1837 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mateorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (303) 443-7766
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30 - 3:00
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:00 - 6:00
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 9:00 - 2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Jansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
A word from Mateo
Mateo is a casually elegant, bustling, neighborhood Provencal restaurant. The cuisine features seasonal menus with organic fare sourced from local farmers. Mateo offers a dynamic wine list & breathtaking full-service bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mateo - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (16)notable wine list (14)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (8)romantic (8)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- East End SurpriseMamamangeDined on 11/22/2014Living in Boulder we are used to all the great restaurants on the West End of Pearl Street. It was well worth the walk to Mateo. The Boulder First Bites menu was tasty and most enjoyable. I would recommend the bar tender's secret pour as your pre-dinner cocktail. The restaurant noted our celebration dinner with a small pour of sparkling wine which was a nice surprise - prefer it to cake. The wait staff worked as a seamless team so even with a very busy restaurant we didn't have to wait to be taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedDined on 11/21/2014The food was ordinary. The pork was dry! The pair for dessert was nothing special. Whole dinner was disappointing.
- Watch for u waiterNediteDined on 11/21/2014Our waiter was great in the beginning, checked back on our drinks and he never returned to the table till we were ready to leave. I wanted a glass of wine with my dinner, asked someone to tell him but he never came. In the end he brought a glass on the house for dessert. May trout was very good but my husban's risotto didn't meet our home version.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyfunfoodieDined on 11/20/2014Fun place to get together with friends for a tasty meal. A little noisy but still enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJimRDined on 11/19/2014Went during First Bite Boulder and had the three-course prix fixe menu. Appetizers were great, but it was downhill from there: dry pork tenderloin, watery polenta, tasteless gnocchi, undercooked hard pear deserts. On the plus side, they comped us a couple coffees to make up for the desert, and we had a couple very nice glasses of wine, but overall it was disappointing.
- Fantastic service and foodMelindaDined on 11/15/2014We tried this place during Boulder First Bites (Restaurant Week) and loved it. The service was impeccable, the food was fantastic and the drinks menu was outstanding. We will definitely be back for more. The weather was awful but I would love to go back and sit on the outside patio sometime too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, uncomfortable roomWestward81Dined on 11/14/2014Food was excellent, but the room was uncomfortable. Tables are very close together and wait staff and customers are constantly squeezing by tables. Felt like we were always having to keep our elbows in or scoot our chairs in to let people by. Also, the room is very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankVIPDined on 11/12/2014I really like this place and plan to return often. The only problem was that the heating did not work very well. Because of the cold weather it made dining a bit uncomfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss Mateo!AJTOO1Dined on 10/26/2014A tech glitch on the site prevented me from choosing my specific recommendations, but I would choose ALL but scenic view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty goodBiff99Dined on 10/18/2014Loved our apps and our entree. The mussels were superb and the lobster raviola was yummy. Large portions so come hungry. Wait staff is friendly and busy - just fine. Space is a little tight and energetically noisey but not overly so. Had fun and left full of good food.Special Features:
- No Longer On My Top-25 ListboulderfoodiesVIPDined on 10/11/2014I keep a Top-25 list of Boulder restaurants. We eat out often and have eaten at Mateo about ten times over the last 5 years. We've had "memorable" meals and "okay" meals, but we enjoyed the ambience - especially the outdoor dining - so we kept returning. The problem at Mateo isn't the food, it's the ridiculous wine prices. Even expensive restaurants offer a decent choice of reasonably-priced (i.e., under $50) wines. A bottle of wine doesn't have to exceed the combined cost of the food. Interestingly, we visually surveyed the room and found that almost everyone was ordering single glasses of wine instead of a bottle, which is what we did. This should be a clue to management that something is wrong. Sadly, Mateo is no longer among our Top-25.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014Such an excellent time with such personable arrive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysFrankVIPDined on 10/9/2014This is my go to spot for great meal ,unch or dinner.Special Features:
- not quite as sharpOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014I am a great fan of Mateo. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Boulder, have dined for dinner many times. I was unaware that lunch was even available so was excited to see it was. I was, however, disappointed because what is normally informed and prompt service, was inexperienced and slow and untrained (albeit friendly). Food was, as usual, excellent but took a very long time to come out (and at lunch that is not so good). We spent over 80.00 for lunch and left feeling "meh" about it.Special Features:
- frenchielizbVIPDined on 9/19/2014Good food, nice appetizer cheese tray w assorted meats. dinner steak and frits good, the coque messuire was not what we expected. The dessert was fabulous! Service goodSpecial Features:
- New Spot For UseatoutalotVIPDined on 9/18/2014Mateo is a new spot for us on our Boulder circuit. Very nice service, good food, knowledgeable wine steward. Despite the "patio"... eat inside. Trust us...That patio is in need of some TLC and at a bare minimum some form of screening from the decrepit wood railings and planters and parking lot...neither is befitting of the level of food or service. Ambience is much better inside!Special Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The staff was friendly, but slow to respond to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed emotionsMontrachetDined on 9/6/2014The food at Mateo is always excellent and the wines are superb-service is as well. The deafening level of conversation taints the experience by making one shout across the table to a fellow dinerSpecial Features:
- Hit or MissisadinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was our second time at Mateo. We had a very nice experience the first time we went; food was great and service was good. This time, the server forgot my salad and then charged us for it. When we pointed it out, she said, "oh that's funny. i'll fix it." My husband's burger was great and the frites were super tasty. The croque monsieur was very good too. I ordered the risotto and it was super salty...to the point where is was almost inedible. We will give Mateo one more try and hopefully this visit was just a fluke.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysFrankVIPDined on 8/27/2014I took my family to dinner at Mateo. The food was great the service was great. The wait staff was friendly and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 8/21/2014We had a good time and enjoyed our meal. We didn't love one of the apps - peaches and tomatoes. Both are in season and we were excited for the farm to table dish but it was a disappointed. Neither tasted ripe enough and it was boring with olive oil, hardly any arugula or cheese with it. Other than than that it was great.
- The following 558 reviews are from the Mateo reviews archive.
- Doesn't disappointLouisvillerezDined on 7/28/2014The food at Mateo is excellent. The pomme frites are wonderful but you can substitute the vegetable of the day if you're watching your waistline. I had the burger/fries and my wife had the chicken--delicious. The service is very relaxed (code word slow) but it is worth the wait. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Casual DinnerMattDined on 7/25/2014My date and I recently had dinner on the patio and it was a lovely evening structured around delicious French wine and great service. We only had a grouping of appetizers that we shared so dinner itself was fairly casual, but the restaurant was extremely accommodating and we never felt rushed in the 2+ hours that we were there. I've had a full dinner here before and the food was fantastic. Their patio is great in the summer time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food decent, patio mangycoloradomomDined on 7/23/2014If you are thinking about eating outside here, think again and go inside. Nice ambiance inside, but the patio outside is mangy, with the rickety tables, ugly parking lot location. They need some landscaping or something to disguise the street and parking lot a little better, and invest in some nicer more comfortable outdoor furniture. The small plates we ordered were good, but the vegetable risotto tasted like something from a box.
- Thoughtful MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014The menu was not large but it was very well put together. The food was along the same lines, we both had a sandwich of some kind that came with a heaping "bag of fries"!Special Features:
- Ok, but not greatHighPlainsDined on 7/9/2014I have really liked Mateo in the past. The food is generally very good, and it has a good vibe being a nicer place in the East Pearl neighborhood of Boulder. This time the restrooms weren't super clean and a few of the food items/desserts were overcooked, so I probably won't be back all that often with so many great options in Boulder.
- Amazing RissotoLLHHVIPDined on 7/9/2014I always enjoy Matteo, but this past visit was better than ever. The risotto was amazing! Always great to see a neighborhood staple keeping the quality so high for so long!Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday LunchbobbiDined on 7/7/2014As always Mateo didn't disappoint. Our birthday girl wanted a Nicoise salad, but they were out of fresh tuna, so they substituted fresh scallops. She loved it! Everyone else had a wonderful veggie quiche and lightly dressed salad. The orange pie (made similar to Key Lime) was divine! Our server was excellent and very attentive. Mateo even provides free parking for their patrons and this is a real plus on busy Pearl Street in Boulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joshuaDined on 7/2/2014fabulous server excellent appetizers won't dissapointSpecial Features:
- Food yes, service maybePattyDined on 6/27/2014We thought the food was good, but the service was lacking. When we were shown to our table outside, it had not yet been set. Took awhile for the waiter to come and take our food order. We finally asked another waiter to try to find him. After that, the service improved. For a Friday night, the restaurant was strangely quiet.Special Features:
- Boulder FavoriteFrenchie1974Dined on 6/20/2014French Bistro style with local fresh approach. Steak Frites, roast chicken, charcuterie plates all are consistent favorites along with daily specials and fresh inventive salads. Service is friendly and Zach always gives us a warm welcome and outstanding attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service!DaisyDined on 6/18/2014I dined with my mother on Wednesday, June 18th. I have been to Mateo many times and was shocked at the unbelievably poor service from our server. It took an age to get waited upon after being seated, we had to ask for tea refills, he did not know the quiche de jour, was unfriendly and indifferent. Extremely out of character for this restaurant. The $16 turkey avocado sandwich was about 1/4 inch thick and came on a bun that was burnt to the point of being inedible. If our server had ever asked, we would have sent it back, but we were starving. My mom will never come back. I spoke to a female server as well as the hostess and relayed our experience and they apologized.
- Worth the wait...CaliGirl31VIPDined on 6/15/2014This is a good place for dinner, but better if just a couple of you or small group. It can get pretty loud in the restaurant, but the patio is nice if the weather is good. One of the favorites is the chicken - it's perfection! The frites are excellent too. You really can't go wrong on any of the menu items - they are done so well. The only drawback is the last couple of visits we've made, the service has been painfully slow. Not sure if they are understaffed, and maybe it's been resolved since, but would suggest if you go, make sure you are comfortable with a leisurely evening.Special Features:
- Very Good, local favoriteRobincoDined on 6/14/2014I had the Gazpacho (nightly special) which was excellent. The Steak Frites were tasty, but the cut was not as tender as I know a hanger steak to be. It was cooked perfectly though, the featured wine was very good and we had a fun night so I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager's Table???BeachloversVIPDined on 6/4/2014Although I know no table is guaranteed, I did ask for the corner table near the window. We arrived to an empty restaurant and though I again requested the corner table, I was told by the server that it was reserved for the manager who always sat there. The table remained empty throughout our stay. I think it odd that a manager would save the best for himself. This is the second time that I have had this experience. Not happy with this though the food and service are always very good, might try others before returning.Special Features:
- Really good Boulder experienceAndes9000Dined on 6/3/2014Wonderful meal setting, server knew his menu well and the wine was excellent. Would have like to see a few more "lighter" options for the entrees.Special Features:
- DeafeningGrandpaMikeVIPDined on 5/31/2014We only dropped in for a snack and couldn't have much of a conversation because of the noise. Other tables were almost shouting a their companions in order to be heard.The waiter couldn't hear us and we couldn't hear him. The charcuterie was ok. The wines by the glass quite good.
- Needs work to regain its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014Mateo used to be a favorite haunt, until some forgetful dinners there led me many of Boulder's other fine restaurants. A delightful recent lunch and happy hour experience gave me the confidence to try again and book a dinner for myself and visiting business associates. Between the poor service (20 minutes for initial drink order, then again for the 2nd round), unkempt patio (little effort given to create ambiance), and middling food (especially for the price), I left feeling like I made the wrong decision: Mateo didn't come close to delivering the exceptional food and service they once use to. With so many other great restaurants in Boulder, Mateo needs to refocus its efforts or they'll lose more long-time customers like myself.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014I have been to Mateo many times before but this was a disappointment. No sangria, no trout, no sweet potato fries...it was not what we had hoped. My chicken was well-done and the sauce was tasty but nothing special. Brought my boyfriend, who is a real foodie, and he was disappointed new. Is there new management?Special Features:
- Delicious food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014The food, service and ambience were excellent, but the acoustics for those who have hearing lose are poor. Probably will keep us from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.