Max a Mia
70 East Main St.
Avon, CT 06001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Max a Mia
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxamiaristorante.com/
- Phone: (860) 677-6299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday Brunch 11:00AM - 3:00PM Sunday Dinner: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Stickney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can accommodate large party and take out.
A word from Max a Mia
In 1991, Richard Rosenthal along with partner Brad Karsky opened Max a Mia in Avon, CT. Their vision was a restaurant that would allow diners to enjoy a "casual Italian bistro." That vision was an instant success. In the first year of operation, Max a Mia won "Best New Restaurant" from Connecticut Magazine. It also earned recognition for "top grossing restaurant in it's size" from Restaurant Hospitality. The brick oven, which is visible from the dining room, serves up stone pies "with a thin, wood-smoky-flavor crust and an array of toppings." While all the pasta dishes are outstanding, the daily risotto specials have been described as "luscious." Equally important, desserts such as traditional tiramisu or the unique white chocolate polenta cake complete the meal. Like it's sister restaurants, Max a Mia is focused on providing each guest with a truly enjoyable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max a Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (44)special occasion (33)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (32)great for lunch (29)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (15)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerFishloverDined on 11/22/2014At first when we arrived the receptionist did not seat us though a booth was obviously available. I had requested a booth seating through Open Table. She may have heard me mutter that I didn't understand why our party wasn't being seated since she then offered us another booth. Yes thanks, I replied because I had requested a booth. That said the food is exquisite and both of our party's specials of the day were superb. Our waitress of an across the pond accent was excellent in timing and very helpful. Yes, I would easily return to Max AMia again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!Iate2muchDined on 11/12/2014First time at this Max group restaurant. The trout was done to perfection, the pasta dish was also well done. Service was terrific. One small comment: didn't like the "top 40" radio station/play list that was on in the restaurant....but that would not keep me from going there again for the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2014I have dined here several times over several years and I find it to always be the same. I ordered the house salad, it was strewn with a bitter tasting lettuce, deseeded cucumbers, and some cabbage. No color, no flavor. I ordered the half-chicken, it too was tasteless, mildly dry, and served atop a pile of mashed potatoes. The side was cooked Brussels sprouts and green apple, the only part of the dish that had any flavor at all. I'm not sure what the allure of this restaurant is but I've yet to find it.
- GracieDined on 11/10/2014I can't put into words on line what I want to expresdSpecial Features:
- I don't think soOnADateDined on 11/5/2014The food, mahi mahi, was way too salty. The vegetables with it were way undercooked in one case and murdered in the other and served in tiny portions. The dessert was offered with a raspberry liqueur but served with schnapps. When I asked for the framboise, they insisted that the schnapps WAS framboise. And the waitress called herself a flamingo, or perhaps, she said, a peacock. And it took three tries to get the right drinks.
- Nice place, not a great tablew1tjlDined on 11/5/2014We came to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our waitress was wonderful and the food, although it took quite a while was quite good. The dessert was amazing! Coconut layer cake - Wow!Special Features:
- new menuagataDined on 10/30/2014We came on the first night of the underwhelming new menu. The pasta options were nothing special and only a few had meat in them. The duck risotto however, was AMAZING! Ordered a stone pie which was just ok. Their cheesecake is to die for and their desserts are all homemade. Service was great, we did not want or need for anything. Food came out fast despite it being a packed house.Special Features:
- Best Special Ever!cvwfitzVIPDined on 10/22/2014I frequently dine at Max a Mia, but my lunch special - rigatoni with spinach, sausage and herbs was one of the best dishes I've had there in the last 20 years!
- DependableeosccVIPDined on 10/14/2014Maxamia is always dependable for good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oops ... not a great nightcaelplVIPDined on 10/12/2014I'll start with dessert first, because Max-A-Mia always knocks it out of the park with their Bocce Ball and Tiramisu (10 out of 10). But, the Port t-bone special was overcooked/dry (was told it was cacciatore style, but it looked like cassoulet since it was made with beans). The salmon entree was good, but the side of quinoa/brussels sprouts side was over-seasoned/salty (and all I noticed were a few brussels sprouts leaves, no actual pieces of the vegetable). :-(Special Features:
- Miss the way it used to be...MAMTNGIRLDined on 10/9/2014We've been to Max a Mia twice in the last few months...seems different than it used to be in past years. I used to consider it a fine dining experience with a visible manager...now it is LOUD, very casual and impersonal. We had good pizza and decent salads on our way home from the airport but the service is merely adequate and now I feel like that is all it is...an okay place to stop for dinner on the way home from the airport...Special Features:
- Fresh, tasty italiansimmsyDined on 10/3/2014Always a good, solid meal. Fresh ingredients, unique dishes. On the pricey side.Special Features:
- After 20 years still our favoritetslsDined on 10/2/2014I have never been to any other Restaurant that has the consistent high quality food and service as Max-a-Mia. I had Tuna that was perfectly cooked medium rare and well worth the cost of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max a MiaPattedDined on 9/27/2014Very good and reliable food. Also has a great gluten free menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- musicRobbyDined on 9/27/2014The music was too loud and hard rock ish.. Poor choice and distracting to speak over especially when enjoying a evening Italian dinner with wine and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantMamaOf2Dined on 9/26/2014This is my husband and I's go to place with or without our little kids. Very kid friendly and yet also great for date night which is not very common in a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always An "A"PerlDined on 9/24/2014Despite having been here a dozen times, I am always impressed by everything about Max-a-Mia. The food, the energy and especially the service continues to be better and better each time I go. I am already looking forward to gout again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Gotta WaitWaitingGuyDined on 9/21/2014We showed up about 10 mins early for our 7:00 pm reservation, in the main dining room there were 2 four tops, one table for two, and a table for two that was a divided booth. We were told we would have to wait till 7:00 before we would be seated, I was told that they were holding tables for earlier reservations that MAY show up! I am told I will have too wait in the entry area (as there was no room at the bar) until they are sure that the people who did not honor their reservations are not coming. I think the Hostess needs training. We were there for Taste of the Suburbs and were looking forward to the blueberry pie, one of only 2 desserts they were offering, but were told they were out. Lastly the wine list is limited and overpriced.Special Features:
- Great and festive gathering placeMellieDined on 9/20/2014We are a group of friends who enjoy dining out together as well as cooking great meals for each other. Our recent evening at Maxamia was really comfortable and the service was warm and savvy and hospitable. The food was memorable. The sirloin was tender and delicious and the sea scallops were fresh and excellent. The pie tasted a little commercial but was okay. All in all, we had a fabulous evening!Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 9/18/2014Food was very good, prices reasonable and the service was exceptional.Special Features:
- "Taste" menus ... just so-socaelplVIPDined on 9/17/2014Unfortunately, both meals we had from 2 different "Taste" menus were just so-so. While the appetizers were good, our entree choices were very disappointing (the sirloin was chewy; the scallops a bit bland). Dessert-wise, the blueberry pie looked/tasted store-bought, and the peach tiramisu served in a martini glass was just awful (a overly sweet peach concoction, under soupy cream, with 2 lady finger cookies poking out of the top). Mama mia ...
- A good neighborhood restaurantfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/15/2014We go to Max a Mia at least once a week. The food is the type that appeals to many people. However, there's nothing as forward thinking or exciting as it was when it first opened. Will continue to go but would love to see some sparkling new dishes come out of the kitchen in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Taste of the SuburbsAlanDined on 9/13/2014Delicious! Food was prepared well, used interesting ingredients, and presented beautifully on the plate. Good portion sizes and quality of food was perfect. Perfect spot for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Great food and servicelmr910Dined on 9/12/2014The food and service are perfect here every time as with all of the Max restaurants. Love the ambiance at Max a Mia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodSusieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was great here. Very impressed with quality. Definitely would come back.Special Features:
- Taste of Suburbs ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014A wonderful experience with the Taste of the Suburbs. The price fixed menu was outstanding, squash blossoms, scallops, and blue berry desert. Always outstanding service and wonderful wine list. Our go to place.Special Features:
- CantonboyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for the Lobster Specials and they were great! My wife who orders Lobster Bisque all the time said it was the best she ever had. My Lobster over Basil-Lime Fettucini was fantastic. None of this surprises me. Max is my favorite local restaurant and I always have a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent!RocketVIPDined on 8/21/2014We've lived and dined in Avon for 15 years - and have often gone to Max a Mia, usually quite pleased. Sometimes there have been a few glitches, but w a new chef and manager (Dante), we were blown away with the service, the food, and attention to detail. All that, turned a mid-week family bite, to a memorable and especially delicious meal! - thank you Dante - for going over and above!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good after all these yearsMarleyDined on 8/16/2014We were frequent patrons of Max a Mia when we lived in Connecticut 22 years ago and while visiting friends decided to stop in. The restaurant has expanded considerably since we were last there and now includes outdoor dining. The service and manager were attentive and the food was as good as we remembered. The wait for our food was much longer than anticipated (20 minutes for a salad, 60 minutes for an entrée) but we assume it was just an off night. Definitely worth going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max A MiaRenyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Max Group have the magic touch. Every Restaurant that has "Max" as a start in the Hartford area is very good and you can not go wrong at any one of them! Max A Mia is no exception. The food is very tasty, the service is very good, the ambience is very good. This is a casual dining experience.... not as in "fast food" casual; more in line with "business casual". All of their different types of dishes are very good in their category. I have a "fish" preference and their fish entrees are very good... any of them. My husband is a "pasta guy" and he really likes their pasta dishes. The Stone Pies are really good if you are a "pizza" type.... So, if you haven't been there, give them a try!Special Features:
- Entertaining clients at Max'sBrooksie24VIPDined on 8/12/2014Max a Mia is our go-to place for out of town business clients and guests. We can count on prompt, friendly service and sumptuous clean-your-plate entreés. Our guests are always impressed. Thank you for another job well done!Special Features:
- Pretty goodVodoDined on 8/6/2014Food was good, good service -- would have rated it higher --if it weren't for the bugs on our food and constantly swatting flies and Mosquitos.Special Features:
- family dinnercssamuelDined on 8/4/2014Wonderful food, attentive server, lovely covered patio. Great dinner!Special Features:
- Foodie2Dined on 8/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner.. As well as great service Thank you!!Special Features:
- Very amenablePDXloverDined on 8/1/2014Went with specific dietary needs (vegan, gluten and soy-free) and they not only could answer questions clearly but made apropriate modifications. Only challenge is that it is often very loud in the dining areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CantonboyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We're here all the time and Max's never fails. this time was for a quick and light dinner. After drinks I ordered the mussels and they were great. In a flavorful tomato broth with grilled bread it was the best. My wife had clam/corn chowder and a Caesar salad which she really enjoyed. We both shared a pizza and our dinner was complete. We will continue to return on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 599 reviews are from the Max a Mia reviews archive.
- Italian Gem in AvonWilburDined on 7/28/2014Visiting family in Avon, went to restaurant because of gluten-free menu (we have multiple food allergies). Restaurant not only accommodated easily, but with outstanding food and attentive service. They even had gluten-free breadsticks! Seafood was fresh and well-prepared; gluten-free pasta was cooked perfectly. Kids and adults were very pleased and satisfied with the meal and the experience. Will definitely return when next visiting the area!
- Can always count on excellence!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I am never disappointed ..anytime I visit . I have moved to another state and when I return, Max A Mia is on my "must visit" list!Special Features:
- yum68Dined on 7/18/2014Max a Mia never disappoints. Awesome, fresh food -- always top notch. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service! No Rush!ceejDined on 7/16/2014I love a restaurant that allows you to enjoy your company and meal. We weren't rushed but we're well attended to. It's a delicate balance, but our server nailed. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.