Matchbox - Rockville
1699 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Rockville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.matchboxrockville.com/
- Phone: (301) 816-0369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon McArthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Matchbox-Rockville offers 3 distinct private event spaces for all of your special occasions. A brand new and beautiful property centrally located on Rockville Pike.
- Private Party Contact: Alisia Kleinmann 8669450085
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz 11am - 2pm
- Special Events: Matchbox was designed to offer a number of different choices in planning your event. Toast your guests with a delicious infused martini or spread out in our spacious and inviting dining room.
A word from Matchbox - Rockville
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Matchbox - Rockville - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Matchbox - Rockville reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (70)good for groups (68)great for outdoor dining (64)neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (53)great for brunch (36)special occasion (35)hot spot (33)kid-friendly (32)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (15)notable wine list (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- always consistentDonnaVIPDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is a no-brainer for us. We love Matchbox and are frequent guests. The service is wonderful, the servers are very knowledgeable - about the food, beer, and wine. Friendly staff - amazing food. I love how they switch up the menu in a subtle way.Special Features:
- Disappointing - brunchminty1130Dined on 4/20/2014I love the Matchbox in Chinatown and Eastern Market area so I was excited to visit the Rockville version. Big mistake. The building is great and the menu looked yummy but the results were disappointing. Our waiters were very kind. The Blood Mary my friend received looked extremely watered down and I can image it tasted as bad as it looked. My friend ended up sending it back. We both got the BLT eggs benedicts, which sounded amazing. Unfortunately there was no flavor except oil. I didn't even realize there was a fried green tomato in there until my friend remembered the description in the menu. The side potatoes were great! I will stick to carryout pizza from this Matchbox branch and go to the other locations for a good brunch.
- DisappointedbobbyceesVIPDined on 4/5/2014Our reservation was for 745. We did not get seated until closer to 830. Our order was not taken unlit 9. One of the kids ordered pizza which the waiter forgot about and she had to wait for. Overall, was a very disappointing evening. I would not go back.Special Features:
- Brunch is wonderful!MollyDined on 3/30/2014This was my first time for brunch, and it was a family birthday celebration with 6 people. Our server was great, the food was wonderful (from the cinnamon rolls to the hueovs rancheros and the brunch pizza to the cocktails). It was surprisingly not very loud either, which I was a bit worried about. I definitely would go back here for brunch! The prices are a little higher than I would normally pay, especially with cocktails added in, but it's about whats to be expected for brunch. Meals are about $15 each and the cocktails close to $10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a keeperSaliv8Dined on 3/26/2014My first time there. Outstanding pizza. Love the layout of the restaurant. As large as it is, no matter where you sit you feel like you are in your own little restaurant. I will revisit the Matchbox many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2014I took my friend here for her birthday. The server was very cordial and took care to give us her recommendations when we asked for it and was very attentive so we didn't have to constantly ask for service. My friend got the crab soup and the trout and she said both were delicious. I got the soup of the day which was creamy cauliflower soup and it was very good, but the scallops I got was amazing. Probably one of my favorite scallop dishes ever, and I eat a lot of scallops. The drinks were good, their vanilla peach iced tea (yes it's alcoholic) was yummy, and the dark and stormy, one of my stables, was good too. The dessert was brownie with ice cream. The whipped cream on top was like nothing I've ever hard! Definitely would get it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday dinnerTiffDined on 3/21/2014I love Matchbox and I've never really had any problems while dining there. I was served the wrong pizza this time but once I told our waiter Tim, he immediately apologized and fixed the problem quickly. He did a great job with my large party, very attentive and polite. Thank you again Matchbox for a lovely dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentdennisDined on 3/20/2014Great food and service. Ellen was superb Chef misnamed special as paella--which it wasn't--but the dish was outstanding none the lessSpecial Features:
- Had a great time.SleepyDined on 3/19/2014I treated my girlfriend to lunch to celebrate her birthday. We had a really nice time. Was able to enjoy the food & fabulous pomegranate martinis with just enough attention from our server. Was also able to have real conversation without shouting over people. I love the ambience of this place. It's a great place to meet up for drinks and to hang out as well as to bring your kids to enjoy good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family dinner!Ridge123VIPDined on 3/16/2014Great place for a family dinner! The food was great as usual and the cocktails were amazing. Service was also spectacular, waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfortabledennisDined on 3/16/2014Early Sunday evening crowd of families and couples having a good time. Great salad and pizza choices The beer selection on tap is relatively small but excellent. Service was friendly but not intrusive. This is a favorite when we are in the Rockville area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ItTwinkleToesDined on 3/16/2014I enjoyed celebrating my sisters birthday matchbox. I would recommend this place to my family and friends. The food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Learn to track Reservations!Kim1970Dined on 3/15/2014I've been going to this resturant since it opened and I've never had a porblem...until now. The desk claimed they had no knowlege of my reservation and the hostess really didn't seem to care that they couldn't find the reservation or that I was waiting for a resolution. And then, when I arrived home, I had a message from the resturant informing me that I had not shown up for my reservation. I was more than a little irritated with the whole experince and may never go back to this location again.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014They took us right at the time of our reservation. Great food, nice atmosphere not too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Need A Better Kids MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2014I made a reservation and my family was seated promptly. So glad I did because there was an hour wait for walk-ins. I wish they had a better kids menu. We had to order the 3 mini burger appetizer (plain), a small cheese pizza and a kids mac & cheese to make a complete meal for our 6 year old and 3 year old to share. There was basically nothing offered on the kids menu at all. Huge disappointment considering there were kids and strollers everywhere on Friday night. Other than that, the food and atmosphere were great.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014Food was fantastic! Service was very good & attentive. I really enjoy going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fire and smoke pizzafoodie007VIPDined on 3/11/2014This particular pizza was listed in The Washington Post as one of the 40 essential dishes every Washingtonian must try, so I had to try it. It is very good indeed.Special Features:
- Very goodLanieDined on 3/10/2014Met a friend from our of town the other night so we were looking for a spot where we could really catch up. The whole restaurant was busy but our table was out of the way and it was perfect. Food selection is very food, beer selection is diverse. I had the house burger with bacon, mushrooms, and gorgonzola cheese. It was out of this world delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very nice lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014We had a very nice lunch. (three friends). We asked for a quiet area and were given a booth in the back area away from the bar...a good spot for conversation. Service was excellent and we were not rushed. I'd come here again.Special Features:
- Outstanding service, as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2014We love to dine here, the food is very good but the servers all make if an enjoyable dinner out. They are all attentative and work well as a group. Definately use Open Table to get your reservation. We walked in, past a full lobby of people waiting and our table was ready ON TIME.Special Features:
- Terrific Brunch ChoicesjoyofeatingDined on 3/9/2014Especially if you are not dieting. Just a great spot for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014My husband and I had an awesome dinner. We both ordered fish dishes and both were great! The service was excellent and the noise level was low. Would definitely go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulBeatwellDined on 3/7/2014I love the salads , add a protein for a fabulous supper. Pizzas and burgers are also yummy. There is something for every taste bud. servers are very pleasant and helpful.Special Features:
- Great ambiance for fun groupsChaseDined on 3/5/2014We had a table of 12 put together for us and were treated very well by the wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it, but a bit loudJimOVIPDined on 3/5/2014The waiter was very pleasant, provided the right level of attention and had a great attitude. We were there for our 5th anniversary and were pleased with the atmosphere. It was our first time here and will definitely return. Good service AND good food is a hard combination to find these days. Matchbox had both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of us liked our lunch,luncherVIPDined on 3/5/2014Some of us liked our lunch, others were not so happy. It is okay, but the noise level is just too high to have a conversation without straining to hear.
- Matchbox Never MissessloomisDined on 3/2/2014As a regular visitor to the Rockville Matchbox I continue to enjoy the restaurant and food for the most part. On this occasion there was some confusion as two waitresses were "sharing" our table which meant we got asked the same questions a lot which was weird. It wasn't that big of a deal really, just seemed like a bad idea. I also switched up my order from my normal favorite pizza to try the crispy half chicken and was not that impressed. The sides were great but the chicken was on the dry side.
- Great pizza and service at MatchboxOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2014We've been to Matchbox several times, and have not been disappointed. The service is great, and the food is good. We had pizza this time, taking the recommendation of our server and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/1/2014It's just a good spot for simple but yummy food. We have fun every time. Hate Rockville Pike but really like this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceLarryHSDined on 3/1/2014Thanks to Matt and Yuka for facilitating our large group on a Saturday night and making it a great gathering. Thanks to Stephanie and the other servers who accommodated separate checks and were great servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Went to have dinner before a concert at The Strathmore. Wonderful service, delectable dishes and the most refreshing wine paired with our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014We come from our ot state to visit grandchildren. We always eat here. It is fun and delicious for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/28/2014We have been coming to your restaurant alot since you opened. Last visit was horrible!! I guess there is no point in making a reservation and putting any comments in since they are not being read at all! This time around it was important to us to be seated at a nice, bit more quiet table as we had something big to celebrate. We are aware of the Matchbox being more a vibrant and energetic restaurant and esp. on a Friday night it would be busy and noisy, but after our request to be seated right by the bar, that's very upsetting!! This ruined the moment and the evening and left a bad taste behind. We won't be coming back anytime soon, if ever. Our server (can't remember her name) was great tho, none of this was her fault!
- Great Food as always!!motherdaughtertimeDined on 2/28/2014This was my daughter's first visit to the restaurant, great time, I have been telling her about the great food. The food did not disappoint, it was great and she definitely wants to come back. This was my second trip visit there in one week. Planning on trying something different every time. Service was very good, server was friendly but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and good valueGeegVIPDined on 2/25/2014Matchbox has solid food and fair prices. I really like the back room with the fireplace in the Rockville restaurant. The service was friendly without being cloying. I've eaten at the Chinatown and Capitol Hill branches, but this one might be my favorite.Special Features:
- MatchboxMatchboxVIPDined on 2/24/2014Disappointed in the menu changes. Matchbox in Rockville was my go to place but this time I felt the menu was much more limiting. Also, my vegan daughter was with me. No menu choices for vegans. There is dairy in the black bean burger and even all of the salad dressings. Our waitress was terrific though and helped her customize a salad and she used the garlic purée as her dressing. I wish the menu would go back to some of the previous offerings.
- We came out with 4 friendsDiane102360Dined on 2/22/2014We came out with 4 friends so there was a total of 6 of us. We started out at one of the auxiliary bars while watching Syracuse Bball. We got to our table and had a good server who was readily available to us throughout the evening. Food and drinks were very good. We've been before and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch menu!FoodDudeDined on 2/22/2014This was our first time here for breakfast, as we only ever had lunch or dinner here. The breakfast/brunch lived up to the same top quality food as their lunch and dinner! The menu offerings are creative, and the plates were superb! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My recent visit was for workingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2014My recent visit was for working lunch meeting and the environment, food, and service was great! I also appreciate the phone call that was made by the restaurant staff to confirm my reservation. Great dining experience! I look forward to the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food better drinks great timesTm34Dined on 2/19/2014The title says it all. Matchbox always has amazing and super fresh food and also their drinks are on point. The wait staff are great and sociable, with excellent insight of their menu. It's one of my favorite spots to go to, whether a nice dinner with friends and family or on a date it's always a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.