4934 Wisconsin Avenue
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matisserestaurantdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 244-5222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Weekend Brunch (Saturday and Sunday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Bodin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Matisse Restaurant offers full catering services. Please inquire further by contacting Fritz Siegfried or Deanna Siegfried at 202 244 5222. .
- Private Party Facilities: 175 seated, 2 floors; 200 cocktail style
- Private Party Contact: Deanna Siegfried 2022445222
- Special Events: 2 Private Dining Rooms Available on the Second Floor. Terrace Room Seats up to 25; Wisconsin Room up to 75. Chef's Table 8-12 guests Available By Advanced Reservation Only.
A word from Matisse
Matisse Restaurant, located between Chevy Chase and Upper Northwest, provides Contemporary French Fusion cuisine to the neighborhood locals and power players of Washington. In a space designed by Thomas Pheasant, guests dine on the freshest seasonal, organic,and local ingredients in a chic and elegant atmosphere. French Doors, and Sweeping Design lend an airy feel to all four dining rooms. Private Dining Spaces and the Chefs table in the wine cellar are available for special occasions, or simply a special treat. Chef Thierry Bodin takes great pride in the innovative menu, leaving guests anticipating their next visit to Matisse and eager to return again and again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matisse reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (42)special occasion (36)romantic (25)great for brunch (20)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (6)hot spot (2)Show More
- Excellent brunchnewtah2Dined on 11/8/2014The service at Matisse was excellent. The waiter was attentive and accommodating. The atmosphere was pleasant and quiet and the food was delicious and very attractively presented. We will be back when we are in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dining w nice foodaudieleeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Such a beautiful restaurant, great for conversation and friendly attentive staff. Why then is the food just normal and not fantastic? Steak was lovely, brussel sprouts tasteless mushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An elegant brunchGlobalDinerDined on 11/2/2014This is a delightful place for a grown-up brunch. The menu is diverse (breakfast treats to classic main dishes). The average age of the guests was about 40, which is a pleasant surprise for this long-term resident of a college town. The beignets are abrosiacal - worth the trip for a splurge!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/26/2014Eggs Benedict were barely warm...looked good and tasted okay but felt like they had been sitting for awhile.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Service was not that great... Have been here many times.... My dessert was left on the tray... Had to ask several times for the bill.. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT>>>>Special Features:
- GSCMJOEDined on 10/24/2014Matisse is always excellent and their ability to consistently provide superb food is the true mark of a great restaurant. The lamb shank was tasty, tender and on a bed of exquisite mashed potatoes. Beet salad is a wonderful starter and the apple fritter dessert was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loud!!FriedaDined on 10/24/2014The food is fabulous in this restaurant but sadly the good food was overshadowed by a noise level that was so loud it was impossible to hear the other people at the table speak. I could not wait for the dinner to be over so I could get out of the restaurant and into the peace and quiet......
- Pricey, but GoodDCDinerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Not many if any inexpensive options at this Tenleytown standout. Lots of seafood choices to keep the seafood lover happy. Meat eaters' options are fewer, but tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!SmurfschnurrDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant exceeded our expectations. It has a lovely warm ambiance, and space between tables so you don't feel crowded in at all. The food was fantastic, and the service attentive. A real find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsBearVIPDined on 10/17/2014This is ours neighborhood go to restaurant. Never disappoints and the staff is most welcomingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014I took my mom here for an early birthday dinner on Friday night. I booked a reservation on opentable, but when I arrived, I was told that I should've called in order to sit at a regular table rather than the high bar stool-like tables across from the bar. Overall, the food was good. I had shortribs and my mom ordered a white fish (one of the specials). My only complaint was that we had three different waiters throughout the course of the meal and I was never sure whom to ask to refill the water. Prices for the dinner menu are a little high, but the restaurant is a good place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- hidden (?) gemnews67VIPDined on 10/12/2014Matisse is a very fine restaurant; I have dined there several times and expect to return; the food selection is great as are the daily specials.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty restaurantTxshimDined on 10/12/2014One of the best restaurants in DC. Food and service were both good and price was reasonable. I was there for Brunch and will go back for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Night is Kind of SpecialGSCMJOEDined on 10/5/2014Matisse made this night, a special night. The food was sensational along with the service. I never drink American red wines but, by the recommendation of the waiter, I tried and enjoyed a great California red. Red beet salad with goat cheese, magnificent. Pasta with crab meat in an exquisite cream sauce was pure heaven. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Saturday BrunchmarycanaryDined on 10/4/2014Friends met for a delicious and leisurely brunch--truly enjoyable!Special Features:
- Birthday dinner delightRicksterDined on 9/27/2014This was to celebrate my wife's birthday. A lovely meal, great wine list, and a general feeling of being well cared-for. We may make it a tradition!Special Features:
- New favoritetartegninVIPDined on 9/12/2014"Discovered" Matisse recently and gave it a try for dinner. What a lovely place - definitely a new top three as we discover places to dine near our new home. Only downside was a braying entitled table of three nearby - almost ruined dinner but we decided to be amused rather than annoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matisse...neighborhood gem!NYCdineDined on 9/6/2014We had a lovely, quiet dinner at Matisse recently. The food was delicious. We were not rushed and our waiter was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new fave!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/5/2014We had originally had reservations at another restaurant but due to a large pile up we had to find someplace closer. We saw the menu and thought it looked it. It was better than good it was fantastic! I ended up keeping my broth from my mussels it was so good and couldn't part with it. The short ribs were phenomenal as was the snapper. We will definitely be going back to this lovely restaurant!Special Features:
- Lovely presentation as artpaokansasVIPDined on 8/19/2014It was a dark day and the sun was not out, so the restaurant was dark, especially the front. It looked closed. We sat in the back and were given a table for four even though there were only two of us. Thoughtful. The food was very good, actually, especially the warm bread served beforehand. The presentation of the food was a piece of art, and I didn't want to disturb it! This is a very good place for a winter weekend brunch and you can count on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014The food was first rate... The atmosphere pleasant... The service was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightBethDined on 8/12/2014The food is consistently exceptional. We have gone here many times and never been disappointed. It is a great neighborhood star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Did I Miss ThisBDimeVIPDined on 8/5/2014Tenleytown treasure hiding alongside the west side of Wisconsin Ave. Decor is divine. Food is delicious. Wine is so fine. Service is on point. It really is lovely. Love the room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits the right notesJohnandHopeDined on 7/29/2014I particularly enjoyed the Pappa al Pomodoro--a Tuscan tomato and bread soup. It typifies Cafe Matisse--a classic dish, yet fresh, seasonal and bursting with flavor. My wife said the Seared Georges Banks Sea Scallops were superb.Special Features:
- The following 511 reviews are from the Matisse reviews archive.
- Nice eveningcheesecakemikeDined on 7/24/2014Nice neighborhood fine dining restaurant. We sat upstairs where it was quiet and romantic. Server was excellent. The food was very good except I felt the mussels themselves were very small for the price. The flavor was good and my wife enjoyed the sauce with the artisnel breads which were served. The fish was cooked correctly and the pasta dish my wife had was also good. The best was left to last which was a fresh baked plum tart done in a puff pastry shell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/23/2014A "go-to" restaurant when you want to be able to hear yourself speak while eating high quality food and drinking from a notable wine list. Especially if you live or work in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- LoveDined on 7/23/2014Good food, good service and good ambience thank you to the owner to allow us to have lunch after the kitchen was closed due to the delay of the groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently pleasingDogDocDined on 7/22/2014We have gone to Matisse for years. The most amazing part of the collective experience is that it is consistently terrific. The food is great. The staff is great. This is a testament to the management. You can tell that this is a family run restaurant and that this family takes pride in creating a relaxing, fun experience for everyone. We will always be patrons of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodfansfoodfansVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was delightful as always and the selections were broad and interesting.Special Features:
- A quiet gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014If you want to have a nice lunch and actually be able to talk to your companions, Matisee is the place for you. The food is very good, the setting lovely, and the ambiance lively but quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- briaaDined on 7/12/2014Had a wonderful dinner with our friends. The food was really delicious and the service was impeccable. The wine list is an excellent one and also very reasonably priced. We had an excellent time.Special Features:
- Matisse had an off nightRKHKDined on 7/5/2014We like Matisse. This visit was less impressive. The food was good but not notable. Service was fine. They messed up my reservation, but we sat at the bar table and it was quiet and comfortable.Special Features:
- Excellent menu, very well prepared.amateur2chefDined on 7/3/2014The only objection was the noise level and crawded room, the tables too close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2014We can always count on a first rate meal - both brunch and dinner - at Matisse. The restaurant had accommodated our online request for a specific seating area - and the service was superb (as it always is). Evening atmosphere is wonderful and the food was outstanding. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect Every TimexnaybrusselsproutsDined on 6/28/2014Matisse hits all the right notes: welcoming, charming, great food, great owner and wine list. It's not only a neighborhood gem, it's a great restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!eatwellVIPDined on 6/21/2014Everyone in our party of four had a wonderful dining experience. My entree was excellent. The restaurant was full but the noise level low so we are able to converse easily. I really like to decor of the restaurant.Special Features:
- LovelyAdianaDined on 6/13/2014Great food and perfect atmosphere. Everyone should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but unimpressive waiterokn310Dined on 6/9/2014Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the bistro ambiance where conversation did not require shouting. We were greeted and seated by a charming gentleman, but our server seemed like he would rather be somewhere else. He exhibited no personality and his grim facial expression never change. His less than stellar behavior didn't ruin our evening, but it did nothing to enhance it. We will definitely return, but with the hope of a better trained waiter providing the service.Special Features:
- LovedItVIPDined on 6/7/2014We eat here often and have for many years. It never fails to be absolutely wonderful in every respect. Still one of the best dining experiences in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceRDK058VIPDined on 6/7/2014Food and service were very nice and the entire dining experience was totally enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.