Matt's Red Rooster Grill
22 Bloomfield Avenue
Flemington, NJ 08822Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Matt's Red Rooster Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mattsredroostergrill.com/
- Phone: 9087887050
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - Close, Saturday: 5:00pm - Close, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew McPherson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Matt’s Red Rooster Grill is the perfect venue for private parties, business luncheons, or corporate events. Whatever the occasion, it is our pleasure to create a culinary celebration for you and your guests to enjoy together. Private dining room available that holds up to 12 guests. Upstairs dining room available for parties up to 40-55.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Pollitt 908-788-7050
- Special Events: Join us for Ladies Night Out or Guys Night Out where we offer a special menu and reserve the upstairs dining room just for you and your friends. Sign up on our email list to stay informed of these and other events including wine tasting dinners and more.
A word from Matt's Red Rooster Grill
Matt’s Red Rooster Grill is a contemporary American bistro paying homage to a wood fired grill that “brings out the best flavors” of traditional American cuisine, reinvented creatively. A CIA (Hyde Park) graduate, Chef Matt McPherson stays true to his local roots integrating the finest seasonal ingredients, sourced from local family farms & day boat fisherman into his unique dishes. The restored Victorian home provides a relaxed elegant atmosphere to catch up with friends, celebrate special occasions, enjoy a romantic dinner, or impress an important client. As Matt’s creations pamper your taste buds, the staff indulges you with rock star service, the perfect remedy for a long day or week. With two floors, downstairs feeds off the warmth & energy of a bustling open kitchen. Four seats at the Chef's counter let you feel the heat, as you watch Matt & his team from a perch over the grill. Upstairs is away from the bustle while the porch provides relaxed & refreshing outdoor dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matt's Red Rooster Grill - Best Restaurants in Flemington ›
Matt's Red Rooster Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)neighborhood gem (122)fit for foodies (108)romantic (74)great for outdoor dining (42)good for groups (35)hot spot (17)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- SomervillianDined on 9/18/2014While I was grateful to snag a reservation at Matt's, sitting upstairs is a distant experience from watching the artistry in the open kitchen downstairs. Service was slow. Dinner was good, and I was disappointed to find that when I took some of my dinner home, not all of it was in the take home dish!!! Vegetables were not there.
- Excellent dining experienceEHBranchburgVIPDined on 9/18/2014Excellent, enjoyable dining experience - excellent food with top notch service. Both the Ahi tuna abd the Ribeye entrees were prepared and presented perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AaabbbAaabbbDined on 9/16/2014Some of the best dishes in NJ, fresh and local ingredients, attentive service. A great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent!JennyDined on 9/13/2014I love it here. We always have a great meal and I love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 michelin star in FlemingtonDRMJC18Dined on 9/12/2014Matt Red Rooster should be considered one of the best restaurants in New Jersey and rivals the starred ones in New York. Artistic food presentation, light and diverse sauces , and a blend of international flavors. Its a BYOB- Dr. MSpecial Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Great place. Excellent food, diverse menu. Will come back and bring friends from the Union County area. There were so many items I would have chosen. Nice setting too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Matt's Red Rooster is consistently DELICIOUS with outstanding service!! Matt is a an AMAZING chef/owner!! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Our first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014A little overrated a lot of people brag about the place but I felt the menu was limited and the sides are small portions. There were not any "common" items on the menu for anyone that does not like "fancy" food, but the food was good and the service was excellent. Also loved the décor it is very cozy considering it's a house turned into a restaurant. We are regulars at the Sergeantsville Inn where they have an alternate "bar" menu with lower scale items that makes it easy for anyone to enjoy, we were glad we didn't bring our daughter she would not have eaten anything.Special Features:
- Great for special occasions!GrannyGDined on 9/2/2014We enjoy celebrating our anniversary and other special occasions at Matt's Red Rooster. Food is wonderful, and wait staff are always attentive.Special Features:
- Great Food and atmospheretrophyjimDined on 8/31/2014If you haven't tried Matt's Red Rooster you are missing out. The food is excellent, the waitstaff is attentive and very friendly and make great recommendations. Whether it is date night or a business meeting you will be sure to impress by taking your guests to Matt's Red Rooster. Get a reservation though this place books up quickly.Special Features:
- Matt's Red Rooster 3rd visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Just completed a third dinner, re-confirming the first two experiences. Uniformly excellent fare, knowledgeable friendly service, comfortable atmosphere, professional, accomplished clientele but in a casual, relaxed setting. It's doubtful one will find a better restaurant choice within this community.Special Features:
- Matt's RR ReviewGenniferDined on 8/29/2014We read many, many reviews and heard great things about Matt's; however, our meal was just average. My husband's steak was a thin cut and the overall appearance was lacking. Upstairs was nice but downstairs is the "place to be" to see the action of the cooking. Our server was "all business" and didn't engage in small talk at all. Overall, we liked it but wouldn't rush back considering it was a 20+ minute drive for us.
- FantasticRoyDenDined on 8/28/2014Great place for a fine dining experience. Food is fantastic. Outdoor and downstairs tables are great. Service was very nice. One negative comment though. We made reservations for outside tables and waited 40 min till they could seat us.Special Features:
- Excellent high-end choicepdorfmanDined on 8/28/2014Flemington is charming, but the restaurant pickings are thinner than one would expect. Matt's may be the best choice in town. The menu is conventional but the food is excellent, the presentation lovely, the service cheerful and competent, and the decor (Victorian house) very pleasant. If it's a nice evening, you'll have to book well in advance to get a table outdoors on the porch. BYOB. Prices are a little above average.Special Features:
- DREWSIVEDined on 8/27/2014Great food and great ambiance. Also, it's a BYOB-what more can you ask for. One of the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014I have been several times and will continue to go several more times. The food and service is impeccable. You leave there feeling extremely satisfied especially knowing it was worth every penny!Special Features:
- Matt's Red RoosterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food, excellent service. Very friendly and great atmosphere. This is on high end of price and we will keep this as a special occasion type of place but we celebrated our anniversary and when they brought out dessert the plate said Happy Anniversary. They made it a great experience. The waiter was awesome, explained in detail all of the dishes and was very attentive and personable. I would highly recommend this restaurant in every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers are the BEST!MamaKDined on 8/24/2014Our entrees were delicious but the appetizers, soups and salads were the stars of the meal! A great casual fine dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.foodloverDined on 8/23/2014Ambiance was wonderful, service was great, dinner was incredible. I could not say enough great things about this restaurant!!!Special Features:
- got2BrealDined on 8/23/2014Terrific! Upstairs dining room is a bit stodgy but downstairs & porch are lively & fun. Food was delicious & service was excellent. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentChrisDined on 8/23/2014Matt's is a must. Every dish is a delight and the service is always outstanding!Special Features:
- Superb as alwaystenorcnjDined on 8/20/2014Brought our best friends out to our favorite Flemington dining spot to celebrate a birthday. Our meal was delicious, delicious, delicious! Service was very friendly and well versed in the menu, accommodating our requests for modifications and omissions with aplomb. We cannot wait to get back here again. That sous-vide!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripdiningoutDined on 8/19/2014Took a 2 hour ride to dine and enjoyed the food, service and overall charm of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look forward to a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014We were happy with our meal . We have eaten here three times on each of our visits to Flemington from Long Island. We like the food and service. It is also a good looking environment.it is quiet enough for adult conversationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingdna0113Dined on 8/17/2014One word says it all....Excellent. You will be glad you chose this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the most partLocalsDined on 8/17/2014We were celebrating a special occasion- Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodskardmVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have never been disappointed with a dinner at Matt's. This time our server was another asset to their already fine dining. Apps we loved were the grilled romaine and the tuna tartare with avocado. The ribs were the best I've had, and they were cooked to perfection and fell off the bone. Others at the table enjoyed the sea bass. BYO and their parking lot is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt's RedRooster never disappointsMDL7Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I frequent Matt's Red Rooster several times a year. Our recent visit was great as always. The food was superb (I had the NY strip and my wife had the ribs). I had requested a table on the first floor near a window and we were seated right there-perfect for a romantic dinner for two. Service was excellent. We will continue to patronize this wonderful restaurant and look forward to our next visit. Five stars all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningLark5Dined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious and the service was perfect. But as the room filled up, the noise level increased.Special Features:
- Cleo59Dined on 8/13/2014It was hard to make a choice - from the salads to the entrees to the desserts! It was all AMAZING!Special Features:
- Great Experience!LD42Dined on 8/13/2014Everything was absolutely amazing. We had the Grilled Romain Salad which was simple yet unique. The entree I ordered was one of their specials - it was a rather large pork chop stuffed with bacon, cheddar cheese and caramelized onions with a bone marrow sauce on top. It was just so delicious. My husband ordered the 30 day aged porterhouse steak and it was grilled to perfection. Our waiter, Dave was extremely nice and he was the icing on the cake making our entire dining experience a great one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem in Downtown FlemingtonGentlemanFarmerDined on 8/10/2014We'd tried to get last minute reservations on 3 previous occasions over the past couple dozen months, but had not been successful. Fourth time was a charm as we planned a little further ahead and we were rewarded for our persistence. The food was very good at a commensurate price. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We had, by our choice, a relaxing slow luxurious dinner, sipping our favorite BYO Pinot Grigio and later splurging on desserts. Overhearing that we were celebrating our anniversary, the dessert came on wonderfully hand drizzled plates that splashed "Happy Anniversary" around the border. We are looking forward to coming back to explore further across the menu. P.S. The lobster bisque puree was crazy good.Special Features:
- Fresh!Fresh!Fresh!SaratogaSummerDined on 8/10/2014Everything was a delight and fresh. Extremely flavorful. I actually loved The Hudson Valley foi gras slightly more grilled. The flavor was wonderful and the liver perfect. Wish the watermelon was optional. Some of us don't like the tomato Caprese violated. Otherwise I am sure it was a great change. I would have tried it but there were so many other choices. I want to come back and back and back! :)Special Features:
- Great Steaks!LuvGoodFoodnWineDined on 8/9/2014We love Matts. Go there for Bithdays anniversary or just when we want fine dining. Grilled Romaine is another favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014We went for the four course corn "tasting" menu. It was delicious, and an incredible value at $44. Each course was a full size portion. Well worth the 40 minute drive.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Matt's continues to impress with his specials and unique dining experience menusSpecial Features:
- KathDined on 8/6/2014always interesting choices and delicious food. we look forward to going there again..Special Features:
- PerfecteatlocalDined on 8/6/2014The atmosphere is upscale casual. Even when full & busy, the noise level is low. The food is usually local, always the freshest & perfectly prepared, cooked & seasoned. The staff is top-notch professional. Matt is doing what he loves & is Flemington's greatest asset. He is pleasant, friendly & always accessible. All of his offerings: tasting dinners, mid-week specials, charity events have been phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic !Nancy46Dined on 8/5/2014The staff is knowledgeable and available for discussion on the menu. The wines are from a local winery and they are all quite good but if you have a favorite wine, bring it with you. The food selections are interesting and tempt the most distinguished pallet. The creme brûlée and chocolate peanut butter bomb are two of my favorite desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.