Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: (202) 289-4441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
302 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)good for groups (108)neighborhood gem (105)great for lunch (105)hot spot (88)kid-friendly (46)vibrant bar scene (42)great for brunch (37)late-night find (35)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (29)notable wine list (20)romantic (17)scenic view (3)Show More
- Kids come firstRpskVIPDined on 11/23/2014When you come with a party of six and only one is actually SIX YEARS OLD, please make sure that the child is amongst the first served. NOT the very last. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Also, don't be in such a rush to clear my plate that I still have (finger) food in my hand and a full mouth when you come to take it away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Before or After Wizards Caps or HoyaskramalotVIPDined on 11/19/2014Easy to get in and out quickly before a game. Just make sure you have a reservation. This place is crowded on game nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kjgardnerDined on 11/19/2014The pizza is a bit expensive, but probably not out of line for restaurants in the area. And they do not charge extra if you order two halves with different ingredients. Good beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/service, but the restaurant is coldFoodieQDined on 11/18/2014The food is good--they've consolidated their previous menus from all locations citywide for a more uniform dinning experience. Enjoyed the Q special pizza and the fruit pizza. Always enjoy the house made donuts with Kahlua creme sauce. Our server was very good, friendly and attentive. Our only gripe was that the area of the restaurant we were seated in was cold--not well heated and next to a take out door which unlike the front door had no heat lamps to mitigate the chill Nov. air. The manager closed off the door for us, which helped, but the glass enclosed former patio (?) area in which we were seated was just not meant for winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat Pizza...thin crust and spicy!StaJayDined on 11/16/2014Really enjoyed the thin crust meat pizza. Host recommended using the pepper honey on the crust- it was delish! Sunday late afternoon it's not packed. Our server Taylor was very attentive-I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time!marchinDCDined on 11/16/2014I've been to Matchbox for the pizza before, but this was my first time trying them for brunch. They were extremely accommodating, the service was prompt and friendly, and the food was amazing. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night spotTroyDined on 11/15/2014Stopped here before the Wizards game Saturday night. Excellent food that was on the table within 12 minutes of ordering. Loved our waitress. All around great night out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Pizza & Burger!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2014I had the Fire & Smoke pizza - incredible! Perfect balance between great taste and spicy. My wife had a burger - one of the best that I've tasted. Cooked to perfection (medium-rare), with a great char. When we go back, and we will, it will be a tough choice between getting a pizza again or a burger. Only downside was that the drink service was a little slow. We sat upstairs, 3 feet away from a bar, it was only half full when we went, and drinks (beers) took 10 to 15 minute to arrive. Besides that, A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good PizzaGallitorojoDined on 11/10/2014The Matchbox meat pizza was very good, but Ty's chopped salad is my favorite menu item. I liked the ambiance and service better at the 8th Street SE location better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDabassVIPDined on 11/9/2014Great place to meet friends! Good ambiance and great food.Special Features:
- Great find in Chinatownbim08Dined on 11/9/2014Had never been, but we went to Matchbox in Chinatown since we could make a reservation before a concert. It got very good reviews online, but had read the service was slow. My friend's and my food, the crab appetizer and salmon dinner over requested vegetable rice, were very, very good and our service was attentive, not slow. But even better was the dessert pizza we got -- a small-medium thin pizza crust with delicious marzapone, lighty topped with fresh berries, fresh mint, sweetish sauce and a bit of a vinegary contrasting taste here and there. It was one the most delicous, sophisticated desserts I'd ever tasted! I would go back to this restaurant tomorrow. The design and tables were also hip and attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServicebrownluvDined on 11/9/2014The hostess and our waiter was outstanding. The staff quickly greeted us took our orders and accomodated all special requests without any issues or making us feel foolish. The food was great. I love the atmosphere and the fact the booth can seat 6 grown-ups comforatably. Matchbox is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great FoodALtransplantDined on 11/8/2014Our waitress Maria was wonderful- very attentive and dealt with our dietary restrictions without even a hint of a complaint or inconvenience. The food was excellent as well, with a friend saying it was the best salmon she's ever had. Overall, one of my favorite places to take friends for a good meal and cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointTHD68Dined on 11/8/2014I had heard good things about Matchbox. The staff was very friendly despite the large crowd. Our server was attentive and knowledgable. Thanks to her suggestions, we had a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMitchmgDined on 11/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the Matchbox. Went there with friends and everybody enjoyed their meals. I had the Spicy Meatball pizza, which was terrific. A little bit of heat and a lot of taste. My wife had scallops which were perfectly cooked and matched nicely with creamed corn. Would definitely go back. The only downside was that the place was packed before the Washington Capitals game, so it was hard to get to our table and was pretty noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunaDinerDined on 11/5/2014Enjoyed the pizza and sliders! Great place for a quick bite before a game at the Verizon Center -- just remember to reserve a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealkarenDined on 11/4/2014Had a great meal before the Caps game. Wait staff understood time line and delivered food in a very timely manner. We had the sliders, egg roll and then two pizzas. Everything was great but the sliders are definitely the star on the menu! Tender, cooked perfectly and very flavorful. Like to try other things but always seem to go back to the sliders! Now if the Capitals could just deliver a win it would have been a perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicepandinerDined on 11/3/2014Had a quick bite after visiting museums. Great service, the waiter had on the spot suggestions for everyone in the family. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth itmatchpointDined on 11/2/2014Our booth was near a vent in the ceiling, making our experience a little cold. The food, however, was well worth it! They have a great selection, too, of appetizers: the mini burgers were a hit among our group.Special Features:
- Not perfect, but a solid performerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014Excellent lamb stew special, take a pass on the sliders, fulfillment of drinks ordered from your table is bafflingly slow, but the product is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not spectaculatJP23Dined on 11/2/2014I have nothing bad to say but nothing great either. We split the breakfast pizza and it was good but it wasn't like, "oh my god, I have to have another piece" type of thing. Our wee one had a wallet and nothing wrong there, it was nice to get it as a side item for $3 and not more bc kids prices are outrageous especially for the under 5 set. I was disappointed the bloody marys and mimosas were so high, it was near the price of an entree, so I couldn't justify it. The server and hostess were good and attentive and we appreciated the offer to fill up my wee one's milk for the ride home. All in all good, I'd be interested in going back for dinner and trying something new.Special Features:
- Pre-concert DinnerDonnaDined on 10/31/2014Went here with a group of 12, on our way to the Fleetwood Mac concert. Our meal and experience was perfect! We were sat upstairs, where we felt like we had our own private space, food and drinks arrived promptly, and they were able to split our bill, correctly giving each couple their own check. Everyone seemed very happy with their food. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place anytimealaskak8VIPDined on 10/31/2014We had a wonderful lunch at Matchbox. Having dined here several times, I am always amazed by how wonderful the food is. Two of us shared a pizza--just a wonderful crust and perfect amount of toppings. The third member of our party enjoyed the Slider Trio. Again, a wonderful combination. Our waiter was attentive, interactive and a great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-GameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014I have visited Matchbox many times prior to Caps games. The service is very good and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just businessrndtwn2dineDined on 10/28/2014Casual quality. Great place for casual get together after a day full of meetings. A welcoming and friendly service staff and front desk. The crowd is a good mix of age groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed this placeGardensgirlDined on 10/27/2014My out of town guests really enjoyed this restaurant. It was not crowded at all and we were seated promptly and service was very attentive and informative. My guests both ordered the short-ribs which they declared were "the best ever". The crab and avocado app was tasty too. I had the sausage rigatoni which was very spicy, just like I like. Dessert was okay...... Overall, our experience was enjoyable and tasty.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 10/27/2014Best pizza and mini-burgers in DC. Generally excellent service. Well priced for the quality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowd-pleaserGreatPizza1Dined on 10/24/2014This was the perfect dinner spot for everyone in our family. The varied menu had excellent choices for those who don't like pizza to those who live healthy, gourmet foods. We LOVED this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much Salt, Ok serviceMethreeVIPDined on 10/24/2014My coworkers and I went there for lunch. One had the shrimp and grits which had WAY too much salt. When she complained the manager told us that he offered her more grits! He then said that he would talk to the chef and regional chef director who was there. The manager offered her another dish, the plain cheese pizza she ordered also had too much salt. My other friend was given a corned beef sandwich was mostly gristle (the end scrapes) and slaw. My pizza was ok but seemed a bit salty. They ordered desserts since they had had almost nothing edible. We had to ask for it go since it took so long to get it. Both the manager and the waitress came by multiple times but didn't notice that the corned beef wasn't eaten until I told them.
- I will be going back again.HDFHTBOYDined on 10/24/2014This was a great place and the staff is very friendly. After we had ordered we kept seeing food go by and saying, that looks good so I will be going back and trying other items off of the menu. I had the Brick Oven Pizza today and it was great.Special Features:
- On pointeindcVIPDined on 10/22/2014Per usual, Matchbox was on point. Also a solid go-to with a broad menu to please all hankerings. Great service and wonderful food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014The food was good if you like spicy. Most everything we had provided a bit of a punch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuck!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014I had the scallops. Skimpy, way overpriced for lunch, and the corn side that came with it was so unhealthy.
- ChinaTown DelightDining4Food2EatDined on 10/19/2014My date and I had a delightful time at Match Box. I kept hearing, over & over, from my date how beautiful all the food looked. We both shared the Trio appetizers and ordered drinks. For dinner my date had (shrimp & grits) and I ordered the (pan seared salmon w/zucchini & squash). The presentation of the food was immensely beautiful. The food looked and tasted absolutely amazing. Everything we were presented looked so beautiful and tasted so wonderful that we both decided to consume only half our meals in order to save room for dessert. We ordered the (triple sampler of "match box donuts, brownie w/vanilla ice cream and sherbet). A very delicious ending to a very delightful night. The atmosphere was both alive and very comforting.Special Features:
- Excellent overallHappynottocookDined on 10/19/2014Food was excellent and a nice variety. Waiter made it very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchTMNB85Dined on 10/19/2014Upon arrival Matchbox was not the chain restaurant I had pictured. It was quiet for Sunday and trendier than I imagined. Five of us were happy to be sat in an oversized booth. The brunch menu looked delicious - most ordered crab Benedict and we ordered skillet buns for the table. I service was slower than slow- 10 mins to get coffee, had to request refills etc. the portions were small to medium size and while not what we expected very good. The crab cakes were delicious not much filler. The buns were very good but similar to those you can make at home. Overall we were pleased with our choice and would recomend or go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp and Grits are back!!!naenaeVIPDined on 10/18/2014The Shrimp and Grits are back!!! Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!! This is an excellent course, for some strange reason it was taken off the menu, but it's back!!! I would strongly recommend this course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good nightScotteDined on 10/15/2014we were seated immediately. greeted and served quickly. Food was tasty and the service was polite.Special Features:
- SuGarCDined on 10/14/2014Casual, quick, and fun. Very good service. Excellent pizza. Good beer selection. Desserts exceeded expectations. For the "more mature" crowd, be aware that there are multiple levels and there are stairs to negotiate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Caps game dinnermamawintDined on 10/14/2014we had only about 45 minutes before a Caps game. Service was great - got us in /out in time. We both had tuna salad ... it was great! Great pre-game spot. Be sure to make reservations!