Max Brenner - Boston
745 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 617-274-1741x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 10:00am - 11:00pm
Fri - 10:00am - 1:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 1:00am (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
- Cross Street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
- Public Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter street parking and garage parking at the Prudential Center across the street are available.
A word from Max Brenner - Boston
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Max Brenner - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)kid-friendly (65)good for groups (56)great for brunch (55)fit for foodies (54)great for lunch (47)hot spot (38)romantic (37)neighborhood gem (26)late-night find (26)great for outdoor dining (25)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Don't waste your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Very expensive for OK food. Suggest to try one of the surrounding establishments for a meal, then stop at Max for dessert. I got a mexican salad, it was small, and almost pushed $15. I was very surprised at the lack of creativity of the food. Wife is gluten free, forget it. There are only 2 options……salmon, or a no bread sandwich. Again, pushing $15 for a SMALL piece of chicken on a bed of lettuce and sliced tomato. Service was VERY slow, and it was a Tuesday night. Finally, bathroom was gross, although we let the front service know and it seemed they were going to take care of it right away.
- The food was not as I remembered!MkelleyDined on 8/19/2014I went here during RW on a whim because I noticed the sign in the Pru, with my mouth ready to go I made the reservation and made the five minute walk over. The five menus were a overwhelming and I already knew that I was ordering off the RW menu. I had the wings in which some were raw in the middle, the turkey club on the rosemary waffle which was "BLAH" to say the least, and the bonbons which were so so. I was highly expecting the quality of the food to be the same if not better than when they first opened, I was dissapointed. The cooks seemed not to care about what was coming out of their kitchen. The best thing I had was the lemon granita. I defitinely wasted calories this day! :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last time at Max Brenner's!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2014Max Brenner's is a treat for my niece from Wolfeboro, NH. We went on 8/18, a Monday at 1:30 p.m. My niece's friend has a peanut allergy, which she stated before she ordered. About thirty minutes later, the waiter came out to say that all our food was ready, but that the chef had decided to start OVER on the mac & cheese; he was unsure whether the breadcrumbs were peanut-free. With the food being so late, we had to cancel an appointment for later on. My dessert was an extremely hard, stale chocolate cookie. One hour and 45 minutes later, I talked to the hostess about how bad the entire experience was. The check came to around $100. I asked to see the manager. I waited for several minutes. No manager materialized, so I left.
- Great Chocolate PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014I love the chocolate desserts. It's a great place to find new ways to have your chocolate. The crepes are amazing and so are the shakes. The food is great too but doesn't compare to the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dessert; Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014I went there intending to have a simple dinner with an amazing dessert. That is what I got. Very pleased with all the food I had, and of course the dessert was AMAZING. The specialty drinks are also super delicious, and the bartenders are quick, friendly, and are fun to watch when making these yummy concoctions. The service is where it was lost. We waited 15 min for people to come over and fill out water glasses. By that time we were ready to order. I will admit that we were a large party (7 people), but that does not make up for our waiters lack of attention. He was slow, and inattentive. I recommend to go for dessert or drinks. Dinner is yummy, but with the wait for everything I don't recommend the whole experience.Special Features:
- Food was better than the dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed my entree way more than dessert. Veggie burger is amazing and the dipping sauce with fries was the best. However chocolate sundae split with my boo was expensive and so so. The strangest part was the chocolate sauce and chips tasted funny, like chemical or soap funny. A little bit of a let down for a place all about a new chocolate culture. Butane we just got the wrong thing. I was excited to tey this place and while I'm glad I did, not sure I'll be rushing back. Though I do wish I'd tried the hot chocolate, that seems like the right thing to get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Unique menu but very loud, be prepared to shout across table. Tables also are a tight fitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So FunchocolateerDined on 8/14/2014I went here with my friends for a fun night out in the city and we had such a great time! The food was amazing and the desserts were to die for. We all loved it!Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch!!!RisaGDined on 8/14/2014Great service, excellent food - and when my teenage daughter and her friends realized they were too full (from lunch food and milkshakes) to order dessert, the server brought over a platter of candies and sliced strawberries with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate for the girls to enjoy. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dessert placechrispyhugDined on 8/11/2014This place is much better than Finale which is really the only other "dessert" restaurant around. The dessert ideas and presentations are amazing. Can't wait for the winter to try out the hot chocolate! Highly recommend the shakes as well.Special Features:
- Love itArielleVIPDined on 8/10/2014I love this place! The ambiance and food are equally fabulous.Special Features:
- Chocolate fondueiabostonDined on 8/9/2014Came here for desert only. Very nice quality chocolate and I'm picky. The European Chocolate fondue was decadent. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- fun place to goDeeADined on 8/9/2014FUN FUN FUN place to visit at least once. Be prepared to be stuffed and in a chocolate coma!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Max Brenners is much too expensive for the quality of food, particularly appetizers and deserts.
- Visit not recordedCobaltDined on 8/6/2014We used open table to reserve our seat, when we got to the resturant we had no wait and went straight to our seat. I received an emial the next day questioning why I had not honored my reservation, when I clearly had. The open table idea is great although off putting when the thought of accusational emial accompanying the end of every night due to no fault of your own.Special Features:
- Mixed bagLivinchaosDined on 8/3/2014We came here for Sunday brunch for my daughter's 13th birthday. I don't know if they were understaffed or what. Service was extremely slow. I couldn't get coffee because it had been running cold today. What? Two of my three kids were not happy with their food. Their waffles were hard and not good tasting. My dessert came after my kids had already finished theirs. Very disjointed overall and not sure if I would return again.Special Features:
- Thumbs upCharlieDined on 8/1/2014Good food, not overly priced, friendly service..........Special Features:
- slow servicejuicyqueenDined on 7/28/2014Service was too slow. Did not come aroubd enough especially to clear off dirty plates. Should notify first time customers desserts are large especially when duplicates are ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy foodchocolateheavenDined on 7/26/2014Good service, food is delicious, and the dessert menu is to die for. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatArielleVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food is awesome and the desserts are heavenly!Special Features:
- Awesome!JHongDined on 7/24/2014Awesome place for those who are looking for good food and delicious desserts. It is the perfect place to hang out with friends and family.Special Features:
- YUMEmilyDined on 7/22/2014Such a fun time here! And the milkshakes are heaven on earth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of Training and ManagementarddDined on 7/22/2014The hostess took at least 4 minutes to stare at her seating screen--the restaurant was practically empty. Once we were seated at an awkwardly placed table we asked to be moved, which seemed to confuse the hostess even more, so we just settled for the first table. Our server was not knowledgeable of the menu at all and could not answer simple questions. Later on in the meal, there was an employee clearing tables and was slamming dishes into the clearing bin, even breaking a few items, multiple times. Another server had brought over our nachos and spilled half the chips off the plate and on to the table, but did not bother to apologize or clean up the mess. The experience was chaotic and baffling.
- Great chocolate, slow serviceKBMcDined on 7/20/2014It took us two hours to eat because of the slow service. The waiter seemed overwhelmed. However the food was good and the chocolate desserts (the fondue, in particular) were awesome. It's a neat place to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for tourists and 20 y.o. but...OrangeDined on 7/19/2014I have been a number of times since I have teens so our visits are mainly for them. The menu recently changed and improved so it is not just a chocolate stop. Usually a tourist and 20 y.o. crowd so I won't say this place is particularly kid-friendly; it really depends on the server. We had an excellent one for once (Vitali?) which made this a pleasant time. The one consistent complaint over the years is the hosting staff. Train them better. Even with reservations, they just don't get the table right (first seated us at a dirty table) and often they make you feel as if they could care less. Fortunately, the ill-treated start was soothed by the good chocolate finale so we will forget and return.Special Features:
- small portions, poor servicemomx4Dined on 7/19/2014Food was good, pizzas was good and size acceptable. Chocolate desserts were small, amount of melted chocolate for fondues and ice cream pops was ridiculously small esp for the price!! Poor service, had to ask for utensils, plates and napkins!! Stack of menus left on our table the entire meal, even after I asked she take them! Waitress added an extra dessert on our bill that we didn't order! Thinking this is a tourist spot that does not rely on return business.Special Features:
- GREAT comfort food!ASCCARLDined on 7/18/2014We love Max Brenners for comfort food! The chocolate Ambiance is wonderful! We loved the food and desserts and can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Good choice only down side...Very loud, need to shout to talk.Special Features:
- Not worth the hypeBahstonDinerDined on 7/10/2014Service was absolutely terrible and the mediocre food didn't make up for that in any way. Dessert was kitschy in presentation, but definitely didn't live up to the hype.
- deliciously richEkerDined on 7/7/2014Be prepared to indulge. All the food is very rich, and every plate is beautifully presented. I ordered the margharita panini which was overflowing with mozzarella. It's good to come on an empty stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-ratedlooking4yumDined on 7/6/2014The only spectacular part of our meal was the truffle covered pecans we bought at the counter. The food was underwhelming.Special Features:
- Fun and uniqueMomof3Dined on 7/6/2014Max Brenner is a fun and unique dining experience. I went with my 10 year-old son and we both enjoyed it. They not only have good food but they have an entire menu dedicated to chocolate treats! From chocolate pizza and chocolate burgers to fondu and ice cream, Max Brenner is a delicious experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All thingsChocolateBruceDined on 7/6/2014While there are many menu items that have nothing to do with chocolate, the entire experience is one not to be missed. Menu offerings from standard fare to some with unique twists. Whatever you choose from the menu, leave room for dessert, as it's all about the chocolate. A great place for a special event, or just a quick bite to eat.Special Features:
- A Chocolate Haven!PreciousRose1Dined on 7/5/2014As a chocolate lover this place was amazing. The chocolate in each dish was just right, not at all over powering. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough dinner- a lot of mistakesDinwithkidsDined on 7/4/2014First time visit, trucked through rain to get there with two kids. Got bad table with bar members sitting at high top looking down on us, plenty of other tables moved to second best table next to kitchen enterance. Used restroom, soap dispenser on the ground, no paper towels, told wait staff, " Oh I know..." Ordered second beer, were out of that, please pick another. "really" Desert time, their time to shine with chocolate specials. 30 minutes for desert. Told they had to make it, sorry. Got a frozen piece of brownie. What a joke, plus was lied too. Not trying to sound too bitter, but it was a bad experience. Maybe just come for desert next time.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Service took a while to service us. Wasn't packed. Greeters was very nice. Music was a bit loud.Special Features:
- Not so good experiencelindamahDined on 7/1/2014We, myself and my nieces 12 and 15 went to have some fondue. We specifically went to Boston on the way home from a couple day trip to Salem, Ma. We are from RI. The restaurant lacks in ambiance compared to the one in New York City. The girls liked the fondue and I ordered a hamburger well done with no fries or bun. My hamburger was red in the middle and I was charged $14.95 for a hamburger with no bun and no fries. We would not go back
- my birthday!birthdaygirl27Dined on 6/29/2014First time at Max Brenner's. I have always passed by this restaurant and wanted to go, and I felt by birthday was a good reason. Lovely server! She was patience with us, which means a lot. The food is good. The special happy birthday plate was charming. I love chocolate, the drinks were spectacular. The ice cream was glorious. I just wished they're was more cake in the desert menu. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I will come back for breakfast because that look appealing! Thank you for everything! Dream fulfilled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud. Not kidding.LoudDined on 6/27/2014I've been here before and while I'll come back, just know that the music is extremely loud to the point where you have to yell to have a conversation with your table mates. We made the mistake of going with a couple that have a sight impared child who relies heavily on sound and she was overwhelmed by the noise. I'd say the same would be true for hearing impared guests. Service was good and they tried to help but it was hard based on the space... It doesn't accommodate large parties well. So enjoy the desserts, the food, the drinks.... Just be ready for the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth one visit only.BigfoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Over-priced menu with average food and limited selection. We really liked our first experience, enjoyed our 2nd trip, tolerated our 3rd visit because my young daughter wanted to go, but was fed up by our last meal there. The magic disappeared just like the staff when you needed them, and the service continues to decline. When it comes to a restaurant based on chocolate, I think we got "milked."Special Features: