Matthew Kenney's M.A.K.E.
395 Santa Monica Place, Suite #333
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $30 and under
Matthew Kenney's M.A.K.E.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matthewkenneycuisine.com/make
- Phone: 3103947046x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
Tuesday: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
Wednesday: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
Thursday: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
Friday: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
Saturday: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
SUnday: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kenney and Scott Winegard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: 4th street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking for M.A.K.E can be found at the Santa Monica Place parking lots, adjacent to the restaurant. The cost is as follows:
First 90 minutes - FREE
Next 1 hour - $1.00
Each additional 30 minutes - $1.50
Daily maximum - $14
Santa Monica Place also offers valet parking on Colorado between 4th and 2nd street.
A word from Matthew Kenney's M.A.K.E.
Located inside the Santa Monica Place Market, M.A.K.E. is a living foods, raw restaurant, featuring cutting edge plant-based cuisine. The menu is executed under the guidance of raw food chef and author, Matthew Kenney. The restaurant is located adjacent to Matthew Kenney Culinary, a state- of-the- art raw food Academy. The restaurant's menu features innovative ideas inspired by seasonal, local produce, as well as many of Matthew's classic raw food dishes. Santa Monica is the perfect atmosphere to experience this contemporary and health-conscious cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Matthew Kenney's M.A.K.E. - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Matthew Kenney's M.A.K.E. reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (32)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (7)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Brilliant FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food at MAKE is beyond incredible. The chefs are inventive, the food is incredible and delicate and exploding with flavors. I would recommend this place to anyone. You do not have to be vegan, vegetarian or an omnivore to recognize the quality and beauty of this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super tasty raw, vegan farekhakidogDined on 10/14/2014Who knew that raw, vegan food could taste and look so good! The food is amazingly flavorful and beautifully presented. I am a full fledged omnivore but enjoy a vegetarian meal every now and then and M.A.K.E. is far and away the best I've had. Be aware that you are eating in a food court on the top floor of a swanky shopping center and that prices are steep ($100 per person for the tasting menu including wine and tips), particularly given the location. Also there's hardly anyone else at the restaurant for dinner, or at the other restaurants in the court for that matter, so forget the ambience. Go in with your eyes open, and you won't be disappointed at the remarkable fare.Special Features:
- Vegan paradise!jmjrVIPDined on 9/27/2014A plant perfect work of art. The best vegan restaurant in LA and one of the very best anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulhollys7090Dined on 9/25/2014Totally lived up to expectations! Just wonderful and a must for all vegans or vegetarians!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch and dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Cody our waiter was amazing Wine list is small but good Food is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not a raw vegan ...TacoladyDined on 9/8/2014I thought the food was fabulous had Kim chi dumplings and a cheese plate to share. The truffle cheese best and the presentation on a slate board unique. I had the heirloom tomato lasagne which was fantastic. I took a fruit tart to go. Everything was beautiful and well priced. The servers were very knowledgeable and knew every detail of each such. What I didn't care for was the ambiance of sitting in a shopping mall on thirds floor. It was a Monday so only two others dining there..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw art!!!Raw2honestDined on 8/31/2014Amazing raw food! Festival of colors and flavors! Can't wait to try more of his art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even if you are not vegOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/30/2014Delightful little restaurant with wonderfully creative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentmichka78Dined on 8/29/2014Food was fantastic as was service. Only things disappointing was not offered the lunch special - wasnt pointed out to me and would have saved me a bit of money. Otherwise an exceptional dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Raw place!!SabrinaMataDined on 8/27/2014The food, the ambience, the place and everything are lovely and yummy!! The best raw place in LA! I loved it!!Special Features:
- Not just for vegetarianskhakidogDined on 8/26/2014M.A.K.E. is a foodie find - it's difficult to believe that raw vegetables could be made so tasty, varied and beautiful. I am not a vegetarian by any means, or even a raw food enthusiast, and yet make it a point to dine at M.A.K.E. every few months. I should mention that the dinner experience is in a food court on the top of an upscale mall, but it is nonetheless a food court. Further, the meal will not be cheap. Overall I think it is a find especially for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining beautiful raw foodZuziaDined on 8/19/2014I have been excited to go to M.A.K.E for months. There was 4 of us. I am a raw chef, a couple of friends hadnt really experienced raw food and my boyfriend and the other dude are usual big meat eaters but we are all foodies. Everyone was blown away. We had the tasting menu, 6 dishes including dessert for $65. A fair price for the amount of time, enginuity, technique, quality if ingredients and food. Beautiful presentation, some very interesting as well as classic flavour combinations. We thought we might be hungry when the first dishes came out but were happily satisfied and full by the end. The waiter was very helpful with my copious amounts of questions. Go on a weekday night though as we did when theres only a handful of other guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as artgreenoakDined on 8/11/2014Excellent, fascinating, delicious and nutritious. A must-go restaurant experience.Special Features:
- fantastic!hcatDined on 8/10/2014That pretty much says it all. Fabulous food. Vegan or not. The food is flavorful and you keep wanting more. I was so excited to see what was coming next. With every bite I was soooo happy and felt lucky to have found such a fantastic place to explore raw delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.ShiranTalDined on 8/9/2014We had an amazing raw dinner. The wine was great and the waiters were so kind and helpful! Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not visit againCoraDined on 8/7/2014Mu husband and I really like creative food but we don't find M.A.K.E really convincing. First of all, the salat is just a dish of fresh salat without any special sauce or decoration. Second, the black pepper kelp noodles are way too salty. We need to drank more water to swallow them. For a summer lunch, I will only give it 2 out of 5 points. And what dissapointed me more is that I have told them beforehand when I made the reservation that it will be my husband's birthday that day and if possible I wish to have certain words written on his dessert. I even confirmed with the waitress in the restaurant again and she promised me that it's no problem. When the deseert came, NOTHING. The service was just bad. I won't go again.
- Great timemimi10019VIPDined on 7/26/2014I had amazing service.everybody worked as a team. I had many servers:) Great food and descriptions of the food. Do a happy hour MAKE, id come for sure! I'll be back!
- Could be a vegan!Luv2eatDined on 7/21/2014If I lived near this fabulous restaurant, or had a personal chef like the owner! I am coming back for more!Special Features:
- great heathy raw foodNineadayVIPDined on 7/20/2014incredible food, very unique, nice ambiance. the service is good.Special Features:
- The following 134 reviews are from the Matthew Kenney's M.A.K.E. reviews archive.
- Gourmet RawconiverDined on 7/3/2014One of a kind! Beautiful presentation, outstanding flavors and impressive creations. Kind, helpful and efficient service. Pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!! I'd happily return!MarciDined on 6/23/2014This was my first Vegan, Raw restaurant experience. I had a number of pre-conceived notions in my head, but this restaurant blew them all away! The food was absolutely delicious and satisfying. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very deliioussharethebestVIPDined on 6/21/2014M.A.K.E. offers interesting and delicious fresh, organic food. We started with the guacamole taco and followed up with the lasagna... all wonderful. Very good service and nice wine too.Special Features:
- Nourishing, beautiful & delicious!RawFoodforLifeDined on 6/19/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience from the ambience, the service to the imaginative, fresh and delectable plant based menu! So wish we could have dined here a few more times to taste as many of the dishes as possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw food at a new levelSD4BrianVIPDined on 6/7/2014My wife was keen to try MAKE but honestly I was so-so. Boy did I have a pleasant surprise when the first plate arrived. From that point forward I was taken on a delightful raw food experience that shifted my mindset. The lasagna was amazing and I'd return for this one dish. The BIG shock was dessert. The pineapple cheesecake was simply fantastic and one of the most delicious desserts I've had this year.Special Features:
- Vegan and Raw all the wayMarioTGomezDined on 6/6/2014When in Santa Monica, CA make sure you make your way to Matthew Kenney's M.A.KE. It is always my first stop when I'm in Southern CA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable foodhappyvegan6Dined on 5/24/2014The entire experience felt like a treat. I was surprised to find the place inside of the Market and not as its own restaurant, because the food was truly incredible and the way it was prepared was a real art. I went with a group of 3 and we shared 3 appetizers and 3 main dishes and 1 amazing dessert. We asked the waiter to recommend his favorite dishes and all of his choices were outstanding. Not to mention the wait staff was very good looking and he even gave us each an extra cookie (delicious!) on the house. I can't wait for another special occasion to warrant going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for the Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We ordered the 5 Course tasting menu and thought we would be sharing it. We get the check and it was for (2) $65 meals. Ouch!!Special Features:
- AmazingDelishDined on 5/16/2014The food was thoughtful and intentional. It was healthy and delicious. We will definitely come again! Try the dumplings. And the chef's tasting menu. Whoa! Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, so-so servicegbugDined on 5/11/2014The atmosphere, food and wine list were all fantastic. Was amazed at what could be done with raw food and how delicious and beautifully presented it was. We will definitely be back for the kimchi dumplings, lasagna, and chocolate cake! The staff was young and very friendly, but the turn-around was irregular: sometimes fast (appetizers arrived before drinks) and other times slow (our main course sitting at the kitchen window) but our waiter was kind enough to give us a round of drinks on the house. The online menu featured cocktails which they were no longer carrying so we were a little disappointed to miss out on the mojito's and bellini's, but the waiter offered to mix up some sangria and it was great! All in all, worth going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet rawfrequentflyerDined on 5/4/2014great raw/vegan food. beautifully presented and creative. friendly and informed staff.Special Features:
- ChristieDined on 4/21/2014Despite some reservations when a house guest suggested a raw, vegan restaurant, I thoroughly enjoyed M.A.K.E. and look forward to returning. What they do with the food there is nothing short of magic! The food is DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Better than ExpectedSaSiDined on 4/16/2014Every time I go to this restaurant it exceeds my expectations. The overall feeling I have after I eat, which is: if i could eat like this everyday, I would become vegan!!! Not only healthy, but so well crafted and the plating is so appealing and inviting. The enthusiasm and the knowledge of the servers is also appreciated.Special Features:
- Not a vegetarian but LOVE m.a.k.e.jb2bVIPDined on 3/8/2014I love meat and eat it every day. But this place, WOW, so amazing. Truly, food like this deserves a better locale than the upper deck of the mall. Truly incredible food; never miss the meat.
- Not only is the food delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2014Not only is the food delicious, it's beautiful as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RAW RevolutionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Loved the creative food. It was delicious and healthy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet VeganAdventuresinDiningVIPDined on 2/13/2014I am not a vegan - but this food is excellent. I would definitely go back. Lots of interesting dishes that you don't usually get in typical vegan restaurants. No fake chicken here. Service was okay - not great for slow Thursday night. I am not crazy about the location as it in a food court - high end - but still a food court. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to find but worth it!Kat1VIPDined on 2/10/2014we were from out of town and had a very hard time finding it! They were so helpful. food was Fantastic! LOVED it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredibly RAWSOME experience!JudyVIPDined on 2/9/2014Thank you Matthew Kenney and to all the staff at M.A.K.E. It was our first time for 6 of us there with 7 in our party. Sunday evening and the restaurant was slow, but the food and service were both incredible. We had the cheese plate, the mushroom pate, the kimchee dumplings, the pistachio guacamole, the lasagna, the kelp noodles, several other entres and some juices and smoothies and wine and it was all fantastic! I highly recommend M.A.K.E. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticYNZ24Dined on 1/31/2014Could not have made a better choice. The food here was delectable and almost beyond words. Josie, our server, was outstanding in explaining the restaurant concept and introducing each dish, as if writing a prologue for each course. I definitely did not expect vegan to taste so good. They go the extra mile and use tamari instead of soy sauce, sun-dried olives instead of table salt. My recommendations include the zucchini lasagna, persimmon arugula salad, and vanilla hemp "ice cream". Big props to the whole team here. Looking forward to next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in the RAWGinaDined on 1/28/2014The primary issue for me was the cost versus benefit. We thought the portions on many items was very small. There were two items we all really enjoyed but the rest was so-so. The raw carrot salad was uninspired. The chocolate cake was way too sweet! The noodle dish was excellent as was the kimchee dumpling. The service was fine. The noise level was pretty high; interfered with normal conversation.