4934 Wisconsin Avenue
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matisserestaurantdc.com/
- Phone: 2022445222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Weekend Brunch (Saturday and Sunday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Bodin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Matisse Restaurant offers full catering services. Please inquire further by contacting Fritz Siegfried or Deanna Siegfried at 202 244 5222. .
- Private Party Facilities: 175 seated, 2 floors; 200 cocktail style
- Private Party Contact: Deanna Siegfried 2022445222
- Special Events: 2 Private Dining Rooms Available on the Second Floor. Terrace Room Seats up to 25; Wisconsin Room up to 75. Chef's Table 8-12 guests Available By Advanced Reservation Only.
A word from Matisse
Matisse Restaurant, located between Chevy Chase and Upper Northwest, provides Contemporary French Fusion cuisine to the neighborhood locals and power players of Washington. In a space designed by Thomas Pheasant, guests dine on the freshest seasonal, organic,and local ingredients in a chic and elegant atmosphere. French Doors, and Sweeping Design lend an airy feel to all four dining rooms. Private Dining Spaces and the Chefs table in the wine cellar are available for special occasions, or simply a special treat. Chef Thierry Bodin takes great pride in the innovative menu, leaving guests anticipating their next visit to Matisse and eager to return again and again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matisse reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (42)special occasion (38)romantic (36)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (13)good for groups (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- New favoritetartegninVIPDined on 9/12/2014"Discovered" Matisse recently and gave it a try for dinner. What a lovely place - definitely a new top three as we discover places to dine near our new home. Only downside was a braying entitled table of three nearby - almost ruined dinner but we decided to be amused rather than annoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matisse...neighborhood gem!NYCdineDined on 9/6/2014We had a lovely, quiet dinner at Matisse recently. The food was delicious. We were not rushed and our waiter was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new fave!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/5/2014We had originally had reservations at another restaurant but due to a large pile up we had to find someplace closer. We saw the menu and thought it looked it. It was better than good it was fantastic! I ended up keeping my broth from my mussels it was so good and couldn't part with it. The short ribs were phenomenal as was the snapper. We will definitely be going back to this lovely restaurant!Special Features:
- Lovely presentation as artpaokansasVIPDined on 8/19/2014It was a dark day and the sun was not out, so the restaurant was dark, especially the front. It looked closed. We sat in the back and were given a table for four even though there were only two of us. Thoughtful. The food was very good, actually, especially the warm bread served beforehand. The presentation of the food was a piece of art, and I didn't want to disturb it! This is a very good place for a winter weekend brunch and you can count on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014The food was first rate... The atmosphere pleasant... The service was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightBethDined on 8/12/2014The food is consistently exceptional. We have gone here many times and never been disappointed. It is a great neighborhood star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Did I Miss ThisBDimeVIPDined on 8/5/2014Tenleytown treasure hiding alongside the west side of Wisconsin Ave. Decor is divine. Food is delicious. Wine is so fine. Service is on point. It really is lovely. Love the room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits the right notesJohnandHopeDined on 7/29/2014I particularly enjoyed the Pappa al Pomodoro--a Tuscan tomato and bread soup. It typifies Cafe Matisse--a classic dish, yet fresh, seasonal and bursting with flavor. My wife said the Seared Georges Banks Sea Scallops were superb.Special Features:
- Nice eveningcheesecakemikeDined on 7/24/2014Nice neighborhood fine dining restaurant. We sat upstairs where it was quiet and romantic. Server was excellent. The food was very good except I felt the mussels themselves were very small for the price. The flavor was good and my wife enjoyed the sauce with the artisnel breads which were served. The fish was cooked correctly and the pasta dish my wife had was also good. The best was left to last which was a fresh baked plum tart done in a puff pastry shell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/23/2014A "go-to" restaurant when you want to be able to hear yourself speak while eating high quality food and drinking from a notable wine list. Especially if you live or work in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- LoveDined on 7/23/2014Good food, good service and good ambience thank you to the owner to allow us to have lunch after the kitchen was closed due to the delay of the groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently pleasingDogDocDined on 7/22/2014We have gone to Matisse for years. The most amazing part of the collective experience is that it is consistently terrific. The food is great. The staff is great. This is a testament to the management. You can tell that this is a family run restaurant and that this family takes pride in creating a relaxing, fun experience for everyone. We will always be patrons of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodfansfoodfansDined on 7/18/2014The food was delightful as always and the selections were broad and interesting.Special Features:
- A quiet gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014If you want to have a nice lunch and actually be able to talk to your companions, Matisee is the place for you. The food is very good, the setting lovely, and the ambiance lively but quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- briaaDined on 7/12/2014Had a wonderful dinner with our friends. The food was really delicious and the service was impeccable. The wine list is an excellent one and also very reasonably priced. We had an excellent time.Special Features:
- Matisse had an off nightRKHKDined on 7/5/2014We like Matisse. This visit was less impressive. The food was good but not notable. Service was fine. They messed up my reservation, but we sat at the bar table and it was quiet and comfortable.Special Features:
- Excellent menu, very well prepared.amateur2chefDined on 7/3/2014The only objection was the noise level and crawded room, the tables too close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2014We can always count on a first rate meal - both brunch and dinner - at Matisse. The restaurant had accommodated our online request for a specific seating area - and the service was superb (as it always is). Evening atmosphere is wonderful and the food was outstanding. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect Every TimexnaybrusselsproutsDined on 6/28/2014Matisse hits all the right notes: welcoming, charming, great food, great owner and wine list. It's not only a neighborhood gem, it's a great restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!eatwellVIPDined on 6/21/2014Everyone in our party of four had a wonderful dining experience. My entree was excellent. The restaurant was full but the noise level low so we are able to converse easily. I really like to decor of the restaurant.Special Features:
- LovelyAdianaDined on 6/13/2014Great food and perfect atmosphere. Everyone should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but unimpressive waiterokn310Dined on 6/9/2014Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the bistro ambiance where conversation did not require shouting. We were greeted and seated by a charming gentleman, but our server seemed like he would rather be somewhere else. He exhibited no personality and his grim facial expression never change. His less than stellar behavior didn't ruin our evening, but it did nothing to enhance it. We will definitely return, but with the hope of a better trained waiter providing the service.Special Features:
- LovedItVIPDined on 6/7/2014We eat here often and have for many years. It never fails to be absolutely wonderful in every respect. Still one of the best dining experiences in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceRDK058VIPDined on 6/7/2014Food and service were very nice and the entire dining experience was totally enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good overallRyanVIPDined on 5/30/2014Calamari was not so good to start. But then followed with the duck and liver pate. Both excellent. Great wine list with reasonable prices.Special Features:
- great weekend or week nite findlusaVIPDined on 5/27/2014excellent food and service in relaxed pleasant, quiet setting neighborhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!CarkyVIPDined on 5/26/2014The food is always good, and the service is outstanding! Besides that, the noise level is moderate - you can hear your companions with no trouble (unlike many of the restaurants in Washington).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingutuathailVIPDined on 5/24/2014The wait staff is professional, friendly and very knowledgeable. The food is excellent. My favorites are the kale salad, the mussels, and, the salmon. The owner ensures a personal touch that creates an atmosphere of sophistication and elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerMAJBDined on 5/24/2014I had made my reservations on Open Table and noted that it was my wifes birthday dinner. I guess Matisse doesn't do anything for birthdays, as they didn't do anything on this visit. Otherwise everything else was nice. Service was slow, big tables get priority over a little 2 person table, but that is anywhere.Special Features:
- Swanky but relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014We were welcomed cheerfully, even though we came after 9PM and the kitchen closes at 9:30. People were enjoying themselves, but not at the expense of other diners; we could have a private conversation without having to shout. The music was at the perfect volume (not loud)and atmospheric without being weird or obnoxious with some insistent beat. We had scallops, snapper, and calamari. All were cooked just right and had unusual but deliciously balanced sauces and accompaniments. We had a Sancerre with our meal, and finished with a feather-light apple galette that melted on the tongue. The fruity-bitter olive oil and warm, crusty bread epitomized balanced taste and texture. We've decided to make this our go-to neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- billyboyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Terrific. Lovely environment, good service and great menu. Love that the creative process extends to the "go withs" as well as the main course. Varied wine list and good choices at releasable prices.Special Features:
- The following 488 reviews are from the Matisse reviews archive.
- trends in wrong direction?qualityseekerVIPDined on 5/21/2014Prices seem to be going up, but service way down and food was just ok. Flavors were still very good, but meat was overcooked, and servers seemed to barely speak English -- we had to ask them to repeat practically everything -- it got to a point where we decided it would be better not to ask questions about the dishes, which is a shame, because many are quite unique. And with only one other table there when we were there, I would have thought that they might have been a bit more attentive (we later discovered the staff was chit-chatting around the bar area instead!). It would have been ok, but not at those prices -- one expects much better.
- Fatastic Tuna!BethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 5/14/2014All four of us loved our food. I doubled down on tuna, which I don't usually do, but I had the tuna tartare appetizer and the seared tuna entree. Both were perfectly prepared and absolutely delicious. My companions had fish and all loved them. The eggplant appetizer was especially enjoyed. Service was very good, the location was convenient for our group, and we even found parking on the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodBethesdaVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had a wonderful meal on Saturday. We ordered two of the specials, the soft shell crabs and the NY Steak. Both were delicious and cooked perfectly. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- muniDined on 5/3/2014I would recommend it to my friends and family. I enjoyed the food and the service. It is an ideal place to take someone for their birthday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Have been there many times although not lately. The food was average but I am so used to superior food that I left underwhelmed and disappointed that my out of town guests did not experience Matisse at its best. Service was slow and inattemtive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice neighborhood venueMaddogVIPDined on 4/27/2014Tucked into a quiet strip of Wisconsin Avenue between Tenleytown and Friendship Heights is a nice neighborhood restaurant. The chef offers some innovative selections well prepared and appointed. They accommodated gluten free with no issues. Best of all you could linger over dessert or a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurantKh300Dined on 4/26/2014We love Matisse; very good food, lovely atmosphere, very good service; but on this occasion we were unable to find street parking ( which is all that's available, and were unable to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Classic FrenchJessDined on 4/25/2014Quite good classic French restaurant with great wine list and service. Tables toward the back best for early evening with setting sun.Street arking no sweat after 6:30PM.Special Features:
- Easter Dinner Celebrationrichb1Dined on 4/20/2014Great selection of seafood and meat entrees. We enjoyed the crab tower (soft shell crab and crab cake) as well as the sliced veal dinners. Our meal was topped off with a delicious tart dessert shared by the group.Special Features: