Matt's Red Rooster Grill
22 Bloomfield Avenue
Flemington, NJ 08822Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Matt's Red Rooster Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mattsredroostergrill.com/
- Phone: (908) 788-7050
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - Close, Saturday: 5:00pm - Close, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew McPherson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Matt’s Red Rooster Grill is the perfect venue for private parties, business luncheons, or corporate events. Whatever the occasion, it is our pleasure to create a culinary celebration for you and your guests to enjoy together. Private dining room available that holds up to 12 guests. Upstairs dining room available for parties up to 40-55.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Pollitt 908-788-7050
- Special Events: Join us for Ladies Night Out or Guys Night Out where we offer a special menu and reserve the upstairs dining room just for you and your friends. Sign up on our email list to stay informed of these and other events including wine tasting dinners and more.
A word from Matt's Red Rooster Grill
Matt’s Red Rooster Grill is a contemporary American bistro paying homage to a wood fired grill that “brings out the best flavors” of traditional American cuisine, reinvented creatively. A CIA (Hyde Park) graduate, Chef Matt McPherson stays true to his local roots integrating the finest seasonal ingredients, sourced from local family farms & day boat fisherman into his unique dishes. The restored Victorian home provides a relaxed elegant atmosphere to catch up with friends, celebrate special occasions, enjoy a romantic dinner, or impress an important client. As Matt’s creations pamper your taste buds, the staff indulges you with rock star service, the perfect remedy for a long day or week. With two floors, downstairs feeds off the warmth & energy of a bustling open kitchen. Four seats at the Chef's counter let you feel the heat, as you watch Matt & his team from a perch over the grill. Upstairs is away from the bustle while the porch provides relaxed & refreshing outdoor dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matt's Red Rooster Grill - Best Restaurants in Flemington ›
Matt's Red Rooster Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (110)special occasion (106)fit for foodies (106)romantic (61)good for groups (37)great for outdoor dining (27)hot spot (19)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Average food, above average costHeatherDined on 11/21/2014I was surprised and disappointed. Salad mediocre...nothing interesting offered and bland dressing. Salmon was fishy. Scallop appetizer special was very good. Chicken dinner was ordinary. I expected so much more from what I've heard is the best restaurant in Hunterdon. Blue Fish is much better at a fraction of the cost.
- Perfectbadude01Dined on 11/16/2014Our second time eating here and even better than the first! Our waiter Jude was fabulous and even remembered us from last time. She made us feel special. The food was amazing! The pork chop was perfect oozing cheddar and bacon and tuna had such flavor! Going back next week!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine except for the noise level!GrammyLDined on 11/15/2014We had an enjoyable evening here with two friends. Everything we ordered (lobster tail, striped bass, filet mignon, strip steak was good and nicely presented. Desserts (chocolate caramel gelato) was excellent as was the apple cobbler. The only thing to carp about was the noise level--it was hard to have a conversation. However, I imagine that a night other than Sat. might be a tad less noisy. This will not prevent us from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent.PatandStacyDined on 11/15/2014The food and service at Matt's Red Rooster Grill have been consistently excellent every time we visit. Every time we eat there we wonder why we don't eat there more frequently. The menu is a nice combination of classic standards and interesting specials and they cook steaks and fish equally well. tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LydiaDined on 11/15/2014Oustanding food with a wonderful service staff who were more than attentive. When I made the reservation I mentioned that one of my guests had a severe food allergy. When we were seated the waitress mentioned the waitress mentioned this and discussed the menu with him. That made for a stressfreee experience. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatjamkDined on 11/15/2014Excellent food accompanied by excellent service. And being a BYOB, for us it is a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic place, everything great.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014BYO, amazing food, attentive service and super comfortable seating/ambiance. Even when the restaurant is packed the acoustics are amazing - you can not hear anyone around you if you are chatting at your table. Order the specials - never have been even slightly disappointed, especially the a la carte menu regular items. Cozy restaurant, wood crackling from the open kitchen....I have been there a handful of times and never ever questioned returning for another amazing meal. PS - we go out about 6 nights a week and rarely eat lunch at home. We frequent many many area restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt's is fantastic and creativelovebyowDined on 11/11/2014We love the explosion of favors Matt comes up with each time we have gone! All dishes cooked to perfection! The service is attentive, and friendly. And you can bring your wine, and they will decant it for you. Can not wait to go back again, highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner.KBFoodAdventuresDined on 11/8/2014We had a late dinner at the tail end of Restaurant Week. Both had the special price fix menu. The grilled romaine salad was fantastic. I had the pork tenderloin. Huge portion, and so tender and flavorful. Hubby had filet kabobs and was a bit disappointed. The meat was unevenly sized, so some pieces were overdone and some were under. Super strong onions took over everything. He helped me finish my pork. For dessert we both picked the bread pudding and coffee. So good. BYOB or buy a bottle there from a local winery. We were visiting the area for the weekend and we are so glad we found Matt's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always Excellently!ChrisDined on 11/8/2014Great food and service as always!!! Matt's is consistently a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANthonyDined on 11/7/2014Always enjoy matts never disappoints can't wait to go back real soonSpecial Features:
- Fabulous DinnernbivonaDined on 11/6/2014As always fabulous food! We went during Restaurant Week and enjoyed the option of that menu as well as the regular menu. It was crowded, but the service was great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/6/2014Although our table was tight to an adjacent table and a member of my party was forced to move several times for other patrons, the staff at Matt's was very nice about it and comped us coffee and dessert. Everybody loved their food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2014I left the first time raving how wonderful it was. This second time we ate from the price fix menu. My husbands choices tasted all delicious. My salad wasnt as good as first visit, the filet mignon kabob was a bit disappointing, one of the three pieces was fatty. And my flour less choc cake wasn't as good as my first visit. My husband said my taste buds may have been off, but he didn't sample any of my food to know for sure, lol.Special Features:
- 25th Anniversary dinnerdiscriminatingDined on 11/5/2014Just outstanding all around. delightful ambiance, delicious food, perfect atmosphere. We had a most enjoyable evening there. A memorable night for my 25th anniversary celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best.RelikDined on 11/4/2014This is the best restaurant in Flemington, hands down. Try the grilled Romaine Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!badude01Dined on 11/2/2014Very friendly staff. Clean modern surroundings. Wonderful food. Caesars salad unbelievable! Great appetizers and wonderful meal. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will come back here again.BellaloveDined on 11/2/2014Great food!!! We came here for a birthday dinner. It is a BYOB which I think is great. The restaurant is not cheap, but since there is no bar bill, you are really only paying for good food. And that is why I am at a nice restaurant and not a chain. Really great night. Highly recommend it if you are in the area. It does not disappoint. Loved the sea bass with crabmeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth it.louiethekDined on 11/1/2014Took my daughter and wife here for daughter’s 18th birthday. She is heading to Culinary Institute next year and wanted to give her a fine dining experience. We had tuna two ways and grilled flat bread for appetizers. Excellent. Then we each had the grilled romaine salad. Very wood taste and we all enjoyed it. For dinner we had the scallop special, salmon, and rib eye steak. All plates were cleaned. Desert was excellent coffee with bread pudding, bourbon pecan pie. Excellent. Price is high but well worth it. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent!!FlemingtonFoodieDined on 10/31/2014I love Matt's Red Rooster. The food is delicious and the staff is gracious and responsive. I live in Flemington and it is often my first choice to bring guests when I have folks visiting.Special Features:
- 38th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014We had a wonderful dining experience, we were celebrating our 38 wedding anniversary. We loved the old building and its charm, some of the tables are close to one another but we sat next to a wonderful couple that really made the night that much better. For appetizers try the soup sampler and the grilled romaine salad, I had the pork loin and it couldn't have been any more tender...it was delicious. My wife had the scallops, she normally takes half her meal home but it was so good she finished it there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss out!PAfoodieDined on 10/29/2014Four of us had a delicious dining experience, enhanced by being at the best table for conversation in the bay window area. Excellent and friendly service - we will return soon even though it is a bit far for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or Miss...dine4tasteDined on 10/25/2014For over 12 years, this was always the go to restaurant for my husband and I. The meals were always gratifying to your pallet and really blew you away. Unfortunately, within the last 2 years or so, we've noticed a change. Food is served lukewarm and the WOW of flavor that we were used to is just not there anymore. Portions are also shrinking in size. The appetizer tuna tartare, used to be enough for 2 people, now it is questionable if it is enough for 1. The stuff cod looked as if it was less than half of a half of fillet. There was a time when the food was too much, but you left the restaurant feeling more than satisfied. The dessert was smaller than small there wasn't much more than a mouthful of the 2 miniature size pumpkin cakes.
- Special occasion or not-dine here!NYerDined on 10/24/2014We always celebrate New Years Eve here, but why not Friday night too.Food is great, price is right, and BYOB.Can't beat it.Special Features:
- Fun eveningJerseyGirlVIPDined on 10/24/2014My friend and I went there to celebrate our birthdays, which are a couple weeks apart. Our dinners were excellent. Service was outstanding. We casually mentioned we were celebrating our birthdays and were surprised by candles on our desserts. The only minor negative was our table was too close to the one next to us. Though, we did have fun conversations with the two sets of diners who sat at that table while we were there.Special Features:
- Special OccasionFlemCoupleDined on 10/18/2014Our second time here with the new fall menu and this time some family joined us. The specials were excellent (mushroom soup that was not overly creamy and the shrimp entree). Others had the stuffed pork chop and the dry aged steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful time. Food was delicious. Dave was a great server, very attentive. All in all, love going here for special occasions.Special Features:
- great local placelocal1Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and a metropolitan feel for a local restaurant. very accommodating. Good choice for my daughter's 25th birthday.Special Features:
- Really exceptionalJHackettVIPDined on 10/17/2014In the Flemington area, there are only a few choices for "fine" dining and Matt's Red Rooster is atop the list of most people who appreciate and know fine dining. The owner and his staff just get it- a focused menu with a proven and consistent quality formula that they are able to replicate night after night. Terrific service that is never overwhelming or pretentious. And from Tuna to steaks they execute their menu to perfection.Special Features:
- Great dinnerHappycustomerDined on 10/7/2014My husband said it was the greatest steak he's ever had. So tender and flavorful. We shared a trio of soups which were delicious. For dessert we tried the peanut butter bomb and it was so amazing! Highly recommend checking this place out. Glad to have such a great dining experience in town.Special Features:
- Amazing foodSmashDined on 10/5/2014My boyfriend booked reservations here for our anniversary dinner. I grew up here and somehow have never been. The steak was cooked to perfection and the blue cheese applewood smoked bacon crust was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysPetewitDined on 10/5/2014Matt's is one of our favorite places. We've always had great meals here and the seasonal menu + specials never fail to disappoint. The coffee-rubbed ribeye was fantastic.Special Features:
- Love the new fall menuFlemCoupleDined on 10/4/2014We were at Matt's the inaugural weekend of the new Fall menu. The fall squash soup, striped bass, and the grilled griggstown chicken were fantastic. Will try to come back in a few weeks to try some of the other new choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spot!CailenDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I both were delighted with our recent date night at Matt's. We enjoyed the grilled romaine salad, 3 onion soup and fois gras to start, the stuffed pork chop and scallops for dinner and then for dessert we were spoiled with apple bread pudding and a peanut butter mousse "bomb". Everything was if the highest quality and unbelievably tasty and the setting was fun, vibrant and welcoming. We would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedabcdDined on 10/3/2014We went for our anniversary dinner after seeing such great reviews. Food overall was very good but the service was seriously lacking, from the hostess who left us standing at the front door while chatting in the back to the disinterested waitress who made us feel like she would rather be doing anything else with just cursory politeness. I hope the management is able to address the staff because it's a shame when a fine restaurant with greet food is ruined by the lackluster service.
- Tommy1VIPDined on 10/3/2014All around great place! Good savings as its Byob.Special Features:
- Matt's never disappoints!DonnaSDined on 9/27/2014Our party of 6 had the big room upstairs that was private and fun and made the conversation around the table super easy with no noise. Some in our group had never been to Matt's before and are already planning to return.Special Features:
- Unique Culinary ExperienceBaffaDined on 9/23/2014Matts serves apps and entrees with a twist. Like the ABC appetizer. Avocado, crabmeat and bacon. Superb. Steaks and ribs are favorites. Wood fired grill adds a wonderful taste to a usually ordinary meal. Service was attentive without being over bearing. A must try for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsKristenDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I "uncovered" Matt's Red Rooster a few years ago and try to make there 4x/year. It's amazing. The menu changes with the seasons and their nightly specials are great. I had the seared Ahi Tuna as my entree and my husband had the ribs. Both were absolutely delicious. For an appetizer, I always have the grilled romaine and we'll order the grilled/chilled shrimp martini as long as it remains on the menu. I now can't have shrimp cocktail anywhere else. Matt's shrimp martini is out of this world good! e like to sit at the bar that overlooks the kitchen so we can see the grill master at work and make our dinner decisions. Great staff and amazing food. Can't wait for our next night there!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent as always and the ambiance is just wonderful. It was enjoyed by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.