Matt's Red Rooster Grill
22 Bloomfield Avenue
Flemington, NJ 08822Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Matt's Red Rooster Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mattsredroostergrill.com/
- Phone: 9087887050
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - Close, Saturday: 5:00pm - Close, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew McPherson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Matt’s Red Rooster Grill is the perfect venue for private parties, business luncheons, or corporate events. Whatever the occasion, it is our pleasure to create a culinary celebration for you and your guests to enjoy together. Private dining room available that holds up to 12 guests. Upstairs dining room available for parties up to 40-55.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Pollitt 908-788-7050
- Special Events: Join us for Ladies Night Out or Guys Night Out where we offer a special menu and reserve the upstairs dining room just for you and your friends. Sign up on our email list to stay informed of these and other events including wine tasting dinners and more.
A word from Matt's Red Rooster Grill
Matt’s Red Rooster Grill is a contemporary American bistro paying homage to a wood fired grill that “brings out the best flavors” of traditional American cuisine, reinvented creatively. A CIA (Hyde Park) graduate, Chef Matt McPherson stays true to his local roots integrating the finest seasonal ingredients, sourced from local family farms & day boat fisherman into his unique dishes. The restored Victorian home provides a relaxed elegant atmosphere to catch up with friends, celebrate special occasions, enjoy a romantic dinner, or impress an important client. As Matt’s creations pamper your taste buds, the staff indulges you with rock star service, the perfect remedy for a long day or week. With two floors, downstairs feeds off the warmth & energy of a bustling open kitchen. Four seats at the Chef's counter let you feel the heat, as you watch Matt & his team from a perch over the grill. Upstairs is away from the bustle while the porch provides relaxed & refreshing outdoor dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Matt's Red Rooster Grill - Best Restaurants in Flemington ›
Matt's Red Rooster Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (113)special occasion (112)fit for foodies (100)romantic (71)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (32)hot spot (17)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Special OccasionFlemCoupleDined on 10/18/2014Our second time here with the new fall menu and this time some family joined us. The specials were excellent (mushroom soup that was not overly creamy and the shrimp entree). Others had the stuffed pork chop and the dry aged steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful time. Food was delicious. Dave was a great server, very attentive. All in all, love going here for special occasions.Special Features:
- great local placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and a metropolitan feel for a local restaurant. very accommodating. Good choice for my daughter's 25th birthday.Special Features:
- Really exceptionalJHackettVIPDined on 10/17/2014In the Flemington area, there are only a few choices for "fine" dining and Matt's Red Rooster is atop the list of most people who appreciate and know fine dining. The owner and his staff just get it- a focused menu with a proven and consistent quality formula that they are able to replicate night after night. Terrific service that is never overwhelming or pretentious. And from Tuna to steaks they execute their menu to perfection.Special Features:
- Great dinnerHappycustomerDined on 10/7/2014My husband said it was the greatest steak he's ever had. So tender and flavorful. We shared a trio of soups which were delicious. For dessert we tried the peanut butter bomb and it was so amazing! Highly recommend checking this place out. Glad to have such a great dining experience in town.Special Features:
- Amazing foodSmashDined on 10/5/2014My boyfriend booked reservations here for our anniversary dinner. I grew up here and somehow have never been. The steak was cooked to perfection and the blue cheese applewood smoked bacon crust was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysPetewitDined on 10/5/2014Matt's is one of our favorite places. We've always had great meals here and the seasonal menu + specials never fail to disappoint. The coffee-rubbed ribeye was fantastic.Special Features:
- Love the new fall menuFlemCoupleDined on 10/4/2014We were at Matt's the inaugural weekend of the new Fall menu. The fall squash soup, striped bass, and the grilled griggstown chicken were fantastic. Will try to come back in a few weeks to try some of the other new choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spot!CailenDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I both were delighted with our recent date night at Matt's. We enjoyed the grilled romaine salad, 3 onion soup and fois gras to start, the stuffed pork chop and scallops for dinner and then for dessert we were spoiled with apple bread pudding and a peanut butter mousse "bomb". Everything was if the highest quality and unbelievably tasty and the setting was fun, vibrant and welcoming. We would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedabcdDined on 10/3/2014We went for our anniversary dinner after seeing such great reviews. Food overall was very good but the service was seriously lacking, from the hostess who left us standing at the front door while chatting in the back to the disinterested waitress who made us feel like she would rather be doing anything else with just cursory politeness. I hope the management is able to address the staff because it's a shame when a fine restaurant with greet food is ruined by the lackluster service.
- Tommy1VIPDined on 10/3/2014All around great place! Good savings as its Byob.Special Features:
- Matt's never disappoints!DonnaSDined on 9/27/2014Our party of 6 had the big room upstairs that was private and fun and made the conversation around the table super easy with no noise. Some in our group had never been to Matt's before and are already planning to return.Special Features:
- Unique Culinary ExperienceBaffaDined on 9/23/2014Matts serves apps and entrees with a twist. Like the ABC appetizer. Avocado, crabmeat and bacon. Superb. Steaks and ribs are favorites. Wood fired grill adds a wonderful taste to a usually ordinary meal. Service was attentive without being over bearing. A must try for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsKristenDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I "uncovered" Matt's Red Rooster a few years ago and try to make there 4x/year. It's amazing. The menu changes with the seasons and their nightly specials are great. I had the seared Ahi Tuna as my entree and my husband had the ribs. Both were absolutely delicious. For an appetizer, I always have the grilled romaine and we'll order the grilled/chilled shrimp martini as long as it remains on the menu. I now can't have shrimp cocktail anywhere else. Matt's shrimp martini is out of this world good! e like to sit at the bar that overlooks the kitchen so we can see the grill master at work and make our dinner decisions. Great staff and amazing food. Can't wait for our next night there!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent as always and the ambiance is just wonderful. It was enjoyed by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyDined on 9/19/2014We have never had a bad dinner or experience at Matt's Red Rooster. The food is excellence and the service is very good. Bob appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SomervillianDined on 9/18/2014While I was grateful to snag a reservation at Matt's, sitting upstairs is a distant experience from watching the artistry in the open kitchen downstairs. Service was slow. Dinner was good, and I was disappointed to find that when I took some of my dinner home, not all of it was in the take home dish!!! Vegetables were not there.
- Excellent dining experienceEHBranchburgVIPDined on 9/18/2014Excellent, enjoyable dining experience - excellent food with top notch service. Both the Ahi tuna abd the Ribeye entrees were prepared and presented perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerLov28Dined on 9/18/2014Dinner was great and the service was efficient. A great assortment of entrées and deserts. We have been to this spot a few times and have not had a bad meal yet. We love everything that we have tried thus far. We will be back real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AaabbbAaabbbDined on 9/16/2014Some of the best dishes in NJ, fresh and local ingredients, attentive service. A great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent!JennyDined on 9/13/2014I love it here. We always have a great meal and I love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 michelin star in FlemingtonDRMJC18Dined on 9/12/2014Matt Red Rooster should be considered one of the best restaurants in New Jersey and rivals the starred ones in New York. Artistic food presentation, light and diverse sauces , and a blend of international flavors. Its a BYOB- Dr. MSpecial Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Great place. Excellent food, diverse menu. Will come back and bring friends from the Union County area. There were so many items I would have chosen. Nice setting too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Matt's Red Rooster is consistently DELICIOUS with outstanding service!! Matt is a an AMAZING chef/owner!! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Our first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014A little overrated a lot of people brag about the place but I felt the menu was limited and the sides are small portions. There were not any "common" items on the menu for anyone that does not like "fancy" food, but the food was good and the service was excellent. Also loved the décor it is very cozy considering it's a house turned into a restaurant. We are regulars at the Sergeantsville Inn where they have an alternate "bar" menu with lower scale items that makes it easy for anyone to enjoy, we were glad we didn't bring our daughter she would not have eaten anything.Special Features:
- Great for special occasions!GrannyGDined on 9/2/2014We enjoy celebrating our anniversary and other special occasions at Matt's Red Rooster. Food is wonderful, and wait staff are always attentive.Special Features:
- Great Food and atmospheretrophyjimDined on 8/31/2014If you haven't tried Matt's Red Rooster you are missing out. The food is excellent, the waitstaff is attentive and very friendly and make great recommendations. Whether it is date night or a business meeting you will be sure to impress by taking your guests to Matt's Red Rooster. Get a reservation though this place books up quickly.Special Features:
- Matt's Red Rooster 3rd visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Just completed a third dinner, re-confirming the first two experiences. Uniformly excellent fare, knowledgeable friendly service, comfortable atmosphere, professional, accomplished clientele but in a casual, relaxed setting. It's doubtful one will find a better restaurant choice within this community.Special Features:
- Matt's RR ReviewGenniferDined on 8/29/2014We read many, many reviews and heard great things about Matt's; however, our meal was just average. My husband's steak was a thin cut and the overall appearance was lacking. Upstairs was nice but downstairs is the "place to be" to see the action of the cooking. Our server was "all business" and didn't engage in small talk at all. Overall, we liked it but wouldn't rush back considering it was a 20+ minute drive for us.
- FantasticRoyDenDined on 8/28/2014Great place for a fine dining experience. Food is fantastic. Outdoor and downstairs tables are great. Service was very nice. One negative comment though. We made reservations for outside tables and waited 40 min till they could seat us.Special Features:
- Excellent high-end choicepdorfmanDined on 8/28/2014Flemington is charming, but the restaurant pickings are thinner than one would expect. Matt's may be the best choice in town. The menu is conventional but the food is excellent, the presentation lovely, the service cheerful and competent, and the decor (Victorian house) very pleasant. If it's a nice evening, you'll have to book well in advance to get a table outdoors on the porch. BYOB. Prices are a little above average.Special Features:
- DREWSIVEDined on 8/27/2014Great food and great ambiance. Also, it's a BYOB-what more can you ask for. One of the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014I have been several times and will continue to go several more times. The food and service is impeccable. You leave there feeling extremely satisfied especially knowing it was worth every penny!Special Features:
- Matt's Red RoosterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food, excellent service. Very friendly and great atmosphere. This is on high end of price and we will keep this as a special occasion type of place but we celebrated our anniversary and when they brought out dessert the plate said Happy Anniversary. They made it a great experience. The waiter was awesome, explained in detail all of the dishes and was very attentive and personable. I would highly recommend this restaurant in every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers are the BEST!MamaKDined on 8/24/2014Our entrees were delicious but the appetizers, soups and salads were the stars of the meal! A great casual fine dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.foodloverDined on 8/23/2014Ambiance was wonderful, service was great, dinner was incredible. I could not say enough great things about this restaurant!!!Special Features:
- got2BrealDined on 8/23/2014Terrific! Upstairs dining room is a bit stodgy but downstairs & porch are lively & fun. Food was delicious & service was excellent. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentChrisDined on 8/23/2014Matt's is a must. Every dish is a delight and the service is always outstanding!Special Features:
- Superb as alwaystenorcnjDined on 8/20/2014Brought our best friends out to our favorite Flemington dining spot to celebrate a birthday. Our meal was delicious, delicious, delicious! Service was very friendly and well versed in the menu, accommodating our requests for modifications and omissions with aplomb. We cannot wait to get back here again. That sous-vide!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.