2107 Hendricks Ave.
Jacksonville, FL 32207Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.matthewsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9043969922
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Matthew's Restaurant
Matthew's is one of Jacksonville's most distinctive gourmet restaurants. Enjoy a refined, European-style atmosphere and gourmet cuisine that has made Matthew's one of Northern Florida's most awarded and popular restaurants for almost a decade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Matthew's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
Matthew's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)romantic (66)fit for foodies (56)notable wine list (41)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Very good restaurantJKGableDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I went to Matthews for my birthday and had a wonderful meal. The service was great and both of our meals were excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant, but awkward startOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Good drinks, food and service. However, a very awkward start. Apparently my companion did not meet the dress code (we were not told what the specific infraction was, but I'm betting it was sneakers; he had a collared shirt and dress shorts). Which is fine - their restaurant, their right. But then we were asked whether we wanted to be seated in the dining room or the bar. Like, "You're underdressed, so don't you want to voluntarily - and shamefully - stay in the bar?" It was silly and awkward. We chose the bar, but the experienced bartender wisely recognized what was happening and got us into the dining room. This restaurant is a little behind the times. In Atlanta the dress codes are so relaxed the staff wouldn't get seated here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014Monday night half off bottles of wine! Great wait staff-they know their stuff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtocookluvtocookVIPDined on 8/23/2014Mathew's is by the far the best restaurant in town as far as the quality, consistency and down right deliciousness of the food. It is definitely the place for a special occasion but also the place just if you are in the mood for REALLY GOOD FOOD. The service is fantastic and they are also very accomodating to any food preferences, allergies, etc including gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One out of two meals greatRustyVIPDined on 8/18/2014For my birthday, we went here to celebrate. Everything was great except my wife's grouper. When Shen mentioned it, the staff immediately offered her something else, though it was after I had finished and she picked at her meal. They did remove it from the bill though. Having been here many times, this was the first thing that wasn't up to par. My scallops were great. The flourless chocolate cake for desert was a perfect finish.Special Features:
- Another great mealfaginVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had an anniversary to celebrate, and a gift card, so ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. We were somewhat alarmed when our first two dishes were "raw food": beef tartare, and seared tuna(both were quite tasty), but the filet mignon that followed was cooked to fork tender perfection. It may have been our collective imagination, but we both thought that the tasting menu portions have increased in size, to the point that we needed a take home box for half the filet. The wine servings were not stingy, and our server was quite capable in describing each selection. Matthews is tough to beat anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No go on MondaysWaiting2VIPDined on 8/11/2014Insufficient staff for a Monday night. If they want to be open on Monday it should be staffed properly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Beyond ExcellentbgtessEatsGoodDined on 8/8/2014A singular birthday dinner blossomed into a solely superb dining experience! Everything I put in my mouth was heaven! I had the grouper...excellent. The ambience and service...top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Her birthday...rthatcherVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything seemed to flow well at Matthews for a fine dining experience, complete with high points and challenges. The high points existed in every serving, starting with the fabulous escargot and the beef tartare and rolling through the rich pasta dishes. The challenges were left to desert as the Curry gelato was not my favorite, but I was happy to try something new. The service was superb and very professional. I was pleased to see the restaurant noted my preferences before dinner as well as noting my girlfriend's birthday in chocolate syrup script. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Food is always deliciousgordunoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food experience is always delicious though be prepared for upscale prices. Ambience is cozy, but if you're looking for a romantic setting, be sure to ask for a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversaryjjjaxon5VIPDined on 7/30/2014Love the food, love the feeling. great service. Escargot was off the hook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantjoeycap78Dined on 7/30/2014This is, by far, my favorite restaurant in Jacksonville. Nothing even compares to it. Being a public relations professional and a self-described foodie, I am often asked about my favorite restaurant. Matthew's holds the title and has for quite some time. Matthew's makes you feel like the only person that matters to them, which is a lost art in the restaurant world.Special Features:
- Delicious!!VillaRiva4Dined on 7/26/2014Our table of 4 all enjoyed the dishes we chose to eat for dinner. Loved the truffled fries and the polenta was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantPatjolDined on 7/25/2014One of the best restaurants in Jacksonville. True gourmet food. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dining experioenceDRH60Dined on 7/23/2014Our dining experience at Matthews was one of the best that we've had in Jacksonville. Overall, the food was innovative (and delicious!) and the service was exceptional. The entire staff made you feel welcome, almost like a part of their family without losing their professionalism. Every course was superb--innovative twists on each dish; the sauces were outstanding and the presentation was flawless. The crème brulee with corn and caramel popcorn was the finest that I've ever eaten, anywhere! The wine selection was fabulous though the choices were so numerous that it was a bit overwhelming. My wife and I couldn't recommend MatthewsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic, quiet, and delicious!nance79Dined on 7/22/2014We had a great first time at Matthews. We went for my fiance's birthday and the food was delicious, our server was great and helpful! We will definitely come back for special occassions.Special Features:
- Can't Go Wrong!MarieVIPDined on 7/22/2014We had my birthday dinner there and the service and food was beyond amazing! Our server was David and he could not be more helpful and knowledgeable. My husband wanted to order the escargot appetizer and I turned up my nose at it never tried never wanted to and through Davids description of the escargot he convinced me to try it and it was incredible. After dinner we were so stuffed we passed on desert, but they brought out a plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate and a watermelon sorbet. Not only was it delicious, but the presentation was beautiful. Thank you Matthew's!Special Features:
- Perhaps the Best in JaxWannabefoodiesDined on 7/21/2014We were celebrating our Anniversary. Our server was knowledgable, prompt and made us feel relaxed. My husband, who doesn't typically like goat cheese, raved about the drunken goat cheese. The scallops were great after a squirt of lime. Skip the rolls unless they offer the olive roll. They are tough to chew, unless they have the olive roll. Try the different salts. Our entrees were delicious, eye catching, flavorful and perfectly prepared. The wine our server paired worked perfectly with our meals. For dessert we ordered the roasted cherry puff pastry tart with tarragon gelato. We cleaned the plate. A nice touch was the Happy Anniversary written in chocolate written on the dessert plate. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsRoadwarriorDined on 7/21/2014I have had the pleasure of dining at Matthew's several times now. From the moment you walk in, you are greeted and treated like a prized customer. The cocktails and service at the bar are great, the greeter is warm and friendly, and the service at the table is awesome. Great Food, Great Wine, Great Service AND consistency!! I will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Outstanding for a special occasionhappy2eatoutDined on 7/17/2014Fabulous dinner! Classic fine dining! We had only entrees (a special July promotion...buy one entree and get a second entree free) without additional items of wine, salad, or side dishes. We were thrilled with our entree choice. The scallops were extraordinary and beautifully prepared! We added a lite dessert of sorbet & gelato for a nice tasty treat. The wait staff was very attentive and the music in the background was very nice...recorded jazz instrumentals. We appreciate this special opportunity to enjoy Matthew's excellent cuisine at such a savings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOPSjackieDined on 7/16/2014there was an error with my bill and it was handles very professionally and quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buffVIPDined on 7/12/2014One of our favorite places. We always enjoy our visits on special occasions.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beBeachPupDined on 7/12/2014The ambience and the service were 5 stars. Kelly was our server and she was fantastic. My wife's seared scallops were not served hot (barely warm), the fried olives stuffed with blue cheese were a let down, and my grouper francaise was not hot and was very tiny, but served in a beautiful bowl with spinach. Kelly removed the scallops from our bill and served a complimentary dessert, which was very nice and very appropriate. The last time we dined at Matthews it was 5 stars all around. This time (we were a party of four, for my wife's birthday) not so much. We will go again in the hopes that it was maybe an "off night" in the kitchen. Their employees are VERY professional and handled everything the best we could have expected.Special Features:
- One of the best in JacksonvillerustyVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've eaten at Matthews four or five times, the food and service is always excellent and they have a great selection of drinks and wine.Special Features:
- Awesome!winendineDined on 7/5/2014It was my birthday. Matthew's made it special! The food and the service were great! I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!CJ1083Dined on 7/5/2014Matthews never lets us down. Incredible food, incredible service. Our favorite restaurant in Jax!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must for any jaxsonvillinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014One of the best places I have dined in a long time. Portions and price are spot on for quality. Table set and restaurant are perfect for any romantic night out. With the streets of San Marco right out side the door to walk after or before your meal. Servers are 5 star from the moment you walk in to the thank you letter that is hand written and mailed to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCangiDined on 6/27/2014Can't go wrong. Perfect for special occasions or a nice evening out. Food amazing, staff superb!! Everyone needs to try Matthew's!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014The menu was not familiar to me or my husband , so felt uncomfortable with options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014I really want to like this restaurant but it just misses the mark.
- Always GreatMLJAXDined on 6/21/2014This is the best restaurant in town. Food is great and expertly prepared and presented. The staff is also the best.Special Features:
- super nightdineoutalotDined on 6/21/2014Tried the tasting menu and it was a wonderful dining experience to say the least! My wife and I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine listagotochoiceDined on 6/21/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Michael's Restaurant. It was my wife's birthday and she had a great time. We would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- DisappointedfoodsnobDined on 6/21/2014I was so looking forward to the chef's tasting, but the selections for that evening were not to my liking. In the past our server has always made great suggestions and altered the menu so that I may enjoy it. Our server not only did not but just discouraged me from ordering it. I also ordered a glass of wine and she poured a smaller portion (I noticed) than any other server. I know this is a small thing but at those prices it would be nice to get the right amount. The restaurant has cut back of small things, no plate cleansing in between courses. It just was off. Will I go back not for a very long time. Very few places hold a candle to the Chef's Tasting and to drive (55 mins.) each way is disappointing to get a bad selection.Special Features:
- ExcellentsullyDined on 6/20/2014Food preparation interesting and exciting. My scallops were cooked perfectly and came with bits of chorizo and were topped with a corn salsa. My wife had flounder served with a light broth. Great experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic!iluvgoodfoodandgoodwineVIPDined on 6/18/2014It was our 26th Anniversary which needs to be capped off with dinner at the best restaurant in town. This is the place that fits that description on all fronts. Our server, Sarah, is extremely knowledgeable and energetic. You can tell that she loves what she does. The food is always delicious and the wine list is quite extensive and covers every price range. The menu changes with each season giving you very fresh and seasonal options. It forces us to try new things which is a good thing! We will be back but we won't wait for our 27th! We'll be back sooner for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceHappyAnniversaryDined on 6/18/2014The staff was very attentive, the food was excellent and the environment was nice and peaceful. Excellent upscale restaurant for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionsAlwaysEatzDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I have been to Matthews a few times now, and have enjoyed both the food and atmosphere. We like to show up 15-20 minutes early and enjoy a drink at the bar before being seated. The service has always been wonderful, and our food has been prepared to the highest standards on each occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Special Place....HashtagBestInJacksonvilleDined on 6/7/2014Matthew's has become the go-to place for me and my new fiance. We have been there over 10 times in the last year and just this past Saturday after an amazing dinner, I proposed to her. Matthew's was an important part of setting the right mood for the night in which our lives changed and I want to thank the entire staff for being such professionals and masters at their craft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StupendousScottandDinaDined on 6/7/2014My husband and I went to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. We had never been to Matthew’s before, but our amazing server Kelly was very informative. We did the Chef’s Adventure Tasting Menu paired with wines. The food was AMAZING and service was TOP Notch! Thank you for a wonderful evening. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.