Matchbox - Rockville
1699 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Rockville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.matchboxrockville.com/
- Phone: (301) 816-0369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon McArthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Matchbox-Rockville offers 3 distinct private event spaces for all of your special occasions. A brand new and beautiful property centrally located on Rockville Pike.
- Private Party Contact: Alisia Kleinmann 8669450085
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz 11am - 2pm
- Special Events: Matchbox was designed to offer a number of different choices in planning your event. Toast your guests with a delicious infused martini or spread out in our spacious and inviting dining room.
A word from Matchbox - Rockville
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Matchbox - Rockville - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Matchbox - Rockville reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (73)good for groups (69)great for outdoor dining (66)neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (54)great for brunch (37)special occasion (35)kid-friendly (34)hot spot (34)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (15)notable wine list (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- Perfect BrundDineOut2MuchVIPDined on 11/23/2014We had the perfect brunch. The menu items and specialties never disappoint and the service is always perfect. For us, the must-haves are the Greek yogurt parfait and the cinnamon rolls. The only thing that prevents the perfect score is the music. We don't understand the bass-heavy bar-scene music they always play. Even for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not a great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Food was very good, but the whole menu is pretty pricey for what you get. If you want a Bloody Mary this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Always greatsuziqVIPDined on 11/9/2014Never a bad meal yet. Love the prosciutto fig pizza, the pear salad, the tuna shashimi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't Go Again!WeEatOutDined on 11/6/2014The table they gave us was near the open kitchen and front entrance and we could not carry on a conversation without talking above level. We had 8 ladies and the round table was so large you couldn't talk to the person across from you. The purpose of our gathering was to visit over lunch and we were all disappointed about that. The food was good and other than that the waitress was quick to refill drinks etc. Not her fault we couldn't hear over the restaurant noise. My group gathers frequently, we make reservations, tip generously and are not hard to please! We won't pick Matchbox again!
- Birthday FunMaggieDined on 11/2/2014Nine of us celebrated family birthdays at Matchbox. Our waiter was wonderful. We had the small room in the back so it was cozy and quiet. The food was great and all enjoyed it. We would go back. MaggieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the PIkeAFanDined on 11/1/2014I eat here about once a month. The place never fails to disappoint. I have a hard time resisting a platter of mini burgers, the salads are fresh and tasty. I am a self professed pizza snob and think the pizza's are pretty great.Special Features:
- AmazingsugarandspiceDined on 10/25/2014We loved the outdoor seating. Cold outside? Don't worry they have heaters(big plus).Such a beautiful place over all! Our food was done very Quick and tasted amazing. We had 4 kids with us that night so we decide to sit outside because it looked classy and quiet inside but people didn't seem to mind them. I did sit and observed other servers attending other tables near us and they were very professional servers overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good ChoiceDineOutMDVADined on 10/24/2014I regularly dine out in the Rockville / North Bethesda area. Matchbox remains at the top of my list. The food is great and the service excellent. I highly recommend the appetizer trio. The ambiance is very nice with several dining areas upstairs and downstairs. Try a warm drink on a cool night outside by the fire.Special Features:
- Matchbox love!lovefoodDined on 10/16/2014I was very happy with my appetizer and my pizza but prices are kind of high. But great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rainy Day LunchMyraDined on 10/11/2014Matchbox was most accommodating when I called early Saturday morning to change our reservation from 6 to 10 people. The service was excellent and they offered both brunch and lunch menus with a good selection. Only problem is the sound as the high ceilings and loud music made it hard to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much noise!RandyVIPDined on 10/10/2014We always enjoy the food, but the noise level in this latest outing was out of control. We were seated in a booth, and the acoustics were just brutal! We asked our waiter about it, and he just shrugged and said the obvious, "this is a loud place." Not the most enjoyable experience. My elderly father will really have to be convinced to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Lunch ExperiencealtennisDined on 10/10/2014My date ordered seafood pasta. It was spicy. The menu does not state that it is spicy, and she does not enjoy spicy. I ordered the pan seared rainbow trout. Absolutely forgettable. I ate only 1/2.
- a little surprisedDianeDined on 10/6/2014Ordered the seared scallop dinner and was surprised to find it came with three scallops. Exchanged it for the trio appetizer that comes with two scallops, two crab cakes and two mini burgers for less $$. More food for less $$. Others in the party had the seared salmon - loved it! And the crispy chicken dinner - nothing left!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was okayNonicknameDined on 10/4/2014The food here was only okay this time. My boyfriend even told me that I make better pizza than they do! Service here was great, on the other hand. But that aside, I was disappointed in the reservation system...I originally had the option of either 6:00 or 9:00. I was hoping to reserve around 7:00. So, I booked the later time (which is a bit late for me) and figured we could get there around 8 to grab a drink from the bar first. Well, once we got there, I found out there was no line and that they had no problem seating us at 8. Good thing we at least went early then, but I would love to know why OpenTable made them look so much busier than they were!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating Staff!GrameloDined on 10/4/2014I bring my martial arts group here once a month to maintain our friendships. I normally see between 10 and 13 people show up. I had made the reservation for 12 but 20 ended up in our party! At first, Anna, our server, was a bit overwhelmed. She graciously seated all of us without much fuss as people kept showing up. The food arrived in a timely manner and was delicious as usual!Special Features:
- Great food!Bucketlist4foodVIPDined on 10/3/2014First time at matchbox and it will not be my last! I lovveed everything. The cobb salad and apple/pear salad are excellent! Also ordered the fig pizza and the matchbox meat....loved them both. NY style pizza and so so good. Finished the meal off with a brownie. Wow, what an amazing meal from start to finish. I cannot wait to go back and try some other pizzas or just grab a salad for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK RestaurantTwinMomDined on 10/1/2014We were seated in a small room off of the bar. Not as nice as the main area of the restaurant. It was quiet so we didn't have to shout through our conversation. I had the crab cake sandwich. It was OK. Not a lot of lump crab meat, more shredded. Next time I will order pizza. Our server, Rachel, was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncommonly GoodgirlswholunchDined on 10/1/2014Girlfriends birthday lunch was great. Rather loud indoors and we had lots of catching up to do, so chose an outdoor table which was perfect. Temperature controlled. Great friendly service, didn't rush us. Without even requesting it, a candlelite dessert was brought for the guest of honor. The menu is varied, not the usual pizza combos. We found items from the appetizer list and all were terrific. I also had the smaller sized apple/pear salad - I'm going back for that alone. Love that they offer the salads in two sizes. Go there, enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurantKathiebrDined on 9/29/2014Always have a great experience. Fun place to sit outside at the fire pit on a slightly chilly evening with friends. Never forgo the sliders with a group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good spotJohnDined on 9/28/2014I am not a pizza person so take this for what it's worth. Pizza is their forte but they have a good selection. Tne appetizers were excellent. Service was polite but a bit thin at times. The food was good but it's pricey to eat here.
- Business LunchEricMDined on 9/26/2014Matchbox is a regular venue for business lunches for me. The ability to guarantee a table at a specific time combined with great food, great service and an atmoshere that's quiet enough to have a conversation but busy enough not to be overheard makes this restaurant my top choice for business lunches in Rockville. This time I had the Spicy Cajun Tuna, my companion had the Squash / Apple Soup (Special) with a Wedge Salad. The Tuna was excellent. I got the ginger butter drizzle on the side, but if you're a lover of Tuna you don't really need it, the Tuna Stands on it's own. My companion raved about the soup, I'm tempted to head back for a bowl myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/25/2014good new menu, need a wider desert menu food is great, need a better coffeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014Ive had the calamari salad many times. This visit the salad was limp with way to much dressing, the calamari was soggySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative crab avacado saladOHBoyVIPDined on 9/24/2014Love this new (for me) combination. Table bread is sooooo good, with the garlic butter. Can feed up on those! My rainbow trout was a bit dry.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Had a great time. The food was amazing and well diverse. The staff was very friendly. I introduced my best friend to it. Who said she will bring her family and friends to check it out too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchShyrtVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went to brunch to celebrate my engagement. We had mimosas and bloody marys. The great part about the drinks is they have a range of different kinds instead of the plain, normal ones. The skillet cinnamon rolls were amazing as was the brunch pizza.Special Features:
- Not up to parJoaNieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Matchbox is one of my favorite restaurants. However, my last visit was very disappointing. First of all, the waiter was very abrupt. So abrupt that after I asked for a beverage, he ran off to get my beverage before even asking if my husband wanted a drink. I think they also changed the menu. I have never sent anything back to the kitchen before. My husband ordered the "donuts" since he knows I love them and we were celebrating my birthday. The donuts? They were hard fried dough balls. We asked to speak to the manager. The manager said he tasted them himself and they were donuts, just like they should be. Well, I know donuts and these were bad! We literally left the restaurant with a very bad taste in our mouths. Luckily the pizza was good.
- Great spot for lunch!RoommatesDined on 9/18/2014Met a friend at Matchbox for lunch and everything was very good..............service was excellent! My salad was a bit overdressed, but other than that I enjoyed my experience at Matchbox very much! Dessert Trio was delicious!Special Features:
- OutstandingLoveToEatDined on 9/12/2014This Resturant is outstanding! The service and food are outstanding! My family and I will continue to frequent this Resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tasty and funhappybellyDined on 9/11/2014We've been back to Matchbox several times and haven't been disappointed. The food is very good and the staff treats visitors very professionally and nicely. It's also just a fun place--you forget you are in the 'burbs at Matchbox.Special Features:
- My reviewShalomsVIPDined on 9/10/2014I was so disappointed and would not go to back to this restaurant. The food was good and the atmosphere was also good. The service was awful. When we arrived the hostess was on the phone and did not even acknowledge us. She continued her call and look away. Shortly after, another hostess appeared and seated us. Our server, Ashley, was very slow and did not check on us often. We had to ask for salt and pepper after a long wait. I would never go back to this location. They have another location on 7th street in DC...the service is better there so if I ever go back to Matchbox, it would be that location and not Rockville.Special Features:
- Consistently gooddennisDined on 9/7/2014We travel to Rockville several times a year and always have dinner at the Matchbox at least once. Food is consistently good and this time we were delighted to see that the giant meatball was promoted from "a once in awhile special" to the everyday menu. Our choice is to sit at the outside patio when possible where the noise level is lower in addition to a pleasant setting. Service is always good.Special Features:
- farewell girls brunchAimeeDined on 9/7/2014had a great brunch with 2 girlfriends as a farewell to one who was returning to Senegal but wanted to have pizza before she left. choosing what to have was difficult--go with what I always have or something new. I went with the steak/egg skillet, which was huge enough to have leftovers for my husband! huge, great outside patio--lovely that there was sufficient seating between tables.Special Features:
- Great place!JackDined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed Matchbox...the service was friendly and the food fantastic and creative.Special Features:
- Our group frequents MatchboxPickybunchDined on 9/2/2014whenever we have a working lunch or a group lunch just for fun and we are always pleased! Food is very, very good, waitstaff are excellent and very hard working - host and/or hostess are very welcoming and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnusualBumbleVIPDined on 9/1/2014We are huge fans of Matchbox. But this trip was not a good one because of our server. He was condescending, impatient, and in attentive. We were so thrown off by this, as we frequent Matchbox regularly. It really ruined our meal. Luckily, because we have had positive experiences before, we will probably be back despite this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seating!SARQDined on 8/30/2014Great ambiance, delicious food, stellar service and overall wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Great experienceNasafiDined on 8/13/2014Sitting outside one would have expected that there would be the din of Rockville Pike which is not even a stones throw away. There was none of it, you don't really notice that one of the busiest arteries in Montgomery County is right next to you. The ample booths allow for comfortable dining. The outside bar is a gem, well stocked and provided the drinks to perfection. The pizza's were delicious. The fig with prosciutto combo was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Matchbox from the very startOliver001Dined on 8/11/2014Tasty food, especially nice and unique pizzas. Likewise, tasty and unique cocktails - my favorites include the pomegranite martini and the sweet tea vodka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaysDiane102360Dined on 8/11/2014We were celebrating my daughters 22nd birthday and my sons 29th birthday. We had a diverse age group (22-80) and everyone enjoyed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.