2107 Hendricks Ave.
Jacksonville, FL 32207Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.matthewsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (904) 396-9922
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Matthew's Restaurant
Matthew's is one of Jacksonville's most distinctive gourmet restaurants. Enjoy a refined, European-style atmosphere and gourmet cuisine that has made Matthew's one of Northern Florida's most awarded and popular restaurants for almost a decade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Matthew's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
Matthew's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)fit for foodies (63)romantic (61)notable wine list (40)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Food, Awesome Service, Reasonable PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014Went for the wife's 65th bd, just the two of us, as it had been a tough week for both of us. Valet parking is a bonus in this neighborhood. Hostess was gracious, water and bread were shortly provided, Sarah was our fun, knowledgeable, and perfectly attentive server. The wife had bacon wrapped quail she said was perfect and I enjoyed very nicely prepared escargot. Our entrees were both pasta/seafood dishes, the wife going with a Bucatini pasta and California type prep (tomatoes & veggies), while I stayed with a Rigatoni and more European prep. Both were as good as can be. Sides were a baby carrot & blue cheese prep and a Risotto w/ sun dried tomatoes that can alive with a seasoned salt. A couple nice glasses of wine for the wife and a total bill of about $140 left us both well satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food and ServiceNoisyDined on 11/13/2014This was my first experience dining at Matthews. It was exceptional service with knowledgeable server that assisted with course selection and wine pairing. Very impressive atmosphere with very comfortable seating making for a relaxed and cozy evening. This was an experience not just a meal. We will be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fall Menu & Kitchen Off BeatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We've been to this restaurant on a few occasions over the past few years and had good experiences so expectations were high. They had recently changed to their fall menu and this was the first time at any restaurant where we've been asked to order everything up front to "help the kitchen." Waitress was smug when we only ordered drinks and appetizers first. Sorry, but we needed a little more time to look at the menu than the five minutes she allotted! Appetizers took about 30 minutes and weren't very good (quail and pork belly). We won't be back anytime soon. Too expensive and left feeling less than a valued customer.
- Perfect for Celebrating a BirthdayAnnieDined on 11/7/2014What a perfect place to celebrate my 60th birthday!!! Everything was top notch. Notable standouts were the fried olives, escargot and the homemade radiatore pasta with bolognese sauce. Best sauce I have ever had anywhere on the East coast and we are from NJ where we have fabulous pasta! The scallops and loop de Mer (sea bass) were perfectly cooked and plates came out burning hot just like they should be. Do not miss the fried brussel sprouts. Wine list was very good and we had an excellent Pinot Noir at a reasonbable price. Service was on point at all times. For dessert I had the amaretto (chocolate) pot de creme - super smooth and luscious. We were served champagne on the house since it was my birthday! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service Excellent food.LarryLenzDined on 11/7/2014The table service was exceptional with attention to detail. The chefs attention to detail in food preparation was very visual and savory to the palate. The table presentation exquisite. A note goes to our prime table waitress who was very informative on the menu and answered multiple questions. We were privileged to be honored with a special note for desert - Happy Anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerccdostie62Dined on 11/3/2014My wife and I dined with you for our Anniversary Dinner. This is one of the most romantic spots in Jacksonville, not to mention a culinary legend. Ambiance was perfect. The food was artfully presented, and the flavors were excellent. I had the Osso Bucco, and while the sauce and flavors were very interesting, the preparation left a lot to be desired. Osso Bucco is typically fall apart tender, at least in my experiences, and I cannot say the same for the dish I had that evening. I would probably rate my meal as just Ok. My wife's Filet was excellent. The dessert we shared, the Sweet Potato Souffle was Outstanding. The service was polished and professional, but the overall length of our meal was a bit excessive.Special Features:
- Foie Gras is the bestStanDined on 11/1/2014The Foie Gras is the best in the 'ville, and one of very few places for caviar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion placeSpecialDineDined on 11/1/2014The food and service are impeccable. It is on a pricier side, but it is absolutely amazing.Special Features:
- Not much bang for the buckKpalmer80Dined on 11/1/2014I've had better food at much better prices. There were so many people taking pictures of themselves there, I feel like they just came so they could tag themselves there on social media. Total letdownSpecial Features:
- Foie Gras LoversFinickyfoodVIPDined on 10/25/2014Mathews was highly recommended by our friends who we trust with restaurant recommendations. However, for the three of us, there was too much Foie Gras on the menu for us. My Friend had the Rib Eye Steak which she said the quality was not as good as the previous restaurant we had all dined at. Her husband had the Pasta which he said was good. I had the Wild Boar, holding the Foie Gras which may have made the dish better if you like liver pate. The Butternut Squash soup was very good, but not served hot. In fact, we all agreed that none of our dishes were served hot. The people are extremely nice and the place is a hit! It is just not for us. We prefer 3 Forks and the Wine Cellar for the price.Special Features:
- MemorableGloriaDined on 10/18/2014My second dinner at Matthew's while visiting family in Jax was as memorable as the first. We again had the tasting menu, which met all of our high expectations. Wine list has good values.Special Features:
- Dining ExperiencebeckelfishDined on 10/13/2014As always the food, ambiance, and service were up to our expectations. We have been eating at Matthew's for over twenty years and it still is the greatest restaurant in Jacksonville!Special Features:
- FluffyFoodCriticDined on 10/10/2014This is probably the best restaurant in Jacksonville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for special ocasionsBusterDined on 10/4/2014very nice restruant for special occasions, food and fare are premium as is the staff. chefs table seating offers a unique view into the kitchen and does have its tidbit rewards. pricing is slightly high, but not many places can compair with the atmosphere and food taste.Special Features:
- WowdandyDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I have eaten all over the world as Travel Professionals and I was a classically trained Chef. This restaurant rates as one of the best we have experienced in the United States and top five in Florida.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKimiDined on 9/30/2014Matthew's is a great spot. The food is delicious. The atmosphere is quiet so you can hold a conversation and actually hear each other. This is NOT a spot for the tight budget conscious person. I've never seen a bill under $100 for 2 and I'm not a drinker or appetizer person. Urge food melts in your mouth and desserts àre divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so dissapointingFoodieDined on 9/26/2014The food is excellent, but the service has deteriorated since my last visit. When we asked our waitress about the $75 tasting menu she could not tell us how the courses were prepared and the sixth course was " a meat of some sort". When we asked for more details, she was at a loss and didn't even offer to find out more details. Pathetic experience and a waste of such an amazing chef. Ruth Chris, Taverna and even European street have better service. Also, it took 20 minutes for our cocktails. In addition, we had to practically yell to have a conversation across the table because the acoustics were so bad in the dining room.Special Features:
- DisappointedJenniferDined on 9/26/2014Great reputation was not what we experienced. Wet fish (soggy) must have been frozen Chilean Sea Bass ay $37 was a tremendous disappointment. We brought guests to experience fine dining reputation of Matthews and left (quietly) embarrassed.Special Features:
- Another Outstanding Dinner !FoodieJaxVIPDined on 9/25/2014One of the top two or three restaurants in North Florida, you will, as we did, have amazing food and outstanding service.Special Features:
- best food and service I've hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Best service in Jacksonville, hands down. Very romantic setting. Pretty expensive, but not to the point where is unbelievable. You're definitely paying for the experience and Matthews didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulDinerDined on 9/13/2014The chef never fails to amaze us with his creative responses to our special diet. The food was out of this world as always.Special Features:
- Great for special occasionEllehinesDined on 9/13/2014David was one of the best servers I've had in a long time. Very knowledgable and attentive. The food was delicious and dessert was amazing. They even went out of their way for my husbands birthday and brought us out champagne and a birthday treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in JAX!melodyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Another amazing experience at Matthews. Consistently the best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great birthday dinnerlrayDined on 9/6/2014food and service were both great as we celebrated my birthday. we will definatly return to Matthews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014I enjoyed the dining experience. The grouper is very good.Special Features:
- Very good restaurantJKGableDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I went to Matthews for my birthday and had a wonderful meal. The service was great and both of our meals were excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant, but awkward startYesIwillVIPDined on 8/27/2014Good drinks, food and service. However, a very awkward start. Apparently my companion did not meet the dress code (we were not told what the specific infraction was, but I'm betting it was sneakers; he had a collared shirt and dress shorts). Which is fine - their restaurant, their right. But then we were asked whether we wanted to be seated in the dining room or the bar. Like, "You're underdressed, so don't you want to voluntarily - and shamefully - stay in the bar?" It was silly and awkward. We chose the bar, but the experienced bartender wisely recognized what was happening and got us into the dining room. This restaurant is a little behind the times. In Atlanta the dress codes are so relaxed the staff wouldn't get seated here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014Monday night half off bottles of wine! Great wait staff-they know their stuff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtocookluvtocookVIPDined on 8/23/2014Mathew's is by the far the best restaurant in town as far as the quality, consistency and down right deliciousness of the food. It is definitely the place for a special occasion but also the place just if you are in the mood for REALLY GOOD FOOD. The service is fantastic and they are also very accomodating to any food preferences, allergies, etc including gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One out of two meals greatRustyVIPDined on 8/18/2014For my birthday, we went here to celebrate. Everything was great except my wife's grouper. When Shen mentioned it, the staff immediately offered her something else, though it was after I had finished and she picked at her meal. They did remove it from the bill though. Having been here many times, this was the first thing that wasn't up to par. My scallops were great. The flourless chocolate cake for desert was a perfect finish.Special Features:
- Another great mealfaginVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had an anniversary to celebrate, and a gift card, so ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. We were somewhat alarmed when our first two dishes were "raw food": beef tartare, and seared tuna(both were quite tasty), but the filet mignon that followed was cooked to fork tender perfection. It may have been our collective imagination, but we both thought that the tasting menu portions have increased in size, to the point that we needed a take home box for half the filet. The wine servings were not stingy, and our server was quite capable in describing each selection. Matthews is tough to beat anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No valet, poor service and...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014I'm afraid Matthews is becoming a "has been" of good places to dine in Jacksonville. This most recent visit started with no valet and proceeded with poor service, 86'd menu items at the start of service, horribly inconsistent food of low quality ingredients, and what seems to be a complete lack of care by management. I'm just bored when dining here...and now I'm just frustrated and have no need to return.
- No go on MondaysWaiting2VIPDined on 8/11/2014Insufficient staff for a Monday night. If they want to be open on Monday it should be staffed properly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Beyond ExcellentbgtessEatsGoodDined on 8/8/2014A singular birthday dinner blossomed into a solely superb dining experience! Everything I put in my mouth was heaven! I had the grouper...excellent. The ambience and service...top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Her birthday...rthatcherVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything seemed to flow well at Matthews for a fine dining experience, complete with high points and challenges. The high points existed in every serving, starting with the fabulous escargot and the beef tartare and rolling through the rich pasta dishes. The challenges were left to desert as the Curry gelato was not my favorite, but I was happy to try something new. The service was superb and very professional. I was pleased to see the restaurant noted my preferences before dinner as well as noting my girlfriend's birthday in chocolate syrup script. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Food is always deliciousgordunoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food experience is always delicious though be prepared for upscale prices. Ambience is cozy, but if you're looking for a romantic setting, be sure to ask for a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversaryjjjaxon5VIPDined on 7/30/2014Love the food, love the feeling. great service. Escargot was off the hook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantjoeycap78Dined on 7/30/2014This is, by far, my favorite restaurant in Jacksonville. Nothing even compares to it. Being a public relations professional and a self-described foodie, I am often asked about my favorite restaurant. Matthew's holds the title and has for quite some time. Matthew's makes you feel like the only person that matters to them, which is a lost art in the restaurant world.Special Features:
- The following 757 reviews are from the Matthew's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Delicious!!VillaRiva4Dined on 7/26/2014Our table of 4 all enjoyed the dishes we chose to eat for dinner. Loved the truffled fries and the polenta was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantPatjolDined on 7/25/2014One of the best restaurants in Jacksonville. True gourmet food. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.