Mateo's Cocina Latina
214 Healdsburg Avenue
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Mateo's Cocina Latina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mateoscocinalatina.com/home/
- Phone: 7074331520x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thur-Mon 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Wed-Mon 4:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 11:30am-4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Mateo Granados
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: LOOKING FOR OFF-SITE CATERING? Mateo Granados Catering offers complete catering services in your home or business
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information or Quote.
Mateo's Cocina Latina
- Private Party Facilities: Reserve your special party space now at Mateo’s Cocina Latina! For garden brunches or festive fiestas Mateo’s garden patio is perfect for group celebrations or take over a section of the restaurant for your special group dinner.
Send us an email at email@example.com
For information or Quote.
Mateo's Cocina Latina
- Private Party Contact: Anthony DeMaria, Edgar Guzman 7074331520x
A word from Mateo's Cocina Latina
In a delicious mix of cultures, the Yucatán-born chef Mateo Granados has created a unique signature that celebrates rigorously sourced local and sustainable Sonoma ingredients infused with the vibrant regional flavors of his homeland, crafted with classic French finesse, and sparked with playful spirit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mateo's Cocina Latina reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (36)fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (18)great for lunch (18)special occasion (13)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014I thought the food was OK. The service was pleasant. I would not go back.
- Very bad experience, food 👎NevergobackDined on 8/22/2014We brought friends from Hawaii to eat Friday night, every dish was mediocre and the dish my friend ordered never came, the mussel dish, even though our food arrived and when she asked where her dinner was she was told they were out of that dish and to order something else!!! Also she had ordered a tequlla drink that was undrinkable and they billed us even though it was sent back😩
- don't miss this Healdsburg gemsunshineDined on 8/21/2014Mateo's is an amazing experience--authentic (and very high class) Yucatan food, prepared and served by a delightful staff & chef...at a family outing we all felt like we had dined at someone's home - inviting, warm, and relaxing. Despite the fact that Healdsburg's dining scene has ramped up lately, Mateo's keeps pace and clearly ranks among the best places in town. Ingredients appear to have been picked from the surrounding vegetable gardens that very day, and the menu is creative and exciting.Special Features:
- eagereaterDined on 8/16/2014Very good food. A find. We eat in Healdsburg frequently, and this was our first experience at this restaurant. It stacks up well against anything else Healdsburg has to offer.
- Best hamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Best hamburger in a town full of great burgers. Absolutely perfect. Flan was terrible. Tried too hard to make it different. Two salads: tomato and fig was very good, the other salad was delicious, but a dissappointment. It was $15-$17(?) peach and goat cheese. The greens were delicious, but there were only 3 slices of peach, not even a half of a peach, and very tiny bits of goat cheese. It was as if they ran out of ingredients. We were splitting it 3 ways, so 1 peach slice, hardly any cheese. Delicious dressing. Would definitely go back. Very nice staff. Get the flan off the menu. Bad last impression. It had a foam on top that tasted like goat's milk to me. Yuk! I give it 4 stars because there were some great items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMisterDDined on 8/16/2014The staff was very friendly and the food was great. Additionally they had a large list of tequilas and several unique margaritas. I had the "Caliente" margarita, which was one of the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatsVIPDined on 8/16/2014wonderful every time we have been there - one of my favoritesSpecial Features:
- 3rd visitSonomaHomeDined on 8/7/2014It keeps getting better. Love the chic play on Yucatan dining (Mexican with creative imagination) my margarita sensational. Service was awesome and helpful. From homemade crispy chips(gluten free naturally) right thru to amazing dessert. I will bring more friends as I'm proud of the great Healdsburg find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerABrownNJDined on 8/6/2014The food we ordered was indeed very good, but this place had been hyped so much that maybe we were expecting too much. We'll always try good Mexican food and good cocktails, but we thought it might stand out more to us than it did. Don't hesitate to go here, but there are a few better spots in town in our opinions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wasn't really for usstevexDined on 7/31/2014We have heard of Mateo's on Food Network's "Unique Eats", specifically about the tamales with suckling pig, so each of us had a dish with the suckling pig in it. We didn't find it to be all that great. Different tastes, I guess. The service was friendly and prompt, and the cocktails were good. We had no real complaints about the place, just found the food lacking.Special Features:
- Loved itHbgLocalDined on 7/30/2014Creatively prepared fresh local ingredients. Attentive, friendly servers. The flavors of the Yucatan are beautifully showcased by the talented Mateo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BebeSharkVIPDined on 7/28/2014The food is fantastic...unbelievable tastes! The staff are very friendly and helped greatly with a very extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Not Tex-MexsrobDined on 7/23/2014Mateo's was a genuine "find." We thought it would be your usual Mexican food restaurant. A fusion of Mayan, Spanish and French flavors make this a real treat. The food is organic, and from sustainable local farmers. The menu was imaginative, the offerings were found in many different categories from starters, small plates and full entrées. There is a full bar. The margaritas were awesome. There is outside as well as inside dining. Service was attentive and the waiter, front-of-the house manager as well as Mateo, the owner/chef checked on the table. It is downtown Healdsburg and near the plaza. We look forward to returning and I have told many of the positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration!klynDined on 7/21/2014At the request of my daughter-in-law, we had a small (6 people) celebration for her birthday at Mateo's Cocina Latina. The drink menu was interesting and fun to read, and we chose a variety of cocktails, exchanging sips with each other. The waitress paused at our table as she delivered other diners' meals to show off the lovely dishes and explain them to us....that was extremely helpful. Service was a bit slow, but we were enjoying each other's company, so we didn't mind. Everyone seemed to enjoy their dinner choices. My husband and I almost never order dessert, but tonight was an exception.Special Features:
- Unforgettable dining experience!Sccop9Dined on 7/20/2014Not only is the atmosphere festive, but the service is outstanding and the food is unforgettable! We will be coming back to this restaurant again and again. The suckling pig tacos are to die for! And we had quite a treat at the end of the meal with the apricot sorbet made tableside using liquid nitrogen. What a fun evening. We even were lucky enough to meet Mateo and to have his insights into his restaurant and into his culture. I highly recommend this establishment to those who are looking for the best of the best!Special Features:
- Eclectic delightwhynotDined on 7/19/2014The menu invites a careful read; real foodie inventions, great local sourcing (one of my favorite features); the cocktails are delish and not overpowering. Lovely outdoor space, like being on a mini-vacation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014Have been to Mateo's before for both lunch and dinner. Had 2 tacos this time for lunch. Fish taco used breaded fish. Did not care for it. Pulled pork taco was good. Service was very good but did not think the food was exceptional this time.
- good foodCaveatemptorDined on 7/17/2014Food was great, and the service excellent. We enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yucatan Mexican food- for realSand1117Dined on 7/7/2014We were blown away by the quality of the food. The salsa was amazing & the fried tortillas to dip were fresh. We sat outside in the back, nice quiet, roomy tables. Wait staff were friendly & patient when explaining the dishes. Food portions were generous & delicious. Margaritas & beer a nice change from wine! Nice environment for all ages & groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a must visit restaurant!WendyDined on 7/7/2014Awesomely fresh with local ingredients and a multitude of complexity and care in each dish. Staff was excellent and friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I would definitely go back! Got to have one of the many crafted margaritas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food in Northern Cal.TedGDined on 6/27/2014Fantastic food, wide ranging menu, attentive staff, great location... Can't wait to go back soon. Thanks so much Mateo for welcoming us to your culinary Graceland.Special Features:
- Excellent Local Mexican FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Mateo's followed through on their promises. We ate there Father's Day afternoon; each dish was prepared to the same standard of excellence. Almost all of the food was locally and organically sourced, and the dishes were truly Mexican, not CaliMex or TexMex. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceJWoolZDined on 6/14/2014Too many little things got in the way of a good experience but when we were asked how everything was my date explained that a dish she had was bitter. The chef, Mateo, came out later to confront her about her comment. A bit uncomfortable to say the least. He said he'd go taste the dish and return with his opinion...he never returned and nobody did anything about the problem. We paid and leftSpecial Features:
- Yucatecan Food in CaliforniaAUrupertDined on 6/14/2014Excellent food, very authentic, and reminded us of our many trips to Merida Yucatan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- multi-cultural cuisinewhynotDined on 6/7/2014Too often cuisines that borrow from multiple influences end up being curious, quirky or just plan weird. Not Mateo's. Branded as Latin cuisine, the awesome and delicious combinations at Mateo's delight and amuse and amaze. This food is theater. Mateo himself comes to your table and explains some of the cultural influences: Mexico, for sure, with emphasis on two of the best, Oaxacan and his native Yucatecan; then there are flavors of the Mediterranean (olive oils, herbs) and some from . . . wherever he chooses. France is at the c core of his cooking; what is labeled a mole sauce is actually a complex reduction with only the breath of roasted chiles to remind you of Oaxaca. And don't miss his extraordinary selection of mescales.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchCaptainVIPDined on 6/4/2014We went to Mateo's for a weekday lunch and it wasn't crowded at all. That said, the food really is terrific with a lot of choices on the menu - sort of noveau Mexican. The outdoor backyard was terrific and we really enjoyed dining at Mateo's.Special Features:
- Very Poor Service.enjoyeatingoutDined on 5/31/2014Knowledge of the wine list was lacking; The prices were missing on 1/3 of the offerings. I asked about price of a specific one and was told "between $ 30 - 40." Huh? It turned out to be $48. The touted "pumpkin seed crackers" that accompanied the guacamole were swapped out with regular corn tortilla rounds without mentioning the menu had changed. She opened our bottle of wine without showing us the label and proceeded to pour two full glasses without tasting first. The entrée took 45 minutes to arrive and our waitress had disappeared. The food was good but couldn't overcome the poor service. We hailed another server, who did a good job at the end.
- Must go !TrblVIPDined on 5/25/2014Mateo's is great ! The food is excellent and atmosphere is lovely. I would recommend dining outside. There are so many good choice, I wish we could have ordered more food !! Have the sorbet made table side- cool to watch being made. The only draw back was the service- there was not enough staff to wait on the customers. There were long gaps on time seeing our waiter. I would not let this stop you as I am hopeful they will get it resolved. A new Healdaburg favorite spot !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchwestmarinfoodieDined on 5/17/2014The salsa were great, good kick. The food overall was a little disappointing and not terribly unique. I had the ceviche and a small conical taco like thing. My sons plate was the best, chicken rice and beans.
- Never on a WednesdayEatsDined on 5/14/2014We were so disappointed on arriving for a Wednesday night birthday celebration dinner for two friends to learn that, on Wednesdays, there's a very limited dinner menu. VERY limited. We stayed and had an okay meal. The tacones which the restaurant is noted for were not on the menu. When we asked about that, we were told that they could make an olive oil guacamole tacone and a guacamole shrimp tacone. Given one of our party has a shellfish allergy, not a possibility. So disappointed to have this birthday celebration ruined. These kinds of restricted menus need to be made known to people when they're making reservations, whether by phone or online. Wish we had stayed across the street at Spoonbar to have dinner after our drinks there.Special Features:
- Awesome!PamelaDined on 5/12/2014Mateo does it once again! Fabulous and deserving the listing in the San Francisco Chron Top 100 Restaurants in the Bay Area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unacceptable servicecoastfoodieDined on 5/11/2014For a restaurant on the Chronicle's list of 100 best the services was totally unacceptable. We were seated on the patio in one of the four open tables - none of which had umbrellas. We moved after waiting 15 minutes (or more) to get a waitress's attention. Our appetizer appeared BEFORE our drinks and entrees weren't served together. Food was good but I wouldn't go again due to poor service.Special Features:
- Chef made it happenNapaKsDined on 5/11/2014I expected much less. I wasn't impressed with the menu selection. My wife was unable to eat the only option provided for a starter in a 4-course meal, and the chef personally came out to see what he could do for us. He made us both a special starter salad made of beets, green almond slices, and salty gape seeds that was ridiculously good. Every other course that came out pleasantly surprised me. Not kid-friendly necessarily, but they did offer my 3-year old a more kid-friendly option that what was presented. It made for a great Mother's Day brunch. Thanks, Mateo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to Mateo'sGuscoffierVIPDined on 5/9/2014A fine time at Mateo's with friends from Santa Rosa. Friendly and attentive service, but no push to turn the table. We enjoyed the cocktails, especially the Ultima Palabra and the Tequila Manhattan, then munched on the Matteo's version of chips and salsa, inventive and delicious. The entrees spanned the menu from the signature roasted pork to the black cod, the lamb enchiladas and the salmon. The only quibble was slightly overcooked veggies. We loved it once again (this was a second visit) and we'll be back for more.Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Mateo's Cocina Latina reviews archive.
- goodfoodjunkieDined on 4/25/2014Are you bored with the same old tacos, enchiladas and tamales? Mateo's artistry and style of cooking will definitely change your mind. Can't wait to go back, but I do recommend making a reservation well in advance as this place is BUSY! Everyone knows a good thing when they see one! Try the guacamole and pumpkin seed crackers - OMG! To die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2014One of my favorites in Healdsburg. Food fantastic - fresh, imaginative, and not typical Mexican. It's Yucatan! The patio is open.Special Features:
- Why did I wait so long?ShellacitaDined on 3/30/2014This was my first visit and Mateo's Cocina Latina did not disappoint!! My original thought was to just order an entree but after reviewing the specials & regular menu, we decided to order a bunch of smaller plates to get a wider variety of "yumminess". And we hit the jackpot of flavors... from my Margarita de casa to multiple types of tacones, ceviche, tacos & roasted beets Yucatan style!! Sorry, no room for dessert... this time:) I look forward to dining here on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Yucatan cuisinesunshineDined on 3/23/2014Mateo's is a good place that keeps on getting better--perfect for a sunny day (under lots of umbrellas) and festive fruit drinks, margaritas, and Yucatan-spiced tacos. Not your everyday Mexican fare, but instead a very ambitious attempt to recreate a terrific cuisine.Special Features:
- Great for Kids and adultsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/22/2014Mateos is that rare restaurant where adults love the food (and the super hot hot sauce) and kids love the food too. It is also a place where we go on romantic dates, and has one of the best patios in Healdsburg. Do yourself a favor and enjoy organic local produce prepared as real Mexican cuisine. Take the kids, they will feel welcome too, of just enjoy the beautiful patio with friends. Finally- a Tacon and a drink is the best way to start a long night.Special Features:
- Untypical MexicantriesnewthingsVIPDined on 3/13/2014From the guacamole (ice cream cones) to the flavorful ceviche every course has a little built in surprise. Flavorful combinations reminicent of the Yucatan. Sit outside, choose among the margaritas, relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.