1837 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mateorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3034437766x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30 - 3:00
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:00 - 6:00
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 9:00 - 2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Jansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
A word from Mateo
Mateo is a casually elegant, bustling, neighborhood Provencal restaurant. The cuisine features seasonal menus with organic fare sourced from local farmers. Mateo offers a dynamic wine list & breathtaking full-service bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Mateo - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (15)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)romantic (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The staff was friendly, but slow to respond to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed emotionsMontrachetDined on 9/6/2014The food at Mateo is always excellent and the wines are superb-service is as well. The deafening level of conversation taints the experience by making one shout across the table to a fellow dinerSpecial Features:
- Hit or MissisadinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was our second time at Mateo. We had a very nice experience the first time we went; food was great and service was good. This time, the server forgot my salad and then charged us for it. When we pointed it out, she said, "oh that's funny. i'll fix it." My husband's burger was great and the frites were super tasty. The croque monsieur was very good too. I ordered the risotto and it was super salty...to the point where is was almost inedible. We will give Mateo one more try and hopefully this visit was just a fluke.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysFrankVIPDined on 8/27/2014I took my family to dinner at Mateo. The food was great the service was great. The wait staff was friendly and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 8/21/2014We had a good time and enjoyed our meal. We didn't love one of the apps - peaches and tomatoes. Both are in season and we were excited for the farm to table dish but it was a disappointed. Neither tasted ripe enough and it was boring with olive oil, hardly any arugula or cheese with it. Other than than that it was great.
- Doesn't disappointLouisvillerezDined on 7/28/2014The food at Mateo is excellent. The pomme frites are wonderful but you can substitute the vegetable of the day if you're watching your waistline. I had the burger/fries and my wife had the chicken--delicious. The service is very relaxed (code word slow) but it is worth the wait. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Casual DinnerMattDined on 7/25/2014My date and I recently had dinner on the patio and it was a lovely evening structured around delicious French wine and great service. We only had a grouping of appetizers that we shared so dinner itself was fairly casual, but the restaurant was extremely accommodating and we never felt rushed in the 2+ hours that we were there. I've had a full dinner here before and the food was fantastic. Their patio is great in the summer time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food decent, patio mangycoloradomomDined on 7/23/2014If you are thinking about eating outside here, think again and go inside. Nice ambiance inside, but the patio outside is mangy, with the rickety tables, ugly parking lot location. They need some landscaping or something to disguise the street and parking lot a little better, and invest in some nicer more comfortable outdoor furniture. The small plates we ordered were good, but the vegetable risotto tasted like something from a box.
- Thoughtful MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014The menu was not large but it was very well put together. The food was along the same lines, we both had a sandwich of some kind that came with a heaping "bag of fries"!Special Features:
- Ok, but not greatHighPlainsDined on 7/9/2014I have really liked Mateo in the past. The food is generally very good, and it has a good vibe being a nicer place in the East Pearl neighborhood of Boulder. This time the restrooms weren't super clean and a few of the food items/desserts were overcooked, so I probably won't be back all that often with so many great options in Boulder.
- Amazing RissotoLLHHVIPDined on 7/9/2014I always enjoy Matteo, but this past visit was better than ever. The risotto was amazing! Always great to see a neighborhood staple keeping the quality so high for so long!Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday LunchbobbiDined on 7/7/2014As always Mateo didn't disappoint. Our birthday girl wanted a Nicoise salad, but they were out of fresh tuna, so they substituted fresh scallops. She loved it! Everyone else had a wonderful veggie quiche and lightly dressed salad. The orange pie (made similar to Key Lime) was divine! Our server was excellent and very attentive. Mateo even provides free parking for their patrons and this is a real plus on busy Pearl Street in Boulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joshuaDined on 7/2/2014fabulous server excellent appetizers won't dissapointSpecial Features:
- Food yes, service maybePattyDined on 6/27/2014We thought the food was good, but the service was lacking. When we were shown to our table outside, it had not yet been set. Took awhile for the waiter to come and take our food order. We finally asked another waiter to try to find him. After that, the service improved. For a Friday night, the restaurant was strangely quiet.Special Features:
- Boulder FavoriteFrenchie1974Dined on 6/20/2014French Bistro style with local fresh approach. Steak Frites, roast chicken, charcuterie plates all are consistent favorites along with daily specials and fresh inventive salads. Service is friendly and Zach always gives us a warm welcome and outstanding attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service!DaisyDined on 6/18/2014I dined with my mother on Wednesday, June 18th. I have been to Mateo many times and was shocked at the unbelievably poor service from our server. It took an age to get waited upon after being seated, we had to ask for tea refills, he did not know the quiche de jour, was unfriendly and indifferent. Extremely out of character for this restaurant. The $16 turkey avocado sandwich was about 1/4 inch thick and came on a bun that was burnt to the point of being inedible. If our server had ever asked, we would have sent it back, but we were starving. My mom will never come back. I spoke to a female server as well as the hostess and relayed our experience and they apologized.
- Very Good, local favoriteRobincoDined on 6/14/2014I had the Gazpacho (nightly special) which was excellent. The Steak Frites were tasty, but the cut was not as tender as I know a hanger steak to be. It was cooked perfectly though, the featured wine was very good and we had a fun night so I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager's Table???BeachloversVIPDined on 6/4/2014Although I know no table is guaranteed, I did ask for the corner table near the window. We arrived to an empty restaurant and though I again requested the corner table, I was told by the server that it was reserved for the manager who always sat there. The table remained empty throughout our stay. I think it odd that a manager would save the best for himself. This is the second time that I have had this experience. Not happy with this though the food and service are always very good, might try others before returning.Special Features:
- Really good Boulder experienceAndes9000Dined on 6/3/2014Wonderful meal setting, server knew his menu well and the wine was excellent. Would have like to see a few more "lighter" options for the entrees.Special Features:
- DeafeningGrandpaMikeVIPDined on 5/31/2014We only dropped in for a snack and couldn't have much of a conversation because of the noise. Other tables were almost shouting a their companions in order to be heard.The waiter couldn't hear us and we couldn't hear him. The charcuterie was ok. The wines by the glass quite good.
- Needs work to regain its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014Mateo used to be a favorite haunt, until some forgetful dinners there led me many of Boulder's other fine restaurants. A delightful recent lunch and happy hour experience gave me the confidence to try again and book a dinner for myself and visiting business associates. Between the poor service (20 minutes for initial drink order, then again for the 2nd round), unkempt patio (little effort given to create ambiance), and middling food (especially for the price), I left feeling like I made the wrong decision: Mateo didn't come close to delivering the exceptional food and service they once use to. With so many other great restaurants in Boulder, Mateo needs to refocus its efforts or they'll lose more long-time customers like myself.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014I have been to Mateo many times before but this was a disappointment. No sangria, no trout, no sweet potato fries...it was not what we had hoped. My chicken was well-done and the sauce was tasty but nothing special. Brought my boyfriend, who is a real foodie, and he was disappointed new. Is there new management?Special Features:
- Delicious food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014The food, service and ambience were excellent, but the acoustics for those who have hearing lose are poor. Probably will keep us from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 539 reviews are from the Mateo reviews archive.
- Happy Mothers Day!!ottergirlDined on 5/11/2014Mateo was the perfect place for our Mother's Day brunch. Although the restaurant was very busy with a holiday crowd, they made certain to have everything served perfectly. The Mimosas, beers and cappuccinos kept everyone happy until the amazing food arrived. The prices are right on target for this quality of food. We will certainly be back soon!Special Features:
- Mateo's Mothers Day Brunchdloves2eatDined on 5/11/2014Took my wife and 6 year old to Mothers Day brunch, food was great, had specialty cocktails to fit the occasion. Service folks paid special attention to our son which helped us enjoy the day all the more. I have been dining at Mateo for 10 plus years and it has never disappointed...a high recommendation for this quaint establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mateo - Great FindKevinDined on 5/10/2014My first time to Mateo - wonderful experience. Very good service, nice wine menu, and good fun. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodatingboulderharmonyDined on 4/25/2014The servers at Mateo were excellent. We were a large party of ladies and they catered to all our needs and were very friendly ( I invited one to join our kickball team and if he's reading this, you still totally should join us!). Food was reasonably priced and delicious. Drinks were a little pricey but that would be my only complaint.Special Features:
- Family BrunchDeetDined on 4/20/2014We were pleasantly surprised with the friendly atmosphere and especially our waiter David! He went out of his way to accomodate us with a couple of menu substitutions... which made our brunch delicious..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchEldoraDined on 4/20/2014We loved the atmosphere during our Easter lunch. The noise level was a perfect balance of conversations wafting throughout the dining room but not loud and interfering with our conversation. The service was personable, efficient, and classy. We loved the hamburger and croissant dishes! Oh, you've got to try the molten lava chocolate cake! We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2cnd time eating here ... fineArtofEatingDined on 4/12/2014First time we had a friend in from out of town and wanted to take them out for a nice meal and we all felt it was ... fine. Service was fine, food was fine, nothing more, nothing less. Recently a generous friend gave us a gift card here and so we decided to use it for our anniversary dinner. Again, the food was fine, it was good, but not outstanding or particularly memorable. The waiter this time was competent but seemed grumpy about having to work that night. When he realized we were just going to leave him the generous balance of the card as a tip, he was suddenly Mr. Friendly. Oh well, we still had a nice meal out, I don't regret going but doubt we'll be back.
- Not as good as I had hopedeightblackDined on 4/11/2014First, the food is excellent at Mateos and consistently high quality. Wine list will also not disappoint. Was my wifes birthday and we took another couple. We were disappointed that despite our early booking (6.16pm) we were seated closest to the kitchen, right in the middle at the back of the restaurant. In hindsight, I should have said something when we were seated, but didnt really want to make a scene and wasnt sure if the restaurant was fully booked. In the end, no one came and sat down at the tables behind us (towards the door and away from the kitchen). Thought the staff were ok - took a while for our server to come to us initially and didnt deserve his 20% tip of a meal at $440 for 4 (yes, we drank some terrific wine)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014This is the second time I've been to Mateo. Both times it was fantastic! Great food, great cocktails, great service. What else do you want? :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service - But NoisyPauletteDined on 4/5/2014Food is outstanding, and the service surpurb!! Probably not a great place to go for a quiet romantic indoor dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour and great service!YummiDined on 4/5/2014I haven't been to Mateo in many years and was delighted to see it was still a great restaurant! The service was fantastic and the food was delicious and the surprise of our visit (early, before going to the theater) was the great happy hour menu! Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuff happensfwlvr1VIPDined on 4/4/2014It was just a dinner with a friend but my first wine pick was not available and when the entre came my partners meal was wrong. The waiter acknowledged this and went to the kitchen to have the correct entre made. That created that awkward stage where you don't touch your entre for fear you'll be done by the time his arrives. Everyone was pleasant.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantDennisDined on 4/1/2014Mateo was a wonderful experience. The service was very good and the food outstanding. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Deliciousstujen2Dined on 3/29/2014We were so happy with this restaurant recommendation. My husband and I were able to relax and enjoy appetizers, entrees and desserts without feeling rushed. The service, food, and presentation were wonderful. we will return again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- front tablelocalDined on 3/21/2014we sat at the front group table. ate good food, drank good wine and made a few new friends. It was a very enjoyable evening. The staff also was very helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!LarryG1Dined on 3/18/2014I was looking for somewhere special to take my bride of 31 years for our anniversary. This was the perfect place. Mateos reminded us both of our favorite French restaurant in Maryland, the Cafe De Paris. My favorite there (and here) is the steak and Fritis! My wile loved her Salmon. Salads were incredible as were the desserts we took home to enjoy there. We will be back and will let all of our friends know about Mateo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Busy Lunch, Make a ReservationBeachloversVIPDined on 3/18/2014Was surprised that the restaurant was completely full for lunch on a Tuesday. So glad that I made a reservation. The food was excellent especially the French Onion Soup. The service was extremely slow. I think there was not enough staff to deal with the crowd. If the large numbers are a daily occurrence than there should be more staff. Too bad to mar such a lovely lunch with feeling that things are moving way too slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.