Matisse Ocean Front Restaurant
1300 Ocean Ave
Belmar, NJ 07719Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matisse Ocean Front Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matissecatering.com/
- Phone: 7326817680
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Dinner Hours:
Open 6 Nights a Week: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Wall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Whether your looking for the formal to the informal we can customize any menu to suite your needs. Our dedicated staff of catering professionals can help you plan your backyard bbq or sitdown wedding. Please call us for details.
- Entertainment: Join us during the summer on Monday Nights we feature Rasta Lobsta. Live island music and lobster specialties. Check our website for upcoming entertainment.
A word from Matisse Ocean Front Restaurant
Matisse can accommodate small or large groups and any dietary restrictions. Open all year round with seasonal oceanfront out door dining. Please feel free to bring your own beer wine or champagne.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matisse Ocean Front Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Ocean viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012Enjoyed the Fulton Fish Market special - Two for one Fridays 5:30 - 7 pm. Great for a group as well as a couple. View of the ocean. Great serviceSpecial Features:
- Just wonderful! The waitressJaneDined on 10/3/2012Just wonderful! The waitress (Melissa) was a doll. My friend (who actually is a chef herself) was as impressed by everything as I was. The food was simply amazing. We will most defintely be back!Special Features:
- Good thing it has a viewRichVIPDined on 9/29/2012Great appetizer trio special but the entrees were very unremarkable. Average service. Extremely loud tables of 10 or more made it more like a sports bar environment.Special Features:
- Fine dining on the beachjasonVIPDined on 9/15/2012If you are anywhere near Belmar NJ, Matisse is a destination dining experience. Set on the beach, you look through french windows at the surf as you dine, or you may choose to dine on the lovely deck. The service staff included a friendly greeting and quick seating, not always true when it is crowded. The wait staff was most attentive and knowledgeable. Each dish, with the exception of an on the dry side short rib was perfectly done and presented. With just a word to the waiter, we were comped for the unsatisfactory dish. This is now a BYO restaurant, and they do allow wine to be delivered to the restaurant, something we did once, and to our surprise it was not too dear to do so. We look forward to our third visit to Matisse!
- What a disappointment. IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012What a disappointment. I have had far superior food at my neighborhood diner. I think they better rethink their cook (cant be called a chef).
- The upside to this place isNYCDinerVIPDined on 9/1/2012The upside to this place is BYOB. The downsides include inability to seat you at your reservation time, slow service, food that is diner quality at best. I would not recommend eating here. And if you do, avoid the soft shell crab - it's deep fried like KFC.
- Service and food choices andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2012Service and food choices and quality was very good!Special Features:
- Go on a Friday.Lbl28Dined on 8/24/2012We hadn't been to Matisse in about ten years and after reading current reviews we were confident that it would be as good as we remembered. My cousin who was joining us was less optimistic. It is as beautiful as ever, service was attentive and the menu had a wide variety of choices. When we learned that the four entree specials were " two for the price of one" we couldn't believe it! Fortunately we were all able to order from that list which added to our enjoyment of the evening. Food was cooked to perfection. My cousin raved about the crab cakes and she is very picky. The mahi mahi was excellent as well. Go on a Friday!Special Features:
- Ambitious menu, sloppy attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2012Ambitious menu, sloppy attention to service, prices out of line for the area. We paid $33 for 4 large sea scallops. Gorgeous view of the beach. Go early unless you don't mind shouting over dinner. We paid $225 for 5 people. (BYOB and 1 desert)Special Features:
- a little too loud for anyhappymomDined on 8/11/2012a little too loud for any conversation. also very dark. interesting menu, appetizers were greatSpecial Features:
- Great place, great view, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2012Great place, great view, great food. make sure you try the watermelon lime soup!Special Features:
- Food and service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012Food and service was excellent. Had a reservation for 4 and changed it to 6 on arrival. They were able to accommodate us in 15 minutes. Right on the Ocean. Great view. Will definitelybe back. Hope it stays open all year, not just the season.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012I had high hopes for Matisse as there are few outstanding in my area. The presentations were lovely, but the food was fair at best. My wife and I were there for dinner, which I would not do again. However, I may give it a try for lunch as the ambiance is so nice.
- What a great place to enjoyFrostyVIPDined on 7/22/2012What a great place to enjoy great food, watching the ocean and have air contidioning to boot!Special Features:
- Food just wasn't good andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/21/2012Food just wasn't good and to top it off, our waitress disappeared. We had to finally ask another waitress for our check and our waitress (Rebecca), finally came, dropped our check on the table. No "would you like dessert" or goodnight. She never once asked us how our food was, she probably already knew it wasn't good. It's too bad since the place does have a lovely view of the ocean.
- Lovely atmosphere. The waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2012Lovely atmosphere. The wait staff; however, was too eager to remove plates. They could use a bit more training.
- It was my first time to visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2012It was my first time to visit Matisse, a restaurant that I have always seen but never been to. Much to my surprise, the food was fantastic with fresh combinations of seafood. The presentation was wonderful as we sat looking out onto the ocean while dining. I would go back and would certainly recommend this upscale dining experience to friends. Thank you for great service and great food. mwSpecial Features:
- This was our second time toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2012This was our second time to Matisse and we were disappointed. Our 1st time (back in 2007), it had a much more upscale look and feel. While it's lucky to have the great ocean view, the inside decor is really tired and in need of a big overhaul including furniture, linens, paint, etc. Won't go back until it's redone:(Special Features:
- If this restaurant was located in SOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2012If this restaurant was located in Spring Lake it would be packed. The food was very good and the atmosphere and view was lovely.
- The location is great withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012The location is great with ocean view. The atmosphere is romentic. The service is great but the food is average.Special Features:
- Overall, a very good diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/27/2012Overall, a very good dining experience. Service was friendly and efficient even though they only had one server working the night we were there. There was a fairly long delay between our appetizers and entrees, but that just gave us more time to appreciate the view of the beach and ocean from our window front table. The food was very good. Started with the crab stuffed avocado (excellent) and the goat cheese ravioli (very good, though I thought the accompanying pineapple chutney was a bit heavy on the onions, which overpowered the fruit a bit). For entrees we had the rack of lamb (truly excellent) and the pepper crusted tuna (good, but it was not as flavorful as we were expecting). Prices were fair for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Just okRetailgirlDined on 6/20/2012This restaurant is a mixed bag and could probably be 3.5 stars. The restaurant is set on the boardwalk so the view of the beach is really very nice and romantic. Unlike previous reviews we found the service to be very good. The mixed comes in the food. On the appetizer size the only must have is the raviolis w/goat cheese. On the entrees we ordered the scallops, fried chicken and lamb chops and all were just fair. Now the deserts is where Matisse excelled. They were all fabulous, a must get being the trio of creme brulee.Special Features:
- Brunch buffet surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/17/2012We've eaten here many times before but father's day was the first brunch. i usually do not like brunch buffets but was pleasantly surprised. The food was good with a nice variety. The service was spot on.Special Features:
- Attentive Staff, Memorable BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2012We really enjoyed Father's Day Brunch at Maisse Ocean Front Restaurant. When they say "Ocean Front", they mean it! It is virtually right on the beach with a wonderful view. It has an "old boardwalk type pavillion" style with huge windows that allow in the vista. The staff was friendly and attentive. Hostess Jamie called me to confirm my Open Table reservation and advise that Matisse is BYO wind or beer. Food was delicious and diverse for a brunch - omelette station, fried french toast (really yummy), carving station, crab legs, mussels, chafing dishes, salads, desserts,and more. Good strong coffee, too! Go early - Matisse does not have onsite parking. Bring quarters for parking along boardwalk, park free in town. Well Worth It!Special Features:
- Just wonderfulpartyof4Dined on 6/17/2012Fathers day brunch never disappoints! Great variety of food incl. a lot of shellfish Salmon, sirloin, crab legs, oysters, where can you get that for 29 pp Fantastic views, good service, just a great experience all around. We've made this our annual fathers day traditionSpecial Features:
- unexpectedly delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/17/2012the food was amazing, i wouldn't have expected it to be that good judging by the looks of the place, i thought it would be ok food but it was the BEST french toast i've ever had, the BEST grilled asparagus, the BEST salmon, the BEST mussels. this place was worth the 1 hour drive for me... Service isn't so great but the food makes up for it. The desserts were all pretty bad with the exception of the tiramisu (i am a pastry chef so i have high standards)Special Features:
- Matisse: a work of artjasonVIPDined on 6/16/2012This was a good find on our weekend jaunt to the Jersey shore. Although we called to say we would be late, and had to wait over a half hour (it was a Saturday night) the hostess found a table for us on the veranda, great view of the ocean. The service was great, if a little slow which was fine for us, leisurely diners that we are. You should post that this is a BYO. They do have a wine/beer delivery service that was not terribly expensive, beats the usual restaurant markup. When we are in the area with friends, we will bring them here, food was outstanding, melt in your mouth calamari (a great feat), crispy soft shell crabs, and, for an oceanfront place, killer fried chicken. The relaxed atmosphere and fine food was a great combination!Special Features:
- Great view/food. Not great service.BTeufVIPDined on 6/2/2012The restaurant features a great view as its right on the ocean. The full moon over the ocean gave it a nice romantic vibe. Food was very good and the portions were all decent sizes. Only negative with this place, and it was a big one, was that the service was terrible. After taking our order we didn't see our waitress again until we needed the check. We had to stop servers just to get a refill on a glass of water. Considering this is a BYOB I have no clue as to why she was so busy considering the servers brought out all the food? Due to this we skipped out on ordering the dessert which we'd been looking forward to.Special Features:
- Always consistently delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2012One of our favorites especially for the soft shell crabs Many delicious dishes sold and enjoyedSpecial Features:
- don't match your boyfriend'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2012don't match your boyfriend's polo.. you'll look dumb.Special Features:
- Great birthday mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/28/2012Food was amazing. We loved every course, and they were memorable...service was slow, which was odd since the restaurant was mostly empty...Decor is "tired" and this restaurant could look amazing given its prime location...but I would definitely return for their amazing food!Special Features:
- It's all about the view! NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/26/2012It's all about the view! Nice decor and good food. The service leaves much to be desired however. The Hostess seemed overwhelmed and had difficulty efficiently seating parties upon entering leaving a crowd in the front of the room. The Waite staff were young and inexperienced; most likely college students down for the season. We had the misfortune to be seated next to a loud table of 6 who repeatedly announced " we are from Staten Island." The ocean view forgives a multitude of sins.Special Features:
- DisappointingNJgrandmaVIPDined on 5/26/2012What a disappointment! It's a spectaular spot with so-so food. The tuna (which they say is the highest grade) had no taste, was tough and looked like it probably had been frozen. The mashed potatoes which were served with all of our dinners were luke warm and seemed like they had been sitting around for a while. The waiter was good but the busboys weren't well trained. The best part of the meal was dessert an ice cream cookie thing. There are far better places to have an expensive dinner, too bad because Matisse certainly has the best location.Special Features:
- All-Time Jersey Shore FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2012Matisse is an all-time favorite with my family. We've celebrated engagements, weddings, friendships and birthdays here. The people, especially Jamie Velez, the manager, are always welcoming and provide super service. The food is out-of-this-world amazing. And sitting with the beach and ocean right there as you eat- priceless! One of the best restaurants around the Jersey Shore!Special Features:
- Restaurant was great. ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2012Restaurant was great. Servers were great. Food was great. Hostess not so much.Special Features:
- Serivce was quite poor. WejeffVIPDined on 5/5/2012Serivce was quite poor. We were very suprised. The food was not as we remembered it. The restaurant had a strange odor. Bad overall experience.Special Features:
- The night we went, there hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2012The night we went, there had been an earlier wedding.I don't know how many people were walk-ins without reservations,but it didn't seem too busy. At first there were about six tables occupied,two hours later there were a dozen or so and service really slowed down.Two people at our table ordered sodas, one was forgotten & had to be re-ordered. We ordered 2 appetizers,and again,one had to be re-ordered. The food was all delicious, but it seemed like the staff (moving around like crazy!) was over-whelmed. We had been here for Sunday brunch,and service was a lot quicker. I don't know if this was due to having had the wedding party earlier (less staff,tired staff?) We'd go again,though.Special Features:
- Booked a 6pm reservation.MogoVIPDined on 5/5/2012Booked a 6pm reservation. We show up right at 6 and there is a sign up saying they are opening at 6:30. No call or email. Very inconsiderate.
- Perfect BrunchFlyerschikDined on 4/29/2012I had wanted to have dinner here last year but my boyfriend is picky and there weren't many options. It seems their dinner menu has changed but we decided to go there for brunch on another getaway. The view is reason alone to eat here. Right on the beach it doesn't get anymore perfect. The selection for the brunch was good. It was a buffet and there were many salads, grilled vegetables, crab legs. They also had fried chicken, a carving table, breakfast meats and an omelet station that my boyfriend never did find. In addition there were small "special tastings" from the kitchen available. They had a granola crusted french toast that was delicious! I'm happy to also say they did charge me the child price because I've had gastric bypass!Special Features:
- Very good, innovative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/26/2012Very good, innovative menu and food to go with the outstanding ocean views. Great for special occasion. All this and BYOB. Great value.Special Features: