Maui Thai Bistro
2439 S Kihei Rd
Kihei, HI 96753Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Maui Thai Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mauithaibistro.com/
- Phone: 8088745605
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Prakong Tongsod
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout
- Catering: We will cater food for parties upwards of 20 in support Maui's wedding planners.
A word from Maui Thai Bistro
Brilliantly innovative Thai cooking on the world's favorite island! Chef Prakong brings her artisan's skills to Maui Thai Bistro, a contemporary (and kitsch-free) Thai restaurant in South Maui. Brilliant lunch fare includes exotic tomyum fried rice, kao mun gai (chicken rice w tangy sauce), kiawe-smoked ribeye fried rice, drunken rice noodles, a truly authentic padthai, and much much more. Dinner features Prakong's artisanal homemade curries with a modern island twist, including to-die-for dishes as macnut short ribs panang, seared ahi choochee, pineapple kua curry, and plenty more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maui Thai Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Disappointing ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014If you have never had good Thai, then this is a perfectly fine place to dine. If you have, then you will be disappointed. I have nothing disparaging to say except that I have nothing excellent to say, just one of many so-so Thai places throughout the Islands. Service was good, pricing as expected for Kihei, and a nice room that was not too loud.
- Maui ThaiPhlGrlVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food was good, but for the atmosphere seems a little over priced by New York standards for a strip mall restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty ThaiOzziecatDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant is offering exceptional food. All organic ingredients , homemade sauces, make for excellent flavors. The service is friendly, knowledgable and fast. I will good back here next year when on Maui.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star ThaiCharleysDined on 8/25/2014Yummy food and large portions. Located in Rainbow Mall (rear), hard to find even with directions. Great Pad Thai, chicken satay and spring rolls. Would recommend.Special Features:
- good stuffmznutsaxDined on 8/21/2014I can count the amount of times we've eaten at Maui Thai. Love the service & food
- Best on Hawaiian IslandsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have been in Hawaii for several weeks and have eaten at many locations. With absolutely no hesitation, I can say that we had the greatest meal at the Maui Thai Bistro, without a doubt. In fact, I would be tempted to fly back from Annapolis just for a repeat of that meal. I wish there was a higher rating than 5, Maui Thai Bistro has earned it. Thanks, also for our waitress Grace, who was graceful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!FoodieMauiDined on 7/31/2014We have dined at Maui Thai Bistro several times before and love their food. They recently added soft shell crab in the menu, which is crisply cooked and seasoned with great sauce. My another favorite dish is lamb with pepper cone sauce. They make their own ice cream, and all flavors (black sesame, green tea and coconut) are outstanding and of great quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food with Good ServiceDinerWADined on 6/24/2014It confirmed the positive reviews we had read online. We will eat there again.Special Features:
- Great Thai FoodLocalFoodieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Best Thai on the Island! Love this place and come here once a week at least!Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the Maui Thai Bistro reviews archive.
- Yum!KphjrVIPDined on 5/10/2014We drove from Lahaina to Kihei (almost Wailea) for our spice fix. Maui Thai is hidden away at the back of a retail strip plaza, fairly non-descript, so make sure you have the address or you may not find it. The restaurant staff were all, without exception, very friendly and professional. The food was incredibly delicious and the restaurant spotless and modern. This is a find!!! I am sure, had we been situated closer, we would have returned. It is that good! The food offerings are also different from the mainland as they try to augment traditional Thai food with Hawaiian fare so don't feel like you are settling for something you could get back home. We paid $150 for 5 and even had leftovers. Go!Special Features:
- Best Thai on MauiLocalFoodieVIPDined on 5/2/2014I love this restaurant! It is a great space feeling open and bright and the food is fantastic. Very fresh and clean. I come here as often as I can.Special Features:
- Best Thai in Town!LocalFoodieVIPDined on 4/25/2014I love Maui Thai Bistro! The summer rolls are fantastic, the Tom Kha soup and pretty much anything you order is really good!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2014We came to Kihei after staying in Wailea and were excited to find this place especially after paying ridiculous prices for mediocre food. This place is kind of tucked into a little strip mall and was warry, but the food was so yummy. Had the drunken fish, pad thai shrimp, and shortribs with macadamia nuts and curry.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service...FrancesDined on 3/29/2014Very good, I am a lover of Thai food, though in actual Thailand I found the food too hot ( chillies) for my taste....but in North America I love good Thai food.wish the corkage fee wasn't so high though. I kind of liked when it was BYOB.Special Features:
- pleasant surpriseWheelerDined on 3/25/2014We have been going to Maui for over 25 years and had yet to stumble on this place redone or otherwise. The food was very good and true to form. The price very reasonable.. We will definitely be backed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Thai aroundjaketcDined on 3/21/2014My wife and I enjoy the Thai food here more than almost any other restaurant on Maui! Get the main mahi choo chee. Its the best dish we have had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite ThailspsanmateoDined on 3/21/2014We live here part time and this is our favorite Thai spot. Love the Railroad rice and the Panang Curry with Mahi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai food in MauiGlenVu2VIPDined on 3/20/2014I'm from San Francisco Bay Area and have eaten in great restaurants there . Maui Thai Bistro' food prep and quality is as good as it gets. We ate there twice and both times were exceptionally good. I'd highly recommend eating here whether you live here or just visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodieVIPDined on 3/17/2014Great Food, clean newer surroundings. New owners since we were there last year. The service was very good, food was quick to the table and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentFootieDined on 3/11/2014On website it stated BYOB...got there expected to pay corkage fee but not $15.00/bottle which is what they were asking Both dishes we chose tasted reheated certainly not freshly prepared as in usually is in Thai restaurants also the wrappers on the fresh spring rolls were tough which means they were sitting around for awhile We have eaten in many Thai restaurants around the world,this one did not live up to the reviews and I would not recommend it.
- Fabulous Thai foodMaui6Dined on 2/21/2014This restaurant has the best Thai food I think I've ever eaten. Apparently the chef had a restaurant on the other side of the island in Hana, and folks were driving from Kihei 2 hours to go eat there. So she opened up a restaurant more in the hub of the island. I had a mango fish salad that was to die for. I also loved her tofu in a peanut sauce - scrumptious!Special Features:
- Authentic and innovative Thai food!FoodloverMauiVIPDined on 2/14/2014I have had Thai food in many locations including in Thailand, and this is the best! I went to Maui Thai Bistro for the second time on the Valentines Day 2014. The first time was New Year's Eve 2013. Each time we were a relatively big group, 9 people and 7 people, and everybody loved the food. It is authentic Thai and also innovative in Hawaiian way, using local ingredients as well as good quality imported materials such as lamb. Staff are very friendly and efficient. They were about to start serving alcohol. I look forward to going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm atmosphereShinoDined on 2/14/2014Yummy Thai food. Plus a very warm and welcoming dining experience. It was valentines day and each woman was given a rose and a complimentary and delicious chocolate mousse for dessert? Lovely.Special Features:
- Just OKPinkyVIPDined on 2/7/2014The springroll appitizer came out quickly and was great. But our dinner order took some time to arrive, service was a bit forgetful. The cashew chicken was okay. Would have liked a bit more chicken in the dish for the price. And the fried rice was typical, however it was made with canned pineapple which seems a little odd, given we are on Maui and this fresh fruit is pretty available. Overall I feel our experience at Maui Thai Bistro was just ok. Be willing to go back again and give a second try, maybe for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai Food on MauipaiamamaDined on 2/5/2014I brought a group of 12 Red Hat ladies for our monthly lunch. The table was set for us with red napkins (by my request). The service was outstanding, as was the food. We will all return. Chef Prakong prepared food specifically for the "fussiness" of elderly ladies desire for little spice. Every dish was perfect. We especially appreciated the friendliness of the servers, who catered to our every need. I hope we can return again as a group. My neighbors and daughters also love the food. The wine was superb, matching the food perfectly.Special Features:
- Food could have had more flavorSuesuechefVIPDined on 1/21/2014Heard great things, but I thought food could have had more flavor. It felt a little generic. Staff was very friendly & it's BYOB.Special Features:
- All over great!Spicy101Dined on 1/18/2014We greatly enjoyed the Mahi Mahi Cho Chee dish. A smaller portion size but never lacked flavor! Very special dish! Also shiitake mushroom spring rolls are very fresh and the sweet chili peanut sauce that came with it really added that extra complexity that it needed. Service was great! They were very accomodating to us and our needs. Also they give Kamaaina which is always the best part. The ambiance is minimalistic and modern. Prime colors, clean cut modern lines, the napkins are all different colors which makes them look like clown scarfs but it pulled the them together.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!BuffDined on 1/8/2014Maui Thai Bistro is the best Thai food restaurant I have found to date! The menu is full of delicious gems that leave you wanting more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local Thai restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014Mau Thai in Kehei was a great find. It was as good as my favorite Thai restaurant in the Boston area. And it's locally owned and run. The dishes were tasty and nicely presented, the ingredients were fresh,, and the portions were plentiful. The staff was friendly and the service was reasonably prompt especially considering that we were there on a busy Saturday night. There is no liquor service at the restaurant, so it's BYO. The staff provides necessary openers and glassware. The only caveat I'd offer was that the ambiance is noisy when the restaurant is full.Special Features:
- This was my second trip toMackDined on 12/28/2013This was my second trip to the Thai Bistro. Food was great. Enjoyed itSpecial Features:
- GIve this new Thai restaurant a tryNormhDined on 12/23/2013This new South Kihei restaurant has been open for a couple of months, and it is worth a visit or two. The service is efficient and friendly, though when it gets really busy things can take a bit longer - not a problem for those of us on a relaxing Hawaiian holiday. The menu has lots of interesting choices, and the food is tasty and reasonably priced. It's BYOB, so if you like wine or beer with your Thai food, bring it along. I definitely recommend this as a place to eat in Kihei.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad menu with really niceNorCaleatsVIPDined on 12/20/2013Broad menu with really nice food, but the kitchen seemed to have difficulty in getting all our dishes out to our whole group.
- Go ahead- Thai one on...Manhattan2MauiDined on 12/20/2013I honestly recommend this restaurant without reservation! Often disappointed with food on Maui- A first since NYC- we've found a Thai restaurant with food we truly enjoy! Clean simple decor- refreshing for so many who try and end up looking like an estate sale- & the ambiance carries over to the cooking philosophy- clean, fresh, simply good food! We often try "safe" items first-Very fresh summer rolls, curried potatoes in rice paper (I'd suggest a vinegar and sweet chile sauce) were a subtle and well balanced mix. The Pad Thai-very fresh with each flavor complimenting each other, not competing! The Panang Curry did not resort to heat to carry it- instead fresh, clear tastes of Kaffir lime, coconut milk & bell pepper blended perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!mrabDined on 12/2/2013Excellent Thai food with some creative spins on traditional dishes. The owner and wait staff were incredibly friendly. This restaurant deserves an ONO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for Thai on MauigofishDined on 11/29/2013Best place for Thai on Maui We love it!! Awesome staff! We went twice this week!Special Features:
- Good food, very slow serviceeaterVIPDined on 11/26/2013On two visits we have had the same experience. Very tasty food but very poor service. Everyone is pleasant but it took 45 minutes or more to get simple dishes out of the kitchen. Also seems random who gets their food first-tables who came in and ordered well after we did got their food 15 minutes ahead of ours.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/17/2013Freshest home cooked Thai food we have ever had. We are recommending Maui Thai Bistro to everyone we know.Special Features:
- Fantastic!IslanderDined on 11/14/2013We are so happy to have such a great restaurant in South Maui. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.