Max a Mia
70 East Main St.
Avon, CT 06001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Max a Mia
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxamiaristorante.com/
- Phone: 8606776299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday Brunch 11:00AM - 3:00PM Sunday Dinner: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Stickney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can accommodate large party and take out.
A word from Max a Mia
In 1991, Richard Rosenthal along with partner Brad Karsky opened Max a Mia in Avon, CT. Their vision was a restaurant that would allow diners to enjoy a "casual Italian bistro." That vision was an instant success. In the first year of operation, Max a Mia won "Best New Restaurant" from Connecticut Magazine. It also earned recognition for "top grossing restaurant in it's size" from Restaurant Hospitality. The brick oven, which is visible from the dining room, serves up stone pies "with a thin, wood-smoky-flavor crust and an array of toppings." While all the pasta dishes are outstanding, the daily risotto specials have been described as "luscious." Equally important, desserts such as traditional tiramisu or the unique white chocolate polenta cake complete the meal. Like it's sister restaurants, Max a Mia is focused on providing each guest with a truly enjoyable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max a Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (52)great for outdoor dining (51)special occasion (40)great for lunch (38)good for groups (31)hot spot (30)romantic (20)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)Show More
- Max a MiaPattedDined on 9/27/2014Very good and reliable food. Also has a great gluten free menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- musicRobbyDined on 9/27/2014The music was too loud and hard rock ish.. Poor choice and distracting to speak over especially when enjoying a evening Italian dinner with wine and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantMamaOf2Dined on 9/26/2014This is my husband and I's go to place with or without our little kids. Very kid friendly and yet also great for date night which is not very common in a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always An "A"PerlDined on 9/24/2014Despite having been here a dozen times, I am always impressed by everything about Max-a-Mia. The food, the energy and especially the service continues to be better and better each time I go. I am already looking forward to gout again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Gotta WaitWaitingGuyDined on 9/21/2014We showed up about 10 mins early for our 7:00 pm reservation, in the main dining room there were 2 four tops, one table for two, and a table for two that was a divided booth. We were told we would have to wait till 7:00 before we would be seated, I was told that they were holding tables for earlier reservations that MAY show up! I am told I will have too wait in the entry area (as there was no room at the bar) until they are sure that the people who did not honor their reservations are not coming. I think the Hostess needs training. We were there for Taste of the Suburbs and were looking forward to the blueberry pie, one of only 2 desserts they were offering, but were told they were out. Lastly the wine list is limited and overpriced.Special Features:
- Great and festive gathering placeMellieDined on 9/20/2014We are a group of friends who enjoy dining out together as well as cooking great meals for each other. Our recent evening at Maxamia was really comfortable and the service was warm and savvy and hospitable. The food was memorable. The sirloin was tender and delicious and the sea scallops were fresh and excellent. The pie tasted a little commercial but was okay. All in all, we had a fabulous evening!Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 9/18/2014Food was very good, prices reasonable and the service was exceptional.Special Features:
- "Taste" menus ... just so-socaelplVIPDined on 9/17/2014Unfortunately, both meals we had from 2 different "Taste" menus were just so-so. While the appetizers were good, our entree choices were very disappointing (the sirloin was chewy; the scallops a bit bland). Dessert-wise, the blueberry pie looked/tasted store-bought, and the peach tiramisu served in a martini glass was just awful (a overly sweet peach concoction, under soupy cream, with 2 lady finger cookies poking out of the top). Mama mia ...
- A good neighborhood restaurantfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/15/2014We go to Max a Mia at least once a week. The food is the type that appeals to many people. However, there's nothing as forward thinking or exciting as it was when it first opened. Will continue to go but would love to see some sparkling new dishes come out of the kitchen in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Taste of the SuburbsAlanDined on 9/13/2014Delicious! Food was prepared well, used interesting ingredients, and presented beautifully on the plate. Good portion sizes and quality of food was perfect. Perfect spot for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Great food and servicelmr910Dined on 9/12/2014The food and service are perfect here every time as with all of the Max restaurants. Love the ambiance at Max a Mia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodSusieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was great here. Very impressed with quality. Definitely would come back.Special Features:
- Taste of Suburbs ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014A wonderful experience with the Taste of the Suburbs. The price fixed menu was outstanding, squash blossoms, scallops, and blue berry desert. Always outstanding service and wonderful wine list. Our go to place.Special Features:
- CantonboyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for the Lobster Specials and they were great! My wife who orders Lobster Bisque all the time said it was the best she ever had. My Lobster over Basil-Lime Fettucini was fantastic. None of this surprises me. Max is my favorite local restaurant and I always have a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent!RocketVIPDined on 8/21/2014We've lived and dined in Avon for 15 years - and have often gone to Max a Mia, usually quite pleased. Sometimes there have been a few glitches, but w a new chef and manager (Dante), we were blown away with the service, the food, and attention to detail. All that, turned a mid-week family bite, to a memorable and especially delicious meal! - thank you Dante - for going over and above!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good after all these yearsMarleyDined on 8/16/2014We were frequent patrons of Max a Mia when we lived in Connecticut 22 years ago and while visiting friends decided to stop in. The restaurant has expanded considerably since we were last there and now includes outdoor dining. The service and manager were attentive and the food was as good as we remembered. The wait for our food was much longer than anticipated (20 minutes for a salad, 60 minutes for an entrée) but we assume it was just an off night. Definitely worth going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max A MiaRenyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Max Group have the magic touch. Every Restaurant that has "Max" as a start in the Hartford area is very good and you can not go wrong at any one of them! Max A Mia is no exception. The food is very tasty, the service is very good, the ambience is very good. This is a casual dining experience.... not as in "fast food" casual; more in line with "business casual". All of their different types of dishes are very good in their category. I have a "fish" preference and their fish entrees are very good... any of them. My husband is a "pasta guy" and he really likes their pasta dishes. The Stone Pies are really good if you are a "pizza" type.... So, if you haven't been there, give them a try!Special Features:
- Entertaining clients at Max'sBrooksie24VIPDined on 8/12/2014Max a Mia is our go-to place for out of town business clients and guests. We can count on prompt, friendly service and sumptuous clean-your-plate entreés. Our guests are always impressed. Thank you for another job well done!Special Features:
- Pretty goodVodoDined on 8/6/2014Food was good, good service -- would have rated it higher --if it weren't for the bugs on our food and constantly swatting flies and Mosquitos.Special Features:
- family dinnercssamuelDined on 8/4/2014Wonderful food, attentive server, lovely covered patio. Great dinner!Special Features:
- Foodie2Dined on 8/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner.. As well as great service Thank you!!Special Features:
- Very amenablePDXloverDined on 8/1/2014Went with specific dietary needs (vegan, gluten and soy-free) and they not only could answer questions clearly but made apropriate modifications. Only challenge is that it is often very loud in the dining areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CantonboyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We're here all the time and Max's never fails. this time was for a quick and light dinner. After drinks I ordered the mussels and they were great. In a flavorful tomato broth with grilled bread it was the best. My wife had clam/corn chowder and a Caesar salad which she really enjoyed. We both shared a pizza and our dinner was complete. We will continue to return on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Gem in AvonWilburDined on 7/28/2014Visiting family in Avon, went to restaurant because of gluten-free menu (we have multiple food allergies). Restaurant not only accommodated easily, but with outstanding food and attentive service. They even had gluten-free breadsticks! Seafood was fresh and well-prepared; gluten-free pasta was cooked perfectly. Kids and adults were very pleased and satisfied with the meal and the experience. Will definitely return when next visiting the area!
- Can always count on excellence!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I am never disappointed ..anytime I visit . I have moved to another state and when I return, Max A Mia is on my "must visit" list!Special Features:
- yum68Dined on 7/18/2014Max a Mia never disappoints. Awesome, fresh food -- always top notch. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service! No Rush!ceejDined on 7/16/2014I love a restaurant that allows you to enjoy your company and meal. We weren't rushed but we're well attended to. It's a delicate balance, but our server nailed. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always consistantAkitaedDined on 7/12/2014been going to Maxima for years and have never been disappointed. Our dinner was perfect from the appetizer to the espresso.Still serving the best vodka martini in the state. Appetizer was great, the hanger steak perfectly rare. Service, as always was spot on.Special Features:
- Remains a favorite, time and againBrooksie24VIPDined on 7/11/2014When we dined this past Saturday evening, we were happy to hear that yellow fin tuna was a daily special. If you love fresh tuna, you know the importance of "FRESH." Max a Mia never fails to impress with their tuna. Saturday's special was served with a seasoned angel hair pasta on top of a bed of arugula. DELICIOUS! From the pre-dinner sparking Rosé, through entreé and dessert - the meal was thoroughly memorable and most satisfying!Special Features:
- Excellent ServicefoodloverDined on 7/11/2014The staff is very professional and friendly. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Max at Max a MiaRenyVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had not been at Max a Mia for a long time. It was WONDERFUL! The food was VERY Tasty, the service was very friendly, the atmosphere was very comfortable. All in all, it was a great experience. My scallops were FABULOUS, my husband's pasta was wonderful. We will return there soon. I loved their signature roasted garlic for the bread, it was very yummy and so sweet, The food preparation and choices were up to date and the red quinoa was prepared deliciously. I am always happy to have gluten free choices and Max a Mia has them! If you haven't been to Max a Mia yet OR in a long time, I urge you to go.Special Features:
- Too noisykorinefDined on 7/10/2014Max a Mia is very noisy. We sat opposite each other at a very small table, but we had to shout to be heard. The service was less than we have come to expect at a Max restaurant. Before we finished our salads, the main courses were brought to us. We got an apology from the server, but we still had all these big plates on our small table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lobster specials!SimsburyMicheleDined on 7/5/2014We were prompted to go by an email blast about lobster specials, and our group was not disappointed. Our group ordered the surf & turf, chicken park, and lobster fra diavolo and everyone was very satisfied. The lobster specials were prix fixe, accompanied by an app or salad and dessert. Everything was delicious! We sat in the bar area (and were able to catch the end of a World Cup game). Nice ambience, not too loud. Service was good - attentive, but not overly so. Pleased with the wine/beer/cocktail selection. A great Saturday evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful from start to finishCindyDined on 7/4/2014My husband and I had a rare kidless night and went on July 4th for dinner. From the hostess to the chef, it was a delightful experience. It was obvious the restaurant was not expecting the rush because the surf and turf special was sold out right after we arrived, but at not time did any of the staff look stressed or overwhelmed. They handled every guest politely & as if they were the only ones in the restaurant. The kitchen is out in the open, yet you never heard anythign but professional conversations and the chef on the dessert and salad station (the one we were closest to) had his section mastered and treated all the wait staff so professional and efficietn it was a pleasure to watch. The food was lovely and dessert was heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Wait staff was amazing! We had a water spill and someone was immediately at our table to help. Also, two diners did not care for the dessert they ordered and our waitress took it off the bill - no questions asked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great choiceMsCasualTravelorDined on 6/27/2014We've been coming here over the years to celebrate special occasions, and this time did not disappoint. Starting with the roasted garlic clove to the meals themselves, we are always glad to have a reason to come here.Special Features:
- Fabulous Pasta DishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The Spaghetti Vongole is wonderful! We also enjoyed the Shrimp Pasta Special that was featured the evening we dined. The shrimp was very fresh. The salads are ample enough for 2 people to share, and the Tuscan Salad is excellent. The service was great and it was nice to dine outside on a perfect summer evening. It was quite busy, even for a Wednesday night, so reservations are a good idea. We will be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Max Restaurant in My NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014All the Max restaurants have great reputations, but Max a Mia is the most affordable of them all. And the food is terrific, traditional and not-so-traditional Italian dinners, great breads and dips, and farm-to-table salads. The service is always splendid, too. It's not the quietest restaurant around, but that's part of the fun, too. When you're in the mood for an enjoyable dinner out, with the emphasis on taste and variety, Max a Mia's a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's DayCtboy1whDined on 6/15/2014We had a good Father's Day lunch I got the sea scallops and the kids ordered off kids menu and we also got the salad Everything was timely and what you come to expect at a maxsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/12/2014We sat a table by the bar and the noise level was too loud between the TV and music and patrons.