Matsuhisa - Vail
141 East Meadow Dr.
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Matsuhisa - Vail
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.matsuhisavail.com/
- Phone: 9704766628
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week, 6:00pm to close. Closed Thanksgiving Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chef Nobu Matsuhisa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please check out our Events/Weddings page at www.matsuhisavail.com. Contact Christine Reppa at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Anthony Viera 9704766628
A word from Matsuhisa - Vail
Noted chef Nobu Matsuhisa in collaboration with Nobuko Kang, created this exquisite establishment where sushi is an art form and the patrons are famous or look as if they should be. Located in the Solaris building in the heart of Vail village this modern design restaurant is cool and urban to the nth degree. People fresh off the slopes relax and dine on creative delicious cuisine. Try our omakase- the chef’s choice menu of what's freshest and most interesting that day. Other favorites on the regular menu are the Chilean sea bass topped with fresh black truffles or the black cod marinated in sweet miso.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Matsuhisa - Vail - Best Restaurants in Vail ›
Matsuhisa - Vail reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)special occasion (21)hot spot (21)scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (10)good for groups (8)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Matsuhisa: Every Time We're in VailARMnHammerVIPDined on 10/11/2014As ever, returned to Matsuhisa during our recent visit to Vail. Once again, we were not disappointed. We enjoyed the "Omikase" tasting menu (the off-season 5-course version for $42/person was a great surprise!) plus a few other favorites. If you love great food -- especially sushi and sashimi -- it's a must! Plus, we were all delighted with the shaved ice dessert -- not to be missed!Special Features:
- Matsuhisa - Wonderful!GiLoDined on 10/4/2014Outstanding meal! It was our first time here and certainly will not be the last! We had a great recommendation on how to order. Good baseline for the first time, but now know how to explore new items on the menu next time! Loved it!!Special Features:
- ExpensiveEstherDined on 9/26/2014Food was good. Restaurant is expensive. Nice to sit near the front and look out at Vail Ski Mountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equal to its stellar reputationMichaelCDined on 9/22/2014Knowing that my wife and I are long-time sushi lovers, friends recommended Matsuhisa during our recent trip to the mountains. Having experienced some outstanding sushi in places such as Vancouver, California and Japan, our expectations were high. Matsuhisa did not disappoint. Highlights: the best negitoro hand roll we've ever had. The quality of the toro (o-toro?) and the freshness of every ingredient were outstanding. The salmon nigiri sushi was like butter. And aside from the sushi, the mushroom soup (clear broth) was another 'best ever.' When we come back to Vail we'll return here in a flash.Special Features:
- Vail Village must doChicagoVIPDined on 9/18/2014Nobu Matsushisa quality, creative menu in a beautiful modern mountain style dining room with a wall of floor to ceiling windows looking over the Village and to the slopes...and exclusive Saki selections too!Special Features:
- Great choiceMaggimDined on 9/8/2014We wanted to have a top notch dinner experience as part of our memorable trip to Vail. This meal made the grade in every way. Terrific choices and perfect service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in the USA!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014This was a great find!! Not a big fan of sushi in the past but Nobu does it right!! Everything we selected was top-notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014We liked everything except the reservation times offered through OpenTable. The days we checked availability including the day we went the only times offered were at 5:30 and 5:45 pm. The evening we visited we noticed that the restaurant was still wide open around 7:00 to 8:00 pm. Why would the restaurant not provide OpenTable with a realistic booking experience?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Outstanding Japanese cuisine. Excellent and knowledgable service. Expensive but high quality of for and service justifies.Special Features:
- Great for sharing foodRogerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great food and service. The price tag can escalate quickly. But it's all really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014Food prepares with no attention to quality of preparation. Surly or absent waitstaff. Disastrous.
- Outstanding serviceBetsyDined on 8/2/2014In addition to having excellent & unique Japanese dishes and superb & mount-watering sushi, the staff is so caring about every detail and focused on making a special dining experience for everyone. The general manager, Anthony, and his assistant, Jordan, are constantly checking and making certain that all is exceeding their diners' expectations. It is a superbly run restaurant. Their YK35 cold Sake is the most refined and delicious sake. The staff is absolutely charming!Special Features:
- Very expensive - Very GoodGigchuggerVIPDined on 7/28/2014If you're okay with $100 plus per person, and if you like great Japanese eating with a twist, this is the place. Otoro tartar, crab taco, yellowtail w peppers: all good.
- Summer in VailVail4444Dined on 7/5/2014WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE! We had a group of 8 and all our dishes came out perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MatsuhisaCharlottenyDined on 7/1/2014Matsuhisa was very very very good. We had tow rounds of food and it was good. Our favorite dish is the Sea Bass Tempura in a miso broth. That was very good.Special Features:
- The following 223 reviews are from the Matsuhisa - Vail reviews archive.
- Fantastic, as usual!KariWDined on 6/20/2014On each visit to Vail, we make it a point to dine at Matsuhisa (at least once). The food is amazing and our kids now enjoy raw fish. We are always pleasantly surprised by their amazing specials and our kids love the Nobu style shaved ice.Special Features:
- Always great!MollyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Matsuhisa is a culinary gem in Vail. The quality of the food is incredible - as good as the top restaurants in NYC. I have eaten at Nobu many times and prefer Matsuhisa because of the casual atmosphere. People come as they are - it makes the crowd very eclectic and fun. You can't go wrong with Matsuhisa!Special Features:
- OutstandingA1inLVVIPDined on 5/27/2014This restaurant is always at the top of their game, every dish was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014Terrific food and service and fantastic spring specials!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/30/2014sushi was cold...out of chiller or freezer...didn't taste fresh...service was mediocre
- Outstanding! A must try!3bcsn1rtVIPDined on 4/29/2014This is the best sushi we have ever had to date (and we have had a ton). It is the best Nobu we have been to - dined at Nobu/Dallas and Nobu/Las Vegas (though they were also very good). Matsuhisa Vail has the best bartenders and we have eaten at the bar several times. The sake is phenomenal. Try the sampler as it has 3 of the top tastings. The specialty drinks are amazing. We always elect for the Omakase as it is a multi course tasting, chef's choice. We love surprises and we have loved every tasting! Off season is only $45, great deal. On season is $125 or $175 for the ultimate. They are all wonderful, but we love the ultimate. Everything is incredibly fresh! Service is always fantastic. Top notch! A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matsuhisa - ALWAYS INCREDIBLE!JohnVIPDined on 4/22/2014Loved our off-season tasting menu they presented to us. Very good quality, excellent service, and super creative. The food is always incredible.
- Not what I expected.MrsMunroDined on 4/14/2014I had been so excited to dine here and I was so let down. 1) my unagi roll didn't have seaweed wrapped all around it so it broke into pieces when you picked it up. 2) the creamy spicy crab appetizer was too sour. 3) they will not substitute no avocado and add jalapeño if you ask. I just expected more. Everyone was friendly but I expected more from the food.Special Features:
- Food and Andreas are true GemsFoodieVIPDined on 4/4/2014The food is fresh and creative. Andreas knows his wine and has great suggestions. We sat at the bar. The bartenders were short tempered and obliviously didn't want to be there. That was a buzz kill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible serviceBrian12Dined on 4/3/2014This is a noisy restaurant so if you want peace and quiet this is not for you. Tables a bit too close together but overall a nice room. All the food was excellent from the tempura, sushi and sashimi but service from our waitress was dreadful. In fairness the place was busy and short of staff but that does not excuse the sheer incompetence of the server. Totally disinterested in our needs and getting an order to her was a nightmare, completely ignored our request for drinks. To cap it all when I asked if she would arrange for our hotel car she said yes then did nothing. We ended up calling ourselves. Still in the end it cost her a generous tip!Special Features:
- Several times still not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2014I continue to lack any sort of satisfaction with this restaurant. The service has always been inconsistent and the value is poor. I love paying for good sushi but this place misses the mark obviously very concentrated on high per person billing and really steals the experience. Go to sushi den and learn how to make money more subtly!
- The food was great, the servicegg1966Dined on 3/30/2014The food was great, the service was very good. The party that sat next to us was rude and obnoxious but we didn't let it ruin our eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, Okay, MaybechifoodieVIPDined on 3/27/2014I had been looking forward to dining here for weeks! Most of the food was excellent but our crispy fried rice was a few stages beyond crispy and our service was limited at best. I am a huge foodie and the food concepts did not disappoint but the execution was uneven and service was spotty. Highly recommend trying the cod, yellowtail jalepeno, king crab tempura, and shaved ice smores dessert (odd but tasty)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent food but poor AmbienceGinitaDined on 3/26/2014The noise was terrible although the quality of the food was very good. I find the decoration very poor: It looks like a cafeteria. The noise was so loud that it was hard to hear our friends in our table of 4. The place is very expensive and in fashion now, but I don't think it will last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not like the othersmalibufoodieDined on 3/25/2014We enjoyed our Matsuhisa Vail dinner very much, but it doesn't compare well to the other Matsuhisa in Los Angeles, or other Nobu locations. The fish was very fresh, but not cut as well or generously as at the other locations, so it was disappointing in that regard. The view of the mountain is spectacular and it's a beautiful restaurant. Try the yellowtail with jalapeno, the rock shrimp tempura, ceviche Nobu style - all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for any occasion!KellyDined on 3/21/2014This was my fifth time at Matsuhisa Vail. I've been to many of Nobu's restaurants and this is by far my favorite. From the view of the mountain, to the outstanding service, every detail is so fine tuned and wonderful. Every dish was so amazing and flavorful. The waiter was so helpful in suggesting new dishes to try. I send all my friends who travel to Vail to Matsuhisa. I look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, Fun FoodDisappointedDined on 3/19/2014Wonderful evening. Enjoyed so many delicious dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!DisappointedVIPDined on 3/14/2014What a huge disappointment! Birthday dinner and what a waste of money! Fish was sliced so thin you could barely taste it. Skimped on fish and price did not reflect what we were served. 8$ for a soda! Original restaurant in LA was go to place - they should not even be named the same.
- Cool place and good food butOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 3/9/2014Cool place and good food but very disinterested server. For the price, it should be much better.
- OverchargedjapanesefanDined on 3/9/2014Food was not that good, service was not that good, and yet they over-charge you. Price level is excessively high.
- Excellent Food. CrowdedSeanHDined on 3/6/2014Amazing Food. Expensive. Very crowded and long wait even when you have a reservation. Excellent service though. Huge open venue, high ceilings, modern. Super rich Spanish crowd all decked out in their fur.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful. WaiterDeliciousVIPDined on 3/6/2014Food was wonderful. Waiter was very helpful with menu, although he did forget something we ordered..Special Features:
- Gourmet Food, Sports Bar ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014The food is exceptional, unfortunately the service is NOT. The servers have obviously not been trained in fine dining service. To get any sort of service, we literally had to stop servers who were walking by to ask for typical things to which the waitstaff should automatically attend - such as enough menus for each diner at the table, water refills, chopsticks for all diners, drink orders, etc. etc. When we were actually able to flag someone down to make a request, we were treated brusquely. This has been a favorite restaurant for our family vacation in the past, but we will have to skip it the next time we are in town. We like to be treated politely and with courtesy, and Matsuhisa no longer provides that type of service.
- Amazing flavorsBoulderVIPDined on 3/1/2014Instead of ordering appetizers and entrees, we shared small-plate (tapas) style. All of the dishes were fantastic. Standouts included the tempura crab, lobster in garlic sauce, and the blackened cod. Do not miss the sesame fudge dessert. It's served with a smoked sea salt and a bite of the fudge with a bit of crunchy salt was perfection. Book in advance during ski season if you want a reservation within peak time on weekend. We waited too late, and openings were 5:15 or 9:00 pm, so we went early, but there were tables around us filled with families and kids (spring break), so not exactly romantic at that time of day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobu Matsuhisa does it againOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 2/28/2014Matsuhisa in Vail lives up to its name with excellent, food, service and atmosphere. We will definitely be going back. They even have a gluten free menu which is really helpful for those with a gluten sensitivity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.