Matchbox - Merrifield
2911 District Ave.
Merrifield, VA 22116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Merrifield
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxmerrifield.com/
- Phone: 5713954869
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11am - 10:30pm, Friday: 11am - 11:30pm, Saturday: 10am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
A word from Matchbox - Merrifield
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Matchbox - Merrifield - Best Restaurants in Merrifield ›
Matchbox - Merrifield reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (80)neighborhood gem (63)great for brunch (61)good for groups (53)great for outdoor dining (52)kid-friendly (46)fit for foodies (46)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (26)special occasion (24)notable wine list (17)late-night find (13)romantic (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Tasty!foodie4lifeVIPDined on 8/24/2014They add a twist to their dishes like Frittata with pesto, pizza with spicy chipotle sauce. Their breakfast veggie burger was one for the books. I was in foodie heaven! :)Special Features:
- Great Dining Choice in MosaicellekaseyVIPDined on 8/24/2014We were delighted to try out Matchbox in the Mosaic district. The menu, setting, and food were all of the quality we've grown to expect from this restaurant group. I especially appreciated that they had brunch and luncheon menus available on Sunday. It allowed everyone in our party to find something that was just right. We had a toddler and preschooler with us and the restaurant was accessible and accommodating for children without being a "kid's place" in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014I had the Coppa pizza (pesto, prosciutto and arugula) and loved it. Have yet to try something I don't like, here. My companion received something other than what she ordered but that got rectified quickly. It's become one of my favorite spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a noon business lunchTM6782Dined on 8/18/2014Service was excellent. New menu was varied, interesting. My guest and I had salads and both were excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014I order the apple/pear salad with grilled salmon. When the salad was delivered, the salmon was seared. This was a business lunch and I didn't have the time nor the inclination to send it back. The waiter offered a sorbet at the end of the meal but there wasn't time. I'll try Matchbox again and hope they get it right next time.Special Features:
- Yummy FoodREL1VIPDined on 8/11/2014The pizza and other items I've had here are all delicious. The restaurant is always willing to take a big group which is great for work lunches. Service could be improved- we had to flag our waitress down several times.Special Features:
- Always GoodNonFoodieDined on 8/5/2014We're boring and always get the sliders because they're the best. Those with a side salad to share and draft beers is seriously delicious. We have never left disappointed. Our 2-year old loves the place, too (no beer for her though). Love to get the 9 sliders so that we'll have some for "later." I'm sure the pizza is good but haven't had it there in forever so can't speak to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner DateElizabethDined on 8/5/2014I've been to Matchbox a few times and it depends on the time you go and who your server is. I love the food! Sometimes it's really loud, but it's worth giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodNYRepeatDined on 8/4/2014Had lunch at Matchbox. We had the chicken sandwich and the meat pizza. Both were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinnamon rolls sub parLessThanImpressedDined on 8/3/2014Matchbox's special brunch item was great - chicken and potatoes with waffles (even if the waffles were overdone) - the jam/jelly really makes every entree. The crabcake Benedict was also delicious. I expected more from their signature cinnamon rolls - they were over cooked and not as flavorful as expected. But the service was great. Will definitely be back to try the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken & Waffles!!DM12Dined on 8/3/2014Love Matchbox for lunch & dinner; came with a friend to check out brunch for the first time. The server told us they had chicken & waffles available for brunch as a special so we decided to split it with an appetizer. We may have died & gone to food heaven that day. It was the most amazing dish EVER. We asked for the egg scrambled on the bottom of the skillet. The waffle, chicken & crispy potato salsa were served on top with syrup baked in. It was a huge portion & we loved every bite. Alas, we sadly learned not only is this not coming to the lunch or dinner menu, it's not even a regular on the brunch menu. What a tragedy I may not be able to come back and enjoy this again.Special Features:
- Good PizzaCartoDined on 8/2/2014We went to Matchbox to celebrate my daughter's birthday. We all got pizza with different toppings. Everyone seem to enjoy them. The beer selection was very good, I had a good brown ale and my wife had a dark and stormy. The waiter was good, although it would have been good if he had mopped up the spilled water earlier.Special Features:
- Brunch at Matchboxpartyof4Dined on 8/2/2014We went for brunch on a Saturday morning and had a very pleasant time sitting outside on their patio watching children and families playing in the fountains at Mosaic District in Merrifield. Food was nice albeitSpecial Features:
- First VisitCiaoBellaVIPDined on 7/21/2014We were looking for a fun and friendly place to take our 12 yo grandson. Matchbox fit the bill. Good burgers and pizzas that offer unique taste treats. I had the fig and prosciutto and it was even more delicious the next day. Crab soup was good but a bit salty. We enjoyed sat in a booth in the back and that was preferred over the highboy tables. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- First time visitKhloeDined on 7/20/2014The burgers were great. Juicy, cooked just right and the flavor with the Gorgonzola cheese and mushrooms was exceptional. Fun atmosphere. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchJeremyDDined on 7/20/2014Make group of 8, including one child, had a fantastic Sunday brunch. Great food, friendly service and a very F-U-N atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!KimmiDined on 7/19/2014Went for Saturday brunch. The breakfast pizza is delicious!Special Features:
- PizzaSugarDannyDined on 7/14/2014All of their pizza is awesome. If you're having trouble deciding, just go with the spicy meatball. Wins EVERY TIME!Special Features:
- Food so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/14/2014Gave this place a second try, and can't say I'll try again. Ordered the baby kale salad and the flavors just weren't right. More than once the waiter interrupted conversation to ask me to hand over my water glass.
- Not Up To StandardJWinMerrifieldDined on 7/13/2014Seated at 11:50, food didn't come until after 12:30. Drinks wrong after clear discussion with server, 2 of 4 waited a long time for drinks (no coffee ready for Sunday brunch?). Food was wrong - waffles cold, Shrimp and Grits came out at Shrimp and Mashed Potatoes. Management handled it well, apologetic, credit on bill; server couldn't have cared less; never checked in as we waited. Not what I had experienced in past. Very disappointing.
- Matchbox Brunch is LegitjburksvaDined on 7/13/2014We were looking for a new place for brunch for my wife's birthday and decided to give Matchbox a try. Smart decision! The ambience was great, the service was impeccable and best of all, the food was delicious. The steak and eggs and huevos racheros were great, and the cinnamon rolls were too, but the breakfast pizza was by far the best item. A complete home run. We'll definitely be heading back there again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a group, including kidsdcdinerDined on 7/13/2014We had five adults and four kids under the age of 6 in our group. Everything went off without a hitch. Service was top-notch. Food was quite good. Lots of variety and super vegetarian options (which is, oddly, rare in the DC area). They even bring pizza/bread dough to the kids who can shape it into something and then it goes into the brick oven. Kids really enjoyed that. Hats off to Matchbox-Merrifield. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDeebDined on 7/7/2014Food was excellent and while they are known for their pizza the menu has a nice range of options. Our waiter was outstanding, one of the best I've experienced in quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food per usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/4/2014I loved the food. I always do at Matchbox. However, for it not being too busy, I do not know why we were seated in a crammed area. Service could have been better.Special Features:
- Off nighttxngrlVIPDined on 6/30/2014I have been to the Merrifield location many times. It was a Monday and it just seemed to be an off night. I was dining with my kids that night, shoved to the back of the restaurant, which I get if it was busy, but it wasn't. The food was good as usual, but our server seemed unavailable for most of the evening. I'll be back, but I know what to request next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matchbox Mosaic ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014Not happy with my experience at the Mosaic Matchbox on Sat., 6/28/14, and treatment received. Not sure I'll be returning any time soon. I had a reservation and had to wait twice after I refused to sit in the back room at a table in the middle surrounded by a lot of children. From there was brought back up to the front only to wait again before being seated at the last booth by the restroom and kitchen. Very noisy - Not happy!! This, while there were plenty of vacant tables up front and other people seated there. When I asked about those tables, I was told, "They're blocked off." I'll be reluctant to visit Matchbox any time in the near future.
- Matchbox lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014We all split the spicy meatball pizza, pear salad and simple salad. All of it was delicious! The dressings were much lighter than others I have tried on similar salads. The kids had the two kids meal pastas. Would like the option of fruit or veggies with their meals instead of fries. They liked the pasta but other kids might find the seasoning too grown up. I was actually surprised my kids ate it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantincaisideDined on 6/20/2014Booked a table Matchbox in Merrifield for a lunch business meeting. They found us a nice quiet table in the back. Service was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014It took our waiter an hour to ask what we wanted to order. He kept walking past our table while we were starving. Then it took him 15 mins to give us our split checks when the register was right behind is. Food was good but a service that night by that waiter was horrible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale casual diningeph835Dined on 6/17/2014Matchbox was a step up from a casual dining experience. With a good wine list and some unique versions of favorites this is a great place to go to. Overall affordable, thoughtful menu with great outdoor seating and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/17/2014Love it but the ac in the back room, where we were, wasn't working, so we sweated through dinner a bit. The server gave my son a birthday dessert of his choice on the house. One big gripe is that the address was deceiving to our family who hadn't been there before. It is actually Strawberry Ln--not District Ave, as the website says. So my brother was driving around for half an hour trying to find the place before I was able to direct him there on my cell phone. Our server said that happens a lot. That can't be good for business. I hope they'll correct that on their website and with google maps soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch food and service!DCFoodieDined on 6/17/2014My friend and I dined here for lunch to celebrate my birthday on 6/17/14 - our server, Chris, was absolutely amazing! He was very friendly and helped us with an enjoyable dining experience. We ordered the mini burgers from the appetizers section and Cobb salad as well - both items were made perfectly and was just delicious! Towards the end, Chris provided me with a birthday treat, which was a brownie with ice cream and it was so good. We will definitely return and recommend to our friends!Special Features:
- Consistently good!FresserinVADined on 6/15/2014Went at 4:00 on Fathers Day for a late lunch/early dinner. Our server was cheerful and attentive; the food came in a timely manner; and it was delicious--fresh. If you are not a pizza-eater, there is a moderate amount of other options. Alot of alcohol options, though we didn't imbibe. The room is open and a bit loud, but you don't have to yell to be heard at your table. We have eaten at the 14th Street restaurant, which was equally pleasant.Special Features:
- Runner47Dined on 6/14/2014I love this gem of a restaurant located in the Mosaic District! It was very hard to decide what I wanted since everything sounded delicious. I couldn't decide between the pizza or the crabcake sandwich. I went with the crabcake sandwich with the apple pear salad as a substitute for the fries. Absolutely delicious! Will be back to try other entrees. Friendly staff and very nice restaurant ambience and area in general.Special Features:
- Great Lunch & BrunchTurtlebug0Dined on 6/14/2014My family came here for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon and had a great time. We all ended up ordering off their brunch menu- which had a lot of variety! Their iron skillet cinnamon rolls were AMAZING. Their crabcake benedict is a GIANT crabcake wrapped in bacon topped with a poached egg. OMG. Their huevos rancheros had a little heat and were SO tasty. I had my 14 month old with us so I ordered her lunch early (can't have a hangry kid!) and our server brought it out super fast for her (huge helping too). They put us in the back where there were several other families with kids- who could blame them? But it made me feel less bad when she was noisy. Totally recommend this place!Special Features:
- ForgotNamesIveUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 6/14/2014Matchbox is the same as it ever was, same as it ever was. Same as it was when I went the day before. Good pizza, average salad. Little bit pricey but good place to eat if you have to be in the Mosaic District in Merrifield.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch essentialsTISPenguinDined on 6/14/2014I've always enjoyed the pizzas at Matchbox, last weekend I tried their brunch. Our table of four for the french toast, crab cakes and breakfast pizza. All were very delicious, plated beautifully and a filling portion. Liked that they had 4-5 options for mimosas and 4-5 options for bloody marys. Indoor had plenty of seating on a Saturday at 11am.Special Features:
- Inconsistent Customer ManagementQuestVIPDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant always seems confused in handling reservations. I reserved a table for 4 and was seated. When the other couple arrived, they were told there was no reservation! The time before, Matchbox told Open Table that I did not honor the reservation (although I was there and checked in at the front desk). Matchbox needs to get its customer management act together!
- ForgtNamesIveUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 6/13/2014Matchbox is the same as it ever was, same as it ever was. Good pizza, average salad. Little bit pricey but good place to eat if you have to be in the Mosaic District in Merrifield.I would recommend this to a friend.
- stick to the basicshappybirthdayDined on 6/10/2014I think basic salads and pizzas are the way to go here.Special Features: