Max Brenner - Boston
745 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 617-274-1741x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 10:00am - 11:00pm
Fri - 10:00am - 1:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 1:00am (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
- Cross Street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
- Public Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter street parking and garage parking at the Prudential Center across the street are available.
A word from Max Brenner - Boston
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Max Brenner - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)good for groups (59)kid-friendly (58)fit for foodies (55)great for brunch (52)great for lunch (48)romantic (43)hot spot (42)neighborhood gem (29)late-night find (28)great for outdoor dining (27)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great chocolate martiniOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Wife enjoys their chocolate martini's. Food is very good but a limited menu. Pretty noisy inside but everyone seems to be enjoying them selfs. Would definitely go back when I'm in the Boston area again. Recommend reservations on busy weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chocolate and more..who needs more?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Can't comment on the brunch menu - I've only ever been here late night for dessert fondue... and that is amazing !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Everything about my visit was fantastic. Very friendly and energetic staff and the food was fantastic. It was nice and peaceful dinner. Didn't feel rushed at all like you do at other places. Would recommended this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max Brenner ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Service is extremely slow, even if you are the only ones in the restaurant. Staff is rude and unprofessional. Seems like they were in business for their first day and did not hire the right staff or know restaurant logistics.Special Features:
- The food creations can be betterLizzDined on 8/24/2014Everything's great about Max Brenner, the chocolate is amazing and people love it. The server was nice and the front desk helped us to get outside seating as requested. I personally feel like the food could've been better, we ordered the Max Brenner burger and the sunday pasta which tasted average. Although with the price, it's reasonable in such a busy area restaurant, better food would boost business.Special Features:
- MMMMMmmmmmmKristinDined on 8/23/2014My friends and I went this weekend to celebrate my birthday. Our waiter Curtis was fantastic! I've been here one other time, and the waiter was also really great. The only complaint, both times, would be the hostess.... surprisingly rude, and really a bummer considering the overall happy vibes you get from just about every other employee! Other than that, the food is amazing, the waitstaff is great and I'll definitely be back and bringing more people through as well.Special Features:
- Yum-oYumODined on 8/23/2014I came here on a Saturday for lunch&it was the perfect ending to a spa morning for my boyfriend&I. The energy was contagious&I couldn't stop staring at the walls. While waiting for our food, we looked at the retail offerings&drank sinfully delicious libations. My boyfriend's White Russian came with a vial of Warm white chocolate&my martini had marshmallows! I would warn to pace yourself because between the rich drinks& food, a stomach ache is a strong possibility. Henry was our server&was helpful in suggestions&pleasant in spirit-he seemed like the type of person I envisioned would work at a place this...spirited. We will come back, we will ask for Henry&maybe this time we will bring our big kid pants&actually be able to handle dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could be sweeterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The food was fine, but the service was not good. I recommended the location based on a previously good experience I had when the restaurant first opened. However, this time, I was sent to a table lacking napkins and silverware and did not receive any until my coffee arrived and I had to ask. My guest ordered off-menu and was served three separate dishes: one with each egg he ordered and another one with bacon. The server should have helped him come up with something to fit his needs and that still embodied the spirit of Max Brenner - maybe bacon dipped in chocolate? To top it off, we weren't checked in correctly, so I had to dispute the no-show notice from OpenTable!Special Features:
- Max Brenner restaurant weekLuckylady622Dined on 8/22/2014I've been a few times before when the food was better but the service is what made this visit great. Blake was our waiter and he was very attentive, knowledgeable and overall fun. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your timedisapointedDined on 8/19/2014Very expensive for OK food. Suggest to try one of the surrounding establishments for a meal, then stop at Max for dessert. I got a mexican salad, it was small, and almost pushed $15. I was very surprised at the lack of creativity of the food. Wife is gluten free, forget it. There are only 2 options……salmon, or a no bread sandwich. Again, pushing $15 for a SMALL piece of chicken on a bed of lettuce and sliced tomato. Service was VERY slow, and it was a Tuesday night. Finally, bathroom was gross, although we let the front service know and it seemed they were going to take care of it right away.
- The food was not as I remembered!MkelleyDined on 8/19/2014I went here during RW on a whim because I noticed the sign in the Pru, with my mouth ready to go I made the reservation and made the five minute walk over. The five menus were a overwhelming and I already knew that I was ordering off the RW menu. I had the wings in which some were raw in the middle, the turkey club on the rosemary waffle which was "BLAH" to say the least, and the bonbons which were so so. I was highly expecting the quality of the food to be the same if not better than when they first opened, I was dissapointed. The cooks seemed not to care about what was coming out of their kitchen. The best thing I had was the lemon granita. I defitinely wasted calories this day! :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty ShakesNHK14Dined on 8/19/2014Came in to Max Brenner to celebrate a birthday. The shakes were very rich and sweet - I had the salted caramel, which was divine. Our group had a salad and a sandwich. We were satisfied with both - although mine came with onions despite asking to have them omitted. We shared the tiramisu which was done creatively in a mason jar and with a lovely pudding like bottom, extra chocolate sauce on the side to pour, and ample lady fingers with cream and chocolate. Service was ok, although our waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last time at Max Brenner's!ABarrDined on 8/18/2014Max Brenner's is a treat for my niece from Wolfeboro, NH. We went on 8/18, a Monday at 1:30 p.m. My niece's friend has a peanut allergy, which she stated before she ordered. About thirty minutes later, the waiter came out to say that all our food was ready, but that the chef had decided to start OVER on the mac & cheese; he was unsure whether the breadcrumbs were peanut-free. With the food being so late, we had to cancel an appointment for later on. My dessert was an extremely hard, stale chocolate cookie. One hour and 45 minutes later, I talked to the hostess about how bad the entire experience was. The check came to around $100. I asked to see the manager. I waited for several minutes. No manager materialized, so I left.
- Great Chocolate PlaceChocolateloverDined on 8/18/2014I love the chocolate desserts. It's a great place to find new ways to have your chocolate. The crepes are amazing and so are the shakes. The food is great too but doesn't compare to the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dessert; Bad ServiceDessertsrlifeDined on 8/16/2014I went there intending to have a simple dinner with an amazing dessert. That is what I got. Very pleased with all the food I had, and of course the dessert was AMAZING. The specialty drinks are also super delicious, and the bartenders are quick, friendly, and are fun to watch when making these yummy concoctions. The service is where it was lost. We waited 15 min for people to come over and fill out water glasses. By that time we were ready to order. I will admit that we were a large party (7 people), but that does not make up for our waiters lack of attention. He was slow, and inattentive. I recommend to go for dessert or drinks. Dinner is yummy, but with the wait for everything I don't recommend the whole experience.Special Features:
- Food was better than the dessertBostonDateNightDined on 8/16/2014I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed my entree way more than dessert. Veggie burger is amazing and the dipping sauce with fries was the best. However chocolate sundae split with my boo was expensive and so so. The strangest part was the chocolate sauce and chips tasted funny, like chemical or soap funny. A little bit of a let down for a place all about a new chocolate culture. Butane we just got the wrong thing. I was excited to tey this place and while I'm glad I did, not sure I'll be rushing back. Though I do wish I'd tried the hot chocolate, that seems like the right thing to get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Unique menu but very loud, be prepared to shout across table. Tables also are a tight fitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So FunchocolateerDined on 8/14/2014I went here with my friends for a fun night out in the city and we had such a great time! The food was amazing and the desserts were to die for. We all loved it!Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch!!!RisaGDined on 8/14/2014Great service, excellent food - and when my teenage daughter and her friends realized they were too full (from lunch food and milkshakes) to order dessert, the server brought over a platter of candies and sliced strawberries with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate for the girls to enjoy. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dessert placechrispyhugDined on 8/11/2014This place is much better than Finale which is really the only other "dessert" restaurant around. The dessert ideas and presentations are amazing. Can't wait for the winter to try out the hot chocolate! Highly recommend the shakes as well.Special Features:
- Love itArielleVIPDined on 8/10/2014I love this place! The ambiance and food are equally fabulous.Special Features:
- Chocolate fondueiabostonDined on 8/9/2014Came here for desert only. Very nice quality chocolate and I'm picky. The European Chocolate fondue was decadent. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- fun place to goDeeADined on 8/9/2014FUN FUN FUN place to visit at least once. Be prepared to be stuffed and in a chocolate coma!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Max Brenners is much too expensive for the quality of food, particularly appetizers and deserts.
- Visit not recordedCobaltDined on 8/6/2014We used open table to reserve our seat, when we got to the resturant we had no wait and went straight to our seat. I received an emial the next day questioning why I had not honored my reservation, when I clearly had. The open table idea is great although off putting when the thought of accusational emial accompanying the end of every night due to no fault of your own.Special Features:
- Mixed bagLivinchaosDined on 8/3/2014We came here for Sunday brunch for my daughter's 13th birthday. I don't know if they were understaffed or what. Service was extremely slow. I couldn't get coffee because it had been running cold today. What? Two of my three kids were not happy with their food. Their waffles were hard and not good tasting. My dessert came after my kids had already finished theirs. Very disjointed overall and not sure if I would return again.Special Features:
- Thumbs upCharlieDined on 8/1/2014Good food, not overly priced, friendly service..........Special Features:
- slow servicejuicyqueenDined on 7/28/2014Service was too slow. Did not come aroubd enough especially to clear off dirty plates. Should notify first time customers desserts are large especially when duplicates are ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy foodchocolateheavenDined on 7/26/2014Good service, food is delicious, and the dessert menu is to die for. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatArielleVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food is awesome and the desserts are heavenly!Special Features:
- Awesome!JHongDined on 7/24/2014Awesome place for those who are looking for good food and delicious desserts. It is the perfect place to hang out with friends and family.Special Features:
- YUMEmilyDined on 7/22/2014Such a fun time here! And the milkshakes are heaven on earth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of Training and ManagementarddDined on 7/22/2014The hostess took at least 4 minutes to stare at her seating screen--the restaurant was practically empty. Once we were seated at an awkwardly placed table we asked to be moved, which seemed to confuse the hostess even more, so we just settled for the first table. Our server was not knowledgeable of the menu at all and could not answer simple questions. Later on in the meal, there was an employee clearing tables and was slamming dishes into the clearing bin, even breaking a few items, multiple times. Another server had brought over our nachos and spilled half the chips off the plate and on to the table, but did not bother to apologize or clean up the mess. The experience was chaotic and baffling.
- Great chocolate, slow serviceKBMcDined on 7/20/2014It took us two hours to eat because of the slow service. The waiter seemed overwhelmed. However the food was good and the chocolate desserts (the fondue, in particular) were awesome. It's a neat place to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for tourists and 20 y.o. but...OrangeDined on 7/19/2014I have been a number of times since I have teens so our visits are mainly for them. The menu recently changed and improved so it is not just a chocolate stop. Usually a tourist and 20 y.o. crowd so I won't say this place is particularly kid-friendly; it really depends on the server. We had an excellent one for once (Vitali?) which made this a pleasant time. The one consistent complaint over the years is the hosting staff. Train them better. Even with reservations, they just don't get the table right (first seated us at a dirty table) and often they make you feel as if they could care less. Fortunately, the ill-treated start was soothed by the good chocolate finale so we will forget and return.Special Features:
- small portions, poor servicemomx4Dined on 7/19/2014Food was good, pizzas was good and size acceptable. Chocolate desserts were small, amount of melted chocolate for fondues and ice cream pops was ridiculously small esp for the price!! Poor service, had to ask for utensils, plates and napkins!! Stack of menus left on our table the entire meal, even after I asked she take them! Waitress added an extra dessert on our bill that we didn't order! Thinking this is a tourist spot that does not rely on return business.Special Features:
- GREAT comfort food!ASCCARLDined on 7/18/2014We love Max Brenners for comfort food! The chocolate Ambiance is wonderful! We loved the food and desserts and can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Good choice only down side...Very loud, need to shout to talk.Special Features:
- Not worth the hypeBahstonDinerDined on 7/10/2014Service was absolutely terrible and the mediocre food didn't make up for that in any way. Dessert was kitschy in presentation, but definitely didn't live up to the hype.
- deliciously richEkerDined on 7/7/2014Be prepared to indulge. All the food is very rich, and every plate is beautifully presented. I ordered the margharita panini which was overflowing with mozzarella. It's good to come on an empty stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.