109 W Chapel Hill St
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mateotapas.com/
- Phone: 9195308700x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm and 5:00 - 10:30 pm; Friday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm and 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Saturday 5:00 pm - 12:00 am and Sunday 5:00 - 9:30.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mateo
Spanish Heart / Southern Soul from the crew at Vin Rouge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mateo - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
292 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (246)hot spot (149)special occasion (126)neighborhood gem (109)notable wine list (105)vibrant bar scene (91)romantic (77)good for groups (77)late-night find (37)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Mateo MagnificanceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2014Mateo is a must-dine experience for discerning culinary snobs and others who are looking for a unique and wonderfully delicious food experience. This was my third or fourth visit and the experience seems to get better each time. Loved the Beef Cheeks and leave room for desert. My guest who said they did not like Flan almost ate the entire portion before I got a bite. The bread pudding is excellent as well. Try it, you'll Love It!Special Features:
- Deliscious, reasonably priced, funBetsyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Our group of 5 had a delightful assortment of plates suited for a variety of dietary tastes and restrictions. The chicken croquette special was excellent, as were the lamb meatballs, calamari, duck, salads and desserts. We were happily sated but not stuffed which was ideal. And the bill was very reasonable for five (~$145 including tip and $18 for a sangria carafe). Will definitely be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeJoey211VIPDined on 10/23/2014Went for lunch and had a wonderful experience. Great tapas....very nice and relaxed service. Only reason we didn't have dinner was no reservations. If you get a chance...GOSpecial Features:
- great tapas restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014the best tapas restaurant in town although there is no many restaurants of this kind in durham or the triangle area , this is the best one , nice wine list , little expensive , but it is ok for time in time , highly recommend it !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodMMHillDined on 10/19/2014We had a group of 7 and tried just about everything on the menu and it was OUTSTANDING, although maybe just slightly overpriced, especially the $20 corkage fee (most places in the area are $10 to $15). It was quite loud so be prepared to nearly yell across the table, but the food is well worth it!!Special Features:
- MarymMarinemomDined on 10/17/2014FANTASTIC FOOD and SERVICE. We have eaten at MATEO's several times since joining DPAC and they NEVER disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mateo a MUST!betsy989Dined on 10/16/2014Really loved Mateo. The food, drinks, and service were terrific. The only downside for me was the noise level making hard to hear other people at the table. Don't understand why new restaurants can't do more too lower the noise level.Special Features:
- Love this!emazonDined on 10/16/2014Whenever we come to Durham, we always come to Mateo. The wine list is very interesting and the food is delectable. Makes me wish we lived closer-- I'd be here all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2014Mateo is always good! The food is excellent and there are a lot of fun food options from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Been to Mateo before, first time for lunch... Not a huge variety of opting for lunch, however the dinner menu is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of Spain in DurhamspanishfoodieDined on 10/15/2014I lived in Spain for several years and have yearned for the great wine and tapas that I used to enjoy while living there. Mateo brings me back to Spain. The tapas are excellent and authentic. The wine list is great and accessible to all price ranges from ~$26 - >$200 / bottle. They even have sidra (a very Spanish cider).Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014We were novices with ordering tapas, but our waitress was patient and helpful. We're heading to Spain next week with some knowledge of how to order there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceLezly24Dined on 10/14/2014Went for interview lunch and enjoyed it very much. Tapas great, service greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerStephEatsDined on 10/12/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner as we both love food and trying new places. Mateo was recommended to me, and I was told it is 1000X better than any other tapas in the area. When we arrived we noticed the restaurant was busy--that's a good sign! The ambiance was lovely--each table had a lit candle. The food was delicious and the price was lower than anticipated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DurhamVIPDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food, imaginative combinations. We love this place.
- excellent foodAddisonDined on 10/12/2014First experience at Mateo. Excellent food. Loved the ribs! Great atmosphere. Service wasn't ok. Hostess seemed unorganized and server wasn't super friendly. I would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!NCDADDined on 10/11/2014Wow - I had heard that this was a top spot in the Durham/Chapel Hill area. The recommendations were correct, the food is FANTASTIC. Went for dinner on a Saturday night prior to a DPAC show and the place was busy and packed. The Bar was full and energized. But our reservations (you NEED ONE) were right on time and we were lucky (for us) to sit upstairs in the quieter section. The food is perhaps some of the best Tapas (or any food) I have ever had. Each selection was better then the other. Special Praise to the Ribs and the Croquettes. We already made reservations for our next visit when family are in town. Don't miss this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We love Mateo for the flexibility - great place to stop in for a little snack after a show or bring out of town guests for a unique dining experience. This was our 4th visit to Mateo and we'll definitely keep coming back.Special Features:
- YummyZeppelinDined on 10/10/2014We went there for a casual Friday dinner and were pleasantly surprised. The food choices are excellent, the ambience and atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the service is quick. The portions are small and we were able to try a few dishes. Their wine and drinks menu is extensive as well. I had "Pepine" which is gin and tonic with pickled cucumbers. It was spectacular. This place is A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXPECTED MOREOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The buildup of this place was a little over the top. I would highly recommend the Pato y Arroz and the mushroom toast. They were amazing. The Calamari was also very good but the sauce was just okay. The Banderillas and Croquetas were also okay but nothing special. I would definitely go back and try some more things since I know a couple that are outstanding. I guess I don't like paying for the learning curve, and expected a higher percentage of dishes would wow me with a 4.5 star rating. But the 2 dishes I mentioned were 5 star dishes.
- Ace2735Dined on 10/9/2014The food was decent, but I was sitting so far away from my girlfriend and it was so loud that we felt as if we spent the evening dining alone. The tables were extremely close together as well, so we were bumping elbows with our neighbors, but sitting several feel away from each other. Not a conducive atmosphere for conversation... Especially in f you are on the quieter side.
- Worth itTravellinaDined on 10/7/2014Everything is well made, interesting and delicious. Great wine selection. Attentive, knowledgable servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, poor servicePearlSaysDined on 10/4/2014If a dining experience is judged by food only, this is a gem of a place. If, however, service is included in the overall experience, then this is a huge disappointment. The staff was disengaged, disinterested and misinformed on the menu and offerings. They barely dropped off the plates on the table...many times after a long wait and always without any care. Train the staff to engage with the customers and become knowledgeable with the types of food (tapas) being served. Once this happens, this will become a dining destination. Until then, it is a noisy, overpriced and disconnected place to grab a meal
- Great food, service - oklmee101Dined on 10/4/2014We had reservations and the hostess ignored us when we walked in, she was on the phone and didn't make eye contact. Once she finally looked up I told her we had reservations (it was already 5 minutes past our seating time) and then without explanation she had us wait for another ten minutes. Our waitress only remembered the specials when we asked and she seemed very upset/grumpy and didn't make eye contact at all. I have been there before and the food was great - the duck oversalted though - but the service was truly terrible. We were upstairs, maybe that's why?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for a date night!deason91Dined on 10/4/2014We dined in Mateo last Saturday, and were pleased with the prompt and courteous service. This restaurant is perfect for small groups. We really enjoyed sharing wonderful, small dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysJrzy54Dined on 10/4/2014Another good dining experience with friends. Food was great as usual. The Sangria is our favorite libation and flowed most of the night. The servers agree great...both patient and knowledgeable. We definitely look forward to our next dining experience at Mateo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014What you Matteo want to Saturday night with two friends. Third time in the restaurant so I was pretty familiar with the menu. The food was excellent the service was slow and spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD WAS AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014WE HAD A PLEASURABLE EXPERIENCE FOOD WAS GREAT ONLY DOWN SIDE WAS ALL THE UPPITY SOPHISTOS.Special Features:
- Great Food ExperienceieatVIPDined on 10/3/2014This is our second time at Mateo, and it's definitely worth repeated trips. They offer an eclectic cocktail list, including Sangria. All of the food was fantastic. I would especially recommend the mixed ham charcuterie. Also, their marrow dish is insane.Special Features:
- Amazing foodWolfpackguyDined on 10/2/2014I took the girlfriend here last week. The food was AMAZING! We had the pulled pork sliders, octopus carpaccio, albondigas (meatballs), chicken croquettes, and pork ribs. The ribs were both of our favorites - a crispy skin with a sweet sauce. I'm glad we tried the octopus, but I wouldn't get it again. It was well-executed, but a bit too smoky for me. The waitress was good but she was definitely busy, so if I had anything critical to say about her service it's that she didn't "sell" any of the items. The only thing critical about the ambience would be that the tables were a bit too close to each other to have an intimate convo without overhearing the people next to us. Overall, a great find and will be visiting again.Special Features:
- Hot SpotGianDined on 10/2/2014Everything we ordered was terrific. Seven plates, total, I think. Great service. Strong emphasis on meat was a bit off-putting for us as seafood lovers, but there was plenty to enjoy. Highly recommended. Noisy, but what do you expect at a hot spot?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and true tasty tapas in DurmOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014This is a go-to for me and a number of friends. Fit for taking friends and family from the big 5 cities of culinary chops (NYC, SF, Chicago, Boston, Miami), who always come away satisfied and/or impressed. My one suggestion would be to figure out a system for honoring larger reservations in a more timely and professional manner (not the best vibes from the female manager w short hair). Also could use an update to the cocktail list every so often (eg, throw in a mescal drink or the like!). All in all a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want something different.CarolinaDined on 9/26/2014Food is very good in general, and flavors are different than most of the other restaurants. It's not 100% real Spanish, but it's still good.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was very good, but the tables were so close together I felt like I was participating in their conversation. It didn't help that was busy and loud during our dinner, but I guess thats a Friday night at a bar/restaurant in downtown. I will definitly be coming back, but I might try a lunch or later after the crowd has slowed down.Special Features:
- Mateo raises the bar.DurhamSocietyDined on 9/26/2014The service has always been excellent each time. Call for reservations in advance for anything other than the early seatings. Be adventurous, try the specials. Last visit I had a delicious Pork Milanese and an Ox heart Pastrami boda-something ( small sandwich) Both first rate. I have had some of the best local shrimp in my life there. They are strictly about what is fresh, what is best from local sources. Small plates tapas Main St. /Five points view from the front window seats is great, and I love the respect they have shown for the treasure of Southern Book Exchange, formerly of this site, bu decorating tastefully with old books and shelves, mirrors with an aged dark cloudiness. Absolutely one of Durham's best.Special Features:
- Amazing foodKDFamilyDined on 9/21/2014Although I had a hard time reading the menu, our waiter was fantastic and explained everything to us. All I can say is this restaurant has got to be one of the BEST in the area. What the chef does with the ingredients to blend the flavors is amazing and creative. Can not wait to go back. HIGHLY RECOMMENDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mateo es muy buenooltexanDined on 9/20/2014We went on a Saturday night during Centerfest and to say the bar scene was 'energetic' is an understatement... noisy as H--- comes more to mind. But the food, very authentic Spanish tapas dishes, were all excellent and I would love to try more of them next time. Prices are quite reasonable. Definitely a keeper and fun, if it's not too crowded. They also have a nice selection of Spanish wines by the glass in true tapas bar fashion. A little touch of old Madrid right here in the Triangle.Special Features:
- Yummy and specialRhondaBZDined on 9/20/2014This was my second time dining at Mateo, and it did not disappoint. The food - everything we tried, whether we could pronounce it or not - was delicious. Our server wasn't the most outgoing sort, but we got our food and drinks in a timely manner. Will certainly go back again!Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsTMSCAdventuresDined on 9/19/2014Took my parents here on a Friday night, we arrived a little bit before our reservations and had at drink at the bar. The restaurant was very busy and loud but in a fun where you'd want to be way. The hostess was great and we got seated right at our reservation time. We were seated upstairs which was less noisy. The food was amazing, it came out staggered and we had a chance to enjoy everything without being overwhelmed with plates. We were going to order more but the waiter took a little while to get back to us which was okay because by the time we paused we were full! I highly recommend the ribeye, ribs and cured meat plate!Special Features:
- First time - will be back!LauraVIPDined on 9/19/2014Wonderful options - virtually everything was excellent. Waiter John R. did not steer us wrong on either wine or plates. Brought by some delicious pepper bites gratis. Noise level very high (couldn't register highest level here online for some reason ) but prompted talking to those seated nearby, good vibe all around. Only caveat was less than welcoming/ friendly environment at host station and a bit of a delay in waiter arrival, which we chalked up to a very busy Saturday night. Great smile from the latter, none from the former, though. Looking forward to being back in a few weeks when we return to Durham, bringing friends... Gracias!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.