Matchbox - Rockville
1699 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Rockville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.matchboxrockville.com/
- Phone: 3018160369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon McArthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Matchbox-Rockville offers 3 distinct private event spaces for all of your special occasions. A brand new and beautiful property centrally located on Rockville Pike.
- Private Party Contact: Alisia Kleinmann 8669450085
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz 11am - 2pm
- Special Events: Matchbox was designed to offer a number of different choices in planning your event. Toast your guests with a delicious infused martini or spread out in our spacious and inviting dining room.
A word from Matchbox - Rockville
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Matchbox - Rockville - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Matchbox - Rockville reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (74)great for lunch (72)good for groups (70)fit for foodies (49)kid-friendly (46)neighborhood gem (45)great for brunch (41)special occasion (37)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (9)scenic view (4)Show More
- Pretty good spotJohnDined on 9/28/2014I am not a pizza person so take this for what it's worth. Pizza is their forte but they have a good selection. Tne appetizers were excellent. Service was polite but a bit thin at times. The food was good but it's pricey to eat here.
- Business LunchEricMDined on 9/26/2014Matchbox is a regular venue for business lunches for me. The ability to guarantee a table at a specific time combined with great food, great service and an atmoshere that's quiet enough to have a conversation but busy enough not to be overheard makes this restaurant my top choice for business lunches in Rockville. This time I had the Spicy Cajun Tuna, my companion had the Squash / Apple Soup (Special) with a Wedge Salad. The Tuna was excellent. I got the ginger butter drizzle on the side, but if you're a lover of Tuna you don't really need it, the Tuna Stands on it's own. My companion raved about the soup, I'm tempted to head back for a bowl myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/25/2014good new menu, need a wider desert menu food is great, need a better coffeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014Ive had the calamari salad many times. This visit the salad was limp with way to much dressing, the calamari was soggySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative crab avacado saladOHBoyVIPDined on 9/24/2014Love this new (for me) combination. Table bread is sooooo good, with the garlic butter. Can feed up on those! My rainbow trout was a bit dry.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Had a great time. The food was amazing and well diverse. The staff was very friendly. I introduced my best friend to it. Who said she will bring her family and friends to check it out too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchShyrtDined on 9/20/2014We went to brunch to celebrate my engagement. We had mimosas and bloody marys. The great part about the drinks is they have a range of different kinds instead of the plain, normal ones. The skillet cinnamon rolls were amazing as was the brunch pizza.Special Features:
- Not up to parJoaNieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Matchbox is one of my favorite restaurants. However, my last visit was very disappointing. First of all, the waiter was very abrupt. So abrupt that after I asked for a beverage, he ran off to get my beverage before even asking if my husband wanted a drink. I think they also changed the menu. I have never sent anything back to the kitchen before. My husband ordered the "donuts" since he knows I love them and we were celebrating my birthday. The donuts? They were hard fried dough balls. We asked to speak to the manager. The manager said he tasted them himself and they were donuts, just like they should be. Well, I know donuts and these were bad! We literally left the restaurant with a very bad taste in our mouths. Luckily the pizza was good.
- Great spot for lunch!RoommatesDined on 9/18/2014Met a friend at Matchbox for lunch and everything was very good..............service was excellent! My salad was a bit overdressed, but other than that I enjoyed my experience at Matchbox very much! Dessert Trio was delicious!Special Features:
- OutstandingLoveToEatDined on 9/12/2014This Resturant is outstanding! The service and food are outstanding! My family and I will continue to frequent this Resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tasty and funhappybellyDined on 9/11/2014We've been back to Matchbox several times and haven't been disappointed. The food is very good and the staff treats visitors very professionally and nicely. It's also just a fun place--you forget you are in the 'burbs at Matchbox.Special Features:
- My reviewShalomsVIPDined on 9/10/2014I was so disappointed and would not go to back to this restaurant. The food was good and the atmosphere was also good. The service was awful. When we arrived the hostess was on the phone and did not even acknowledge us. She continued her call and look away. Shortly after, another hostess appeared and seated us. Our server, Ashley, was very slow and did not check on us often. We had to ask for salt and pepper after a long wait. I would never go back to this location. They have another location on 7th street in DC...the service is better there so if I ever go back to Matchbox, it would be that location and not Rockville.Special Features:
- Consistently gooddennisDined on 9/7/2014We travel to Rockville several times a year and always have dinner at the Matchbox at least once. Food is consistently good and this time we were delighted to see that the giant meatball was promoted from "a once in awhile special" to the everyday menu. Our choice is to sit at the outside patio when possible where the noise level is lower in addition to a pleasant setting. Service is always good.Special Features:
- farewell girls brunchAimeeDined on 9/7/2014had a great brunch with 2 girlfriends as a farewell to one who was returning to Senegal but wanted to have pizza before she left. choosing what to have was difficult--go with what I always have or something new. I went with the steak/egg skillet, which was huge enough to have leftovers for my husband! huge, great outside patio--lovely that there was sufficient seating between tables.Special Features:
- Great place!JackDined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed Matchbox...the service was friendly and the food fantastic and creative.Special Features:
- Our group frequents MatchboxPickybunchDined on 9/2/2014whenever we have a working lunch or a group lunch just for fun and we are always pleased! Food is very, very good, waitstaff are excellent and very hard working - host and/or hostess are very welcoming and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnusualBumbleVIPDined on 9/1/2014We are huge fans of Matchbox. But this trip was not a good one because of our server. He was condescending, impatient, and in attentive. We were so thrown off by this, as we frequent Matchbox regularly. It really ruined our meal. Luckily, because we have had positive experiences before, we will probably be back despite this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seating!SARQDined on 8/30/2014Great ambiance, delicious food, stellar service and overall wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Great experienceNasafiDined on 8/13/2014Sitting outside one would have expected that there would be the din of Rockville Pike which is not even a stones throw away. There was none of it, you don't really notice that one of the busiest arteries in Montgomery County is right next to you. The ample booths allow for comfortable dining. The outside bar is a gem, well stocked and provided the drinks to perfection. The pizza's were delicious. The fig with prosciutto combo was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Matchbox from the very startOliver001Dined on 8/11/2014Tasty food, especially nice and unique pizzas. Likewise, tasty and unique cocktails - my favorites include the pomegranite martini and the sweet tea vodka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaysDiane102360Dined on 8/11/2014We were celebrating my daughters 22nd birthday and my sons 29th birthday. We had a diverse age group (22-80) and everyone enjoyed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAGinMdDined on 8/8/2014A great place to stop and dine right in the middle of busy busy a Rockville Pike. Good pricing, menu has a variety that will please most. Friendly attentive wait staff. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great placeCymdDined on 8/7/2014This is my second time to Matchbox and love it. I took my niece there and she really love it, said its her favorite place. Y sister love it too. The dessert trio is very good....the brownie is Mmm Mmm good. The dessert is very big. We are glad we only ordered one because we had a hard time finishing it among the 3 of us. The pizza is excellent and we like it that we can have 1/2 and 1/2 topping since we shared a pizza and this option allowed us to have two version in one. Definitely will go back soon. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Atmospherevrob40Dined on 8/5/2014I eat here quite a bit and am never disappointed. Met a friend for lunch. We shared the Matchbox Trio appetizer, which is always a winner. The sliders are cooked perfectly, great crab cakes and moist scallops. Had Matchbox Meat Pizza and a winner, too. Shared brownie, which was HUGE. No complaints. Service is always great. I do take out from them, too, and am always pleased.Special Features:
- foodiegoddessDined on 8/3/2014Family and friends love this restaurant. The food is very good. Very creative pizza's that taste better than my chef hubby makes (sorry sweetie). The tuna tartare appetizer is so good, and the proscuitto and mission fig pizza is amazing!Special Features:
- Lovely lunch spotPhotoFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Fun options on the menu, well made mad served with great service. I love this place and continue to go back here and I recommend it to all my friends and colleagues!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/31/2014The food was fine, not spectacular. The service however was amazing.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableFastRideVIPDined on 7/30/2014Whenever I am in Rockville during lunch time it go to Matchbox. Everything I've eaten there so far has been exceptional. The wait staff is exceptional also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014This was our first time so we went for lunch. It was busy but no overcrowded. Our waitress was very attentive but not overly which was much appreciated.Special Features:
- SleepyDined on 7/24/2014Wonderful spot to have a drinks with girlfriends, dinner with the hubby or brunch with the family. A truly versatile place with great food and great drinks. This place has the best pomegranate martini!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJmePDined on 7/18/2014I met some friends for a late dinner on a Friday night. Although busy our waitress was very attentive. The food was fantastic. Their Bistro Burger is amazing and the wood fire pizzas are wonderful. It was a little loud but being a Friday night that was expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneAnnaDined on 7/10/2014Our office had lunch at Matchbox to send off a colleague who was about to start graduate school. It was a good choice given that there was a lot for everyone to choose from. The food - salads, pizzas, burgers, and sandwiches - was well-received. We all shared an order of the awesome donuts, which were a great way to end our lunch.Special Features:
- Always great!KateVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great service, great food, great 4th of July brunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a group gatheringSJPNyackerDined on 6/30/2014We had dinner with a group of six (plus a two month old) and we had an excellent evening. We split four appetizers including sliders, tuna tartare, calamari salad and shrimp and grits and they were all spot on. Dinner was three pizzas, two large and one small, and this was more than enough and these were high quality, thin crust pizzas with the fig and prosciutto most popular among the group with my favorite being the Matchbox meat pizza. The servers were always on top of things and very nice to boot. Because of the baby we went relatively early, as did other groups with small children and it worked out extremely well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a group mealblonde98Dined on 6/28/2014I had dinner with 9 people here and it was great. The pizza is a great thing to share among the table. The salad and dessert was also great.Special Features:
- Great timeJP2013VIPDined on 6/27/2014Had a great time here with a big group of friends! We were able to get a reservation on a Friday night, which I did not expect would be possible!Special Features:
- $98 for burgers and pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014My 12 - year old daughter has been wanting to try this place for a while. I had been to the one in DC and knew what it was about. You are paying for décor and atmosphere, which I am not a big fan of doing. We ended up spending almost $100 for two adults and two kids-a "large" pizza, a small pizza, 3 mini burgers, an order of fries, a dessert and 3 soft drinks. It would have been overpriced at half the cost. The food was good, but nothing special that would entice me to come back, and the menu is pretty limited. I would only go back to make my daughter happy, I would never set foot in this place of my own volition.
- Loved it!FastRideVIPDined on 6/24/2014I had driven by Matchbox many times and said I wanted to go. Well today I went for lunch and I think this will be my new lunch spot. I had the sliders, crab soup, and the apple/pear salad. Everything was wonderful. And why I am in love is the restaurant itself. The restaurant has a very nice decor and I'm even thinking about hosting an event there soon. Overall it was a wonderful first time there and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatLynetteDined on 6/21/2014I have enjoyed every time I have dined there. This time was girls night out. Dinner after a movie.Special Features:
- LunchLauraLDined on 6/16/2014Always love the food and service. It is always too noisy because of the design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.