Matsuhisa - Aspen
303 East Main Street
Aspen, CO 81611Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Matsuhisa - Aspen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matsuhisaaspen.com/
- Phone: (970) 544-6628
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week beginning at 6pm. Closed Thanksgiving.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Philip Tanaka - Matthew White
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Matsuhisa Aspen is capable of providing off-site catering with chefs and serving staff for private parties as well as providing Matsuhisa's cuisine for your special occasions.
- Private Party Facilities: Matsuhisa Aspen "Upstairs" is a turn of the century victorian house which offers a casual, but elegent space for any function.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Clark 9705446628
- Cross Street: Monarch
- Public Transit: Roaring Fork Transit Authority (RFTA) has stops on either side of our location; at Paepke Park (Main St and Aspen St) as well as Galena (Main St and Galena). It is a one block walk to Matsuhisa Aspen (Main and Monarch).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Free street parking surrounds Matsuhisa Aspen after 6pm and on Sunday.
A word from Matsuhisa - Aspen
Matsuhisa Aspen is nestled beneath a quaint victorian house in the mountain town of Aspen Colorado and features the cuisine of world renowned chef Nobu Matsuhisa. Japanese-inspired seafood and sushi, as well as an ultra-hip scene and lively bar crowd can best describe Matsuhisa Aspen. We are a continuation of Matsuhisa L.A., Nobu New York, Nobu London and may more locations around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matsuhisa - Aspen reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)neighborhood gem (2)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always spot on dining!Rp930VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food, drinks & and service from main floor bar to dining downstairs never fails to be a great evening. Other than an unruly child & parents ignoring their child's outbursts disturbed those on the opposite side of the room (staff apologizing), great night. Sushi fresh and melt in your mouth and updated favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi ever!flynn88Dined on 10/3/2014I've been to 3 of Nobu's locations now and have never been disappointed. Yes it is pricey, but so worth it!
- Tom58Dined on 9/1/2014Great food. One of our favorites in Aspen; we visit every time we're in town. Poor attitude from hostess but table side service was great.Special Features:
- One of Aspen's bestfoodiedudieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Always great Japanese…Loved the interesting slider special with wagyu beef and crispy tofu bun. Spinach and shrimp salad plentiful and good choice to get some greens.Always love the miso cod and scallops with mushrooms was delicious. Super expensive, but what one would expect in this town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!ggggVIPDined on 8/14/2014My husband, 8 year old daughter and I celebrated my birthday and the meal was fantastic. My husband and I both had the Omakase - 8 courses chosen by the chef. This included wonderful sushi, truffle sea bass and wagyu beef with foie gras! They were also very helpful in finding something that my daughter would like to eat. Defininitely not a cheap meal, but worth it for a special occasion. The courses came quickly, without too much waiting, which can be a problem with multi course meal. Will be back the next time we are in Aspen!Special Features:
- Love everything about it.sandyBVIPDined on 8/10/2014food was amazing, service was great, whenever in Aspen i make sure we go there at least one time each visit! highly recommend for sushi lovers!Special Features:
- Wow!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/4/2014Fabulous food and Elizabeth was excellent server! We are going back again tonightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 72 reviews are from the Matsuhisa - Aspen reviews archive.
- AmazingGonzousnVIPDined on 7/28/2014Best sushi I've had since I moved back to the US from Tokyo. Outstanding quality and flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treatSkip1VIPDined on 6/5/2014We always eat there when we're in Aspen. It's our best meal anywhere, any time.Special Features:
- Sunday DinnerllrDENVIPDined on 4/13/2014We were celebrating my birthday in Aspen and this was where I wanted to go. Hadn't been in a few years. It was great! We sat at the sushi bar and had cold sake and marvelous food. Not inexpensive but you know that before you go. Will definitely return next time we are in Aspen.Special Features:
- over-priced and under-taste. thisAspenGirlDined on 3/29/2014over-priced and under-taste. this restaurant is flying on it's name only - definitely not the food. there are better sushi restaurants in Aspen, so go to those first.
- Fantastic. Elizabeth was ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/19/2014Fantastic. Elizabeth was our server and took special care with us as we had never dined there before. We weren't rushed. She explained how to work with the menu. I can't say enough good things and the good reviews I read that prompted me to make the reservation did not mislead. Yummylicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best.Wineluv3VIPDined on 2/28/2014Matsuhisa is expensive, but the service and food quality are without equal in Aspen. Always consistent and always the best. The yellowtail jalapeno and wild salmon new style are a must. The best sake anywhere! Very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014Great sushi and tempura! Coconut banana spring rolls were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an excellent restaurant--weOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/1/2013This is an excellent restaurant--we have eaten here many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedMaryDined on 11/30/2013Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but it is WAY over priced!! I know it's sushi and I know it's Aspen, but I don't think it was worth the $200 bill for only 2 people, no alcohol, no dessert, 1 appetizer and 4 rolls.
- Very tasty. Creative spinOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2013Very tasty. Creative spin on some traditional Japanese dishes. Scallops were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/23/2013We booked reservations from reading online open table and other reviews. Our hotel concierge also said it was best around. They were all right! Very nice meal and great service. Even ran into Troy Aikman on our way out which thrilled our 2 young sons. We love sushi and like to eat it any chance we get and we were Impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we'vefoodiedudieVIPDined on 5/27/2013One of the best meals we've had at Matsuhisa. Our waiter made excellent suggestions. The spinach salad with grilled shrimp and truffle oil was out of this world. The wild salmon sashimi was so fresh. Off season is a great time to dine at this hot spot. Wallet took a hit, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Japanese food availableOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/9/2013The best Japanese food available combined with excellent service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Very expensive, but fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2013Very expensive, but fantastic service and food. Great people watching as well!Special Features:
- Matsuhisa is always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2013Matsuhisa is always a treat and adventure in fine dining
- Outstanding Sushi and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/29/2013Outstanding Sushi! Matsuhisa - Aspen Is by far the best Japanese restaurant in Aspen and one of the best in the entire United States. everything we ordered from the Sushi to the Tempura and then desert, was exceptional. The service was perfect and our server was very knowledgable about Japanese food and provided us with excellent recommendations.Special Features:
- Excellent food! Pricey butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Excellent food! Pricey but worth it! The restaurant is small but so is everything else in Aspen other than the mountains.Special Features:
- Like all Nobu restaurants,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2012Like all Nobu restaurants, the food is amazing but pricy. The service was great and the ambience energetic and fun.Special Features:
- THE place in the western statesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/24/2012THE place in the western states for sushi! No where else can compare.......but bring your wallet!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding Japanese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/17/2012Outstanding Japanese food as usual. The service this night was not us to the usual standard but was still very good.Special Features:
- The finest Japanese food anywhere.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/7/2012The finest Japanese food anywhere. Nobu and Matsuhisa restaurants are always outstanding but the Aspen location has the best food or the eight or ten locations I have dined in throughout the United States. It is also as good as any food I have ever enjoyed during my many trips to Japan. The sushi and sashimi are wonderful due to the high quality of the fish (I believe they have their own source and do not depend on the wholesale fish distribution channels utilized by other Japanese restaurants). The service was also outstanding and it seem the entire staff is knowledgable about Japanese food and has actually tried the various dishes. Early November is a slow time in Aspen but Matsuhisa's still does a good volume of business.Special Features:
- We tried the omakase (thechefsclubfanDined on 10/13/2012We tried the omakase (the $150 level) and every course was delicious. However, I don't think what we received was worth $150 a person. Next time will order off the regular menu. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Our server was great and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2012Our server was great and very friendly. Food was excellent!
- We were first in the restaurant.LVMummyVIPDined on 10/6/2012We were first in the restaurant. Music was so loud we could not hear each other! Asked to turn down. They did but it got turned back up. Also the staff all scream some kind of welcome to incoming guests which creates more noise & chaos. Definitely not a relaxing place My sushi-liking friends say it is the best. All 4 at our table enjoyed the food but there are too many nice places in Aspen to put up with the chaos. My husband & I will not be back.
- Bring noise protectionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2012While the food was wonderful, the amount of noise on a Friday night was awful. My wife and I sat across from one another at a small table. We are under 50 with excellent hearing. As the evening wore on and the restaurant filled up, we found ourselves having to shout at one another. Our waiter had trouble hearing us, and communicating about the specials on the menu became a challenge. This amount of noise would be an anathema for food of this quality in a Japanese restaurant in Japan. It seems to serve no purpose. If we were to go again, I would recommend the small sushi bar upstairs next to the lounge. It was much quieter in there in a lovely room in the old Victorian part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Third time, not wowed!AnitaVIPDined on 7/30/2012Having dined at his NY restaurant and the LA one I expected to be more wowed. In fairness we did not do Omekaze this time. Other than the Sea Bass in black bean sauce, nothing was above very good. This dish, though, is magnificent. Service from David was exceptional.Special Features:
- Dependably DeliciousSkip1VIPDined on 6/6/2012We visit Aspen off-season once a year and always dine at Matsuhisa. We order old favorites and always try new things. Matsuhisa never disappoints. We look forward to next year!Special Features:
- I have eaten at Nobu on aRickDined on 6/3/2012I have eaten at Nobu on a few occasions in Las Vegas and the Bahamas and thought is was good but not worth the hype, Matsuhisa was an unbelievable experience!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful sushi, but veryDenverVIPDined on 4/8/2012Wonderful sushi, but very expensive. Main dining room is in the basement and has a very closed-in feel to it - even though I am not usually bother by enclosed spaces, this room made me a bit nervous ... tables crammed into the space so you can hardly move. Next time I think I'll try to get a table upstairs in the bar. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Another Nobu successCoolloonDined on 3/8/2012Was so good went back twice in the 5 nights we were in Aspen. And that's saying a lot considering Aspen has many wonderful places to eat. We were two females interested in meeting interesting people (male or female) and found the best mix was at Mtsuhisa. We first had dinner in the downstairs dining room, which was quite, civilized and delicious. We came back later to the bar and had desert and realized what a fun place the bar was. So another night we came back to the bar for drinks dinner and desert and that's what I'd recommend for singles.Special Features:
- Not for mindful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/6/2012In most respects this is the outstanding restaurant in Aspen, a mountain resort town with several excellent ones. It is also one of the most expensive and for us the most expensive among a group of 6 restaurants we visited during a week's stay. The service at Matsuhisa was also the most rushed, and not to our liking. Because of the high quality of the food and its presentation we don't quarrel with the price, but the duration of the meal was inappropriately short, allowing us little time to savor each dish before the next one arrived at our table. High speed service has not been a problem in this restaurant in the past, showing that they can do better.Special Features:
- If you live close to NY orOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/29/2012If you live close to NY or L..A., Matsuhisa is a small notch down from Nobu. Sushi is high quality and signature dishes are excellent. Highlights are miso cod, toro tartar, rock shrimp tempura, new style sashimi and yellowtail jalapeño. Service is excellent and the restaurant has a great atmosphere. Prices are high but then again so is the food quality. If you can afford the check, it's a nice night out.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/24/2012Recommend the Black Cod, Tiger Roll and the Rock Shrimp TempuraSpecial Features: