Maurya Indian Cuisine
1643 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6J 1W9Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Maurya Indian Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mauryaindiancuisine.com/
- Phone: 6047420622x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We at Maurya are very capable of doing professional catering for upto 500 people. We have done a lot of high profile events as well as smaller caterings. We can bring our tandoor (clay oven) and make fresh food on site including naan bread.
- Private Party Facilities: Maurya is sophisticated, healthy Indian cuisine with five star service, a lengthy wine list and a mesmerizing room. Maurya uses traditional methods of cooking as compared to the other Indian restaurants.
- Private Party Contact: DAVE 8774238051
- Special Events: Festive signature lunch buffet $20
Christmas Dine-in Deal $80 (For 2)
Christmas take out and Delivery $70 (Good for 2)
A word from Maurya Indian Cuisine
Maurya Indian Cuisine is a landmark of fine dining in Vancouver. Serving exotic, mouth watering dishes, Maurya balances flavour with healthy cuisine using minimal oils, butter and creams. Using a base of five "mother sauces" instead of the usual one, Maurya's splendid cuisine is light while still keeping the flame of traditional Indian cuisine burning bright. Each dish is prepared & served in the same manner as it was made really for the Maharajas and Nawabs (Emperors) of India. A true oasis for food-lovers Maurya delivers impeccable service and a team of chefs direct from Delhi to greet every customer with a bright smile. In a unique approach to Indian food, Maurya's proprietors have prepared an extensive and select wine list to be paired with memorable, complete meals versus a la carte service. Its interiors are elegant, calm and beautiful, producing a harmonious and exotic environment. A sun-drenched patio is sure to mesmerize you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maurya Indian Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (13)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (9)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Nice findCassandraDined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and plenty of it, friendly but quite professional service, lovely spot, good location. Liked the 6 and 9 ounce wine options, but um, those last few drops in the carafe? Could I have those too please? Could use a little diversion of frigid air blasting from ceiling directly onto diners' necks. Fortunately, this was intermittent. Notwithstanding these small detractions, a delightful evening in a pleasant atmosphere. There was a screen, but fortunately I couldn't see it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighbuorhood placecmariecDined on 8/12/2014We love coming here because we can just walk...a lovely space with very attentive servers. The restaurant was buzzing & the food was delicious. We finished every last morsel!Special Features:
- Best Indian Food...PoCoFoodiesDined on 8/7/2014I have been to Maurya several times and have never been disappointed. The ambience, service and food are all outstanding. I have taken my friends and family here- they all loved it. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/3/2014We did not have a bad dining experience, but it was not notable either. We had the buffet and I guess for kids on a budget it was a good fit. Lots of food for a reasonable price. For people looking for quality and the wonderful spice of East Indian food - we did not find it here. Perhaps had we ordered off the menu it might have been different.
- Definitely Neighborhood gemCharlanDined on 7/26/2014The food buffet was excellent, tasty, great variety Ambience is superb Best customer service Cannot wait for my next visit, even better than I rememberedSpecial Features:
- Everything perfectAngyxx90Dined on 7/25/2014Great and kind service, really great food!! Wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffgourmandDined on 6/14/2014Pleasant staff - quick service - great food - spiced exactly to our wishes - authenticSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Our party was a large group of women gathered for a retirement luncheon so you can imagine how disorganized that can be. We all had the buffet which was excellent - lots of variety, well presented and, of course, very flavorful. The staff were efficient and gracious. Thank you - we had a great time.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemfoodiefamilyDined on 5/11/2014My family loves Indian food, and this was by the far best Indian food we have had in Vancouver. It was a sunny day, so we were able to sit outside on the patio, and overall it was just a lovely experience. I will definitely be back -- especially for the butter chicken. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but quality has droppedJacobDined on 5/8/2014The food we had on Thursday was very tasty but based on what I had eaten there about 7 years ago has changed significantly. Might be because of all these groupons being offered thereby impact quality of food. All in all I'd recommend people coming to Maurya but if going there after many years then don't expect the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre buffetGazzaDined on 5/6/2014I have been to the lunch buffet at Maurya on a couple of occasions. I have found the food to be rather ordinary. I may be more picky here because I generally do not find buffets exciting from the perspective of food quality. The variety is satisfactory but the quality of individual dishes is sub-par. The dishes are too greasy for my preference and this is something that the restaurant should be able to address. On the one occasion that I went to Maurya for dinner, I found the preparations to be better but oily still. I do like the location and space; I have found the restaurant very convenient for taking a largish group to.Special Features:
- The following 301 reviews are from the Maurya Indian Cuisine reviews archive.
- Too loud to have a conversationJbvanVIPDined on 5/3/2014Food was good, service ok, room was too loud to have a conversation.
- Service was very bad; I mean bad!Tsawwassen2014Dined on 4/24/2014Always having enjoyed this restaurant, I thought this would be a good place to meet a student for the first time. We waited for some service, and after about 10-12 minutes, I started to wave at the waitress to get her attention. She saw me more than once but didn't come over. I then went to the desk to ask if we could get menus. The waitress was not pleasant at all and said she would bring them over, which she did eventually, all in 20 minutes had gone by. The place wasn't packed. When it was time to pay the bill, again, I had to wave and call over the waitress again who was cleaning a table about 4 feet away, after the 3rd or so "excuse me", I got up again to ask for the bill. Not good and not ok.
- great food and serviceJaybDined on 4/16/2014I came to Maurya about 2 years ago and I asked for a menu, and waiter told me it is by the door. Food was just ok about 2 years ago. I had bad image since then about this restaurant. Last week I went there with a friend, service and food was so good. It was totally day and night difference. I will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Not bad, a bit spicy and priceRyanDined on 3/12/2014Went for late night dinner. Not bad Indian food, but a bit too spicy. A bit on the pricey side, but good service. It would be better if more spacious.Special Features:
- Very disappointingAnon514Dined on 3/3/2014The serving staff seemed more interested in their conversations than in attending to the customers. We were positioned right in front of the open door to the kitchen and so could hear the constant chatter. It was almost impossible to get attention even to pay at the end of the meal. The menu noted that tea could be refilled but in two hours of being at the restaurant we were never offered a top up or asked if we needed anything else. No one asked if we were enjoying our meal. As for the food - I have been to Maurya a number of times for lunch and have always enjoyed the buffet. So, I was looking forward to dinner. A friend forewarned that the restaurant had changed hands and that the food was not as good as it had been. She was correct.Special Features:
- Stay AwayNoneDined on 2/14/2014Read the recent reviews about the restaurant online. Since 2012, it's been downhill ever since. Poor service, stale food, exceptionally slow kitchen, and waiters that just don't care. One of the rare times I have walked out of a restaurant...because after 1.5hr, all I got was a seat and a glass of water. And I made reservations too!
- Horrible!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant was definitely unprepared for Valentines day evenning. From the time we sat down we spent an hour and a half waiting for our food after we had ordered. The wait staff came around every 20 minutes, every time only to apologize and say that the kitchen was slammed! It got to the point where we just walked out after having had sat there for almost two hours. The worst service I have ever experienced!!Special Features:
- reasonably priced good Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Was very pleasantly surprised at the excellent food and very reasonable price..we dined here for the first time on Valentine's Day, and expected high prices, but in fact the price was exceptionally reasonable. Dinner for two including excellent cold Indian beer was $75.00. The stuffed mushroom appetizer was AMAZING and enough for two to share. The spinach and cheese naan was so good we couldn't stop eating it..and SO reasonably priced at 4.95. We would highly recommend Maurya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experience, food wasAlex55Dined on 2/12/2014good experience, food was good, particularly that I had a great experience with good Indian food while I was in the UK and It did taste like proper Indian food so i definitely recommend it if you are craving for good spicy Indian cuisine but not for a romantic meal or a formal night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing IndianCherVIPDined on 1/30/2014After traveling to India, I can say that this was the best black Daal I've had since. So happy. Everything else we ate was amazing and perfect as well. The staff were very accommodating to our very large and rowdy group. Our waiter Hamza was an absolute sweetheart. A memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowEatVanDined on 1/25/2014Maurya is always a favorite! Fantastic lamb korma and halibut tandoori! Great service tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment with MauryaChooseyDined on 1/24/2014Service was non-existent. We were shown own table then completely ignored until I asked for a menu. Did not see a server again until we left. Food was luke warm. Have been to Maurya several times but probably will not go back again.
- Maurya - a great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013our group of seven recently dined at Maurya and had a great time - great ambiance, attentive service and excellent food. I would recommend this restaurant to friends and acquaintances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has great potentialFoodjunkieVIPDined on 4/25/2013This place has great potential but the lunch buffet was a shame to most less expensive Indian buffet restaurant. For a high end Indian restaurant, a better quality of food, service and dining experience is expected. Better off not to offer a buffet if it can't deliver on quality.
- One of the finest Indian foodFoodiesortaDined on 4/13/2013One of the finest Indian food restaurants I've ever been to in Vancouver. Very satisfying.Special Features:
- Birthday celebration turned awkwardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013This was the first time a server has ever told me, "If you don't tell us, we assume you don't want your leftovers". Can't believe she (server "deer") actually said that. My family was there to celebrate my mom's birthday & we never liked wasting food. We had a few of each of the different Naan's we ordered left over, along with some other stuff; so we piled all the leftover bread together into one full basket, /assuming/ server was going to pack it. While busy taking photos of my parents with the cake, our food were all taken away without notice. A lot of other problems on top of this but pity there's a character limit. Never returning again since not only did their food get worse (3 burnt dishes), so did their service.
- The service was dreadful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/30/2013The service was dreadful. And the food was not good. I have been here before and it was excellent so not sure why this was the case. Mentioned to the waitress rhat one of our dishes didnt taste right (which was why we had hardly eaten it) and she didn't care at all. It was strange.
- Have been here many times,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2013Have been here many times, noticed the flavour of the food slipping gradually over the years. During most recent visit a couple of dishes were decidedly "bland".
- I will be back. The food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/25/2013I will be back. The food was fast and excellent. Service was good. Portions were decentSpecial Features:
- The food is OK, but not great.MimiVIPDined on 3/20/2013The food is OK, but not great. It seemed mainly salty or bland. The service, while pleasant and friendly, was disorganized. For example, I asked three times before getting a cup of hot water, and then it wasn't really very hot. I had asked for hot water, like tea water without tea. After asking three times, I got a cup of water that was lukewarm, as if drawn from warm tapwater. We ordered two courses, and the meal took nearly two hours, with a very long gap between appetizers and the main course. The dining room wasn't even half full, so it seems unlikely that the kitchen was overwhelmed with orders. Different waiters came by asking us the same questions. We were disappointed.
- Nice ambiance. Friendly staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013Nice ambiance. Friendly staff. Compare to other indian food places prices are higher but not better food.Special Features:
- Attentive service althoughDeepCoveLoverDined on 3/9/2013Attentive service although they were going to sit us at a different table from our friends who arrived earlier and were booked under a reservation. Food was average tasting and servings on the small side but still delicious as I wasn't cooking! Not a complaint as most Indian restaurants seem to have typical portion sizes. A bit noisy but to be expected for the open sitting area. Would recommend as food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Tasty But PriceyYummyDined on 2/16/2013Tasty food, but pricey for the SMALL portion you get...one drink, one vegetable dish and two curry dishes was $90.00 with tip. Would not go there often for dinner and only for a special occasion if I go again. I would look for another restaurant that has just as tasty food, better portion size and gives better value for your hard earned dollar.Special Features:
- I made my reservation daysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013I made my reservation days ahead of time. Then when I showed up with my girlfriend they did not even acknowledge that I had a reservation. I even saw my name on the computer. Ive been before and the food was great. Unfortunately I did not get to try the food this time as I wasnt going to sit around and wait for table when I made a reservation. They couldnt even give me a wait time. It was chaos in there. So we left and whent across the street to cactus club.
- Food was great, nice and quietLoveFoodFoodieDined on 2/7/2013Food was great, nice and quiet atmosphere, and good service. We had the butter chicken dish and I tried the Chicken Chettinad for the first time and I thought it was excellent. The waiter was friendly and helpful. We will go back again.Special Features:
- A large group of us went outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2013A large group of us went out for dinner. We shared a variety of appetizers and main courses. Everything was delicious. We'll definitely come back again and try some different dishes.Special Features:
- We've been to Maurya a numberEconomistAtLargeDined on 12/30/2012We've been to Maurya a number of times since it was mentioned to me by a sub-continental Indian in Whitehorse, Yukon of all places as his favourite Indian restaurant in Vancouver. It's certainly become mine! From easy, free parking (front or rear) to the beautiful room itself, to the excellent service and topped off by really top notch Indian fare, Maurya is not to be missed. If you like Indian food, it's difficult if not impossible for me to imagine that you would be other than delighted with Maurya.Special Features:
- over all it is just a so soblueskyjeffVIPDined on 12/25/2012over all it is just a so so food, so so service, and pricey place. The only few restaurant still take reservation one day before Christmas or on Christmas.
- Food was excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/25/2012Food was excellent. Service was quite slow, although fine once it got going, as it was early for their dinner time and they were short-handed preparing for a larger party.Special Features: