1105 S Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matsuri.us/
- Phone: 4107528561
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Matsuri
Voted “Best Japanese Restaurant” by Baltimore Magazine and the Baltimore City Paper year after year, as well as the recipient of the highest rankings from the Baltimore Sun and Zagat. Matsuri opened in Federal Hill in 1996 as the culmination of Bill Tien’s vision for Japanese cuisine in Baltimore. Matsuri is frequented by Baltimore’s many sports celebrities as well as visiting filmmakers and political figures. His chefs are routinely hired to prepare sushi dinners for customers and their friends in their homes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matsuri reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Matsuri was great!FoodieDaniDined on 8/16/2014I absolutely loved the food. I went during restaurant week, so the price was great. I also loved the music they played. (White pop music...Lol.) It's not a lot of space inside to eat. Luckily, the people on both sides of us left shortly after we arrived. I think they offer outside dining, as well. The server was very pleasant. Didn't check up on us too much. I hate when servers ask how you are every 5 minutes. I had a great experience and cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dirty and crowdedStopDined on 8/9/2014The food was nothing special. The staff was harried, rude, uninterested, and slow. We waited over an hour to get our orders and our allergy concerns were ignored. Our table was dirty and the seats were wet. We got there by being led through the back in a dirty hallway past the disgusting kitchens. How do they keep winning "Best of Baltimore"?!?
- Bleumoon137Dined on 7/24/2014The food was wonderful. The outdoor seating exposed us to panhandlers. Indoor may have been a better option. Waitress was efficient but in friendly. Great happy hour menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, slow service.WinenerdDined on 7/10/2014Yea seems I had about the same experience as most people who eat here. Place is really understaffed, only one server for the whole place when we were there for lunch. Once you get the food it’s above average, prices are reasonable, not a great value, but no a rip off either. Restaurant is very cramped and loud. I would go back if I found myself near, but it’s not worth a special trip.Special Features:
- The following 10 reviews are from the Matsuri reviews archive.
- Almost a rare missOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014Uncharacteristically bad service (multiple ordered drinks and food never arrived or had to be asked for again) didn't mar our evening as the food was extraordinary as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MatsuriOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Very good Japanese food! Nice array of choices. Great for a sushi craving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible servicemaryellDined on 2/14/2014We were in the restaurant almost 2 hours, nearly an hour waiting for our food AFTER we ordered!Special Features:
- YumAnnaDined on 1/25/2014I always have a great time when going to Matsuri. Anytime I go out for sushi in general, I always compare my meal to Matsuri's sushi and it is quite hard to top. Definitely one of the best sushi places in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good pricesMatthewBDined on 1/15/2014Well priced, excellent tasting food. Seating is tight though, but service is good and quick, we were there a little earlier then dinner rush timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so authenticCalinMDVIPDined on 11/23/2013Had high hopes due to the "best in Baltimore" rating, but we were disappointed. The sushi wasn't great--the tuna, the staple of a sushi plate--smelled and tasted way too fishy. The salmon, though, was delicious! The miso soup, teriyaki, and tonkatsu were good, but there was something a little off about most of the sauces. The dumpling dipping sauce, salad dressing, etc. were not what we'd expect at a Japanese restaurant. Add to that the impossible parking situation (not the restaurant's fault, I know)… I don't think we will be returning.
- Hidden gemfreedomfan15Dined on 8/2/2013Small, yet very comfortable dining spot with delicious food. I will definitely be going back to have some more sushi.Special Features:
- Oishii Desu yo!boneDined on 8/1/2013Walking into almost cramped front room leads to a quiet, personal upstairs that is much larger than it seems yet still intimate. Quality ingredients prepared immaculately combine to create an enjoyable meal. Helpful service and a diverse menu to boot. Do yourself a favor and try Matsuri if you've got a taste for Asian cuisine or are looking to give it a first try!Special Features:
- Average sushi barOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2013I live in the neighborhood and have only been to Matsuri a number of times. It's not my first pick for sushi but the sushi isn't bad. For some reason this place doesn't have any thrill to keep me coming back. If I'm around, I'll usually get sushi not Nicks in the market because of the environment and I prefer the rolls there. I'd also suggest trying out Sushi Hana or Sticky Rice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matsuri Restaurant WeekDoubleTeeDined on 7/27/2013The food and portions for the Restaurant Week menu were excellent. Service was good and although it is a small space, it was a good dining experience. The 1st courses were generous as starters /appetizers (I had the grilled chicken salad with ginger dressing), the maki rolls were tasty and great for sharing (Sea King Roll and Volcano Roll) and the Tempura Cheesecake was interesting and delicious! Nicely done, Matsuri!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.