37 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matyson.com/
- Phone: (215) 564-2925
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm- 8:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Puchowitz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Butch Puchowitz 2155642925x
A word from Matyson
A sophisticated & contemporary BYO, just off Rittenhouse Square, Matyson offers New American cuisine in a casual setting. Innovative weekly tasting menus (available Monday- Thursday) spotlight Chef Ben Puchowitz's creativity of fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matyson - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Matyson reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (76)romantic (58)great for lunch (31)hot spot (21)good for groups (11)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Consistently good BYOB experience in Center CityMicahBVIPDined on 11/23/2014There are not a lot of very good BYOBs in this part of Center City, but Matyson remains a consistently good, sophisticated menu for many years running. On a Sunday night, it remained quite busy. On weekends, you need to book well ahead. I've had the midweek tasting menu--always superb (but only Monday-Thursdays). There is a good variety of first and second courses for every dietary desire. I often find myself bringing out of town visitors here for a good taste of Philly, not a chain and not part of a dining empire. It is never disappointing. And bring a good wine along--you can't beat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matyson is consistently good, never disappointsFoodfanVIPDined on 11/22/2014Not sure why it seemed particularly noisy on Saturday night, more than usual, but it didn't affect our evening. Food and service were brilliant as always. From the starters - gnocchi and smoked salmon, thru to the entrees - venison, baramundie and pumpkin ravioli which interestingly, wasn't made of pasta but of celery root, to the desserts of apple galette and coconut cream pie - we all agreed that this was a wonderful dinner. Friend from England who was with us was very impressed and said she hadn't eaten anything this unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappoinmentredramVIPDined on 11/22/2014After being named one of the top fifty restaurants by Zagat in Philly we were looking forward to revisiting this place (we were here a long time ago). This place is a BYOB with good service but the menu was very limited and the prices high for the amount of food served. My husband's mushroom appetizer was a disaster and my radicchio salad was a big disappointment. Three of the four entrees were served in huge soup bowls and, frankly, it was hard to find the food! My barramundi was sparse and the the vegetables served underneath the fish had very little flavor. The only dish that was attractive, not small and not served in a soup bowl was the chicken special. This restaurant was a big disappointment.
- Excellent as usualMorelSuperiorityDined on 11/21/2014Longtime fan. Great meal as usual. All four in our party were delighted. Red snapper, barramundi perfectly tasty. One disappointment: coconut cream pie was tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for an Anniversary!JamieDDined on 11/19/2014My boyfriend and I spent our Anniversary with Matyson, and they made it perfect. It is quite, and small, so your date will be intimate. They also wrote "Happy Anniversary" on our dessert when we didn't even let them know. I was highly impressed with both the service, and food. Perfect for a special, romantic occasion. Make sure to bring a nice bottle of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Few competitorsBiak66Dined on 11/18/2014Matyson never disappoints, and their tasting menus are always terrific. Since one member of our trio is a pescatarian, they were willing to make a substitution for one course even though this menu is officially substitution-less. The "everything mushroom" tasting menu last week was superb. Matyson is right at the top of the Philadelphia restaurants we enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Everything was amazing from start to finish from the food to service. Our server Adrienne was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightMkgotti81Dined on 11/15/2014Got a reservation for the day before for around 5pm. It was nice and quiet with great service. We'd go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding tasting menuFrankyPhillyVIPDined on 11/11/2014This week's tasting menu, which was dedicated to mushroom, was simply out of this world.Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealFinedinerDined on 11/10/2014A nice dinner but I expected a little more. Restaurant was full on a Monday night and service was top notch. The mushroom app was tasty but a bit on the small side leaving me wanting a few more bites. Osso Bucco should have been better. It was not very tender or moist. Would like to try one of the fish entrees next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!LovetoeatVIPDined on 11/7/2014I come to Philly about 5 times a year and am always trying a new restaurant as Philly is such a foodie city.I have returned to a couple of them to date as I loved them that much. Matyson has now joined my list of restaurants I must return to! Everything we ordered was so interestingly and lovingly prepared. In particular we loved the appetizers we ordered - the duck 2 ways and the veal sweetbreads. And even though not made there, the chef ensures wonderful bread, which he obtains from a bakery in Manhattan.It is wise to pay attention to the bread as that is the first thing you're eating and helps to set the tone for the rest of the meal.And I love that it's a BYOB - I get to use the wines in my collection! Looking forward to a return visit!Special Features:
- Unwelcoming to solo dinersYasminDined on 11/7/2014Great food, beautifully presented. Few glitches, crispy sweetbreads lacked crispiness and were more reminiscent in texture of McDonalds chicken nuggets. Fish course was beautiful. Service patchy, had to ask to order (the restaurant was not even half full). The women servers seemed to spend most of their time chatting - some of the worse service I've had in the USA. Wouldn't go back here.Special Features:
- Great BYOBMort424Dined on 11/6/2014Food was fantastic. Duo of duck was top notch. Pleasant staff and an enjoyable evening. For such well detailed plates the food was remarkably quick. Perfect pace. Don't skip dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Amazing food + love that it's BYOB! The best red snapper I've ever tasted and the gnocchi appetizer was incredibly flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably creative and deliciousPhillyfoodfanVIPDined on 11/1/2014One of my favorite dining places, Matyson is tops on my list for bringing out of town guests of friends who don't know it to prove Philly has a sophisticated and creative food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not best for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014We had lunch and found quality did not match dinner. Soup and calamari were very good, but main courses, including a chicken salad, were disappointing, and not plated or flavored like a high quality restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious evening!TheBigGuyDined on 10/29/2014My wife, son, his girlfriend and I had a great time at Matyson on last Wednesday. We decided to stick with the tasting menu and it was a terrific choice. The presentation was superb and the flavors were even better. Tried a number of new items and I was very happy I did. It was a real treat being surprised with each course. It was an excellent 5-course meal. It is also a BYO which my wife and I prefer. The tasting menu costs $55 dollars but it was well worth it. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyVIPDined on 10/29/2014No matter which day you choose to eat at Matyson, it is always excellent. My friend and I thoroughly enjoy our dinners--she ordered red snapper and I had the osso bucco.Special Features:
- After all these years....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Still a great spot to have dinner. The food and service were spot on and we never wanted for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still worth a visitdenverchowhoundDined on 10/26/2014Hadn't been to Matyson for at least a couple of years, and we always liked it in the past. The restaurant décor seemed darker than we remembered it, and we do think that it could use a brightening. This was a Sunday night meal, and the service was pleasant and pretty efficient--two of us for dinner and we both had the salad, which was very nice--chilled plates, chilled greens, nice stuff in the salad. Our main courses were good, but not great--sea bass and lamb chops, and they overcooked the lamp chops--but we didn't have them do the chops over, and we should have. The mains are a bit pricey for what you get, but flavors are good, and food is fresh. Sea bass had a nice soy glaze, and the chops were nicely flavored, but not medium rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerProntomacVIPDined on 10/25/2014Three of us had a wonderful evening at MATYSON. Our table was ready on time and we were well served by the staff. MATYSON is BYOB so we brought 2 bottles of expensive wine and shared some with our server. Everything we ate was really very good, especially the foie gras real liver, and the fish--I had monkfish which can be testy to cook, but mine was perfect. The chocolate dessert was like Michelin 3 stars! Highly recommend MATYSON. The restaurant is on the small side with high ceiling and tight tables--so staff movement is difficult and noise pretty intense at times--but still this place is worth your time and for return as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visitors' TreatPeterDined on 10/22/2014We had close friends from Detroit visit this week and had a lovely meal at Matyson. It was a cool and rainy evening and the restaurant was quiet; the service outstanding. We all ordered a first course, of which the raddichio and frisee salad was outstanding The main courses ranged from my delicious venison to two osso bucos and a barramundi. One of the guests was lactose intolerant with other dietary issues, and the server and kitchen were remarkably responsive. The result was an entirely satisfying and enjoyable meal for four.Special Features:
- BobbieVIPDined on 10/21/2014We love the food at Matyson. The salmon appetizer was fresh and the flavors melded wonderfully. The pumpkin gnocchi with short ribs, also delicious. My husband had the rack of lamb and I had the veal osso bucco. Both were scrumptious, osso bucco so tender no knife was needed and the medium rare lamb chops were cooked to perfection. We did not have room for dessert, but the cappuchino was hot, foamy and yummy. Every morsel of both our meals was devoured. Service was attentive yet not intrusive - a perfect way to spend our anniversary!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLoganPDined on 10/18/2014Great Restaurant. Very delicious, fun ambiance, diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TanmanDined on 10/15/2014The quality of food and services are great, and it's reasonably priced for lunch. This is a restaurant I would definitely come back again when I next visit Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menufjlind3rdDined on 10/13/2014I love the idea. Maybe I am not familiar enough with tasting menus but all 5 courses were squash based on my visit and it just seemed a little over the top when you have a full menu that allows for greater diversity. We did not order from the tasting menu but ordered from the regular menu and the food was excellent so no complaint there. I just would have preferred 2-3 out of 5 with squash.Special Features:
- California cuisine in PhillyFoodWallahDined on 10/11/2014Matyson is a kind of an outpost of California in downtown Philly -- slick decor, innovative preparations with lots of ingredients, beautiful preparations, hip. BYO a plus.
- Awesome!!!MatthewGavinDined on 10/10/2014I really enjoyed the dinner. I would go back again tomorrow if I could!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced, unremarkable foodLuv2dineDined on 10/10/2014A lot of money for little food and a waiter with attitude. Though friendly at first, the waiter got irritated when my friend asked a few questions about the menu. (Actually, he seemed to be seething underneath. After he left, my friend and I joked that he probably wanted to upend the table on us.) I spent almost $30 for a pork chop entree that had very little else on the plate. My brussels sprouts, for example, were more like a garnish, though the menu had listed them as a side. My dessert (a pumpkin bread pudding) was tasty, but gone in four bites. Overall, the quality of the food was nothing special. Given the number of great restaurants in the area, I won't be returning to or recommending Matyson.
- Lunch at MatysonThreespinsDined on 10/10/2014Everything on the menu looks great. I had the red snapper and it was delicious. My favorite place in Center City Philadelphia for lunch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Always a great spot, just a tad loud for business conversations at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Fabulous!mdiehlDined on 10/8/2014I can't say enough good things about this lovely little restaurant. We arrived early, and were immediately seated. Each course was beautifully presented, and items in them detailed by the server as the tasting menu was written with some French terms. The food was excellent with ingredients complementing and/or accentuating each other. Nothing disappointed, and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- matysoncn71VIPDined on 10/8/2014Excellent as always. Octopus very goos; red snapper outstanding. Service thoughtful and good. As always,a very fine experience.Special Features:
- Wanted it to be greatFoodcentricDined on 9/28/2014Over the last couple of months I have received the tasting emails from Maytson and have continually told myself that I must try it since I have heard so many wonderful things about it. My girlfriend and I went on Sunday night and unfortunately all of the items we ate fell short. The tuna crudo was overwhelmingly spicy and lacked flavor. The octopus was cooked perfectly, this was diminished by the over seasoning, which made it virtually unbearable to finish. Lastly, we had the halibut and steak for dinner and again both were extremely underwhelming. The halibut itself was cooked well, but the components of the dish didn't make sense. The most disappointing dish was the steak, which was severely overcooked. all in all it was a let down.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014surprisingly stellar. I'm often disappointed in restaurant food, however, the food at Matyson's was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never been disappointedDandLDined on 9/26/2014We enjoy taking out-of-town friends to Matyson - the food, service, and ambiance never disappoint. We had a lovely meal with friends newly arrived from China -- a very enjoyable evening, and not a long walk to the orchestra at 8Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel on 19th St.foodiedudieVIPDined on 9/23/2014I love Mattyson. Always a great meal, seasonal, well executed with friendly, knowledgable staff. Can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Our dinner was the best ever. I had poached lobster with angel hair pasta. Incredible! My friend had a fish called Cobie. Also excellent. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- beautifully prepared yummy foodMimsyDined on 9/16/2014It was hard to choose from the interesting menus (tasting menu and full menu). Our choices were excellently prepared and delicious. The courses were well-paced, not too fast, not too slow. We had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- wantsitallVIPDined on 9/14/2014Everything was delicious. Loved it all. Pleased that the restaurant is doing so well.Special Features: