109 W Chapel Hill St
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mateotapas.com/
- Phone: (919) 530-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm and 5:00 - 10:30 pm; Friday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm and 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Saturday 5:00 pm - 12:00 am and Sunday 5:00 - 9:30.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mateo
Spanish Heart / Southern Soul from the crew at Vin Rouge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mateo - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
304 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (262)hot spot (155)special occasion (124)neighborhood gem (115)notable wine list (106)vibrant bar scene (97)good for groups (90)romantic (80)late-night find (41)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A fantastic restaurant. We've been there a bunch!SusanBDined on 11/22/2014Honestly, this is one of the best tapas restaurants we've been to, including those in Spain! Fantastic food, ambiance, presentation - everything. I wish they had a bigger parking lot, that's only a minor compliant because the food itself is w/o any problems whatsoever. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always perfectionRhondaBDined on 11/22/2014So many tapas to choose from, so little time! Have been here 3 times now, and always tried something new and delicious. This was the first time we got to sit in the upstairs dining area. If you want to talk to your dinner companions without yelling, ASK for upstairs! The downstairs is a "vibrant bar scene", but can get really loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Fast ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014I enjoyed Mateo's very much. I think tapas are a wonderful way to dine. One thing that I did not like was the high table that we were seated at. For vertically challenged people, such as myself, it is uncomfortable to dangle my feet during a meal. I would not mind high tables if there were some sort of ledge that short folks could put their feet on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we were looking forJordanDined on 11/22/2014We brought some out-of-town friends and it was excellent! One of our dishes was mistakenly taken to a different table, so we were given an order of their Chicken Croquetas, which were perfect. Very pleased with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAndreaDined on 11/20/2014Truly authentic spanish food. They even have rabbit fideua, which is very rare to find in tapas restaurants. I've been there a couple of times and have had 80% of the menu and everything is delicious!!! The sangria is pretty good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience ... make a reservation!RickWDined on 11/20/2014The food is very good ... the wine is good too. The ambiance is warm and lively. This was our second time at Mateo's and it was better then the firstSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmdaVIPDined on 11/16/2014Mateo has a great atmosphere and even better food!Special Features:
- FabulousluvgoodeatsDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful all around- service, food, wine & dessert were all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Mateo!SaLenaDined on 11/14/2014Another fabulous night at our new favorite dining experience! The food of course, is amazing, but the staff is knowledgeable, personable, and fun! The whole experience is truly enjoyable. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food but other issuesDurhamVIPDined on 11/13/2014This is an amazing restaurant. The tapas are outstanding, interestingly imagined and created, and not outdone anywhere else we've been in many geographical areas including Spain . However, this is a hard restaurant to find a parking place for. One has to be lucky, and that's hard to count on. Additionally, the service this time was slower due to such high volume of customers (this on a Thursday night). We actually felt ignored for a time. Once the tapas had been ordered (we ordered them all at the start along with our drinks), they came in great succession / procession. No problem there. But the restaurant is noisy and hard to hear each other for conversation. Yet it remains one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tapas restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Good tapas food with complementary wines. In and out in an hour. Reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, can't wait to go again!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/13/2014Fantastic food and great service. A little on the pricey side, so perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Tapas This Side of Seville!Psych13Dined on 11/12/2014Our party of four sampled a variety of appetizers, salads, tapas, and desserts for dinner at this relaxing and fun spot in downtown Durham. Though all were "good", tasty highlights of our small plates were the Kale Salad...delicious; the bbque ribs....wonderful, wonderful glaze; the lamb meatball; and, last but in no way least - a shrimp and rice mixture in a creamy sauce; lastly, a mixture of sausage, brussels sprout, etc. - though I can't recall their Spanish names, ALL selections were DELICIOUS! Had Mom prepared brussels sprouts as well as this place, we kids would have eaten our vegetables......sorry Mom -:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is slippingsajuVIPDined on 11/12/2014I love Mateo. It's my go to place for lots of occasions, so I've been disappointed in the last several visits by the really slow service, borderlining on inattentiveness. This last visit was the worst, with our entire second round of tapas orders not being submitted. Eventually, the waiter returned to the table and asked if there was anything else, and we said, yes we ordered these things. It was clear he had not submitted them, so we just cancelled and got our check. Fortunately, the food continues to be excellent, but the service is making me think of finding a new go to place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service so the food tastes even better!dsperatiDined on 11/12/2014We dined (2 of us) at Mateo on a Wednesday night before a show at the DPAC. We arrived at 5:45 and were seated immediately. Shortly thereafter the place filled up very quickly so it is important to have reservations no matter how early you are going. Our waiter John was, without question, one of the absolute best waiters we have ever had in any restaurant, and we've had some amazing dining experiences. He walked us through the menus - food and wine - and made incredible suggestions based on our preferences. You could tell he takes great pride in their food and wine and that certainly elevates the dining experience for the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group experienceSarahVIPDined on 11/8/2014They were very accommodating for our larger group of 8. It is a small restaurant and though it was a little tight as they warned us, it was cozy. The atmosphere was great. It was lively and it was clear that it was this busy all the time. The food was all very delicious and though one of our dishes was forgotten/came out very late, they were sincere and very apologetic for it. We were in no rush so we were there for hours, but it wouldn't be somewhere I would recommend if you only had a small window of time.Special Features:
- Loved the experience upstairsSMaxVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have eaten at Mateo's several times and this time we requested upstairs seating. The noise level is significantly lower upstairs and we really like that. Same great food just a lot easier to carry on a conversation!Special Features:
- Consistently Solid FoodOnceAndDoneVIPDined on 11/6/2014Every time I visit Durham, I make an effort to visit Mateo. There are few restaurants in Durham that provide the same quality of food and unique dining experience for the price. It's a great departure from the standard BBQ and farm to table fare so common in the triangle area. This is a great restaurant if your focus is on quality over quantity.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014While we loved the food and wine, the place was so noisy that having a conversation between just the two of us was really hard work, and that really cut into our dining pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific tapasOz4tpasDined on 11/2/2014this was a wonderful find. Busy and hard to get in but worthwhile. The food was authentic and well prepared and presented. we really couldnt fault the place and would return in a heartbeat. being ale to drink 14 year old wine by the glass was a treat - it was goodSpecial Features:
- Wonderful food and ambiancepinkbike2rideVIPDined on 11/2/2014Don't know why we waited so long to discover Mateo. "now I know" why its the rave in Durham. Fabulous and interesting food, fun to share with a group.Special Features:
- Do not miss the...DinnerOutDined on 11/2/2014Do not miss the Queso Frito y Huevo. A++ Everything was fantastic, but that dish exceeded our expectations by a mile. That dish alone is worth visiting Mateo again.Special Features:
- Delicious, start to finish.eaterWBDined on 10/31/2014Decided to visit Mateo with a couple friends before attending a wedding. Got there when they opened at 5, so no wait, although I hear it gets packed otherwise. The wine menu was not an easy one to navigate being they aren't your typical grape varietals, but got a Tempranillo red thanks to the server. It was great. All of the tapas were a home-run, not a single one I would not recommend and we had 8. A Spanish menu like this is rare and made for an adventurous but outstanding meal. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable little plateslovesasurpriseDined on 10/29/2014I love the opportunity to try novel inspired dishes with interesting flavor combinations. Mateo doesn't disappoint. Even better, as a tapas restaurant, each dish is small enough that you'll be able to order many things in one evening. I haven't had anything yet that wasn't excellent. The dry sherry flight is not to be missed. The service is really good. Prices are reasonable. The noise level is difficult if you have someone who is hard of hearing...this is not a quiet spot. There is a small parking lot right by the restaurant and if you're lucky, you'll get a spot.Special Features:
- 1st time for lunchKJTECUDined on 10/29/2014We love Mateo for dinner, but had never been for lunch. They have a completely different lunch menu and it was fabulous! We shared 2 tapas plates and each had a sandwich and got out for under $30--including tip! That never happens! We love Mateo for dinner and will definitely return for lunch! They never disappoint!Special Features:
- Mateo MagnificanceMikeeDined on 10/28/2014Mateo is a must-dine experience for discerning culinary snobs and others who are looking for a unique and wonderfully delicious food experience. This was my third or fourth visit and the experience seems to get better each time. Loved the Beef Cheeks and leave room for desert. My guest who said they did not like Flan almost ate the entire portion before I got a bite. The bread pudding is excellent as well. Try it, you'll Love It!Special Features:
- Deliscious, reasonably priced, funBetsyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Our group of 5 had a delightful assortment of plates suited for a variety of dietary tastes and restrictions. The chicken croquette special was excellent, as were the lamb meatballs, calamari, duck, salads and desserts. We were happily sated but not stuffed which was ideal. And the bill was very reasonable for five (~$145 including tip and $18 for a sangria carafe). Will definitely be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeJoey211VIPDined on 10/23/2014Went for lunch and had a wonderful experience. Great tapas....very nice and relaxed service. Only reason we didn't have dinner was no reservations. If you get a chance...GOSpecial Features:
- great tapas restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014the best tapas restaurant in town although there is no many restaurants of this kind in durham or the triangle area , this is the best one , nice wine list , little expensive , but it is ok for time in time , highly recommend it !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodMMHillDined on 10/19/2014We had a group of 7 and tried just about everything on the menu and it was OUTSTANDING, although maybe just slightly overpriced, especially the $20 corkage fee (most places in the area are $10 to $15). It was quite loud so be prepared to nearly yell across the table, but the food is well worth it!!Special Features:
- MarymMarinemomDined on 10/17/2014FANTASTIC FOOD and SERVICE. We have eaten at MATEO's several times since joining DPAC and they NEVER disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mateo a MUST!betsy989Dined on 10/16/2014Really loved Mateo. The food, drinks, and service were terrific. The only downside for me was the noise level making hard to hear other people at the table. Don't understand why new restaurants can't do more too lower the noise level.Special Features:
- Love this!emazonDined on 10/16/2014Whenever we come to Durham, we always come to Mateo. The wine list is very interesting and the food is delectable. Makes me wish we lived closer-- I'd be here all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2014Mateo is always good! The food is excellent and there are a lot of fun food options from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Been to Mateo before, first time for lunch... Not a huge variety of opting for lunch, however the dinner menu is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of Spain in DurhamspanishfoodieDined on 10/15/2014I lived in Spain for several years and have yearned for the great wine and tapas that I used to enjoy while living there. Mateo brings me back to Spain. The tapas are excellent and authentic. The wine list is great and accessible to all price ranges from ~$26 - >$200 / bottle. They even have sidra (a very Spanish cider).Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014We were novices with ordering tapas, but our waitress was patient and helpful. We're heading to Spain next week with some knowledge of how to order there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceLezly24Dined on 10/14/2014Went for interview lunch and enjoyed it very much. Tapas great, service greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerStephEatsDined on 10/12/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner as we both love food and trying new places. Mateo was recommended to me, and I was told it is 1000X better than any other tapas in the area. When we arrived we noticed the restaurant was busy--that's a good sign! The ambiance was lovely--each table had a lit candle. The food was delicious and the price was lower than anticipated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DurhamVIPDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food, imaginative combinations. We love this place.