37 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matyson.com/
- Phone: 2155642925x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm- 8:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Puchowitz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Butch Puchowitz 2155642925x
A word from Matyson
A sophisticated & contemporary BYO, just off Rittenhouse Square, Matyson offers New American cuisine in a casual setting. Innovative weekly tasting menus (available Monday- Thursday) spotlight Chef Ben Puchowitz's creativity of fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matyson - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Matyson reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (85)romantic (62)great for lunch (35)hot spot (16)good for groups (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Noisy and unfriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014Great food, but pricey. Unfriendly staff. Rushed us through the meal. Definitely not a place for quiet conversation or relaxation. Next time my mother (from AZ), sister (from VT) and I (from PA) meet in Philly, we will be going back to our favorite, Alma de Cuba.
- One of the best BYOBsKarlinPhillyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The halibut with roasted grapes was excellent. The goat cheese gnocci was some of the best i have ever tasted.Special Features:
- Innovation at its bestdanieleDined on 8/21/2014We love Matyson. the special menu the chef is concocting every week is always a source of pleasure and allows us to be surprised.. with innovative renditions of dishes highlighting a seasonal ingredient/ the staff is great, sensitive to your needs, full of information on the dishes, welcoming and always helpful. a gem in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2014Matyson is worth at least one trip into town each month from the suburbs. Last visit was on a Wednesday night and the place had plenty of energy. My wife and I went especially for the Greek tasting menu that was being offered - and we were not disappointed. We only wish that the food we experienced when we lived in Greece for 3 years was as good as Matyson's. And a BYOB to boot? This is one restaurant that I never hesitate to recommend to friends, because I know that the overall quality of the experience is consistent. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Evening in Greece, No TravelingNewsyrobVIPDined on 8/20/2014The 5-course chef's tasting menu, centered on Greek food, was excellent. Every plate was outstanding and contrasted well with the one that came before and after. Our server was attentive without hovering, each course was explained simply and thoroughly, and the pace was leisurely. The restaurant graciously substituted fish for a course that contained meat, for a guest who doesn't eat meat; other restaurants allow no substitutions in a chef's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Dined last year for the four course dinner option and loved it. Was excited to come back for lunch but was disappointed. Seems to be a dinner-only spot.
- Always ExcellentKarenrVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a late Sunday evening reservation. We were promptly seated, as the restaurant was beginning to empty out. I had the Cobia, my husband had the Pork and clams, and our daughters had Halibut - everyone raved about their dinners. We shared an octopus appetizer and that was great as well. As we were the only ones left when we finished our dinner, we were assured by Lauren that we need not rush or feel the need to leave. Lauren was also very helpful explaining the menu and what each dish was specifically. While we have been here many times, we don't usually get the details of the accompaniments - we just order based on the main item. It was useful information. Well done Matyson; can't wait to return!!!Special Features:
- amazingccloveDined on 8/16/2014I've lived in center city >10 years, and this continues to be my favorite restaurant. The food, service and ambiance always exceed my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food - poor lightingGoodEatsLoverDined on 8/16/2014The meal was one of the best I've had anywhere, anytime. Service was attentive and accommodating. I would go back in a second. The only issue is that the lighting is kept so low that it's actually difficult to see the food, let alone read the menu. The kitchen plates the food beautifully, but the effort is wasted due to the lights being so dim. More than a few diners were using their cellphones to light the menus. But the food? Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best byob in PhiladelphiaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia...and it's a byob..you can't beat it! The food is incredible....but honestly, Louis is really what makes our visit special. He is amazing...knows the food inside and out and makes the perfect suggestions...a true foodie like me!Special Features:
- Artful Food after the BarnesappreciativepalateDined on 8/14/2014Tucked a few blocks from Logan Square, Matyson has a short menu of excellent choices from first course to dessert...and an optional tasting menu to boot! It's BYO so you can enjoy just the wine you want without adding big $ to your tab and instead focus on letting them do what they do best - make great food. Like most small places, there are long banquettes so this is not "intimate" dining. But the noise level and energy keep you from feeling as if your conversation is public. And, thanks to the prompt service, everyone has wonderful cuisine to focus on from the start. If you are in the area and can get a reservation, this is not to be missed.Special Features:
- BazkapVIPDined on 8/13/2014The tasting menu satisfied a craving for adventurous dining...all wrapped up in the efficient yet intimately personal staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatJennifercoleDined on 8/11/2014My boyfriend and I always love going to Madison because of the consistently wonderful yet regularly changing cuisine. No dish ever disappoints. A special shout out to Wes for going out of his way to make to make our meal extra special. The scallops he reccomended were the best I had ever had. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 8/11/2014Matyson is our favorite place to eat in Philly. We have never had a bad meal there. The Kale Salad is great! The people that work there are so nice and helpful. We all had fish entrees, they were wonderful especially the halibut. Save room for dessert, you won't be disappointed! BYOB doesn't hurt either.Special Features:
- LunchBJ1501Dined on 8/4/2014I love going to Matyson for lunch. The food is great and the prices are low for the quality of food. It's also a nice change from the typically bar/restaurants in the area. The people that work there are amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAdinemuDined on 8/2/2014The food was wonderful, but the lighting was extreme dim. I had a hard time seeing what I was eating. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsWelbyDined on 8/2/2014The food and ambiance were fantastic. The portions are on the small side, but we didn't leave hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resting on their laurelsDemandingDinerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Place is still popular - mobbed on a mid-week July evening. However, servers need to pay more attention to when they fire orders. Our main courses were obviously cooked and held in the kitchen long before we had finished our starters. As a result, my strip steak (ordered "on the rare side of medium rare") was barely pink by the time that it arrived. To their credit, they offered to replace it. However, my friend discovered that his fish was totally dried out from the extended hold, though he did not request a replacement. Aside from this, none of our dishes were anything special. There are now just too many other superior options at this price point.
- Saturday at MatysonDeerapDined on 7/26/2014As always, dinner was delicious at Matyson. I love that there are always new options on the menu. The service was fabulous and our table was ready for our 8:00 p.m. reservation. I did notice that it was a little darker, but it is one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent meals and serviceDataRiskMgrVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I loved our entrees and she especially loved the coconut cream pie. "Oh, to go off your diet for!"Special Features:
- Our Center City FaveCowPenaltyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Matyson is an absolute gem, consistently serving delicious and imaginative fare with nary a hint of pretension. The regular menus are solid and the tasting menus are always fun and exciting. The staff are wonderful, friendly, informative and attentive, but never overbearing. Pricing is also extremely reasonable. Definitely our favorite Center City restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexRDined on 7/23/2014Matyson never disappoints in any category. Kitchen creativity at its fines with waitstaff aware and descriptive of what is being served. Portions are just right and, because one knows what the special meal is that particular week, one knows which wine will compliment it best. Love Matyson and will be going more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderratedRobertDined on 7/23/2014Despite being on the last couple best restaurants in Philly lists, I feel that this unassuming restaurant doesn't get the publicity it deserves. The lunch menu is great and very reasonably priced, and they create unique dishes for their dinner menu. A great spot!Special Features:
- nice placenicoDined on 7/19/2014Food was good, quite small servings, service was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceshinebright51Dined on 7/18/2014My waitress was very accommodating. Our meal was great. I didn't like the gazpacho but everything else was good. It seemed like people that worked there, enjoyed working thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent business lunchSuperIridiumDined on 7/16/2014Super food, awesome service. Just a little bit loud, but not really a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve from BucksBucksPADined on 7/13/2014Our first visit to this small and notable BYOB. Excellent, friendly service. Interesting menu choices; all dishes had something a little "surprising" about ingredients or presentation, like pickled watermelon with octopus, crispy pork cubes with clams. Some might say portions are small but they were right for our preference. Slightly higher prices than other BYO's we like in Philly. Will love to go back.Special Features:
- great fooddjmysticvibesDined on 7/12/2014The food was great. I will definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I went with another couple this past weekend at the recommendation of a friend. We love that it's a BYOB and we really loved the food! We ordered several appetizers to split and all of them were fantastic, as were the entrees. Louis was our waiter, he and the rest of the staff took great care of us!Special Features:
- BESTsusieDined on 7/11/2014Absolutely wonderful in every way - loved the food And the ambiance. Only problem we had was with the noise level. But still worth the trip.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsSarita2882Dined on 7/8/2014I love this place! It is great for lunch or dinner so long as you BYOB! The ever-changing seasonal menu is always excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerPhillyGirlVIPDined on 7/7/2014Went on a Monday night, many restaurants are closed, not too crowded, got a great table. Food was delicious! Service was impeccable. BYO so the wine was great, I brought it. Looking for the tasting menu as I had heard good things about it. Unfortunately none this week. Looking forward to going back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!FoodiechickDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant is delicious. The problem I had with this place is that it is so dark that it's hard to see the food! We had an amazing meal and I would go back again but would ask for some candles on the table so we could see our food a little better!Special Features:
- Great Food, But Loud PeopleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I ate here for the first time last week during our annual Philly visit. The food was truly remarkable. The significant drawback is that these folks cram too many people in too close. Seems that the people eating there were less interested in the food than hearing themselves yell to one another. Too loud to be at all enjoyable, regardless of how good the food was. Also, the lighting was so poor that I had difficulty reading the menu and the bill. Could be great, but not yet.Special Features:
- Not impressedEatingOutDined on 7/2/2014This was one of our worst dining experiences ever. The food (lobster tasting menu) was okay, but not amazing. Our main issue was the service. It appears that Matyson organizes its tasting menu so as to have a production line system (efficiency--saving pans and kitchen energy). What did this mean for us? Ours was "paired" with tables that had arrived between 30 minutes and an hour after we had. Our observations and conversation with the attendant confirmed our suspicion. We waited for 25 minutes between each diminutive course. Add a noisy environment where you have to plead for attention, and you have a nightmare of a $100 (BYO) meal. Having waited tables myself I'm very generous with tips, but here we left no tip and an explanatory note.
- BazkapVIPDined on 7/2/2014The pris fixe, as always, was adventuresome and delicious. A best deal in town. Service was very personable yet very proficient. Matyson stays at the top of my list.Special Features:
- lobster tasting menuLobsterVIPDined on 7/1/2014Have had it before and this one was especially creative! Loved our meal!Special Features:
- Favorite BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014Matyson is our favorite BYOB! Servers are friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Food is always delicious. We love Matyson!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutVIPDined on 6/25/2014This is a lunch review. I often have lunch at Matyson because the food is always interesting, there is enough diversity to meet anyone's needs, and service is good. What else does anyone need?Special Features:
- A "Bucket List" disappointmntRichieRichDined on 6/21/2014Matyson proved to be a real disappointment. Sadly, the location is on the wrong side of Rittenhouse Square, an unattractive bus route near a Starbucks. As we began to relax over wine, we were told after less than 15 minutes that we would have to order soon because they would need to turn the table over within the hour. That was kind of the deal breaker right up front in. No one wants a time clock started before they have even had dinner. It was that way all evening, a feeling of being rushed, yet with an air of arrogance. This is not a place to return to or recommend.