Maudes liquor bar
840 W Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Maudes liquor bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maudesliquorbar.com/
- Phone: 3122439712
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 4:45-2am Saturday 5:45-2am Kitchen is open until midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Pikus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please email email@example.com
A word from Maudes liquor bar
Rustic Parisian bar serving classic french food and hand crafted cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maudes liquor bar reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)romantic (120)special occasion (87)neighborhood gem (79)hot spot (79)vibrant bar scene (49)great for outdoor dining (33)late-night find (33)good for groups (28)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Tres magnifique!mamatubsVIPDined on 9/26/2014Try the cassoulet! They have a limited number nightly so get there early. It's well worth it. The foie gras pate is also quite excellent. The service has always been incredible. The servers are very knowledgeable about the menu. Very cool, fun place!Special Features:
- Bgm2Dined on 9/25/2014Good and service was great but ambiance was the best part of it all. Food was a little heavy for my taste but deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious "Bargain" FindCNoteDined on 9/24/2014This is probably our favorite of the Hogsalt restaurants in Chicago, and generally the most accessible, by virtue of the ability to actually book a table on a day's notice. Dark, romantic ambiance, and well-spaced tables make for easy conversation with your significant other (or someone else's, if that's your thing). Excellent ingredients, preparation, and presentation, high-quality cocktails, and professional, polite service. The only downside has been the somewhat stagnant beer list - good quality, but very little turnover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LJMMVIPDined on 9/23/2014High quality food, but a limited range of options.
- Off nightSgr1Dined on 9/23/2014Food was good but service awful. We've been here many times, but this time the service was so disjointed. Perhaps the kitchen was having a bad night, but the waiter didn't do anything to mitigate the situation. He seemed oblivious to the lack of service
- Would come back for the MusselsFoodmamaDined on 9/21/2014Came to this restaurant with my husband for a date night during a trip to Chicago. It was recommended by locals so had high expectations. The ambience and food overall was good but service needs improving. Server was attentive at first felt like she forgot about us-- forgot one side dish and told her we would like to cancel but still brought it at end of meal even though we didn't eat. Bread served hot and delicious to dip in yummy mussel sauce. Braised lentils very good, frites could have been hotter and better. Chicken cooked perfectly but a little on the salty side. Definitely try mussels and Sunday nights has live jazz guitar which was pleasant to have in the background.Special Features:
- Special night outKiwiDined on 9/18/2014I went to Maude's for my birthday celebration and they were more than welcoming. We originally were given a table by the door so we asked to move and the hostess was extremely nice and found us another one. The food was also out of this world and the drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodAnnabelleCDined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Maude's - starting with the cocktails and then moving into the food, everything was delicious. I would recommend leaving room for dessert, too!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodfujiappleVIPDined on 9/17/2014Maude's is such a great restaurant. Love the setting. I prefer the upstairs seating area since downstairs can get a little bit loud with folks crowded around the bar. The food is great - escargot is a must. It was so good, we ordered another round. They do a wonderful job with their steak and their mussels.Special Features:
- another great night at Maude'sdjwessDined on 9/15/2014took out-of-town guests; they loved it; we loved it again. Wonderful server though I can't remember his name :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful restaurant; service so-soMinaDined on 9/13/2014The food was great, the setting was enchanting, but the service was a little off. One of our drink orders (an Old Fashioned) never got put in, and once it was realized it didn't get put it, it still took 20 min. Our order of oysters (just four) was also never put in, and we didn't realize until the end of the meal. We brought it to the server's attention, eventually got a confusing answer of different options, finally got the oysters -- at least they were free of charge. The drinks were amazing and so was the food, so it was still a good experience. The steak tartare and the bone marrow were delicious.Special Features:
- Not the best visitfoodluver10Dined on 9/11/2014I've dined here plenty of times prior to our most recent visit and know the quality of service is usually on point. However, we ended up with a night to forget. The dishes all came out at different intervals and one came an hour after ordering. The most interesting part was the fact that the neighboring tables, which showed up and ordered after our table, were both served that same dish we waited an extra hour to receive. The meal was comp-ed and much appreciated, but didn't make up for the length of time it took to complete our meal. I hope this was an anomaly as we were shocked that this could happen at such a highly respected establishment. Better luck next time to all.
- Good winter restaurantnomadVIPDined on 9/11/2014Upstairs dark, and coupled with rich food, is perfect for winter meals. Start with the french onion fondue for delicious decadence! Downstairs is more lively; bar area gets a bit congested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Chicago's bestskmulterDined on 9/10/2014Maude's is one of our favorites and Chicago top picks. The food is always impressive, priced right for the Randolph corridor, and the atmosphere is a nice mix of trendy and warm. The small but impressive menu has something for everyone; We've brought family, friends, and clients and response is always very positive. Music is played at a level that maintains ambience but allows easy conversation without yelling. They have the only chicken in town I'll order over a steak or fish; perfectly moist, incredibly flavorful, including white meat. Their whipped foie with sour cherry is a must on every visit. Cocktails shine. If they could just improve on their immature and frequently bored staff we'd be pleased - Maude's deserves and can do better.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, bland foodtk74Dined on 9/6/2014Food was pretty bland. Waitress wasn't educated on the different menu items....or able to provide food recommendations. Slow service. Drinks were great. Great ambiance - great place to go for a drink, but I would eat elsewhere.
- great spotjwm1Dined on 8/27/2014excellent food, great service and a fun atmosphereSpecial Features:
- alwaysoutDined on 8/23/2014a little expensive. salads not as good as other items. overall very good.Special Features:
- Wanted it to be good but...H20skier66Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I went to Maudes for a Friday date night. We really wanted it to be as good as everyone said but unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. While the food in general was good it wasn't great. The Foie Gras was excellent, bone marrow, snails, oysters only par for the course. The Ribeye that we had heard so much about - easily one of the worst steaks we've ever had at a restaurant. While seasoned wonderfully the meat was tough and nearly inedible. Overcooked you say? No. We went with the recommendation of medium rare (which came out the first time cold). Maude's gave us some free fries and apologized, fine, but with drinks/tip dinner was $200. Too many nice places in Chicago to go back or recommend it at those prices.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysChestnutVIPDined on 8/22/2014Maude's has interesting but classic dishes with fantastic bread and high-quality ingredients. The portions are generous and the prices (including for the drinks) are fair, especially given the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Love the place, the drinks were fun and tasty, the wine list was enticing especially if you are like us a prefer French wines. I was disappointed with the food. The cheese fondue was really onions with alittle cheese on top, the foie gras came in an emulsion not as "entier" sliced(though they told us before ordering, so we knew)Cassoulet was fine. The food was good but not great. I would go back for late night drinks with friends but not for the food.Special Features:
- Yummy FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Had the opportunity to grab a spot on the chic patio to celebrate the coming of the end (of summer). My guest and I shared a Maude's Tower, only the most decadent array of fresh seafood items, (crab, lobster, oysters, mussels, etc,) placed atop a three tier "tower", complete with candles, ice and seaweed. Felt like a queen for a few hours. The server, Lance, was polished and friendly, and the evening was perfect. Thank you Maude's!!Special Features:
- Loved my first visit to Maude's!wackiijackiiDined on 8/19/2014Absolutely loved my first visit to Maude's and I know I'll be back! My friend and I split all the items we got and enjoyed every dish. We ordered one of each oyster, the French Onion Fondue, Steak Tartare, and the Steamed Mussels. My favorite was the Tartare and I recommend squeezing a bit of lemon juice on top to really make the dish pop.Special Features:
- MB13VIPDined on 8/18/2014Food as always very good. Staff is cold, unfriendly and unwelcoming.
- Consistently excellentwinnieDined on 8/16/2014Another fabulous meal! Oysters always amazing, scallops to die for, I dream of the sausage and lentils. Love the use of local, seasonal ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Absolutely love this spot. Wonderful food and great drinks and fun waitstaff. Upstairs is very intimate, downstairs a bit more of a scene. I'm always impressed by the menu and there is always a special that is interesting. The waiters are very knowledgeable both about the drinks and about how the food is prepared -- it makes it a very fun place to be and they are great at letting you take your time.Special Features:
- Romantic, relaxed, deliciousilikefoodDined on 8/15/2014Great resto offering (mostly) authentic French cuisine and an exceptional liquor bar. Ambiance is unmatched. Request upstairs (no promises, but they do what they can to honour your request if upstairs seating is available). Also, make a reservation; this place is quite popular (and for good reason).Special Features:
- awesomespoonwiseDined on 8/15/2014Non pretentious, foodies place, no question. upstairs is quiet and romantic with superb service, downstairs is a great, urban bar area full of local food enthusiasts. Great dishes, great selection of oysters. LOVED the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid spot, but expensiveLeftToBeDesiredDined on 8/14/2014Overall great experience. You pay for the scene and location. Food is always good at Sodokoff restaurants, but I didn't feel like the food was much different than dining at Gilt Bar or even Bavette's in some respects. Will return for special occasions. Service staff was great and knowledgeable. Bartenders were slow and not friendly. Understandably busy, but not hard to make a gesture of "here's a menu and I'll be right with you". Needs work in that area to make an impact. Would rather just go straight to my seat and skip the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and lots of fun!More4drinksDined on 8/14/2014We loved the overall look and feel of the the restaurant. I told our server that I was a pescatarian and they were very helpful in letting me know which options could be done sans meat. I was impressed with everything we ordered and the drinks were delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BootsVIPDined on 8/14/2014Exceptional food though wish there were at least one or two more vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a veganNotforvegansDined on 8/14/2014The only problem was everything was animal based for fried in animal fat or using butter on everything - so i really couldnt eat the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special, MagicalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014We chose Maude's to dine for a special work occasion- the induction of our newest team member. There were 6 of us- perfect because the dishes are all meant for sharing and any more people would not have been as intimate. Service- Daniel, relaxed, personable with excellent descriptions and helpful suggestions. Food- We started with the Maude's tower, an incredibly decadent array of fresh seafood items (lobster, crab, meaty oysters, salmon tartare, mussles) Absolutely fabulous in every way. Followed by Steak Tartare (amazing), Pork shoulder (tender), cassoulet (heart warming and satisfying) and unbelievable lentils. Atmosphere- sparkly and energetic, comfortable at the same time. Favorite restaurant. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014First time here and we would gladly come back again even before trying out other new places. The food was amazing, portions were bigger than the menu would suggest and everything we ate was delicious. The atmosphere inside is fantastic, great lighting, great music and the service from everyone is terrific.Special Features:
- Amazing French cuisine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014The escargot was phenomenal! Will def be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Spot!AMC514Dined on 8/5/2014I went here with my boyfriend for a special date. The waiter was friendly and attentive. Apparently you can also order a $3 shot of whiskey, and they will bring the bottle and let you refill your own shots and then just tell them how many you had. We didn't have many, but we thought this was a cool concept. We sat outside, which was a little quieter than the indoor dining area. We ordered the Seafood Tower, which was pricy, but definitely worth it. The seafood tasted fresh. We then ordered the chocolate mousse for dessert, which was wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant for a date or just a fun night out with friends.Special Features:
- Stifled ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/5/2014The location, atmosphere, food, drinks and bartender were good. However, the elevated attitude of the hostess and waiter stifled our overall experience.
- LakeviewresidentDined on 8/5/2014As always, Maude's was an enjoyable experience. You are definitely my favorite restaurant at the moment!Special Features:
- A great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014Never gets old exploring this menu. Great place to have a leisurely and incredible dinner. Enjoy Maude's more and more every time!Special Features:
- Awesome space, great foodLovetheGyuVIPDined on 8/5/2014French goes tapas with small plates of deliciousness. Great cocktails, good food and a fantastic looking venue. Service is good with staff attentive to serving order considering small plates to be shared.Special Features:
- DelightfulTayloraeVIPDined on 7/30/2014I sat outside for a couple of hours and had escargot, glazed carrots, salmon tartare, and the caramelized onion fondue and sipped a sour beer, the Duchesse De Bourgogne. Heavenly.Special Features: