Maurizio Trattoria Italiana
505 S Coast Hwy 101
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Maurizio Trattoria Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maurizioca.com/
- Phone: 7609427332x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Lorenzo Lorin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Maurizio Trattoria Italiana
Welcome to Maurizio Trattoria Italiana! We have been 17 years in the making, and with a number of Italian staff members, our staff is pleased to maintain the authentic Italian dining experience. Chef Lorenzo, who has been a chef for over a decade and at the restaurant since it opened, is from Firenze, Italy. Maurizio came to Encinitas in 1995 from Varese, Italy, with a love and passion for quality Italian food. In 1996, he met Roberto Vigilucci, owner of the much respected Vigilucci Restaurant Group. Roberto and Maurizio shared the same passion, and with Roberto's help and shared expertise, and the support of Sandro and Sandra Bussolari from Italy, Maurizio took over as owner in 2013. We are excited and honored to continue to bring you the same hospitality, quality food and service that has been delivered in this beautiful location near the beach for years. We look forward to serving you and doing whatever we can to make your dining experience a memorableContinued
one. Buon Appetito!
one. Buon Appetito!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Maurizio Trattoria Italiana - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Maurizio Trattoria Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (22)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (10)good for groups (10)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- the night's special...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014I had the evening's special - a sea bass presented presented European style - whole with a wonderful crust! Mauritzio himself came over to demonstrate how to gently take apart a "whole" fish to get to the moist mild white meat within it. And the roast potatoes were almost creamy with mild but delicious herbs and flavorings. Mauritzio himself is very entertaining and hospitable. It was a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with beach atmosphereAlison43Dined on 9/13/2014Full Italian menu with the laid back atmosphere of Encinitas. Italian owned and operated. Fantastic food!Special Features:
- kgsternkgsternDined on 9/3/2014Food was good. Service was a bit slow because they were understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/28/2014Pleasant friendly place. Food good tho not outstanding. Still probably one of the best in Encinitas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You are one of the familyMamaneeDined on 8/25/2014Excellent food but more importantly we were greeted with a hand shake and exceptional service. The food was amazing and the attention to detail was very appreciated. Gonna be our favorite when we finally move here. Will be back with guests in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nights in a row should be telling!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014I'm a newbie to Maurizio's….and wow is it great! The four of us enjoyed our experience so well this past Saturday, that I returned with a friend the following night, Sunday (this is true) for a second round of the delicious egg noodles with mushrooms and scallops….. this dish really is that good!! Maurizio the owner is energetic, social, entertaining and seems to really care about his restaurant and that things run smoothly. This is my new favorite neighborhood restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New FavDiningDevoteeDined on 8/21/2014I drive by this place often and never realized it changed hands about 10 months ago. Stopped in for a birthday dinner, and had a fabulous time. Here's what they do right: * Fabulous food (don't miss the bolognese or lasagna) * Great Service * Involved, friendly owner Maurizio (made my teens feel welcome & at home -- he treated us like regulars) Here's what they do wrong: * Nothing See you next week, Maurizio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014A friend of ours recommended Maurizio's and she it right on the food was outstanding the service was great, we had 7:00 pm reservations they said they were running alittle behind, the owner took us to the bar we had cocktails and he offered us an apertizer, which was very nice and after dinner he gave us desert make sure you have reservation great food and drinks and friendlySpecial Features:
- Thought we were in TuscanyJSG33Dined on 8/15/2014Except for the overly generous portions, we felt we were dining in a trattoria in Tuscany. Friendly, crowded, noisy environment on a busy Friday night with Italian waiters and host weaving among the guests, brought back many memories. Our reservation was honored within 15 minutes. The bread and salads were very fresh. If the food was slow coming we did not notice because we were completely entertained by staff and just people watching. The sea bass special was perfectly cooked as was the pasta dish. Restaurant appears very popular with many locals as well as tourists. It was a fun evening and the wine recommendations were excellent.Special Features:
- Maurizio's for a great experience!KazsezDined on 8/15/2014Love this wonderful neighborhood Italian. Everything about this restaurant makes for a perfect experience. The location, ambiance, service and food couldn't be more perfect. Maurizio is an excellent manager and owner, making great suggestions for your dining experience and coming by the tables regularly to ensure that everyone is happy. His warm, friendly presence ensures that the servers are at their best and that all his diners are enjoying their evening. The menu offers many of the traditional Italian dishes people have come to know and love, with the addition of other delicious and enticing choices. We love Maurizio and Maurizio's Trattoria Italiana :) The Thompsons...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inviting, delicious & funSeattleNanaDined on 8/9/2014The owner welcomed us and our reserved table was immediately ready even though it was the height of a busy Saturday night. The owner was very helpful with selecting a perfect and most delicious wine. Loved the Caesar salad and veal picatta. The complimentary creme brulee for my friend's birthday was the best I've tasted in years. The owner checked in a few times throughout the evening to ensure we were happy. Can't wait to return to try their fresh pasta as the other diners' dishes looked wonderful. The room is small, but well situated so we were able to speak privately, while enjoying the vitality of the crowd who were obviously all enjoying themselves and their dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGrammaLynnDined on 8/9/2014Just what we were hoping for tonight. Busy, but from the moment we got there the service was spot on. Four of us and we shared 2 salads and then each ordered a pasta. All were excellently prepared and served with a nice bottle of wine. We're looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great food and great service!jhlsdDined on 8/9/2014The food and service here is great. It is a wonderful authentic Italian dining experience. The menu offers menu options that satisfy everyone. The staff is excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Felt Like I was in South Philly!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014This place is like eating in my grandmother's house! The food was great, and the service had an old school charm. Our meals were very good and kept simple to highlight the ingredients...veal in our case. The meatballs were delicious as well. Can't wait to return!
- Our First TimeTrueFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was our first visit but it certainly won't be our last. I had the spaghetti carbonara and it was outstanding with plenty of meat to go with perfectly cooked spaghetti. Very friendly and attentive staff. A nice evening.Special Features:
- Worth a VisitMinouVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a girls night out at Maurizio's and overall we would go back since our entrees were delicious. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the calamari appetizer which came in a red sauce and hardly any calarmari in the dish. The service was poor at best - we got whiplash trying to get someone to serve us water and even take our drink order. It seems that they do not have the part about training their staff, assigning tables and some of the basic service protocols right, but all the same we would go back because the food is good ...Special Features:
- A real treat!sirwilliamwallaceDined on 7/18/2014Dinner was exquisite. Fresh pasta, friendly service, and Maurizio is a true restaurateur.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/14/2014The great food and friendly atmosphere make this a great place for dinner or after-movie meal!Special Features:
- Great Italian foodTheaDined on 7/12/2014This is only our second time at Maurizio's restaurant but it will not be our last. The wine list is great-a wine for everyone and the prices are reasonable. There were 4 of us and we all loved what we ate-especially the squash ravioli. Delish! The cannolis and creme brulee for dessert ends your meal on a high note. And then of course, there is the pleasant and knowledgable wait staff and charming owner Maurizio himself to bring your experience here making you want to come back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food and service. Will definitely return but will choose indoor seating. Much too hectic and noisy adjacent to the busy intersection. Owner is hands-on and attentive to his guests.
- RichDined on 6/20/2014First time at the restaurant. The food was tasty but not spectacular. The Cesar salad was a bit on the skimpy side (only two full leafs of Romaine). One entrée was a salmon. The fish was good, but not much in the way of seasoning and not a good value for the $37 price. The other entrée was a pasta Bolognese which had a nice flavor and was at a reasonable price. Wines by the glass were good, but again not spectacular.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!My2centsDined on 6/15/2014This used to be called Vigiluccis now Maurizio Trattoria Italiana, with the same staff, this location was bought out by Chef Lorenzo who came to california from Italy to learn english 17 years ago, worked most his career at Vigilucci's restaurants and now realized his dream of owning his own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgFredDined on 6/14/2014We really liked this Italian restaurant. The menu selections were outstanding and the food very flavorable. The service was very attentive. Our only criticism, one common to many restaurants these days, was the noise level. We had difficulty talking and noticed that the owner and his servers also had trouble hearing us when ordering and confiring with others. To really make a greater dining experience, our restautants need to solve this very nasty issue of noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousdgcardiffDined on 6/12/2014The food was absolutely delicious. I had the Cioppino it was just the right level of richness with subtle spiceyness balancing the seafood beautifully. Maurizio is a character and came over to chat with us for a while. Overall a great meal, would definetely recommend.Special Features:
- foodie addictCHASDined on 6/10/2014This was the best homemade Italian I have had in a long time. The Calamari Misto was cooked crisp, with a great warm sauce . The pappardelle with mushrooms and scallops was fresh with a light but flavorful sauce and the veal marsala was tender and perfectly cooked. We'll be BACK!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible marinara sauce.DesertdinerVIPDined on 6/9/2014Service is spotty, owner is sweet, wine list good, pasta delicious! Definitely worth going if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem In EncinitasPattiJo32VIPDined on 6/6/2014You all remember the Vigilucci's there on PCH in Encintias across from La Paloma? Well, this one has changed a bit. It's now Maurizio Trattoria Italina and it's outstanding. The food was perfect and just the way I like my steak cooked. My husbands pasta had so much flavor, he was even surprised. Service was great, and the atmosphere (with the exception of the lady at the table next to us texting someone incessantly and not turning the annoying ringer off) was really authentic. We will definitely be going back here!Special Features:
- Excellent italiandaveVIPDined on 6/2/2014Authentic italian food is hard to find in these parts, but Maurizio pulls it off. The red sauce here is to die for, good on any of the pastas. Could not stop eating it even when I knew I should. Service is attentive and very italian, like real ialians (mostly) waiting on you. One of us had a filet that was cooked to perfection, and one of the best steaks I have ever had in San Diego. Who would think that an Italian place would have such good meat? Fresh, crisp romaine leaves for the caesar, perfectly fried calamari for an appetizer, and a very good tiramisu to finish it all off. Hopefully, not a lot of people will discover this place so I can have it to myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but slowArchmomVIPDined on 5/31/2014We really enjoyed our evening at Maurizio and will go back. Don't know if it was an unusually busy Saturday, but the service was very slow. My husband and I were there for almost two hours - at least a half hour longer than the meal should have taken. Our waiter was wonderful and apologized for the slowness, but that needs to be addressed.
- Who would have known....highexpectationsVIPDined on 5/31/2014Always searching for the diamond in the rough, we jumped on the freeway and traveled about 50 miles to see if the reviews were spot on. As you enter, Maurizo greats you with a friendly handshake. The restaurant is charming, bright and well laid out. Our server Angelo was the best; not to mention they had more table servers than I have ever seen. The food and menu were amazing. We had the prosciutto bruschetta a 10, the stuffed artichocke hearts a 9, two half orders of pasta and the veal parmigiana! The only rub might be the gnocci. I don't think it was home made but the delicious pomodoro sauce more than made up for it. So if you are looking for a new friendly restaurant with spectacular food at a reasonable price try Maurizo's!Special Features:
- DisappointingkisfanVIPDined on 5/29/2014Neither the food nor service were as good as the former Vigilucci's. The person who seemed to be in charge (presumably, Maurizio) was obnoxious. I can't imagine returning.... too many good restaurants in the area.
- TeacherVIPDined on 5/25/2014Hours should be extended after 10PM and have some music and appetizer dishes. The lighting was beautiful, food excellent. Also expand the menu. There was no baked eggplant on it and include some chicken soup w pasta.Special Features:
- The following 6 reviews are from the Maurizio Trattoria Italiana reviews archive.
- Amazing finddedeVIPDined on 5/14/2014I checked Open Table for a good dinner spot at 8 pm and found Maurizio's. We walked in and were warmly greeted by the staff and Maurizio. The wine list was great was great. So we had some wine and an appetizer of carpaccio while we chatted with the owner. Our meal was excellent and very authentic Italian. My husband raved about his seafood pasta and my risotto was to die for. I can't wait to return for more.Special Features:
- My In Laws are from RomeCarlsbadSevenDined on 5/11/2014I took my in laws out for Mother's Day this year. They have very discerning taste and are highly perceptive on service quality. They uniformly gave Maurizio's five stars. I loved the food too but I asked them why they loved the food so much. The both agreed it was the ingredients. My Mother in Law pointed out the quality of olive oil, fresh spices, cheese, meat and fish. She is an incredible cook too so for her to rave it really had to be good. I think many restaurants in North County try to get by with lower quality ingredients but that is not Maurizio's. They really take a great deal of care to make the dining experience unforgettable. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- week-night birthday dinnerFrancophilesDined on 4/22/2014We liked Maurizio's story and yes he was there chatting with guests. The place seems very Italian and the food was very good - special was seabass with potatoes and our other entree was the shrimp scampi Livornese over grilled polenta - we enjoyed both. Nice touch - a candle on my dessert and it was on the house, for my birthday. Quiet place but enough patrons on a Tuesday night. Waiter was older, Italian, attentive and knowledgeable but could have smiled more! He got our glasses of wine mixed up. Nice outdoor sidewalk tables for warmer weather. Cozy ambiance inside. Seems like the furniture is left over from the prior restaurant, Vigilucci's - a tad worn. Hope the restaurant does well. All in all a nice addition to downtown Encinitas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliziosoFabFoodieDined on 4/17/2014My cousin and her family were in town so we met for dinner at Maurizio's. They were highly impressed with everything. As usual, the food was amazing and the staff is great. It always reminds me of my trips to Italy!Special Features:
- Great experience!ClaudzDined on 4/11/2014Service was outstanding! Food was authentic! Owner was very friendly and the heatlamps outside actually keep you warm! It was very relaxing, and it almost seems as if the waitors fight over helping you!! I ordered the pesto with pine nuts, and it was delish!! I only spent $25 (including a generous tip)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New gem in Encinitas! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/9/2014New gem in Encinitas! Great old style Italian with a very personable owner. Would go back again!Special Features: