37 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matyson.com/
- Phone: 2155642925x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm- 8:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Puchowitz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Butch Puchowitz 2155642925x
A word from Matyson
A sophisticated & contemporary BYO, just off Rittenhouse Square, Matyson offers New American cuisine in a casual setting. Innovative weekly tasting menus (available Monday- Thursday) spotlight Chef Ben Puchowitz's creativity of fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matyson - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Matyson reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)neighborhood gem (98)special occasion (82)romantic (57)great for lunch (29)hot spot (15)good for groups (10)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wanted it to be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Over the last couple of months I have received the tasting emails from Maytson and have continually told myself that I must try it since I have heard so many wonderful things about it. My girlfriend and I went on Sunday night and unfortunately all of the items we ate fell short. The tuna crudo was overwhelmingly spicy and lacked flavor. The octopus was cooked perfectly, this was diminished by the over seasoning, which made it virtually unbearable to finish. Lastly, we had the halibut and steak for dinner and again both were extremely underwhelming. The halibut itself was cooked well, but the components of the dish didn't make sense. The most disappointing dish was the steak, which was severely overcooked. all in all it was a let down.
- never been disappointedDandLDined on 9/26/2014We enjoy taking out-of-town friends to Matyson - the food, service, and ambiance never disappoint. We had a lovely meal with friends newly arrived from China -- a very enjoyable evening, and not a long walk to the orchestra at 8Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel on 19th St.foodiedudieVIPDined on 9/23/2014I love Mattyson. Always a great meal, seasonal, well executed with friendly, knowledgable staff. Can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Our dinner was the best ever. I had poached lobster with angel hair pasta. Incredible! My friend had a fish called Cobie. Also excellent. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- beautifully prepared yummy foodMimsyDined on 9/16/2014It was hard to choose from the interesting menus (tasting menu and full menu). Our choices were excellently prepared and delicious. The courses were well-paced, not too fast, not too slow. We had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- wantsitallVIPDined on 9/14/2014Everything was delicious. Loved it all. Pleased that the restaurant is doing so well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Service was spectacular. Food was stunning. Love it!Special Features:
- Great mealDinerwithpickychildDined on 9/13/2014Food was incredible! And our waitress was exceptional. She really made us feel at home. Hostess was friendly and, again, made us feel welcome. We brought our picky eleven year old, and were not made to feel guilty about that at all! Next time we'll be back, just us.Special Features:
- Ever-changing menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014This week, the tasting menu was crab themed, and it was delicious! My favorite was the crab cake. I'm not a huge fan of soft shell crabs, but I thought the flavor was great. I highly recommend the key lime semifreddo for dessert -- tangy and light, a perfect cap!Special Features:
- Great Food - Lousy service.luv2dineVIPDined on 9/10/2014We've been to Matyson before, and it was wonderful so we made it a special point to go this week because we wanted to do the tasting menu - all crab. The food did not disappoint - it was wonderful - but the service was just awful. Given that it was the tasting menu the waits of almost a half hour between courses were inexcusable. We like to take our time eating and certainly were not expecting fast food but to wait half an hour between courses was just not acceptable. Dinner took nearly 3 hours. The restaurant was not full (Wednesday night) and our table for 2 was in the middle of the room so there was just not excuse for the long waits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Matyson is a gem. My daughter comes from New York just to have dinner at Matyson's. The food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a fine choiceOlliemomDined on 9/8/2014Matyson offers a sophisticated but not too precious menu of eclectic, fresh and appealing entrees, ditto appetizers. Philly needs more reliably good, tasty and relatively affordable spots for a step up in ambiance, without a ton of hoop-la.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningsospeciallDined on 9/6/2014Matyson was absolutely perfect for our special occasion . Our waiter was fabulous even the hostess was wonderful. We arrived early and they let us open our bottle of wine and enjoy it at the front window. Our meal was awesome!We even splurged for dessert which was so worth it.We had the coconut cream pie and the fresh out of the oven almond fig tart! When the dessert came out the pastry chef had decorated our plates with a happy anniversary message . It really was a special evening Thank you all at the Matyson!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperiencedrestauranteeDined on 9/4/2014Delicious and interesting menu. Definitely will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's about the foodAbesbesrfoodDined on 8/30/2014Overlook the noise, dim lighting and deliberate service and enjoy one of Philly's best kitchens. Every item presents new, unexpected pleasures. If you think you like halibut try theirs. Bring your most treasured wine and luxuriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best byoGoodfoodgoodfriendsDined on 8/26/2014We went on a Tuesday night and only half the restaurant was full yet we felt very ignored. The food was subpar from our expectations as we were told it was a great place. I will not be back and will not recommend a friend to go here.Special Features:
- Noisy and unfriendlyKalolaDined on 8/25/2014Great food, but pricey. Unfriendly staff. Rushed us through the meal. Definitely not a place for quiet conversation or relaxation. Next time my mother (from AZ), sister (from VT) and I (from PA) meet in Philly, we will be going back to our favorite, Alma de Cuba.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014This was our first time at this BYOB restaurant. We had been given a gift certificate and used it to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. The arugula salad and the poached lobster entree were absolutely delicious! And parking was easy, as there is a garage across the street. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and be back myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best BYOBsKarlinPhillyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The halibut with roasted grapes was excellent. The goat cheese gnocci was some of the best i have ever tasted.Special Features:
- Innovation at its bestdanieleDined on 8/21/2014We love Matyson. the special menu the chef is concocting every week is always a source of pleasure and allows us to be surprised.. with innovative renditions of dishes highlighting a seasonal ingredient/ the staff is great, sensitive to your needs, full of information on the dishes, welcoming and always helpful. a gem in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2014Matyson is worth at least one trip into town each month from the suburbs. Last visit was on a Wednesday night and the place had plenty of energy. My wife and I went especially for the Greek tasting menu that was being offered - and we were not disappointed. We only wish that the food we experienced when we lived in Greece for 3 years was as good as Matyson's. And a BYOB to boot? This is one restaurant that I never hesitate to recommend to friends, because I know that the overall quality of the experience is consistent. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Evening in Greece, No TravelingNewsyrobVIPDined on 8/20/2014The 5-course chef's tasting menu, centered on Greek food, was excellent. Every plate was outstanding and contrasted well with the one that came before and after. Our server was attentive without hovering, each course was explained simply and thoroughly, and the pace was leisurely. The restaurant graciously substituted fish for a course that contained meat, for a guest who doesn't eat meat; other restaurants allow no substitutions in a chef's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Dined last year for the four course dinner option and loved it. Was excited to come back for lunch but was disappointed. Seems to be a dinner-only spot.
- Always ExcellentKarenrVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a late Sunday evening reservation. We were promptly seated, as the restaurant was beginning to empty out. I had the Cobia, my husband had the Pork and clams, and our daughters had Halibut - everyone raved about their dinners. We shared an octopus appetizer and that was great as well. As we were the only ones left when we finished our dinner, we were assured by Lauren that we need not rush or feel the need to leave. Lauren was also very helpful explaining the menu and what each dish was specifically. While we have been here many times, we don't usually get the details of the accompaniments - we just order based on the main item. It was useful information. Well done Matyson; can't wait to return!!!Special Features:
- amazingccloveDined on 8/16/2014I've lived in center city >10 years, and this continues to be my favorite restaurant. The food, service and ambiance always exceed my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food - poor lightingGoodEatsLoverDined on 8/16/2014The meal was one of the best I've had anywhere, anytime. Service was attentive and accommodating. I would go back in a second. The only issue is that the lighting is kept so low that it's actually difficult to see the food, let alone read the menu. The kitchen plates the food beautifully, but the effort is wasted due to the lights being so dim. More than a few diners were using their cellphones to light the menus. But the food? Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best byob in PhiladelphiaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia...and it's a byob..you can't beat it! The food is incredible....but honestly, Louis is really what makes our visit special. He is amazing...knows the food inside and out and makes the perfect suggestions...a true foodie like me!Special Features:
- Artful Food after the BarnesappreciativepalateDined on 8/14/2014Tucked a few blocks from Logan Square, Matyson has a short menu of excellent choices from first course to dessert...and an optional tasting menu to boot! It's BYO so you can enjoy just the wine you want without adding big $ to your tab and instead focus on letting them do what they do best - make great food. Like most small places, there are long banquettes so this is not "intimate" dining. But the noise level and energy keep you from feeling as if your conversation is public. And, thanks to the prompt service, everyone has wonderful cuisine to focus on from the start. If you are in the area and can get a reservation, this is not to be missed.Special Features:
- BazkapVIPDined on 8/13/2014The tasting menu satisfied a craving for adventurous dining...all wrapped up in the efficient yet intimately personal staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatJennifercoleDined on 8/11/2014My boyfriend and I always love going to Madison because of the consistently wonderful yet regularly changing cuisine. No dish ever disappoints. A special shout out to Wes for going out of his way to make to make our meal extra special. The scallops he reccomended were the best I had ever had. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 8/11/2014Matyson is our favorite place to eat in Philly. We have never had a bad meal there. The Kale Salad is great! The people that work there are so nice and helpful. We all had fish entrees, they were wonderful especially the halibut. Save room for dessert, you won't be disappointed! BYOB doesn't hurt either.Special Features:
- LunchBJ1501Dined on 8/4/2014I love going to Matyson for lunch. The food is great and the prices are low for the quality of food. It's also a nice change from the typically bar/restaurants in the area. The people that work there are amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAdinemuDined on 8/2/2014The food was wonderful, but the lighting was extreme dim. I had a hard time seeing what I was eating. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsWelbyDined on 8/2/2014The food and ambiance were fantastic. The portions are on the small side, but we didn't leave hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resting on their laurelsDemandingDinerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Place is still popular - mobbed on a mid-week July evening. However, servers need to pay more attention to when they fire orders. Our main courses were obviously cooked and held in the kitchen long before we had finished our starters. As a result, my strip steak (ordered "on the rare side of medium rare") was barely pink by the time that it arrived. To their credit, they offered to replace it. However, my friend discovered that his fish was totally dried out from the extended hold, though he did not request a replacement. Aside from this, none of our dishes were anything special. There are now just too many other superior options at this price point.
- Saturday at MatysonDeerapDined on 7/26/2014As always, dinner was delicious at Matyson. I love that there are always new options on the menu. The service was fabulous and our table was ready for our 8:00 p.m. reservation. I did notice that it was a little darker, but it is one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent meals and serviceDataRiskMgrVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I loved our entrees and she especially loved the coconut cream pie. "Oh, to go off your diet for!"Special Features:
- Our Center City FaveCowPenaltyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Matyson is an absolute gem, consistently serving delicious and imaginative fare with nary a hint of pretension. The regular menus are solid and the tasting menus are always fun and exciting. The staff are wonderful, friendly, informative and attentive, but never overbearing. Pricing is also extremely reasonable. Definitely our favorite Center City restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexRDined on 7/23/2014Matyson never disappoints in any category. Kitchen creativity at its fines with waitstaff aware and descriptive of what is being served. Portions are just right and, because one knows what the special meal is that particular week, one knows which wine will compliment it best. Love Matyson and will be going more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderratedRobertDined on 7/23/2014Despite being on the last couple best restaurants in Philly lists, I feel that this unassuming restaurant doesn't get the publicity it deserves. The lunch menu is great and very reasonably priced, and they create unique dishes for their dinner menu. A great spot!Special Features: