that we made a reservation. The last time I tried to eat here, I arrived at 8, and they had no availability until 1 in the morning. The waiter was really great. The food was great, presented well, and arrived pretty speedily for a Friday evening. I'm definitely looking forward to going back here.Special Features:
- nyclite104Dined on 10/3/2014The service was very friendly. The food was amazing. I ordered the Sunday Mood Pasta and it was totally worth it. The best part was the fondu with the oven. I would deff dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATCurle91VIPDined on 10/2/2014every aspect of the meal is amazing. the only difficult part is keeping room for desert!!! I had the hamburger and asked for extra sauce for the fries and put it on my burger YUMSpecial Features:
- Chocolate Lovers Dream SpotTravelingFoodieDined on 10/1/2014So ALL the chocolate is wonderful! Past that the menu is full of interesting items that are highly adequate and satisfying as you eat some real food before the dessert. BUT the best thing is not for kids at all -- it is the bar. The cocktail selection touts the traditional to the wonderfully infused with chocolate. The chocolate drinks are not necessarily sweet. They are carefully crafted to accentuate the nuance of a particular drink. I have gone with kids and I have gone on an adult date. Good both ways. A hit against it... the gift shop. I am not a fan of passing through a gift shop to get to dinner. Overall, a must try. Have a chocolate martini, lobster mad and cheese and finish with a deconstructed smore fondue. Enjoy!Special Features: