Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: (202) 289-4441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
304 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (109)fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (105)great for lunch (105)hot spot (88)kid-friendly (46)vibrant bar scene (43)great for brunch (37)late-night find (35)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (30)notable wine list (20)romantic (17)scenic view (3)Show More
- wonderful find for lunchvacationerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Right next to metro stop, great service (friendly, upbeat, and there when you needed them) and my friend and I loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeNevergowrongDined on 8/11/2014Took my kids their for a day out. We went for pizza and dessert. Everything was great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1jjmoDined on 8/9/2014This place has very good reviews in the first place. Came here for my birthday and it was great. Food and service was excellent. Must try their pizza and burger sliders. The magic brownie was awesome. Couldn't have picked a better place for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and drinks were amazing...foodieguyDined on 8/7/2014The food and drinks were amazing. We had a great pizza and the staff very knowledgeable about the beer and the menu.Special Features:
- Matchbox MemoriesMatchboxmemoriesDined on 8/7/2014In DC for the very first time & friends recommended Matchbox. Was there with my husband and 12 year old daughter. Loved it so much we ate there twice in one week! Sat on 2nd level at the back where it was a little quieter which was nice after walking all day. Maya, our server was awesome! Friendly and very helpful. Loved the specials. Mojito & Avocado salad were amazing & incredibly memorable! Can't wait to get back to DC to go to Matchbox again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for lunchBWFoodieDined on 8/7/2014This was my first time at Matchbox, and was not disappointed. The crab and avocado salad was really delicious and the Monte Cristo (special) was on point. Cho was our server, and had a great combination of food knowledge, professionalism and genuine warmth. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great dinner with friendspandy445Dined on 8/6/2014Food was great, service was okay - need waitress. Recommend the crap soup. Dessert trio was really good, can't best hot donut holes.Special Features:
- Great place for Pizza and drinksm22302Dined on 8/5/2014I love going here and trying a new pizza every visit! Great place for after work HH with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!deelicious11VIPDined on 8/3/2014Got the matchbox mimosa, skillet cinnamon rolls, and the breakfast pizza! All were great. Cinnamon rolls were my fave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre servicejuke13Dined on 8/2/2014The food was good. The service was slow. We were thinking of ordering desserts, but it took 15 minutes for our server to return for our selection. I would still return despite that. There are other items on the menu I'd like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPegs1Dined on 8/1/2014We had a great dinner for four here on Sat night, without breaking the bank. Food was excellent, We ordered the 6 sliders and shrimp and grits as appetizers. My husband loved the shrimp and grits, while the rest of us ate up the fried onions and burgers. Three of us had pizzas, while my daughter had a salad with chicken. Everyone was happy with their choices. We had 2 special cocktails , a glass of wine and lemonade. All for around $140. Will definitely be back again. We sat in a booth upstairs, Had plenty of room and was not noisy. Our waitress was attentive and food was served promptly. Very pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great but noise deafeningBarbinDCDined on 8/1/2014I would go to this Matchbox more often if they did something to absorb the noise. But it's not fun to yell at your lunch partner!Special Features:
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 7/31/2014Outstnding pizza and salmon, preceded by an amazing gazpacho! The special brownie dessert was delicius and perfect for sharing. Nietzsche provided outstanding service.Special Features:
- Five starsfoodieDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I love coming here. Their service is wonderful and food is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 265 reviews are from the Matchbox - Chinatown reviews archive.
- Change of paceLove4foodDined on 7/29/2014The Chinatown location was heads above the one in Rockville. Food was good and server was attentive. Went on week night and it was jammed but had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Cinnamon Rolls, BatmanWingedPeachDined on 7/27/2014Went for brunch with my sister. The staff is very kind here. We ordered the cinnamon rolls and the prosciutto white pizza. Both were very different and delicious. The cinnamon rolls were fluffy which we liked and the ingredients on the pizza were of very good quality. I hope to visit again!Special Features:
- Great pre-concert dinnerTrikkeRiderDined on 7/26/2014Had tickets to see Billy Joel at 8PM so made a reservation for 6PM. Skipped past the 25 people waiting for a table and was seated immediately. The cream of crab soup is killer!!!! The pizza was thin crust and had just the right amount of sauce and zesty flavor. Didn't have any dessert but saw some donuts at a neighboring table and they looked divine. Just didn't have room for another bite.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch, cheerful staff.UpforNewSpotsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great patio with awning. Perfect Chinatown location. Loved the apple pear salad and brunch French toast. Accommodating staff and upbeat vibe. Nice sized space. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!moohp2008Dined on 7/24/2014We dined here on a Thursday night. We had a previous reservation and were automatically taken to an available table. They were busy for later on a Thursday. We were seated on the second level upstairs at a pretty small table. My boyfriend is 6'6 so we could have used some extra space but I do understand it was limited that night. The food was great and had great timing. The highlight was our server. She was friendly and engaging and made great recommendations. I was impressed! This was my first time at this location, having been to the Eastern Market location several times. A different atmosphere but I would return. I love the food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodsharonDined on 7/24/2014The food was absolutely fabulous. A must try if you are anywhere close. Our service was really great as well. The only reason I did not give 5 stars was the 20+ minute wait after our reservation time. And you really shouls make reservations for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyKathDined on 7/23/2014Good salad, great pizza. No wonder they are always busy!Special Features:
- Consistently goodFrequentFoodieDined on 7/22/2014I'm always impressed that they have more than just pizza on the menu, but at the same time, I can never bear to order anything except the pizza because it is so divine. Great and unusual combinations (prosciutto, fig, honey, and arugula), along with some traditionals. The crust is so tasty, and the toppings so good that both my friend and I practically inhaled our pizza. We really had great service-- very polite and attentive, and we were not rushed us in spite of it being lunchtime, which was a nice change for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 7/21/2014Best pizza in DC, along with the best mini-burgers. The service this time was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice service, but...tm2000VIPDined on 7/20/2014We had shrimp and grits app (really good); crab cake sandwich (very good); scallops (excellent) and apple cobbler with salted carmel ice cream (coma inducing). The only negative was the two top seating on the second floor at an elevated bar stool/bench configuration which was very uncomfortable and made having a conversation impossible due to the noise. Even though four top booths were available, we heard staff decline requests by other twosomes to sit at them. Aside from the seating issue, the food and service was great. It's in my neighborhood, so I am sure we will be back.Special Features:
- Meatball pizzakaleykaley13Dined on 7/20/2014I came to Matchbox Chinatown to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile for dinner. It was a little bit noisy and sometimes hard to hear each other, but the energy of the somewhat small, vertical, warm restaurant was overall nice. It was a Sunday night and still very busy. We each had a salad-- somewhat basic, but delicious-- and then we shared the larger size of one of the pizzas. It had a zesty tomato sauce with bacon bits, onions, and big meatballs. We were feeling hungry and indulgent so it really hit the spot, very cheesy and satisfying if a bit heavy. I would probably visit this restaurant again, mainly just if I wanted some really good pizza.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedMishDined on 7/20/2014I've been to other Matchbox restaurants but I was a hot disappointed. The bisque was a bit too salty, but the salad was good. The apple crisp was way too sweet. Each note seemed to be clumps of brown sugar. Normally I love sweet desserts but it was too much for me. However, the service was great. Our waitress was very nice and easy to find when we needed her. After this, I may just stick with the Capitol Hill location.
- Delicious!foodfreakVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food was absolutely delicious. I went to Matchbox for brunch when the menu is only so many items long and I still had so much trouble choosing what to eat. Everything sounded and looked amazing. Great service as well.Special Features:
- VictoriaJaneDined on 7/19/2014The dinner was really good. My only pet peeve was that the description of my dinner did not match up to what came out. I ordered the Shrimp rigattoni, which was advertised as a creamy cajun sauce and shrimp. When it came out, only three shrimp were in the entire dish and it was more of an oily liquid sauce. It was still good though, I just wasn't expecting it. Overall great restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food, but don't sit outsideChrissyVADined on 7/19/2014The food was good, albeit a bit overpriced given the ambiance. I also would not recommend sitting outside as you are interrupted frequently by folks on the sidewalk/street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as normalFoodJunkieVIPDined on 7/19/2014I usually not only suggest this for all tourist, but I drag all of my out-of-town guest to this great local chain pizza haunt. I planned this visit for the brunch group outing and it was a disaster from the start. We were seated at the worst seat in the place. I almost asked to be seated elsewhere (probably should have it might have led to better service). They did not give us enough menu's & as one of our guest reached over the table to share my menu we knocked over a full bellini - which they made us replace at full cost! We used all of our napkins to clean up the mess and we were left without replacements for a long time. We got coffee without spoons and without sugar/cream. We had to ask twice. We had long wait for the check. Bad.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Messed up our order slightly, very slow, small portions. Food was kind of salty... has gone downhill lately.
- EXCELLENT FOOD/SHRIMP & GRITSnaenaeVIPDined on 7/15/2014This is an excellent restaurant to where the staff is always so friendly and upbeat from the time that you enter the restaurant. You must try the shrimp and grits!!!! In addtiion, you can not go wrong with any pizza or any of the items on the menu. Oh, yes, one more thing their cream corn with the Scallops is an excellent meal, the cream corn is superb. :-)Special Features:
- ChantinaJacksonVIPDined on 7/12/2014I love this place and the food is always excellent and the service is very good.Special Features:
- Definitely Coming Back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014My brother was in town visiting from Houston, TX and he wanted to go somewhere "cool". My husband and I decided to take him to Matchbox-Chinatown on a friends recommendation. It was just that... a very "cool" and happening place. The food and service was outstanding. The aroma of the food was great...it was a pleasure just watching all the amazing pizza's and sliders going by our table on their way to a packed restaurants tables. Our three selections were perfectly prepared and presented. The drinks were heavenly and the dessert was decadent. Will definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- Parking validationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2014We called early in the afternoon the day of our reservation to see if they offered valet service because of the torrential down pour that was happening. She said they did not but there was a parking garage and they validated parking. Well, the garage was about 2 blocks away and after dinner they gave us a restaurant manager's card with the date and time on it because they had run out of the validation cards. This did not work at the garage as there was no way for the garage to scan it or know of it was valid. So we paid a lot...which suckedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmospherewstokes33Dined on 7/6/2014The atmosphere was unique and family friendly. The food was good and was a little pricey, but overall it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!rinasDined on 7/5/2014I come here for the food. As always, the huevos rancheros, brunch pizza, and skillet cinnamon rolls were delightful.Special Features:
- Love It!Akumaplex003Dined on 7/4/2014Matchbox is hands down my favorite restaurant in DC. While there selections of beers and spirits is breaded in the DC indie beer scene. I can't get enough of their food. Matchbox meat is my absolutely favorite. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuckedMattDined on 7/3/2014Food other than the pizza was flavorless and dry. Pizza was decent but overpriced. Service was the worst part -- we made a reservation but still waited 30 min for a table, which we found by walking around and pointing out an empty table to the hostess. Also, they charge for bread.
- Ok but manage expectationsTeeAnnVIPDined on 7/1/2014I've been to the MB in Capitol Hill and didn't realize the menu was somewhat different at the Chinatown location which was a disappointment for what I had planned to order. That said, we got a special which was a salmon dish and was very good. My biggest concern that would give me pause for going back to this location was our section was VERY loud. I had intended to go to have a conversation and found myself having to raise my voice pretty high to be heard. Again, Cap Hill location didn't have this issue.Special Features: