932 8th Ave
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mattsgrill.com/
- Phone: 2123075109
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ray Camacho
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Matt's Grill
MATTS GRILL HAS BEEN OPEN SINCE 1995 SERVING HELLS KITCHEN AND ALL GUESTS GREAT FOOD WITH GREAT SERVICEContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matt's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Casual PlacebdaylunchVIPDined on 8/3/2014I went to Matt's Grill last Sunday for dinner. Had Matt's Big Burger and was really impressed. Cooked to perfection and enjoyed every bite. The fries were really good too. The server was attentive and sweet. Great food at reasonable prices. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCOdancedadDined on 7/4/2014We found Matt's Grill on Open Table while looking for a good meal at a decent price and we were not disappointed. We had a group of 5 adults and 7 children and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals! It's not a big place and not fancy but if you're looking for a great meal at a great price, Matt's is what you're looking for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No bells and whistlesJMUPatrickDined on 6/26/2014As some have stated, it's not about ambience at Matt's. It's a neighborhood pub with excellent bar food and friendly, attentive service. Come here on your lunch break to watch a World Cup match and get a killer burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Matt's Grill reviews archive.
- Save Your MoneyLJZO6VIPDined on 5/6/2014A saloon at best. Meat was over cooked ... despite the request. Seats were hard (very) wood.
- Perfect hidden gemHollyinVB1Dined on 4/15/2014We went here during spring break - and were prepared to be jammed into a place like other restaurants but were pleasantly surprised. The food and drink (Stella!) was delicious and thy have a special kids menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and Badlate4dinnerDined on 4/11/2014While the food is good and the service very helpful, and the prices very friendly, management is totally not customer-friendly. I went with a friend who is a vegetarian; she ordered the cobb salad without the chicken and bacon and asked if they could give her extra avocado instead. Not only wouldn't the kitchen give her ANYTHING extra, she was charged the full $15. There was no attempt (and again I am not blaming the waitress) to let my friend know that her patronage was valued in any way. I was very disappointed in the lack of any attempt to accommodate my friend and sad to say while i enjoyed my meal, my friend will never go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time!ketaVIPDined on 4/6/2014This was the first time for me to eat here & it was good. Not the best meal I've ever had but worth returning to. One problem was that the manager didn't understand about the 'open table' reservations & our waitress couldn't speak enough English to understand about making sure my reservation was noted that I arrived. It took quite a while & the bar tender had to talk to me & then call the owner to find out about Open Table & my reservation! They had never heard of it... But I finally got it done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchDodoDined on 3/16/2014A neighborhood bar that has a small brunch menu. But the portions were large and very tastey. No great deals on drinks, but the Bloody Mary was good.
- DisappointedjoyfulVIPDined on 2/23/2014Just a bar really with some tables. Food was disappointing and service was not attentive. Would not go back. We were the only couple in there
- Great dinner, dodged the crowds!Tom1Dined on 12/28/2013A nice pub atmosphere with super friendly staff! Hostess and waitress very friendly and service was prompt and accurate.Special Features:
- Not bad for a quick biteJRubinDined on 12/28/2013Matt's Grill is located on 8th Ave near the Theatre District. While the menu is not very expansive, the quality of the food and the prices matched up well enough to be able to recommend this restaurant to othersSpecial Features:
- Matts GrilllovednycDined on 12/24/2013made a reservation at Matt's Grill for Christmas Eve through Open Table. When we arrived they informed us that they had closed the kitchen. We ended up eating at a diner with Asian women screaming in our ear. VERY DISAPPOINTED. Matt's Grill made no effort to call or help us in any way. Really wouldn't give them any stars at all but your program required me to.
- Great meeting spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2013This was the perfect place for the six people in our party to meet for late dinner after different evening activities. I arrived a little early and felt at home at the bar, where there was clearly a friendly local vibe. Others trickled in and we moved to our table on time and without hassle over the bar tab. A great little gem in a location with overwhelming options. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for food and a beerRobTDined on 10/15/2013Matt's Grill is a nice little spot to stop in and have a beer and some excellent food. They offer a bit more than you're standard bar fare. The staff was friendly and attentive and the atmosphere was warm. It was large enough to not feel crowded, but small enough to keep the noise from drowning out your conversation.. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good but theFOODIEVIPDined on 7/20/2013The food was good but the service was extremely slow
- Our second visit to Matt'sMLS99Dined on 7/19/2013Our second visit to Matt's Grill - food and drink were great as usual. We had the roasted chicken and pasta of the day - both very delicious. Service is friendly and efficient. Temp in the bar was a little hot that day but it was 110 degrees outside so I guess the A/C was having issues keeping up. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Comfort Food Near City CenterNPinBerkshiresDined on 7/11/2013We were looking for a place for a bite of dinner before a 7:30 p.m. curtain at City Center. Matt's Grill fit the bill perfectly. The small bar was partly empty, and the noise was minimal. By the time we left, nearly every table in the small main dining area was occupied, but we weren't disturbed by others' conversations. The single waitress couldn't have been nicer or more efficient. The menu is limited, but my husband enjoyed his steak and I my grilled chicken salad. The portions were on the large size, but each of us finished every bite. The waitress brewed a fresh pot of coffee for us, and we went off on our merry way feeling well fed, well tended to, and looking forward to what turned out to be an excellent Encores performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Diner - Great ServicebarLDined on 5/17/2013We were a table of 5 - food was good, nice varied menu and everyone enjoyed their dinner. Noise level was very high - especially since the place wasn't that crowded - but would definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place for my stakemarinaVIPDined on 4/18/2013Love this place for my stake craving. But might have a bit lack of consistency in preparation. Still like this place though.
- a good neighborhood placeTinabirdVIPDined on 2/21/2013a good neighborhood place for a sandwich or a salad- reliable and friendly
- when we got to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/6/2013when we got to the restaurant we were the first people there. We sat down and then were giving the menus. After that we were told that there was no french toast. Which was very disappointing. The waitress asked the bartender how long they haven't had french toast.and he replied by saying to herits not my problem if there is no french toast they can leave if they want to. The next thing we did was walk out immediately. Very bad experience
- Nice place to grab a simpleFoodieVIPDined on 12/3/2012Nice place to grab a simple meal. Its lowkey and quiet.Special Features:
- Love Matt's! Great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/1/2012Love Matt's! Great neighborhood vibe, varied menu, fantastic staff. This is our go-to brunch spot.Special Features:
- I had classic meatloaf & mashedMansterrockDined on 11/21/2012I had classic meatloaf & mashed potatoes that was very good. They have a kids menu. Best of all was able to accommodate a party of 9 on the night before thanksgiving with little notice. Not a lot of tables so I definitely recommend reservation. Also impressed that they serve Stella Artois in a Stella glass. Seems most NYC places don't anymore.Special Features:
- What excuse could there everBonnieVIPDined on 8/3/2012What excuse could there ever be for serving a salad with a black, yes, black avocado. Enough said.
- If you just want food...thisBryNycVIPDined on 7/28/2012If you just want food...this place is fine. Really nothing special. It's pub food straight up.
- good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2012There were five of us for brunch. Four had burgers, which they said were very good. One had a shrimp salad, also good. Friendly bartender and waitress. Good service.Special Features:
- Cheap food. Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/14/2012Cheap food. Nothing special but who can complain about a meal for 2 and drinks that came in at around $50.00