Max Brenner - Boston
745 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 617-274-1741x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 10:00am - 11:00pm
Fri - 10:00am - 1:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 1:00am (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
- Cross Street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
- Public Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter street parking and garage parking at the Prudential Center across the street are available.
A word from Max Brenner - Boston
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Max Brenner - Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Max Brenner - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (48)fit for foodies (46)hot spot (42)great for brunch (38)romantic (34)great for lunch (30)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (20)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun for AllfoodforthoughtsDined on 10/18/2014It's a fun atmosphere and worth the experience. The food was good but kudos to the chocolate cocktails and dessert options.Special Features:
- Sweet Tooth havenYummyinMytummyDined on 10/13/2014If you're a dessert addict or a chocaholic, this place is your dreamland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2explorefoodDined on 10/12/2014Our name was down for 8:30. We reached very early around 7:30. They had one open table which could have fit all of us. They made us wait for 45 minutes but didn't give us that table because our reservation was for 8:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great environment!jayjayDined on 10/12/2014My sister and I had hot chocolates (dark for me and milk for my sister), and also had a Frutti-something waffle.. the hot cholates were wonderful as usual, and the waffle was just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodGeorgesBTDined on 10/12/2014Great food, chocolate heaven, great service by our waiter. the front hostess was having an off day which was visible in her voice and look, but nothing to ruin an amazing first experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014The food was simply not that good. Overpriced for what it was.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014it was a fun place- good for kids and chocolate lovers of all ages. lunch was delicious , the ice cream milkshakes very creative and also delicious. the menu was extensive. sandwiches, salads breakfast foods and just fun snack foods as well. i plan to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Food was delicious. Service was not great. Took a long time to get items ordered and the place was not full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but could be betterFoodisgoodDined on 10/3/2014Great atmosphere but slow service! Went for dinner and the food was sub par, though the chocolate decor was fun to look at. However, considering the chocolate theme (and from the looks of the menu) would probably be a tasty brunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Food was good, service was eh. Had to wait a while after sitting down for waitress to come, even though the restaurant was empty. Didn't have silverware so when we got our entree we waited another 10 minutes for silverware to come. Food was different and good though.
- Great for Dessert!Table4FiveDined on 9/26/2014We came for dinner and dessert with our children. Unfortunately, dinner was not good. Food was bland. However, dessert was great and we all had a blast eating chocolate fondu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jessicamDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant was warm and humid, must have been due to the strange weather we had this past weekend. Unfortunately there was a mistake with one of the dishes so the two of us ended up eating at completely different times. The 'Max'-ican omelet was delicious and so were the sugar dusted biscuits.Special Features:
- Cute Place, inedible FoodHappyDinerNotAFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I have never written a bad review before, but $87 for food that doesn't live up to Sonic Drive-in & waiting for the food only means I was grateful that the company was great & the decor interesting.Special Features:
- Chocolate martinis!!!AngelDined on 9/13/2014We went to the restaurant mainly for their chocolate martinis!!! The best I ever had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great late night dessert spotBostonFoodieDined on 8/31/2014The food is delicious and the deserts are heavenly. Lively vibrant atmosphere. Interior seating could be a little more comfortable. All things considered definitely worth a visit. The chocolate pudding is to die for:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!MikeVIPDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant was terrific, I took a group of returning college students and my daughter. The food and the service was outstanding. Try any of the sandwiches and definately the deserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chocolate martiniEatDrinkbmerryDined on 8/30/2014Wife enjoys their chocolate martini's. Food is very good but a limited menu. Pretty noisy inside but everyone seems to be enjoying them selfs. Would definitely go back when I'm in the Boston area again. Recommend reservations on busy weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Yum. When we saw the menu, we wished we came here for lunch. We came here for dessert, and all got shakes. A decent amount of choices, although wish the kids options could be for us big kids too. This not about portion size, but the great kids choices. Waiter was wonderful. We will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTEZuckerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were disappointed with the food and with the service. The food was only okay. When we checked in, we were seated in the bar area instead of the main dining area even though the restaurant was not busy. We also needed to submit proof that we dined there, because they did not check us in with our open table reservation. (The visit does not appear on our reservation history and Dining Points have not yet to be credited to our account.) The first time we dined there was 3 years ago and it was fantastic, fun and friendly. Sadly, it hasn't been the same on any visit since.
- chocolate and more..who needs more?miscelenaDined on 8/29/2014Can't comment on the brunch menu - I've only ever been here late night for dessert fondue... and that is amazing !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookieMonsterDined on 8/29/2014Went to Max Brenner's during Dining Out Week. The Italian hot chocolate is really delicious and creamy. I really liked their take on the turkey club which had a rosemary infused waffle as the bread. My server was really nice. The only complaint I have is the wait time for some of the food. The first two courses didn't take long at all but after finishing my sandwich I waited over 20 minutes for the dessert to come out, even though I had ordered it at the same time as my appetizer and entree. I didn't have time to eat it there so they gave me a decorated tin to take as a to go box which was cool. Overall it was a good experience and there are plenty of other things on their menu that I am interested in trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service.ChocolateLoverDined on 8/29/2014The entire experience was mostly positive. The food was delicious, the prices were reasonable, however the waiters were slow. It wasn't that crowded but it took a long time to get our check, as well as refills on drinks. I had the Nutella and strawberry crepe for dessert, which was delicious!
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Everything about my visit was fantastic. Very friendly and energetic staff and the food was fantastic. It was nice and peaceful dinner. Didn't feel rushed at all like you do at other places. Would recommended this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max Brenner ReviewfoodloverDined on 8/26/2014Service is extremely slow, even if you are the only ones in the restaurant. Staff is rude and unprofessional. Seems like they were in business for their first day and did not hire the right staff or know restaurant logistics.Special Features:
- The food creations can be betterLizzDined on 8/24/2014Everything's great about Max Brenner, the chocolate is amazing and people love it. The server was nice and the front desk helped us to get outside seating as requested. I personally feel like the food could've been better, we ordered the Max Brenner burger and the sunday pasta which tasted average. Although with the price, it's reasonable in such a busy area restaurant, better food would boost business.Special Features:
- MMMMMmmmmmmKristinDined on 8/23/2014My friends and I went this weekend to celebrate my birthday. Our waiter Curtis was fantastic! I've been here one other time, and the waiter was also really great. The only complaint, both times, would be the hostess.... surprisingly rude, and really a bummer considering the overall happy vibes you get from just about every other employee! Other than that, the food is amazing, the waitstaff is great and I'll definitely be back and bringing more people through as well.Special Features:
- Yum-oYumODined on 8/23/2014I came here on a Saturday for lunch&it was the perfect ending to a spa morning for my boyfriend&I. The energy was contagious&I couldn't stop staring at the walls. While waiting for our food, we looked at the retail offerings&drank sinfully delicious libations. My boyfriend's White Russian came with a vial of Warm white chocolate&my martini had marshmallows! I would warn to pace yourself because between the rich drinks& food, a stomach ache is a strong possibility. Henry was our server&was helpful in suggestions&pleasant in spirit-he seemed like the type of person I envisioned would work at a place this...spirited. We will come back, we will ask for Henry&maybe this time we will bring our big kid pants&actually be able to handle dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could be sweeterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The food was fine, but the service was not good. I recommended the location based on a previously good experience I had when the restaurant first opened. However, this time, I was sent to a table lacking napkins and silverware and did not receive any until my coffee arrived and I had to ask. My guest ordered off-menu and was served three separate dishes: one with each egg he ordered and another one with bacon. The server should have helped him come up with something to fit his needs and that still embodied the spirit of Max Brenner - maybe bacon dipped in chocolate? To top it off, we weren't checked in correctly, so I had to dispute the no-show notice from OpenTable!Special Features:
- Max Brenner restaurant weekLuckylady622Dined on 8/22/2014I've been a few times before when the food was better but the service is what made this visit great. Blake was our waiter and he was very attentive, knowledgeable and overall fun. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your timedisapointedDined on 8/19/2014Very expensive for OK food. Suggest to try one of the surrounding establishments for a meal, then stop at Max for dessert. I got a mexican salad, it was small, and almost pushed $15. I was very surprised at the lack of creativity of the food. Wife is gluten free, forget it. There are only 2 options……salmon, or a no bread sandwich. Again, pushing $15 for a SMALL piece of chicken on a bed of lettuce and sliced tomato. Service was VERY slow, and it was a Tuesday night. Finally, bathroom was gross, although we let the front service know and it seemed they were going to take care of it right away.
- The food was not as I remembered!MkelleyDined on 8/19/2014I went here during RW on a whim because I noticed the sign in the Pru, with my mouth ready to go I made the reservation and made the five minute walk over. The five menus were a overwhelming and I already knew that I was ordering off the RW menu. I had the wings in which some were raw in the middle, the turkey club on the rosemary waffle which was "BLAH" to say the least, and the bonbons which were so so. I was highly expecting the quality of the food to be the same if not better than when they first opened, I was dissapointed. The cooks seemed not to care about what was coming out of their kitchen. The best thing I had was the lemon granita. I defitinely wasted calories this day! :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty ShakesNHK14Dined on 8/19/2014Came in to Max Brenner to celebrate a birthday. The shakes were very rich and sweet - I had the salted caramel, which was divine. Our group had a salad and a sandwich. We were satisfied with both - although mine came with onions despite asking to have them omitted. We shared the tiramisu which was done creatively in a mason jar and with a lovely pudding like bottom, extra chocolate sauce on the side to pour, and ample lady fingers with cream and chocolate. Service was ok, although our waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last time at Max Brenner's!ABarrDined on 8/18/2014Max Brenner's is a treat for my niece from Wolfeboro, NH. We went on 8/18, a Monday at 1:30 p.m. My niece's friend has a peanut allergy, which she stated before she ordered. About thirty minutes later, the waiter came out to say that all our food was ready, but that the chef had decided to start OVER on the mac & cheese; he was unsure whether the breadcrumbs were peanut-free. With the food being so late, we had to cancel an appointment for later on. My dessert was an extremely hard, stale chocolate cookie. One hour and 45 minutes later, I talked to the hostess about how bad the entire experience was. The check came to around $100. I asked to see the manager. I waited for several minutes. No manager materialized, so I left.
- Great Chocolate PlaceChocolateloverDined on 8/18/2014I love the chocolate desserts. It's a great place to find new ways to have your chocolate. The crepes are amazing and so are the shakes. The food is great too but doesn't compare to the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dessert; Bad ServiceDessertsrlifeDined on 8/16/2014I went there intending to have a simple dinner with an amazing dessert. That is what I got. Very pleased with all the food I had, and of course the dessert was AMAZING. The specialty drinks are also super delicious, and the bartenders are quick, friendly, and are fun to watch when making these yummy concoctions. The service is where it was lost. We waited 15 min for people to come over and fill out water glasses. By that time we were ready to order. I will admit that we were a large party (7 people), but that does not make up for our waiters lack of attention. He was slow, and inattentive. I recommend to go for dessert or drinks. Dinner is yummy, but with the wait for everything I don't recommend the whole experience.Special Features:
- Food was better than the dessertBostonDateNightDined on 8/16/2014I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed my entree way more than dessert. Veggie burger is amazing and the dipping sauce with fries was the best. However chocolate sundae split with my boo was expensive and so so. The strangest part was the chocolate sauce and chips tasted funny, like chemical or soap funny. A little bit of a let down for a place all about a new chocolate culture. Butane we just got the wrong thing. I was excited to tey this place and while I'm glad I did, not sure I'll be rushing back. Though I do wish I'd tried the hot chocolate, that seems like the right thing to get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Unique menu but very loud, be prepared to shout across table. Tables also are a tight fitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So FunchocolateerDined on 8/14/2014I went here with my friends for a fun night out in the city and we had such a great time! The food was amazing and the desserts were to die for. We all loved it!Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch!!!RisaGDined on 8/14/2014Great service, excellent food - and when my teenage daughter and her friends realized they were too full (from lunch food and milkshakes) to order dessert, the server brought over a platter of candies and sliced strawberries with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate for the girls to enjoy. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dessert placechrispyhugDined on 8/11/2014This place is much better than Finale which is really the only other "dessert" restaurant around. The dessert ideas and presentations are amazing. Can't wait for the winter to try out the hot chocolate! Highly recommend the shakes as well.Special Features: