37 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matyson.com/
- Phone: 2155642925x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm- 8:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Puchowitz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Butch Puchowitz 2155642925x
A word from Matyson
A sophisticated & contemporary BYO, just off Rittenhouse Square, Matyson offers New American cuisine in a casual setting. Innovative weekly tasting menus (available Monday- Thursday) spotlight Chef Ben Puchowitz's creativity of fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matyson - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Matyson reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)neighborhood gem (95)special occasion (75)romantic (56)great for lunch (31)hot spot (20)good for groups (9)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A delicious evening!TheBigGuyDined on 10/29/2014My wife, son, his girlfriend and I had a great time at Matyson on last Wednesday. We decided to stick with the tasting menu and it was a terrific choice. The presentation was superb and the flavors were even better. Tried a number of new items and I was very happy I did. It was a real treat being surprised with each course. It was an excellent 5-course meal. It is also a BYO which my wife and I prefer. The tasting menu costs $55 dollars but it was well worth it. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After all these years....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Still a great spot to have dinner. The food and service were spot on and we never wanted for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still worth a visitdenverchowhoundDined on 10/26/2014Hadn't been to Matyson for at least a couple of years, and we always liked it in the past. The restaurant décor seemed darker than we remembered it, and we do think that it could use a brightening. This was a Sunday night meal, and the service was pleasant and pretty efficient--two of us for dinner and we both had the salad, which was very nice--chilled plates, chilled greens, nice stuff in the salad. Our main courses were good, but not great--sea bass and lamb chops, and they overcooked the lamp chops--but we didn't have them do the chops over, and we should have. The mains are a bit pricey for what you get, but flavors are good, and food is fresh. Sea bass had a nice soy glaze, and the chops were nicely flavored, but not medium rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerProntomacVIPDined on 10/25/2014Three of us had a wonderful evening at MATYSON. Our table was ready on time and we were well served by the staff. MATYSON is BYOB so we brought 2 bottles of expensive wine and shared some with our server. Everything we ate was really very good, especially the foie gras real liver, and the fish--I had monkfish which can be testy to cook, but mine was perfect. The chocolate dessert was like Michelin 3 stars! Highly recommend MATYSON. The restaurant is on the small side with high ceiling and tight tables--so staff movement is difficult and noise pretty intense at times--but still this place is worth your time and for return as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visitors' TreatPeterDined on 10/22/2014We had close friends from Detroit visit this week and had a lovely meal at Matyson. It was a cool and rainy evening and the restaurant was quiet; the service outstanding. We all ordered a first course, of which the raddichio and frisee salad was outstanding The main courses ranged from my delicious venison to two osso bucos and a barramundi. One of the guests was lactose intolerant with other dietary issues, and the server and kitchen were remarkably responsive. The result was an entirely satisfying and enjoyable meal for four.Special Features:
- BobbieVIPDined on 10/21/2014We love the food at Matyson. The salmon appetizer was fresh and the flavors melded wonderfully. The pumpkin gnocchi with short ribs, also delicious. My husband had the rack of lamb and I had the veal osso bucco. Both were scrumptious, osso bucco so tender no knife was needed and the medium rare lamb chops were cooked to perfection. We did not have room for dessert, but the cappuchino was hot, foamy and yummy. Every morsel of both our meals was devoured. Service was attentive yet not intrusive - a perfect way to spend our anniversary!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLoganPDined on 10/18/2014Great Restaurant. Very delicious, fun ambiance, diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TanmanDined on 10/15/2014The quality of food and services are great, and it's reasonably priced for lunch. This is a restaurant I would definitely come back again when I next visit Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menufjlind3rdDined on 10/13/2014I love the idea. Maybe I am not familiar enough with tasting menus but all 5 courses were squash based on my visit and it just seemed a little over the top when you have a full menu that allows for greater diversity. We did not order from the tasting menu but ordered from the regular menu and the food was excellent so no complaint there. I just would have preferred 2-3 out of 5 with squash.Special Features:
- California cuisine in PhillyFoodWallahDined on 10/11/2014Matyson is a kind of an outpost of California in downtown Philly -- slick decor, innovative preparations with lots of ingredients, beautiful preparations, hip. BYO a plus.
- Awesome!!!MatthewGavinDined on 10/10/2014I really enjoyed the dinner. I would go back again tomorrow if I could!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced, unremarkable foodLuv2dineDined on 10/10/2014A lot of money for little food and a waiter with attitude. Though friendly at first, the waiter got irritated when my friend asked a few questions about the menu. (Actually, he seemed to be seething underneath. After he left, my friend and I joked that he probably wanted to upend the table on us.) I spent almost $30 for a pork chop entree that had very little else on the plate. My brussels sprouts, for example, were more like a garnish, though the menu had listed them as a side. My dessert (a pumpkin bread pudding) was tasty, but gone in four bites. Overall, the quality of the food was nothing special. Given the number of great restaurants in the area, I won't be returning to or recommending Matyson.
- Lunch at MatysonThreespinsDined on 10/10/2014Everything on the menu looks great. I had the red snapper and it was delicious. My favorite place in Center City Philadelphia for lunch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Always a great spot, just a tad loud for business conversations at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Fabulous!mdiehlDined on 10/8/2014I can't say enough good things about this lovely little restaurant. We arrived early, and were immediately seated. Each course was beautifully presented, and items in them detailed by the server as the tasting menu was written with some French terms. The food was excellent with ingredients complementing and/or accentuating each other. Nothing disappointed, and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- matysoncn71VIPDined on 10/8/2014Excellent as always. Octopus very goos; red snapper outstanding. Service thoughtful and good. As always,a very fine experience.Special Features:
- Wanted it to be greatFoodcentricDined on 9/28/2014Over the last couple of months I have received the tasting emails from Maytson and have continually told myself that I must try it since I have heard so many wonderful things about it. My girlfriend and I went on Sunday night and unfortunately all of the items we ate fell short. The tuna crudo was overwhelmingly spicy and lacked flavor. The octopus was cooked perfectly, this was diminished by the over seasoning, which made it virtually unbearable to finish. Lastly, we had the halibut and steak for dinner and again both were extremely underwhelming. The halibut itself was cooked well, but the components of the dish didn't make sense. The most disappointing dish was the steak, which was severely overcooked. all in all it was a let down.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014surprisingly stellar. I'm often disappointed in restaurant food, however, the food at Matyson's was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never been disappointedDandLDined on 9/26/2014We enjoy taking out-of-town friends to Matyson - the food, service, and ambiance never disappoint. We had a lovely meal with friends newly arrived from China -- a very enjoyable evening, and not a long walk to the orchestra at 8Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel on 19th St.foodiedudieVIPDined on 9/23/2014I love Mattyson. Always a great meal, seasonal, well executed with friendly, knowledgable staff. Can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Our dinner was the best ever. I had poached lobster with angel hair pasta. Incredible! My friend had a fish called Cobie. Also excellent. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- beautifully prepared yummy foodMimsyDined on 9/16/2014It was hard to choose from the interesting menus (tasting menu and full menu). Our choices were excellently prepared and delicious. The courses were well-paced, not too fast, not too slow. We had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- wantsitallVIPDined on 9/14/2014Everything was delicious. Loved it all. Pleased that the restaurant is doing so well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Service was spectacular. Food was stunning. Love it!Special Features:
- Great mealDinerwithpickychildDined on 9/13/2014Food was incredible! And our waitress was exceptional. She really made us feel at home. Hostess was friendly and, again, made us feel welcome. We brought our picky eleven year old, and were not made to feel guilty about that at all! Next time we'll be back, just us.Special Features:
- Ever-changing menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014This week, the tasting menu was crab themed, and it was delicious! My favorite was the crab cake. I'm not a huge fan of soft shell crabs, but I thought the flavor was great. I highly recommend the key lime semifreddo for dessert -- tangy and light, a perfect cap!Special Features:
- Great Food - Lousy service.luv2dineVIPDined on 9/10/2014We've been to Matyson before, and it was wonderful so we made it a special point to go this week because we wanted to do the tasting menu - all crab. The food did not disappoint - it was wonderful - but the service was just awful. Given that it was the tasting menu the waits of almost a half hour between courses were inexcusable. We like to take our time eating and certainly were not expecting fast food but to wait half an hour between courses was just not acceptable. Dinner took nearly 3 hours. The restaurant was not full (Wednesday night) and our table for 2 was in the middle of the room so there was just not excuse for the long waits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Matyson is a gem. My daughter comes from New York just to have dinner at Matyson's. The food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a fine choiceOlliemomDined on 9/8/2014Matyson offers a sophisticated but not too precious menu of eclectic, fresh and appealing entrees, ditto appetizers. Philly needs more reliably good, tasty and relatively affordable spots for a step up in ambiance, without a ton of hoop-la.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningsospeciallDined on 9/6/2014Matyson was absolutely perfect for our special occasion . Our waiter was fabulous even the hostess was wonderful. We arrived early and they let us open our bottle of wine and enjoy it at the front window. Our meal was awesome!We even splurged for dessert which was so worth it.We had the coconut cream pie and the fresh out of the oven almond fig tart! When the dessert came out the pastry chef had decorated our plates with a happy anniversary message . It really was a special evening Thank you all at the Matyson!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperiencedrestauranteeDined on 9/4/2014Delicious and interesting menu. Definitely will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's about the foodAbesbesrfoodDined on 8/30/2014Overlook the noise, dim lighting and deliberate service and enjoy one of Philly's best kitchens. Every item presents new, unexpected pleasures. If you think you like halibut try theirs. Bring your most treasured wine and luxuriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best byoGoodfoodgoodfriendsDined on 8/26/2014We went on a Tuesday night and only half the restaurant was full yet we felt very ignored. The food was subpar from our expectations as we were told it was a great place. I will not be back and will not recommend a friend to go here.Special Features:
- Noisy and unfriendlyKalolaDined on 8/25/2014Great food, but pricey. Unfriendly staff. Rushed us through the meal. Definitely not a place for quiet conversation or relaxation. Next time my mother (from AZ), sister (from VT) and I (from PA) meet in Philly, we will be going back to our favorite, Alma de Cuba.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014This was our first time at this BYOB restaurant. We had been given a gift certificate and used it to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. The arugula salad and the poached lobster entree were absolutely delicious! And parking was easy, as there is a garage across the street. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and be back myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best BYOBsKarlinPhillyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The halibut with roasted grapes was excellent. The goat cheese gnocci was some of the best i have ever tasted.Special Features:
- Innovation at its bestdanieleDined on 8/21/2014We love Matyson. the special menu the chef is concocting every week is always a source of pleasure and allows us to be surprised.. with innovative renditions of dishes highlighting a seasonal ingredient/ the staff is great, sensitive to your needs, full of information on the dishes, welcoming and always helpful. a gem in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2014Matyson is worth at least one trip into town each month from the suburbs. Last visit was on a Wednesday night and the place had plenty of energy. My wife and I went especially for the Greek tasting menu that was being offered - and we were not disappointed. We only wish that the food we experienced when we lived in Greece for 3 years was as good as Matyson's. And a BYOB to boot? This is one restaurant that I never hesitate to recommend to friends, because I know that the overall quality of the experience is consistent. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Evening in Greece, No TravelingNewsyrobVIPDined on 8/20/2014The 5-course chef's tasting menu, centered on Greek food, was excellent. Every plate was outstanding and contrasted well with the one that came before and after. Our server was attentive without hovering, each course was explained simply and thoroughly, and the pace was leisurely. The restaurant graciously substituted fish for a course that contained meat, for a guest who doesn't eat meat; other restaurants allow no substitutions in a chef's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner onlySDsommVIPDined on 8/18/2014Dined last year for the four course dinner option and loved it. Was excited to come back for lunch but was disappointed. Seems to be a dinner-only spot.