Matchbox - Rockville
1699 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Rockville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.matchboxrockville.com/
- Phone: (301) 816-0369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon McArthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Matchbox-Rockville offers 3 distinct private event spaces for all of your special occasions. A brand new and beautiful property centrally located on Rockville Pike.
- Private Party Contact: Alisia Kleinmann 8669450085
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz 11am - 2pm
- Special Events: Matchbox was designed to offer a number of different choices in planning your event. Toast your guests with a delicious infused martini or spread out in our spacious and inviting dining room.
A word from Matchbox - Rockville
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Matchbox - Rockville - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Matchbox - Rockville reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (70)good for groups (69)great for outdoor dining (64)neighborhood gem (56)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (36)great for brunch (36)hot spot (34)kid-friendly (32)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (15)notable wine list (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- The overall experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2010The overall experience was horrible. The manager actually did not bill us for our food. The one drink came with one dinner. I never received the correct wine until the person I was with finished her dinner. I ordered a pizza which came with the dessert. Not a great experience. At the end the waitress dropped an entire tray of milk and coffee which ended up on our shoes and pants. Most likely will not be back any time soon.
- This is the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/29/2010This is the second time I visited this location.During my first visit my entire experience was excellent.My first experience was during lunch and we had a reservation and were seated immediately.Our waitress was great and the food was also great.However, this time the service was terrible.We had a dinner reservation and we still had to wait approximately 20 minutes.When we were finally seated we again waited for our waitress and nobody looked at us.It was like we were invisible.Our food order was mixed up and our drinks were not the best either.I attribute all of our issues to the huge number of people and the new chefs and staff.I still would recommend this place but you MUST make a reservation and try not to come during the weekend.
- Food was great! They had sometutortooDined on 12/29/2010Food was great! They had some problems with service--late with one appetizer and brought our meals right after they brought this last dish....Manager came over and asked if everything was okay. When we reluctantly told her what happened (we don't like to complain, it's a new restaurant, they were crowded) she apologized and took that appetizer off the bill. Very nice. We will definitely go back. Lots of good choices on the menu.Special Features:
- Food and service are excellent.Lizbien1Dined on 12/29/2010Food and service are excellent. Really enjoyed my white pizza.Special Features:
- We had a reservation but stillPhineasVIPDined on 12/29/2010We had a reservation but still had to wait several minutes for the hostesses to find a table for us. For a place with room for 300 people, I thought this was a bad sign.
- Most accommodating; they bentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/29/2010Most accommodating; they bent over backwards to please. Reservations are a must.Special Features:
- This was the second time IMJSsDined on 12/28/2010This was the second time I ate at Matchbox, this experience was not good at all, the food came out burndt and the server was RUDE!
- We've eaten at the MatchboxGOOUTTOLUNCHVIPDined on 12/28/2010We've eaten at the Matchbox in Chinatown numerous times and always enjoyed it. The Rockville location is equal. The food is just as good and, due to "new" construction, a very nice physical facility.Special Features:
- Tasty food and a fun locationRebeccaHVIPDined on 12/28/2010Tasty food and a fun location - make sure you make a reservation, as this place is very popular!Special Features:
- Took about 1 hr for all ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2010Took about 1 hr for all of our food to arrive. Other than that, waiter was very nice and food was fantastic, just be prepared to wait!
- Sliders were amazing; onionOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/27/2010Sliders were amazing; onion straws could have been hotter. Crab soup good but not the ordinary seasoning. House creamy salad dressing was very good. Can't wait to try other things on menu. Watermelon teaser drink was outstanding.Special Features:
- Hard to get a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/27/2010Hard to get a reservation for dinner unless you really plan ahead and it's hard to plan ahead to go to dinner in Rockville. Better off waiting until the hype dies down a bit or go for lunch. Pizza was good, but not notable.Special Features:
- The Food was so so. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/26/2010The Food was so so. The service was good. The place is very beautiful.Special Features:
- I was surprised that theirOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/26/2010I was surprised that their pizza sauce was so spicy given it would not be a general preference to eat spicy food especially since kids eat pizza. I would not go back for pizza; maybe other menu items are better.
- Matchbox in Rockville justMandBVIPDined on 12/26/2010Matchbox in Rockville just opened with hopes of revitalizing an often used restaurant space. It has a reputation of good sandwiches and pizza. I found a brunch menu on their web site, but when I arrived at noon, I was told that the menu was premature and I had to choose from the regular. With concern about e-coli and ground beef, I asked the host if they ground their own beef. I was informed it came from Costo, so much for quality and safety I am not running back despite a lovely, enthusiastic waitress.
- Server entered order incorrectly,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/23/2010Server entered order incorrectly, brought out the other pizza and husband was finished with his before mine ever arrived. No apology was made and server forgot to remove incorrect pizza from bill, then forgot pen once bill was finally brought (very long wait before she stopped by again and all other servers were busy with their tables avoiding eye contact). Hopefully they'll work out the kinks, as the DC locations run efficiently.
- Loved the decor, pizza wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/23/2010Loved the decor, pizza was excellent. Main dining area a lot of fun, annex area devoid of the atmosphere of the main restaurant. Although we had a reservation, there was no table for us (party of 7) so first they tried to accommodate is in a booth (for 6) we were then moved to the back annex section away from the main restaurant, which was disappointing. Weh ad a great waiter,who obviously had too many tables - it took forever to order, and a lifetime for our drinks to arrive. The cocktails are great,but not strong. The mini burgers are a must, as Is the pizza. Just don't order sundries such as mustard, because it won't arrive We will go back - these are probably teething issues as the restaurant is brand new. Rockville needed this!Special Features:
- Actually, we were a bit disappointeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/23/2010Actually, we were a bit disappointed. We had heard very positive feedback regarding the Matchbox locales downtown, so went to the new Rockville location anticipating the best/ The soup was salty, the pizzas were not very tasty, and the dessert a little disappointing. We shall give it another try, and hope that they work out the kinks and the food gets better.Special Features:
- Salads were small; CheesecakeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/2010Salads were small; Cheesecake Factory Salads and choices are much better. Will go back for sliders and Pizza, but not salads.Special Features:
- Great place for any occasion.VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2010Great place for any occasion.Very good service,excellent food and great location.Will dine again there. My party of 4 was amaze.They congratulate me on the wise choice.They want to return .Special Features:
- The pizza had a wonderfullyBobSVIPDined on 12/22/2010The pizza had a wonderfully crisp and thin crust. Will definitely return to try other items on the menu. The onion straws on the sliders looked great!Special Features:
- Great pizzas, salads and appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/22/2010Great pizzas, salads and appetizers.The ambiance carries you away from Rockville Pike for your meal. Wonderful to be able to make a reservation since walk-ins were waiting 1 1/2 hours the night we were there.Special Features:
- The interior of their newOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2010The interior of their new building in Rockville is quite stunning. However, the wide open dining room does make for some drafty conditions that lead my companion to keep her coat on the whole time. The food was good, but nothing special, particularly given the prices. We had pizza, salad, sandwiches, and dessert and were a bit underwhelmed given the cost and reputation. Perhaps their higher end entree menu is better, but it is certainly priced at the special occasion only level.Special Features:
- Matchbox is relatively newOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2010Matchbox is relatively new on Rockville Pike. While, the "clump" of people at the front desk are a bit disorganized, the rest of the visit was great. The wait staff were prompt and very friendly; polite. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- wine seemed very well priced,bethesdaManVIPDined on 12/21/2010wine seemed very well priced, attractive, not too noisy. but food and service not very good. hopefully it will get better after it has been open a while.Special Features:
- Food (sliders) much too salty,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2010Food (sliders) much too salty, almost inedible. Four cheese pizza was mushy and meat pizza was not to our liking. Server (Josh) was good and ambiance was excellent.Special Features:
- Still having some openingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2010Still having some opening pains and struggles. As a Matchbox fan I will be back once they have a chance to work out the kinks. Servers do a good job handling the the confusion and minor mishaps.Special Features:
- We are big fans of Matchboxmservedio67Dined on 12/20/2010We are big fans of Matchbox in Capitol Hill, so we were excited to hear they opened a place in Rockville. The only complaint I have is they don't have slings to hold infant carriers, we had to get our stroller to hold our baby.Special Features:
- Maryland residents will beOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/2010Maryland residents will be very happy that the DC Matchbox restuarant has arrived in the Rockville area. Unlike the Chinatown location, this restaurant occupies a huge space and is extremely spacious and warm. Matchbox Rockille serves the same menu with the delicious 3.6.9 sliders and pizzas and has a great outdoor seating patio.Special Features:
- Aong with my three friends,LF2013VIPDined on 12/19/2010Aong with my three friends, we found Matchbox very appealing overall. Food was very tasty but a little too salty. We know they opened a little over a week ago, but our server was undertrained & had to check to answer the question like "is the onion soup vegetarian or meat based?" We did order onion soup, but it had NO broth-it was a bowl of chopped sauteed onions with some cheese!-and TWICE for spoons to eat the soup. Took forever to get bread for the table-which arrived hot-but we had to ask for butter & bread plates. Bread was cold by the time the butter and plates arrived. Our server was very apologetic &and was clearly overwhelmed. We'll go back in hopes that the service-and the onion soup!-are greatly improved.Special Features:
- A very welcome addition toRonGVIPDined on 12/19/2010A very welcome addition to Rockville Pike. Should be the 1st successful restaurant in this location since the Hot Shoppes! Can't beat the sliders and pizza. Still some kinks to work out with the service, but expect it to improve over time. Great that they accept reservations, which the other two do not.Special Features:
- Finally a decent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/19/2010Finally a decent restaurant in a shopping mall close to where I live. Light, airy, spacious, great for a quick bite at the bar, or a leisurely meal at a table. The interesting thing is that you don't feel you are actually in a large restaurant - the various levels make it all the more interesting. Good service, friendly staff. Try the crabcake sandwich. Yum! The bread pudding was delicious, but could do with a little less cinnamon. All in all, worth checking outSpecial Features:
- Our server's name was VaughnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/18/2010Our server's name was Vaughn and he rocked! Service was outstanding!! Though they don't have a kid's printed menu, Vaughn made a wonderful pasta suggestion (which was prepared in a generous child's size portion). Even though we arrived late for our reservation, we were still seated promptly by the hostess at the door. The pepperoni pizza was delicious!! We also ordered the mini trio sampler which was also delicious and the presentation was awesome!! It's nice to have a restaurant like this up here in Rockville and not have to travel to White Flint or Bethesda for a good place to eat. The prices aren't bad either; ample parking is available. I know this will be a will be a hot spot in the summer/spring with the outdoor patio/bar.Special Features:
- A large group decided to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/18/2010A large group decided to celebrate a friend's birthday at Matchbox this past Saturday, December 18th. Although we had an original reservation made, our group size kept expanding, and even though it was already a busy Saturday night Matchbox's staff did everything possible to accomodate us. They were friendly and helpful the whole time. The server Raul was very courteous and fun as well. If you've ever eaten at Matchbox's DC locations you know the food is amazing -- delicious sliders and a lovely variety of pizzas amongst other yummy foods. The decor was beautiful and overall the restaurant had a great ambiance. This is a much needed and welcome addition to the Rockville area :)Special Features:
- The pizza and our startersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2010The pizza and our starters were great and dessert was delicious. We can't wait to go back. Service had a few kinks, but they had only been open a week, so I am sure they will work them out.Special Features:
- The restaurant is large andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/18/2010The restaurant is large and nicely decorated. I love the matchbox in DC but its too small and always crowded, plus they don't take reservations. The rockville location is great and already at the top of my list of favorites. We had reservations and were seated right away. There was a 45 min wait for those without reservations. The food was delicious and the portions were just right. I recommend the matchbox chopped salad, tuna tartare, bacon wrapped shrimp and grits and the sliders. The service was good but could use some improvement, we waited 15 minutes for the waiter to take our drink order and another 5 mins before he came back with water. Other than that we had a nice dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Matchbox finally comes toKerbieVIPDined on 12/18/2010Matchbox finally comes to Rockville! This is great news, people. The sliders and pizzas are extraordinary. And the building is beautiful! Our server seemed a bit frazzled, but since the place has only been open a week, and the food is so wonderful, we'll let it slide.Special Features:
- Being only one week in operationOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 12/18/2010Being only one week in operation there were a few glitches that we expect to be resolved. The front desk needs training on Open Table reservations. They couldn't look up our reservation, but luckily had a printout. The kitchen appeared to be a little slow. We ordered the mini-burgers. After waiting 20 minutes they finally arrived. They were great and freshly made to order (which could be why the long wait). We were not offered bread or anything to cover the wait time. We splurged for desert and had the donuts. They were GREAT! But, alas, the wait was longer that desired. Also, the coffee could be better. It lacked character. Although there were some critical issues we still highly recommend this restaurant. Here's hoping the curse is overSpecial Features:
- Great food, great additionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/18/2010Great food, great addition to Rockville Pike. We ordered 6 sliders(they come with a pile of onion strings topped with parmesan cheese), fries and one large pizza for a party of four(2 adults-2 kids). Our waiter recommended we order 2 large pizza's and so we did. However the pizza is a bit spicy and the kids wouldn't eat it. With that said, the food was very good we will not order the pizza for the kids next time.Special Features:
- I had a great pizza, the crustGmbd1031Dined on 12/17/2010I had a great pizza, the crust was nice and thin and the toppings were great. I had the white pizza with anchovies and arugula. The restaurant was very crowded but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.Special Features: