Max a Mia
70 East Main St.
Avon, CT 06001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Max a Mia
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxamiaristorante.com/
- Phone: 8606776299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday Brunch 11:00AM - 3:00PM Sunday Dinner: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Stickney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can accommodate large party and take out.
A word from Max a Mia
In 1991, Richard Rosenthal along with partner Brad Karsky opened Max a Mia in Avon, CT. Their vision was a restaurant that would allow diners to enjoy a "casual Italian bistro." That vision was an instant success. In the first year of operation, Max a Mia won "Best New Restaurant" from Connecticut Magazine. It also earned recognition for "top grossing restaurant in it's size" from Restaurant Hospitality. The brick oven, which is visible from the dining room, serves up stone pies "with a thin, wood-smoky-flavor crust and an array of toppings." While all the pasta dishes are outstanding, the daily risotto specials have been described as "luscious." Equally important, desserts such as traditional tiramisu or the unique white chocolate polenta cake complete the meal. Like it's sister restaurants, Max a Mia is focused on providing each guest with a truly enjoyable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max a Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (48)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (41)great for lunch (38)good for groups (27)great for brunch (21)hot spot (18)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (10)late-night find (6)Show More
- Excellent!RocketVIPDined on 8/21/2014We've lived and dined in Avon for 15 years - and have often gone to Max a Mia, usually quite pleased. Sometimes there have been a few glitches, but w a new chef and manager (Dante), we were blown away with the service, the food, and attention to detail. All that, turned a mid-week family bite, to a memorable and especially delicious meal! - thank you Dante - for going over and above!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good after all these yearsMarleyDined on 8/16/2014We were frequent patrons of Max a Mia when we lived in Connecticut 22 years ago and while visiting friends decided to stop in. The restaurant has expanded considerably since we were last there and now includes outdoor dining. The service and manager were attentive and the food was as good as we remembered. The wait for our food was much longer than anticipated (20 minutes for a salad, 60 minutes for an entrée) but we assume it was just an off night. Definitely worth going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max A MiaRenyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Max Group have the magic touch. Every Restaurant that has "Max" as a start in the Hartford area is very good and you can not go wrong at any one of them! Max A Mia is no exception. The food is very tasty, the service is very good, the ambience is very good. This is a casual dining experience.... not as in "fast food" casual; more in line with "business casual". All of their different types of dishes are very good in their category. I have a "fish" preference and their fish entrees are very good... any of them. My husband is a "pasta guy" and he really likes their pasta dishes. The Stone Pies are really good if you are a "pizza" type.... So, if you haven't been there, give them a try!Special Features:
- Entertaining clients at Max'sBrooksie24VIPDined on 8/12/2014Max a Mia is our go-to place for out of town business clients and guests. We can count on prompt, friendly service and sumptuous clean-your-plate entreés. Our guests are always impressed. Thank you for another job well done!Special Features:
- Pretty goodVodoDined on 8/6/2014Food was good, good service -- would have rated it higher --if it weren't for the bugs on our food and constantly swatting flies and Mosquitos.Special Features:
- family dinnercssamuelDined on 8/4/2014Wonderful food, attentive server, lovely covered patio. Great dinner!Special Features:
- Foodie2Dined on 8/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner.. As well as great service Thank you!!Special Features:
- Very amenablePDXloverDined on 8/1/2014Went with specific dietary needs (vegan, gluten and soy-free) and they not only could answer questions clearly but made apropriate modifications. Only challenge is that it is often very loud in the dining areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CantonboyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We're here all the time and Max's never fails. this time was for a quick and light dinner. After drinks I ordered the mussels and they were great. In a flavorful tomato broth with grilled bread it was the best. My wife had clam/corn chowder and a Caesar salad which she really enjoyed. We both shared a pizza and our dinner was complete. We will continue to return on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Gem in AvonWilburDined on 7/28/2014Visiting family in Avon, went to restaurant because of gluten-free menu (we have multiple food allergies). Restaurant not only accommodated easily, but with outstanding food and attentive service. They even had gluten-free breadsticks! Seafood was fresh and well-prepared; gluten-free pasta was cooked perfectly. Kids and adults were very pleased and satisfied with the meal and the experience. Will definitely return when next visiting the area!
- Can always count on excellence!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I am never disappointed ..anytime I visit . I have moved to another state and when I return, Max A Mia is on my "must visit" list!Special Features:
- yum68Dined on 7/18/2014Max a Mia never disappoints. Awesome, fresh food -- always top notch. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service! No Rush!ceejDined on 7/16/2014I love a restaurant that allows you to enjoy your company and meal. We weren't rushed but we're well attended to. It's a delicate balance, but our server nailed. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always consistantAkitaedDined on 7/12/2014been going to Maxima for years and have never been disappointed. Our dinner was perfect from the appetizer to the espresso.Still serving the best vodka martini in the state. Appetizer was great, the hanger steak perfectly rare. Service, as always was spot on.Special Features:
- Remains a favorite, time and againBrooksie24VIPDined on 7/11/2014When we dined this past Saturday evening, we were happy to hear that yellow fin tuna was a daily special. If you love fresh tuna, you know the importance of "FRESH." Max a Mia never fails to impress with their tuna. Saturday's special was served with a seasoned angel hair pasta on top of a bed of arugula. DELICIOUS! From the pre-dinner sparking Rosé, through entreé and dessert - the meal was thoroughly memorable and most satisfying!Special Features:
- Excellent ServicefoodloverDined on 7/11/2014The staff is very professional and friendly. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Max at Max a MiaRenyVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had not been at Max a Mia for a long time. It was WONDERFUL! The food was VERY Tasty, the service was very friendly, the atmosphere was very comfortable. All in all, it was a great experience. My scallops were FABULOUS, my husband's pasta was wonderful. We will return there soon. I loved their signature roasted garlic for the bread, it was very yummy and so sweet, The food preparation and choices were up to date and the red quinoa was prepared deliciously. I am always happy to have gluten free choices and Max a Mia has them! If you haven't been to Max a Mia yet OR in a long time, I urge you to go.Special Features:
- Too noisykorinefDined on 7/10/2014Max a Mia is very noisy. We sat opposite each other at a very small table, but we had to shout to be heard. The service was less than we have come to expect at a Max restaurant. Before we finished our salads, the main courses were brought to us. We got an apology from the server, but we still had all these big plates on our small table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lobster specials!SimsburyMicheleDined on 7/5/2014We were prompted to go by an email blast about lobster specials, and our group was not disappointed. Our group ordered the surf & turf, chicken park, and lobster fra diavolo and everyone was very satisfied. The lobster specials were prix fixe, accompanied by an app or salad and dessert. Everything was delicious! We sat in the bar area (and were able to catch the end of a World Cup game). Nice ambience, not too loud. Service was good - attentive, but not overly so. Pleased with the wine/beer/cocktail selection. A great Saturday evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful from start to finishCindyDined on 7/4/2014My husband and I had a rare kidless night and went on July 4th for dinner. From the hostess to the chef, it was a delightful experience. It was obvious the restaurant was not expecting the rush because the surf and turf special was sold out right after we arrived, but at not time did any of the staff look stressed or overwhelmed. They handled every guest politely & as if they were the only ones in the restaurant. The kitchen is out in the open, yet you never heard anythign but professional conversations and the chef on the dessert and salad station (the one we were closest to) had his section mastered and treated all the wait staff so professional and efficietn it was a pleasure to watch. The food was lovely and dessert was heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Wait staff was amazing! We had a water spill and someone was immediately at our table to help. Also, two diners did not care for the dessert they ordered and our waitress took it off the bill - no questions asked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great choiceMsCasualTravelorDined on 6/27/2014We've been coming here over the years to celebrate special occasions, and this time did not disappoint. Starting with the roasted garlic clove to the meals themselves, we are always glad to have a reason to come here.Special Features:
- Fabulous Pasta DishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The Spaghetti Vongole is wonderful! We also enjoyed the Shrimp Pasta Special that was featured the evening we dined. The shrimp was very fresh. The salads are ample enough for 2 people to share, and the Tuscan Salad is excellent. The service was great and it was nice to dine outside on a perfect summer evening. It was quite busy, even for a Wednesday night, so reservations are a good idea. We will be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Max Restaurant in My NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014All the Max restaurants have great reputations, but Max a Mia is the most affordable of them all. And the food is terrific, traditional and not-so-traditional Italian dinners, great breads and dips, and farm-to-table salads. The service is always splendid, too. It's not the quietest restaurant around, but that's part of the fun, too. When you're in the mood for an enjoyable dinner out, with the emphasis on taste and variety, Max a Mia's a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's DayCtboy1whDined on 6/15/2014We had a good Father's Day lunch I got the sea scallops and the kids ordered off kids menu and we also got the salad Everything was timely and what you come to expect at a maxsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/12/2014We sat a table by the bar and the noise level was too loud between the TV and music and patrons.
- Consistently the BesttslsDined on 6/12/2014Max-a-Mia is consistent with great food, great service and great atmosphere. Been going there for years and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- From a regular. Not up to snuff.Brooksie24VIPDined on 6/7/2014Dined 2X at Max's last week. My daughter & I had excellent meals Monday. But my boyfriend & I had an unpleasant experience Saturday. Our waiter was a bit rude when he suggested that another Chianti (for "only a couple of bucks more") was a better choice than the one we picked. The "couple of bucks" was $12 more. We declined his suggestion. That set the tone for the evening. He had the Bolognese- fair. I had duck there last month. It was the best! Was eager to relive the experience. Ordered medium rare, as always. It arrived "rare" with the fat not crispy, as before (and done right!) I did not send it back, but ate half of it. I explained to waiter it was not the same as last time. He rebutted saying the Chef's didn't make those mistakes.Special Features:
- DinnerHarwintonFamily1Dined on 5/23/2014I would recommend this resturant to family & friends. I do like the Gluten Free menu & my husband liked the wine list. Our waitress was excellent & we were seated within minutes of our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful night for outdoor eatingGFinWeHADined on 5/17/2014We have always had a great experience at Max-a-mia. This time we ate outside on a a nice night. The for was good but as a GF client, I usually love their special bread, it was very disappointing. Otherwise a top notch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageRobinDined on 5/15/2014Food was good....not great. Have eaten there many times over many years but haven't been there in over a year. Was disappointed a bit. Like I said for the price the food is good but just not awesome. Our server was very nice but when we asked questions about the menu she couldn't give us a definite answer.Special Features:
- Count on Max's for great diningBrooksie24VIPDined on 5/13/2014My significant other had an out of state employee visiting. We took him to Max' for dinner. They both had the special Yellow Fin Tuna. I had the duck dish on the menu. They said their tuna was the best they ever ate. Fresh and perfectly prepared. The duck was to-die-for. They both had the coconut cake for dessert and almost licked their plates clean. The chef's at Max's know their stuff! If you want a quality meal, reasonably priced, with great service, this is THE place.Special Features:
- Max-a-Mia messDinehoundDined on 5/13/2014Place was packed but with this chain's rep they should have handled it better-wait staff seemed distracted- food took way too long- seemed rushed when we finally were served- there was a large party in the main dining room- noise was unbelievably loud and chaotic. Not the max-a-Mia it used to be. And frankly, the atmosphere was snotty
- excellent night3guysandadadDined on 5/12/2014We went there for dinner - 87 year old dad and 3 sons our for a "pre-wedding" dinner - Reservations were made easily and flawlessly on line, table was ready and waiting. Food was phenomenal and the price was less than i thought it might be. A win-win for all.Special Features:
- Busy Mother's DayFoodInCTDined on 5/11/2014Overall, as is usual, Max a Mia was a fine experience. Food is always top notch and the staff inviting and friendly. It was a bit overcrowded given the Mother's Day holiday so it made for a hectic experience...given the crowd, wait times in between courses was also greatly increased from the norm. Despite that, another excellent meal overall... Still, can't go wrong with Roasted Garlic and homemade pasta...Special Features:
- After all these yearsGengrasDined on 5/11/2014Max-a-Mia continues to shine as a great place to go after having been in avon for so many years. Their menu is still interesting and creative and the service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Good But...ilmorDined on 5/10/2014The hangar steak was tough as nails! Our server was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/6/2014a solid dining experience in the Farmington Valley. Really enjoyed my eggplant lasagna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 570 reviews are from the Max a Mia reviews archive.
- Best in townLAXTOBDLDined on 5/3/2014Max always delivers, great food and service. You know that you will always have a great meal. Very creative menu and specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night!ElizabethDined on 5/2/2014We haven't eaten here is a few years. Good to see that it is still a great place to eat. Our waitress was great as was the food.Special Features: