3101 K St NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matedc.com/
- Phone: 2023332006
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Batkhuu Odonchuluun
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We now bring everything you have enjoyed to your door! Whether it is a business function, home entertainment or a special occasion, you can count on the quality, flavors and service at your home, office or final destination. wwww.latinconceptscatering.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our unique space offers multiple options for gatherings and receptions. Our team has a stellar track record in organizing events of all sizes, and our attention to detail all but guarantees a fun and successful event no matter what the requirements. Maté offers semi private spaces as well as full restaurtant buyouts with capacities ranging from 10 to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Newsha 2026770529
- Entertainment: Maté Music Weekends: Join us for a party every Friday and Saturday night with drink specials and DC"s best DJ's.
A word from Mate
Maté is decadent, lush and entirely unexpected in historic Georgetown. We serve only the best quality ingredients in our innovative sushi rolls and specialty cocktails. All red décor, very luxe Panton spiral lamps, red Luna chairs, a sleek aluminum bar and a Latin inspired sushi menu are brought together to create a sophisticated and seductive atmosphere for Washingtonians.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Mate reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (11)late-night find (9)special occasion (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Drinks need improvementMKVaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Had the chef's selection plate and it was nice; however, as a drink I ordered pisco sour. The pisco sour came well short of what it suppose to taste like. I would not ordered it again.Special Features:
- MatewerundcDined on 8/5/2014The food was good--we had a strange experience with the waitress because she asked if we would like refills on our sodas and then ended up charging us for them! So be aware of that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SUSHIOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Good service................be sure to try the volcano roll it was awesome!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!HfoodieVIPDined on 7/21/2014I went to have dinner with some friends and we have a great time: incredible music, the food was good and the drinks were off the hook! Just found out it's also a party lounge with a DJ at night so I might check it out soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased!KristinaDined on 7/19/2014I had a wonderful time! The service was wonderful! The servers were very patient with me and my party! The servers were also knowledgable about the items on the menu. Our server made some lovely suggestions and everyone in my party was pleased with their meal! Thanks Mate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Lovers DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014This was easily the best sushi I've ever had. All of the rolls were unique and full of flavor. Plus the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average says it allbigspenderDined on 6/21/2014Food was adequate but after being seated the wait staff did not seem particularly interested in taking care of our party of five. And although they only serve Sushi the menu was limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy hour hotspotpretheatercrowdDined on 6/19/2014The food was delicious and the staff was friendly. We had the seasonal wagyu beef roll and it was amazing. The bar area was crowded and a bit awkward to maneuver past to the restrooms, and the ambient music was loud enough that you had to shout. Overall it was a fun time out.Special Features:
- Horrible Food - OK ServiceTrueDCFoodieDined on 5/29/2014This is going to be quick and dirty ... so the food left a lot to desire for. The salmon ceviche was bland and mushy. Had absolutely no taste, and just gross. The spicy tuna maki was not fresh. The tuna taste was quite overpowering, and not in a good way! The mango mojito was too sweet, and filled with an excessive amount of ice. The ambiance was a bit gloom -a few lurkers at the bar and about 10 people (max) throughout (capacity is probably 100).Special Features:
- Sushi HeavenBiggtmoDined on 5/17/2014Went there for my girlfriend birthday modified the reservations 3-4 times last minute. Because it was Saturday night I explained to them it was my girlfriend birthday and they were very accommodating and respectful. When we arrived the hostess Nancy was tremendous remembered speaking to me on the phone and gave me the best seat in the house. The food was amazing but a little overpriced but its Georgetown in the summer you get what you pay for. Ambiance was incredible and overall it was an amazing experience. If your in the neighborhood and want amazing sushi with a vibrant scene then Mate is the place to be.Special Features:
- The following 20 reviews are from the Mate reviews archive.
- Better Lounge than RestaurantFedtravelerDined on 4/19/2014The food, which was just OK, was vastly overshadowed by the loud music, dark interior and fairly uncomfortable seating. Definitely catered more for the bar and lounge scene and the Japanese fusion menu seems more like an afterthought.
- Awesome sushi, great cocktailsTbellDined on 4/18/2014Mate is such a great place for sushi and drinks. We took my in-laws there and my father-in-law said, "it's the best restaurant in DC I've been to". We started off with edamame and calamari salad and they both were great. The calamari salad was fabulous and I typically don't enjoy calamari unless it's breaded and fried, but in this salad the calamari stood on its own. We tried a few different rolls, but the Volcano roll was our favorite. We tried a variety of cocktails and they all were fabulous. It was pretty crowded while we were there, but our server Bridget did a great job and made sure we had everything we needed. This is definitely the best sushi spot we've been to!Special Features:
- Good sushifoodieluvDined on 4/4/2014Mate has very good sushi, although a somewhat limited menu. The services was good, but almost too good. The waitress kept coming over asking if we were ready to order when I was catching up with a friend. It seems as though they like to get people in and out.Special Features:
- Yum.SushiLoverVIPDined on 3/30/2014I love the chi che spicy roll here and have gotten it every time I've come here over the last 4 years. Last night, though, it was slightly off and I was sorely disappointed. Also, my calamari salad didn't have seaweed at the bottom... maybe they got a new chef who just didn't know how things are supposed to be?! Everything else was great. Pretty quiet on a Sunday night, which is definitely an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great date night! CraftRoseDined on 3/22/2014Had a great date night! Craft cocktails were great and the sushi was fresh. Our server (Bridget?) was very sweet and efficient. The food took a little while to come out but they were busy and it was a Saturday night. Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not greatfoodiechicagoVIPDined on 3/13/2014I didn't enjoy the food at Mate - the sushi wasn't fresh and largely didn't have flavor. great service, sadly bad food...
- Cool placeZarinasagiDined on 3/8/2014So we went with my girlfriends to celebrate international women day, it was our first time for everyone there. Food and service was great, the reason I put 4 stars because prices was too high for sushi.. I guess because of the location, Georgetown never been with normal prices:) but! I heard happy hour prices is awesome! So if it's your first time there make sure to catch happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very happy)DariaDined on 2/19/2014Friendly waitress, lots of delicious sushi, yummy mojitos ))) will be back soon before going to see a movie)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome placecega85Dined on 2/15/2014Great food, great drinks great place and service was awesome ! Definitely coming back for more sushi and the chocolate dessert. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. This wasEsmithDined on 2/14/2014The food was good. This was my boyfriends second time having sushi. Even though the sushi was VERY GOOD, it was falling apart. The rolls didn't hold together well. I'm not exactly sure why, since it took some time for us to get the food.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014They had good food in a cool spot on the gtown waterfrontSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun vibe!GtownVIPDined on 2/1/2014It took us an hour to get 2 sushi rolls. But once we got them they were great!Special Features:
- no one there....luv2dineDined on 1/17/2014We attended this restaurant for the restaurant week lunch menu. After looking at the online menu and getting pumped. We arrived at the restaurant seeing no one else there aside from the waitstaff... She clearly didn't like her job and didn't understand what we were referring to when we asked for the restaurant week menu. Although the food was great, it wasn't was I was looking forward toSpecial Features:
- Surprisingly GoodLukasDCDined on 1/11/2014I've been to this location before for drinks and I was not a big fan as to what type of clientèle its attracts. I was surprised to find out it serves sushi style food. I was positively surprised with the quality of food and service. I almost left like the staff was treating me and my guests as mystery shoppers (that's how attentive they were). Anyway great food, great service the only negative thing I can point out is that they really packed the place to its capacity with the tables. If you don't mind literally sharing your table with guest next to you you should check out this place. CheersSpecial Features:
- Great Sushi!Sugar1105Dined on 12/23/2013We had a wonderful time at Mate. The sushi was perfect (and my sister-in-law from Japan approved!), and the happy hour menu was a great deal! Delicious mojitos, nice selections of rolls. Our server was really nice and attentive. Overall we had a fun evening and will definitely return. Apparently they are having a New Year's party and the cover is totally reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteAJMcNultyDined on 11/29/2013We tried out Mate with friends before a show at the KenCen, and were very happy wight he choice. Excellent food (very fresh sushi) and great wait staff. It was a holiday weekend, so I suspect it might get pretty crowded on a regular Friday night. We plan to go back again.Special Features:
- DisappointingMikeVIPDined on 11/18/2013In short, the "special" sushi I ordered had salmon chunks instead of salmon fillet in it. It looked like cat food. Also, it took them over 20 min to prepare my dessert which was a combination of cream cheese (a bit salty) in a roll that had tropical fruits in it. Didn't taste good. The ambience was very nice and my server was very polite; however, I think they need to make serious improvements to compete in a city with so many great restaurants.
- The sushi was great but thebrylDined on 11/15/2013The sushi was great but the service was a little slow. Also lighting is a little dim and our table was a little squished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013If you are looking for a restaurant with good music, a nice looking crowd and a neat overall scene then it's a great place. However if you are looking for fresh delicious sushi then go somewhere else. I am not a foodie nor a sushi expert but have been enough places where I found the three rolls we had here not good at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wannabe Latin and Japanese FusionFoodopolitanVIPDined on 10/17/2013I came here for dinner at 8:30 pm with a friend. Decor is tacky-modern. Service was good. The food was supposedly Latin inspired Japanese sushi and it was a limited menu. They had some traditional rolls such as the dynamite, rainbow, and volcano. What really set this restaurant apart were the fusion Mate Original rolls. We ordered the Snow Beauty, Chiquita roll, Volcano, and Snowy Beach. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the fusion sushi rolls -- one had spinach and some interesting vegetable sauce on it which really took the flavor from the sushi; all I could taste was the rice and spinach. The fruit dessert roll was not good at all. In the end, overpriced and not good combinations - or I just wasn't a fan.