Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: 2022894441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (94)neighborhood gem (85)good for groups (83)fit for foodies (77)hot spot (72)kid-friendly (45)late-night find (41)great for brunch (40)special occasion (35)vibrant bar scene (31)great for outdoor dining (23)romantic (20)notable wine list (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great birthday lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Took my friend here for his birthday lunch. Pizza and salad were excellent, and the waitress brought out a dessert sampler with a candle at the end. It was perfect!Special Features:
- Great all around!JamesDined on 9/16/2014We sat in the back of the very top floor. It was quiet and really nice. Usually service isn't so great in these back areas, but we were proved wrong. We had pizza, which is a great thin crust, there is also the option to get half and half on the toppings. The prosciutto and figs was delicious! It was a little sweet, but the arugula helped cut the sweetness. The cider selection was just Jacks in a can, but they did have a very good cocktail menu. Dessert was fantastic!! The doughnuts and coffee was really awesome, and the sorbets were fresh and inventive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014After a matiness at the Shakespeare Theater, I took my mother to Matchbox, just to try something unique. The atmosphere was informal and very unique. The wait staff was very helpful in providing recommendations. The food was well prepared and tasty.Special Features:
- My second time visitingUnsureVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food and service was amazing. They removed one of my favorite appetizers from the menu but everything I have ordered so far has been simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs workChristyGVIPDined on 9/13/2014I've eaten at various Matchbox locations many times. The food is good and the bar scene is lively. This visit in Chinatown, we had to wait for 35 minutes for our table and that is WITH a reservation. Clearly no one is managing the turn over in tables to ensure those with reservations get seated promptly. Then our server ignored us throughout dinner and took our forks after appetizers and salads but never brought more. My husband had to get up and walk over to the server's station to get forks TWICE! Servers walked past our table multiple times but never checked in to see if we needed anything, even when we had food on the table but weren't eating because we had no forks. Bad night for Matchbox and our last visit for the foreseeable future.
- Great Food!DCGovtContractorDined on 9/11/2014I always love the food and they never disappoint in terms of selection, quality and taste. Love Matchbox!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in downtown DCSabrina84Dined on 9/8/2014Both pizza and meat were excellent, the ribs were especially tender and very tasty. Interesting cocktail list. The infusion based cocktails have a very low level of alcohol though. The atmosphere is really nice, booths are better than the high tables, less comfortable. The third floor seems more romantic than the second. I recommend this restaurant well located in downtown DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True GemjessinthemiddleDined on 8/30/2014Loved, loved loved Matchbox. The service was great, the food was delicious and the ambience was cool and casual. I even stepped out of my comfort zone and tried the chocolate bread pudding. It was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I enjoyed the food, but the service left a lot to be desired. This is the second time I've visited your location where the service was mediocre.
- A Fun Little TreatpaokansasVIPDined on 8/27/2014Matchbox has lots of energy - the waiters, the ambience, the atmosphere, the diners. It is a fun place that sets the mood. The food was delicious (though my salmon was a tad overcooked), and the prices were right.Special Features:
- Always a great timeDorieDDined on 8/26/2014I always have a pleasant experience at Matchbox. A great place to fellowship with friends and family.Special Features:
- A good lunch time dining spotInfrequentFoodieDined on 8/26/2014My recent visit to Matchbox was a surprisingly good dining experience. The staff are attentive, pleasant and ready to assist from the moment you walk into the door. The decor was very trendy and welcoming. It would be a good option for any meal day or night. I had their pizza and my guest had a chicken sandwich that she returned for. I would return and am looking forward to trying the other items on their menu. Their french fries looked to die for and smelled amazing :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014My lunchtime experience with this restaurant was great from the time my party and I walked in until we left. The hostess was friendly and attentive while still being quite professional. Our server was very professional, attentive, efficient and friendly. The food was excellent. Honestly, that is one of the best Angus burgers I have ever had. We will come back again, either for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- lobsterloveDined on 8/25/2014My husband was craving pizza so I looked on my Trip Advisor for reviews. This restaurant came very highly recommended. Everyone in my party said, Pizza in China Town???? They thought I was crazy but soon found out it was awesome! We didn't just have pizza we had the crab soup, salads and appetizers. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Awesome!AsdfghjklDined on 8/25/2014I work in DC and brought my parents in for moms birthday and they really did a wonderful surprise for her, excellent food, service, and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pre theater or event diningBoraDined on 8/19/2014great service provided for pre theater dining. food is fine but nothing to rave about. Small patio for dining is quieter than inside.Special Features:
- Overratedagamble1983Dined on 8/17/2014For some reason, I really liked Matchbox the last time I dined in; however, after this time I will not return. For one, the drink menu is not the most important menu and should not be presented as such especially given that not everyone drinks. Second, the menu and food is just okay and nothing short of average although the prices are high for the quality. I was really disappointed with the pizza as my boyfriend and I both had acid indigestion the rest of the night and that never happens. The service was not bad but it was chaotic and super noisy. It is really convenient to the Verizon Center. On my way out, a waitress cut my boyfriend off on the stairs and he backed up and landed on my very exposed big toe yet she just kept going.
- Try the chickenLarryVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was the restaurant that started a local flock of Matchbox and Ted's Bulletin locations. Wood-fired pizza is supposed to be the star attraction but my wife, the family pizza expert, says it's not that distinctive. Instead, try the crispy roasted chicken. It's excellent, as was our appetizer of crab and avacado salad, a big mound of it. Service was especially good, friendly and helpful.
- wonderful find for lunchvacationerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Right next to metro stop, great service (friendly, upbeat, and there when you needed them) and my friend and I loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeNevergowrongDined on 8/11/2014Took my kids their for a day out. We went for pizza and dessert. Everything was great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1jjmoDined on 8/9/2014This place has very good reviews in the first place. Came here for my birthday and it was great. Food and service was excellent. Must try their pizza and burger sliders. The magic brownie was awesome. Couldn't have picked a better place for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and drinks were amazing...foodieguyDined on 8/7/2014The food and drinks were amazing. We had a great pizza and the staff very knowledgeable about the beer and the menu.Special Features:
- Matchbox MemoriesMatchboxmemoriesDined on 8/7/2014In DC for the very first time & friends recommended Matchbox. Was there with my husband and 12 year old daughter. Loved it so much we ate there twice in one week! Sat on 2nd level at the back where it was a little quieter which was nice after walking all day. Maya, our server was awesome! Friendly and very helpful. Loved the specials. Mojito & Avocado salad were amazing & incredibly memorable! Can't wait to get back to DC to go to Matchbox again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for lunchBWFoodieDined on 8/7/2014This was my first time at Matchbox, and was not disappointed. The crab and avocado salad was really delicious and the Monte Cristo (special) was on point. Cho was our server, and had a great combination of food knowledge, professionalism and genuine warmth. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great dinner with friendspandy445Dined on 8/6/2014Food was great, service was okay - need waitress. Recommend the crap soup. Dessert trio was really good, can't best hot donut holes.Special Features:
- Yum!deelicious11VIPDined on 8/3/2014Got the matchbox mimosa, skillet cinnamon rolls, and the breakfast pizza! All were great. Cinnamon rolls were my fave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre servicejuke13Dined on 8/2/2014The food was good. The service was slow. We were thinking of ordering desserts, but it took 15 minutes for our server to return for our selection. I would still return despite that. There are other items on the menu I'd like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPegs1Dined on 8/1/2014We had a great dinner for four here on Sat night, without breaking the bank. Food was excellent, We ordered the 6 sliders and shrimp and grits as appetizers. My husband loved the shrimp and grits, while the rest of us ate up the fried onions and burgers. Three of us had pizzas, while my daughter had a salad with chicken. Everyone was happy with their choices. We had 2 special cocktails , a glass of wine and lemonade. All for around $140. Will definitely be back again. We sat in a booth upstairs, Had plenty of room and was not noisy. Our waitress was attentive and food was served promptly. Very pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great but noise deafeningBarbinDCDined on 8/1/2014I would go to this Matchbox more often if they did something to absorb the noise. But it's not fun to yell at your lunch partner!Special Features:
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 7/31/2014Outstnding pizza and salmon, preceded by an amazing gazpacho! The special brownie dessert was delicius and perfect for sharing. Nietzsche provided outstanding service.Special Features:
- Five starsfoodieDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I love coming here. Their service is wonderful and food is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceLove4foodDined on 7/29/2014The Chinatown location was heads above the one in Rockville. Food was good and server was attentive. Went on week night and it was jammed but had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Cinnamon Rolls, BatmanWingedPeachDined on 7/27/2014Went for brunch with my sister. The staff is very kind here. We ordered the cinnamon rolls and the prosciutto white pizza. Both were very different and delicious. The cinnamon rolls were fluffy which we liked and the ingredients on the pizza were of very good quality. I hope to visit again!Special Features:
- Great pre-concert dinnerTrikkeRiderDined on 7/26/2014Had tickets to see Billy Joel at 8PM so made a reservation for 6PM. Skipped past the 25 people waiting for a table and was seated immediately. The cream of crab soup is killer!!!! The pizza was thin crust and had just the right amount of sauce and zesty flavor. Didn't have any dessert but saw some donuts at a neighboring table and they looked divine. Just didn't have room for another bite.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch, cheerful staff.UpforNewSpotsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great patio with awning. Perfect Chinatown location. Loved the apple pear salad and brunch French toast. Accommodating staff and upbeat vibe. Nice sized space. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!moohp2008Dined on 7/24/2014We dined here on a Thursday night. We had a previous reservation and were automatically taken to an available table. They were busy for later on a Thursday. We were seated on the second level upstairs at a pretty small table. My boyfriend is 6'6 so we could have used some extra space but I do understand it was limited that night. The food was great and had great timing. The highlight was our server. She was friendly and engaging and made great recommendations. I was impressed! This was my first time at this location, having been to the Eastern Market location several times. A different atmosphere but I would return. I love the food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodsharonDined on 7/24/2014The food was absolutely fabulous. A must try if you are anywhere close. Our service was really great as well. The only reason I did not give 5 stars was the 20+ minute wait after our reservation time. And you really shouls make reservations for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyKathDined on 7/23/2014Good salad, great pizza. No wonder they are always busy!Special Features:
- Consistently goodFrequentFoodieDined on 7/22/2014I'm always impressed that they have more than just pizza on the menu, but at the same time, I can never bear to order anything except the pizza because it is so divine. Great and unusual combinations (prosciutto, fig, honey, and arugula), along with some traditionals. The crust is so tasty, and the toppings so good that both my friend and I practically inhaled our pizza. We really had great service-- very polite and attentive, and we were not rushed us in spite of it being lunchtime, which was a nice change for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 7/21/2014Best pizza in DC, along with the best mini-burgers. The service this time was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.